AVS Forum banner
5M views 57K replies 3K participants last post by  caper_1 
#1 ·
Unless I missed it I have noticed there is no thread for Energy owners so I thought I'd start one.

Just a place to discuss information about what line of speakers you have, what you use them for (ie music, HT etc) and what system you match them with. Its also great to hear about the different lines that Energy carry and am curious to hear what owners have to say (like the new Reference Connoisseur for instance).

I am currently running the Take 5 system with the e:XL-S10 sub. However I have recently purchased the Connoisseur Line including:

Fronts: C-3 Bookshelf

Center: C-C1 Center

Surround: C-R3's.

I run the Take's with a Onkyo TX-DS656 Receiver (soon to be replaced) and a Toshiba DVD player. New LCD to make the whole package complete soon..:)

So, post your Energy set-ups and opinions.

Thanks

See less See more
#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/0

Hey guys, in my recent frenzy of buying a bunch of Athenas ive decided to try out some Energys too to a/b against them.,

I was thinking about just buying 3 sets of the C-3s and using a C-3 for center duty.

Has anyone here tried a C-3 for center duty in leu of the CC-1 center?

The C3 will be much better as a center channel speaker than the CC1. That's a perfect plan that you have.

#83 ·
Grrrrr, Why would Energy replace everything in the C-Series and not bring in a replacement for the C7 and C9. Plus even if you go for the C-500 its drivers are 6.5" which doesnt match with the C-C100 and C-R100 which have 5.5" drivers. I'll have a read through some of the threads but has anyone listened to the new C Series? any comments on them.

Cheers

MG

#84 ·
One person reported that he bought the new C-200 but returned it to buy the C-3. I guess the C-500 model is a replacement for C-7.

But one thing to note MG, you can't look at the driver sizes in the center and assume they won't match the sound of the larger towers, but I do agree they should come out with a C-C200 or something to match the larger towers like they did with the C-C3, something with better bass extension so one can use a lower crossover for all the front speakers.

I haven't heard them, my dealer says they are definitely a step sideways or even downwards compared to the previous C-series. Their MSRP is lower than the old series to avoid overlapping the RC series (which is a definitely improvement over the older C-series).

So if you can get your hands on the older ones at the firesale prices, they are a much better buy.

#86 ·
I'm the proud owner of a Take 5.1 system. I've owned it for 7-8 years now. For power I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX-33TX

I did moocho homework and listening when purchasing,...and if I was to do it all over again...no question Energy loudspeakers.

#87 ·
Last minute change. I bought a pair of the C3's at Audio Advisor to use as fronts instead of the C1's. I also purchased the CC1 from them as well. The C1's I got off of Ebay for cheap. Looks like I'll receive everything by the end of the week. Now to decide on a sub and a dvd player... Does it ever end?

#88 ·
I just bought some C-1's to go with my C-3's in a 5.1 config. I couldn't find a CC-3 so I bought a Definitive 2002 CLR from magnolia with a nice little gift card I had. The speaker is an OK match. Its a little more course than the C-3's and doest have the bass extension but it looks rather nice.

#89 ·
Gadget,

Yeah, true about driver sizing, will need to listen to them before deciding. The thing is the older C-series was just pushing my budget a smidge, so if I cant get the older ones and the new RC series is a little more expensive compared to the older C-series then I may not be able to afford them.

I just spoke to one of the stockists of Energy in Perth (a Canadian
funny enough) and he was saying he thinks sonically the New C series is comparable to the old, but the RC are a cut above, so I'm going in on Saturday for a demo and i'll let you know what I think.

Also price wise he mentioned the RC start lower than the old C-series but go higher in price, so looks like the RC-70 which is the flagship may be out my reach, but there maybe alternatives which sound just as good.

Also as a side note I don't think that they have any of the old C-series in stock anymore.

Cheerio

MG

#90 ·
I've got the encore speakers powered with an Denon 1801. I'd like to move to 7.1 and add another set of speakers.

The Denon was also pitched to me when I bought the speakers, but I'd like something else. The outlaw 990 looks good. Anybody use that with the energy speakers?

Any thoughts on what pair I should add? Does anybody use dipole with the encore system for the sides?

#91 ·
I am in the process of finishing my theater room, and putting together my first real system. I went to a local shop yesterday and they showed me the new Energy C-Series. Now, I am not an audiophile or anything, but they sounded superb to me. The guys at the shop thought very highly of them as well. They did say the Reference series was a step up, but for less than I can get a decent system at Best Buy, I can get the C-Series:

C-500 Fronts

C-C100 Center

C-R100 Sides

C-50 Rears

Total MSRP was like $1400, and they said they'd work a deal with me to knock some more off. So, there may be better speakers, but for the money, these looked and sounded pretty sweet to me.

Also, picked up a Mirage S12 sub for $400 today, should compliment the Energys nicely.

Andy

#93 ·
Nope, but without going into too much detail, the off-axis response of the CC-1 just isn't very good, whereas the C3's is excellent. If you are going to sit right in front of the speaker I suppose it wouldn't matter too much.

Even if that wasn't the case, 3 identical speakers would still be better 90% of the time.

In fact, the ironic thing is that most center channel speakers are really bad at doing their job. The good ones will have a midrange above/below the tweeter. The CC-3 is one such speaker.

#94 ·
sajandrew - i have the c-500's and c-c100 and am very pleased with them. They didn't have the cr-100's in stock yet, but I am looking at gettting some. Just wondering where you live and what store you are buying from? Also, do you have the price on the cr-100's?

I was thinking of going with 4 cr-100's for my sides and rears, I see you are looking at the c-50's for the rears, did the store recommend these to you or are they your choice?

Thanks Mike

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG77 /forum/post/0

Gadget,

I just spoke to one of the stockists of Energy in Perth (a Canadian
funny enough) and he was saying he thinks sonically the New C series is comparable to the old, but the RC are a cut above, so I'm going in on Saturday for a demo and i'll let you know what I think.

MG

Okay, Went to one of the stockists for Energy here in West Australia and demoed the RC-70 and RC-50. IMO I think these are the best speakers I have heard since I started sampling what is out in the market atm. The RC-70 have nice lows, beautiful mids and crisp, clean and controlled highs, a real joy to listen to. The RC-50's are also up there, they lose a little bit of the lows but still have clean mids and highs. Cabinet quality is very nice too, real wood veneers looked the goods.

Also demoed the new C Series, and must say I am disappointed in the sound quality, IMO they lacked definition and sounded flat, good lows but not enough guts in the mid range. Loved the piano finish though.

The problem I face is one of cost, the RC-70s retailed for $4000.00 Australian Dollars, thats about $3420.00 CAD - I guess we pay import duty and tax to get these babies from Canada, but nevertheless, way out of my price range. Even the RC-50's are $3000.00 AUD ($2560.00 CAD).

So I cant afford my Energy's this time round.

I demoed some B&W's the DM603 S3 Floor stands and IMO (although not in the same class as the RC's) have a very nice sound, nice lows, good clean mids and controlled highs much nicer that the new C series IMO and comparable in price to the C-500's. So at this stage that is what I am looking at going with. I really would love the RC's though.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Yamaha RX-V2600 Amp

Cheerio,

MG

#98 ·
Looking for online sites to purchase some Energy Take FPS and SAT for surrounds to go along with my 50" Panny plasma. Have only found 2 sites any others would be helpfull. Thanks. I have one local dealer still recovering from hurricane Katrina..

#99 ·
I got my Energy speakers(C3, C1, CC1) Monday. I haven't got the surrounds hooked up(just finished building shelves for them) but the C3's and CC1 are quite amazing. They're a definite step up from my Athena Auditions. I would say they're on the warm side of neutral and are a lot easier to listen to than the Ahenas. I'll have my surrounds hooked up tonight, and will be picking up a Velodyne CHT-12 sub this Friday. I can't wait till everything is hooked up and calibrated
So far I'm a very happy customer.

#100 ·
mskeezer,

Great to hear! As I type this my C-3's, CC-1 and C-R3's are sitting beside me in boxes waiting to be moved to a new condo next month, so I am envious!

I kind of regret not being able to get my hands on a C-C3 center as some have stated the C-C1 is not close to the sound quality of the C-C3. Whats your opinion of the C-C1, how does it sound?

Let us know how the whole system sounds when you get it hooked up, anxious to see how your new sub sounds too.