Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #121 of 52431 Old 02-24-2006, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Khewa,

The 2.0Ci is fine. I was also concerned after reading some concerns about this speaker. Before I finalized my decision last year, I did spend quite a few hours listening to it along with the 2.2i's. I found the center to be pretty acurate with good presence. Certainly the perfect match for the 2.2i's. I would never mix manufacturers for L/R & C speakers.

Lastly, I also read a few reviews that were complimentary of the 2.0Ci. My advice, just listen for yourself. If you like the 2.2's, you will like the 2.0Ci.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 52431 Old 02-24-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

One interesting hybrid would be the Energy in the fronts with Mirage in the back. That would give a nice full sound with a nice diffuse soundfield for the rear channels. I have such a setup and it works great.

Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like great idea. Do you have the Energy C-3 or large speakers in the front? The Energy speakers seems to be a better quality speaker than the Athena's that I currently have.

So my new setup will be:

Fronts - (2) Energy Connoisseur C-3
Center - (1) Energy Connoisseur C-C1
Rear - (2) Mirage Omnistats
Sub - Mirage S12

Anyone else have any thoughts on this setup?
post #123 of 52431 Old 02-24-2006, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have C-3 with C-C3 center. Sounds great. You'll find the Energy has a smoother more supple treble than your Athenas.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #124 of 52431 Old 02-24-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musica View Post

Khewa,

The 2.0Ci is fine. I was also concerned after reading some concerns about this speaker. Before I finalized my decision last year, I did spend quite a few hours listening to it along with the 2.2i's. I found the center to be pretty acurate with good presence. Certainly the perfect match for the 2.2i's. I would never mix manufacturers for L/R & C speakers.

Lastly, I also read a few reviews that were complimentary of the 2.0Ci. My advice, just listen for yourself. If you like the 2.2's, you will like the 2.0Ci.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the feedback, musica. It's always good to get an opinion from the guys on street rather than the professional reviewers.
post #125 of 52431 Old 02-26-2006, 12:13 PM

For those of you that have had the opportunity, and resources to demo the new breed of receivers with the Energy line, what sounded best to you...and what did you choose? I have retired the 10 year old Denon, and had a HK 635 for a while, which did sound much better to me....but it should. Returned it when I learned of the 640 however. Would like some feedback though as I wait as there are no Energy dealers near me anymore, and I would rather not do the demo and return game..... I live a ways from any quality equipment. Sooo, what is the best sounding combos for my older but excellant C-series fronts and newly aquired RC-R surrounds to accompany my EFX set to go 7.1.
post #126 of 52431 Old 02-26-2006, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a full energy setup that I was able to buy right before they were discontinued. Got a great deal on the whole set last summer.

Pair of C-9s
CC-3 center
Pair of C-R3s
Pair of C-3s

Also have a pair of C-1s that I was thinking of using for a second stereo setup...
post #127 of 52431 Old 02-27-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motovet View Post

For those of you that have had the opportunity, and resources to demo the new breed of receivers with the Energy line, what sounded best to you...and what did you choose? I have retired the 10 year old Denon, and had a HK 635 for a while, which did sound much better to me....but it should. Returned it when I learned of the 640 however. Would like some feedback though as I wait as there are no Energy dealers near me anymore, and I would rather not do the demo and return game..... I live a ways from any quality equipment. Sooo, what is the best sounding combos for my older but excellant C-series fronts and newly aquired RC-R surrounds to accompany my EFX set to go 7.1.

??
post #128 of 52431 Old 02-27-2006, 09:27 AM

I have an HK AVR 7200 driving a pair of C-7's, a CC-1 center and a pair of C-1's for the rear. Sound's utterly fantastic. I've heard costlier, more powerful and refined systems, but for what I paid, I can't imagine doing better. I can vouch for the fact that HK is a great match for the Energy's.
post #129 of 52431 Old 02-27-2006, 09:56 AM

Motovet - I spent a lot of time looking for electronics to drive my Energy speakers. I listened to a number of receivers and separate components. I ended up purchasing Anthem separates. The decision was driven primarily based on sound quality (since I use the system primarily for music vs. video (70/30)) and secondly on HT features.

I listened to the following receivers with the Veritas 2.2i's:

- Denon - Had a good set of features however, did not have the power to fully drive the bottom end.
- Rotel - Not quite as feature rich as the Denon, but had a better bottom end. Still not quite to the task.
- Onkyo - OK, not as good as the Arcam.
- Arcam - Better receiver of this group with the 2.2i's.

I also listened to the Rotel separates. At the end of the day, the Anthem separates brought the speakers to life.

Bottom line, I ended up spending much more than I originally anticipated. My plan was to get a good quality receiver for around $2K. Given the night and day difference between the receivers and separates, the choice for me was a no brainer.

If your budget is less than $2K, I would recommend you listen to Arcam, NAD, Marantz and Rotel. These brands are a bit pricey but produce very good sounding receivers. If your budget is less than $1K, Denon, HK, Onkyo and Pioneer Elite. You can also consider separates in the $1K to $2K range -e.g. Outlaw. Lastly, if you can go over $2K, I would go with separates.

My 2 cents!
post #130 of 52431 Old 02-27-2006, 03:10 PM

Thanks guys, I may just give HK another try. I don't want to spend too much know...upgrading the display and such was enough for awhile. Although I know the C-8's would sound awesome with more amp, they're almost always used for theatre as it is our main viewing room. I had to build an Adcom/Polk system in my garage to enjoy music on my time. Also put a nice system in my truck to get my music fix. The 635 did a fine job for movies and TV....I may get another one, or wait for the 640.

Another question if I may. I recently purchased a pair of RC-R surrounds to complete my 7.1 system and will be using my old EFX dipole set for the rears. The RC-R's have adjustment for bi-pole or di-pole. Which setting would be best to go with the EFX?
post #131 of 52431 Old 02-27-2006, 03:19 PM

Hi Guys,

My first preference is music followed by movies (65/35 split). I have bought energy RC-30 speakers for the fronts, hoping to get into a full surround upgrade in the future.

I am looking into getting Marantz SR7500 as the receiver to go along with the speakers. Do any of you use the combination? Would they be a good match ?

I'd prefer neutral sound.

I'm in ontario - Could anyone help me with the canadian dealers that would give me the best price?

Thanks!
post #132 of 52431 Old 02-28-2006, 08:50 AM

Waaaaay back when I bought my C-8's I listened to quit a few receivers, and ended up with a Denon. It sounded the best with music, and fair enough for movies. Recently I did some upgrading and brought home a H/K 635. BIG difference....but after 10 years later, it should be. I am sticking with H/K for now as it sounds fantastic, at least from what I knew for many years. I really should amp my fronts someday...they deserve so much more.
post #133 of 52431 Old 02-28-2006, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
wow. So many people use their energy speakers with receivers...
I used to have C-4 with Adcom 5500. What a wonderful combination. I've tried this speakers with other amps (HK signature) and it never sounded as good. I didn't like the fact that the energy discontinued their old Connoisseur line (c-2, c-4, c-6 and c-8). I always thought they sounded superior to their new line. Now I'm a proud owner of Veritas v2.8 speakers and drive them with Parasound JC-1 modded by Empirical Audio. It's too sad that they discontinued v2.8. I've heard some rumor that they will release a new flagship, but nothing happened during last 2-3 years...
post #134 of 52431 Old 02-28-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post

wow. So many people use their energy speakers with receivers...
I used to have C-4 with Adcom 5500. What a wonderful combination. I've tried this speakers with other amps (HK signature) and it never sounded as good. I didn't like the fact that the energy discontinued their old Connoisseur line (c-2, c-4, c-6 and c-8). I always thought they sounded superior to their new line. Now I'm a proud owner of Veritas v2.8 speakers and drive them with Parasound JC-1 modded by Empirical Audio. It's too sad that they discontinued v2.8. I've heard some rumor that they will release a new flagship, but nothing happened during last 2-3 years...

I know...I know. When I originally bought the C-8's, I intended to amp them and use them for music as much as for theatre use. Of course I never considered that having them in our main viewing room would rarely leave me time for my music as the family always has something to watch. . I have an Adcom system in my garage to get my music fix and have always wanted to try it with the C-8's....I know it would sound great.
post #135 of 52431 Old 03-02-2006, 04:44 PM

I can finally say I am an owner of Energy Connoisseurs, as I just received a set of C-3's today. I've heard them for a number of years (recommended them to my cousin when they first came out), and I don't really need another set of speakers, but it was just too difficult to pass up considering they are dissappearing. I don't think a lot of people who own this series realize what they have in their possession because of the low price.

After seeing the reviews and measurements of the new RC10's (which are excellent, but not as good as the C's) the decision was easy. I will go out on a limb and say this bookshelf is the equal of any other out there, bar none, albeit in a rather large cabinet size. They simply sound great.
post #136 of 52431 Old 03-02-2006, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
seememom,

Aha! Yes, I have been eyeing Ascends for a while, but after reading some reviews like the ones on Soundstage.com, that say the C-3s are very very very similar to the Ascend 170s, I think I'll be eyeing the C-3s (and the center) at AA until I can get some money to upgrade or until they run out. Hopefully the former and not the latter.

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #137 of 52431 Old 03-03-2006, 05:32 AM

Yeah, although I haven't heard Ascends they seem like a great speaker.

I would just comment that because the cabinet is smaller on the Ascends they do sacrifice some bass (decent down to 70hz vs. around 50hz for the Energy's). They would probably make a perferct home theater speaker crossed over at 80hz to a subwoofer. They also have substantially more distortion than the Energy's, although whether or not that's audible is a matter of significant debate.

You certainly wouldn't go wrong with either pair. Between these two you could probably decide on looks alone.
post #138 of 52431 Old 03-03-2006, 08:41 PM

I have a pair of C-3's and a C-C1 and absolutely love them. Very smooth and nuetral response, great soundstaging. The C-C1 performs very well for a center, I can only imagine what the C-C3s would sound like.

Paid 240 brand new for the C-3s and only 150 for the C-C1 at those prices they are unbeatable. They were on clearance at a local dealer.

I'm still tempted by planar speakers though, how do you guys think a pair of Magnepan MMG's would stack up to a pair of C-3s?
post #139 of 52431 Old 03-04-2006, 07:32 AM

I have both..C-3 for pool area and MMG for HT. VERY different sound. c-3 are great sounding and nice and loud. Maggies are great sounding and quite. I have switched between the 2 speakers and tried to tell a difference, but it is somewhat hard to do due to the difference in spl. Overall the maggies are much more open..and well better. But at 2x the price they should be better. HIH
post #140 of 52431 Old 03-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=seememom]Yeah, although I haven't heard Ascends they seem like a great speaker.

They also have substantially more distortion than the Energy's, although whether or not that's audible is a matter of significant debate.[quote]

I would have to totally disagree here
post #141 of 52431 Old 03-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
ooooooo, an energy-thread! yay for that!!

energy makes some unreal equipment. a while back i picked up a pair of the newish reference connoisseur-30's. they are absolutely astounding. first and foremost, the build quality is second to nobody in the business. the cherry and rosenut veneers are simply stunning to look at (and the kevlar cones are cool, haha). i'm not sure why they make the comparitively ugly black ash ones... nor do i understand who'd buy them with the other two finishes available. the RC-30's have a stunningly wide and full dynamic range. the bass is deep, heavy, and clear. the midrange is open and full. the high-end absolutely soars with clarity and absolutley no metallic "after-taste" like many other speakers that try to reproduce sounds way up high like that. stereo imaging is uncanny. everything coming out of these speakers just sounds so perfectly natural. i'd recommend them to anyone. for the $1000 canadian that i paid they are a felony.

my friend bought the RC-70's. that was much, much more speaker than i needed for my home, but after a few listening parties at his place, they are totally my dream speaker. i've never heard better-sounding speakers anywhere, period.

and if you're after a centre-channel, the reference connoisseur series centre is the most incredible centre-speaker in the universe. it's fairly big as centres go, but if you have the room, you'll never regreat hooking it into your home theatre.

i've always liked energy and always thought they made super-quality speakers, but the RC line has redefined listening to music for me. it would be nice if the physical construction would redefine the industry, because energy is now at the top of that pile for me.
post #142 of 52431 Old 03-04-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess you like Energy a little, huh?

post #143 of 52431 Old 03-04-2006, 04:55 PM

[quote=ChrisCollins][quote=seememom]Yeah, although I haven't heard Ascends they seem like a great speaker.

They also have substantially more distortion than the Energy's, although whether or not that's audible is a matter of significant debate.
Quote:

I would have to totally disagree here

Feel free to look at the Soundstage measurements yourself.
post #144 of 52431 Old 03-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

I guess you like Energy a little, huh?

lol, ya a bit

don't get me wrong, i've heard some awfully nice b&w, klipsch, the odd infinity, and my sentimental favorite big-butt 1978 kenwoods... but after several months of these RC-30's, the world of speaker-choices has condensed itself quite a bit. i've tried, but can't find a thing wrong with them. certainly there are speakers every bit as good out there, but not for anywhere near the RC's price. and none of them look as good

i'd love to hear other RC-owners' opinions on their purchases. it's surprised me a bit how little chatter they seem to have generated. i haven't managed to find a single professional review online! thank goodness for audition rooms at the store
post #145 of 52431 Old 03-04-2006, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I was drooling over the C-3s on AA, but they are no longer listed there. Other sites have them for $350 ($100 over AA), but maybe once I get the money scrounged up I can find some on ebay...

post #146 of 52431 Old 03-04-2006, 08:47 PM

soundlovr,

i've got RC-30s as well, bought them quite impressed by the construction and the sound... i'm trying to upgrade my receiver (have a very old kenwood one)... what receiver (or, seperates for that matter) do you use to drive these ?

i'm seriously considering marantz SR7500....
post #147 of 52431 Old 03-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

pack_tor...

when i first got the speakers, i hooked them to a friend's rotel seperate setup. i made him let me keep it for a spell pleading that i wanted it to break the speakers in. sounded outstanding. alas, all good things eventually come to an end. i'm back to my base kenwood vr8050. honestly, i like the sound almost as much. i had it in my head that i'd have to bi-amp the RC-30's for my entry-level receiver to deal with them, but not so. the amp has plenty of oomph to make them spring to life. i expected the RC's to be a bit more demanding of amp-power like the veritas, but energy appears to have understood the kinds of systems they'll be getting attached to.

bear in mind that i mostly play rock/pop stuff. some may say that makes me less discerning with the amp, but i say bite me (haha) sure i'd love the rotel back, but any 100wpc amp seems to me to be plenty to create pretty sounds. that marantz is a killer, i'd love to hear the mating

ps: "very old kenwood" ... you are a man of exceptional taste! i grew up with a beautiful KR-4070 and to this day i swear by the supreme model 600 as the ultimate amp of all time. god i wish i still had that baby around
post #148 of 52431 Old 03-04-2006, 11:57 PM

There's a soundstage review of the RC-10's online...seeing as they're relatively new, I'd expect to see a lot more reviews soon and atleast a floorstander review from soundstage.

They seem to mention every plus that you've mentioned about the new line.

Surprisingly, the measurements don't seem as good as the older C line (C-3's) which seem to have a flatter response and less distortion, but I guess graphs don't always tell the whole story.
post #149 of 52431 Old 03-05-2006, 04:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Cyberbri,

Sent you a PM

Afro GT
post #150 of 52431 Old 03-05-2006, 04:29 PM

I am getting close to purchasing the new C-series Energy speakers, a 7.1 setup. I have been to the dealer a couple times, and they sounded great to me. Of course, I am coming from not having any speakers, so pretty much anything sounds good to me. Just wondering what other people think of the C-series now. Not much out there on them, since they are so new, but the dealer is very high on them, and they are probably what I will end up getting.

Andy
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page