Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesshin View Post

Does anyone have any experience with the sound of the CF line they can share? or is the general consensus "Get the RC"?

Do a thread search on CF-70 here and you should locate a review by a guy named Ray, who liked it very much. There just aren't many people here who have direct experience with the new line.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey everyone, i just received my first Energy piece, ESW-V8. Bought it to potentially replace Polk PSW110, which i hated since day 1, especially when listening to music. I'm a little hesitant to open the box, since i still don't know if my room is "not too big" for this sub. It's approx. 13x18 with 10ft. sealing. HT/Music: 50/50. I really wanted to score V10, but it was sold out the day before i decided to buy it, so i settled for V8. My only other choice would be ML Dynamo, if i can get it for a good price.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Do a thread search on CF-70 here and you should locate a review by a guy named Ray, who liked it very much. There just aren't many people here who have direct experience with the new line.

I searched through old posts, and read everything on other websites I could find, still information seems scarce. I'll probably end up buying them anyways and just reporting back here what I think of them.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I purchased an energy rc-lcr a few months ago. I have it set up in my bedroom until I move out into my new place. Here I don't use it a ton beyond some madden here or there...I have watched a few movies and never really noticed anything wrong with it. Recently I purchased a pair of RC-30s as in my new place towers will suit me better. I was playing a PS3 game tonight and noticed the RC-LCR coming off very muddy and not loud at all, it just didnt sound right.

i hooked up my old center channel, cheap polk speaker, and the sound was what I'd imagine it should sound like

i'm by no means an audio expert, so whats a simple and basic way to ensure that the RC-LCR is working properly, and what could of caused this low and muffled sound.

its hooked up to an onkyo 505 for the time being, so any tips or pointers would be much appreciated

I'm not entirely sure exactly what it should sound like, but I popped in a few movies and dialogue just didnt come off clear or loud like the RC-30s I have hooked up, maybe its underpowered, but it seems like the RC-30s would require even more power, but they sound great
Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have to use the port plugs with my RC-LCR or I get an even chestier sound. Also, try raising the treble for the center if you can. It's a very laid back sound and needs a little punch in the upper frequencies. I had to fiddle with the EQ manually on my LCR to get a sound that matched my 70s better.

Joe Clark

Old 10-15-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:

I had to fiddle with the EQ manually on my LCR to get a sound that matched my 70s better.

the above refers to changing the EQ through the receiver right?

so you also experienced this low level muffled sound?

thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose4540 View Post

the above refers to changing the EQ through the receiver right?

so you also experienced this low level muffled sound?

thanks

Yes, I adjusted my Denon's EQ to goose the treble a bit and raise the center channel volume. Otherwise the sound is too "thick" for my tastes. Surprisingly, the LCR is not as efficient as the RC-70. I had to increase the LCR level at least 3db (when I auditioned the LCRs/70s side by side) to get comparable volume.

Joe Clark

Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Yes, I adjusted my Denon's EQ to goose the treble a bit and raise the center channel volume. Otherwise the sound is too "thick" for my tastes. Surprisingly, the LCR is not as efficient as the RC-70. I had to increase the LCR level at least 3db (when I auditioned the LCRs/70s side by side) to get comparable volume.

That is exactly my experience with the LCR and RC-70s. I have to bump the LCR up 3 db and increase the treble to match the 70s. My LCR is enclosed in a shelf below the TV so I have my port plugs in also.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:05 PM

Does anyone use a center channel speaker stand for the RC-LCR? I just don't think it will fit on my mantle.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaum1 View Post

Does anyone use a center channel speaker stand for the RC-LCR? I just don't think it will fit on my mantle.

Thanks!

Yep - I do.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and btw, maybe it's a combination of the room and the location of the speaker, but I don't find the LCR chesty. I find it reproduces voices, especially male voices (Like a James Earl Jones) very well, and female voices are fine as well. I do have it up a few decibels as compared to the RC-70's though, as it isn't as sensitive as them. Actually, the RC-70's are a very sensitive loud speaker and can be driven by just about anything.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 PM

I hope some of you can help me out here. I have been lurking for a fairly long time but now I have to make some "hard" decisions about my HT set-up.

My current set-up is:
Pioneer 5080
Yamaha 6190
PlayStation 3
Custom HTPC
Energy RC-30 (L+R)
RC-LCR (Center)
RC-Mini (Front presence)
Some fairly high-end in-ceiling speakers(back L+R, I don't know what they are but the owner of our Condo had them installed and he is a real audiophile)
Energy ESW V8 Sub
Klipsch RW10D Sub

The problem is the RC-30's really take up a lot of space in our condo and the front right speaker kind of gets in the way when you are walking out of the living room into the kitchen (I will try to take a picture tomorrow in the sunlight) and we are getting some new furniture and wanted to clean-up the look of the room.

I have some RC-Mini's here that I was going to use as front "presence" speakers and decided to hook them up instead of the RC-30's just to see the difference. I used them in conjunction with the 8" Energy sub for 2-channel listening and was fairly impressed. I was also considering running 3 RC-Mini CC's as Front L+R and Center if that would improve the sound.

Would running both subs with the Energy set at a higher crossover and the Klipsch (I might sell the Klipsch and get a matching 10" Energy) at a lower freq be able to compensate somewhat for the lack of size by the missing RC-30's?

Has anyone 'downgraded' from a full sized RC set-up to a RC-Mini system? Do you think implementing a dual-sub system would help minimize the perceived loss of "omph".

Also this change was motivated by the fact that we live in a Condo and therefor never really blast the system. It's mainly used for watching TV and Blu-ray's with some daytime music playing over the airport express while we are studying (so in other words not a lot of 'critical' listening).

I used to have a Energy Take 5.1 system that I used without the sub (there was a faulty connection and it would cause the sub to hum really loud randomly throughout the day, not the best thing when you live in a Condo) and I used to hate how the system sounded 'tinny' when watching TV or Movies. I think the dual-subs would help get rid of that sensation but I just wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with this.

Finally my last question is would there be any real benefit from running 3x RC-mini CC's up front instead of 2 RC-mini and 1 RC-mini CC? Would the extra woofer really help improve things?

Thanks in advance for any help. Also I wanted to keep the speakers within the Energy family since I have a connection at Future Shop and can get all of these speakers at Staff Purchase.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

Oh, and btw, maybe it's a combination of the room and the location of the speaker, but I don't find the LCR chesty. I find it reproduces voices, especially male voices (Like a James Earl Jones) very well, and female voices are fine as well. I do have it up a few decibels as compared to the RC-70's though, as it isn't as sensitive as them. Actually, the RC-70's are a very sensitive loud speaker and can be driven by just about anything.

Nice, working on that setup as well. Can you give a link or model for that stand? I guess you dont want to go too high with the stand.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Rock View Post

I hope some of you can help me out here. I have been lurking for a fairly long time but now I have to make some "hard" decisions about my HT set-up.

My current set-up is:
Pioneer 5080
Yamaha 6190
PlayStation 3
Custom HTPC
Energy RC-30 (L+R)
RC-LCR (Center)
RC-Mini (Front presence)
Some fairly high-end in-ceiling speakers(back L+R, I don't know what they are but the owner of our Condo had them installed and he is a real audiophile)
Energy ESW V8 Sub
Klipsch RW10D Sub

The problem is the RC-30's really take up a lot of space in our condo and the front right speaker kind of gets in the way when you are walking out of the living room into the kitchen (I will try to take a picture tomorrow in the sunlight) and we are getting some new furniture and wanted to clean-up the look of the room.

I have some RC-Mini's here that I was going to use as front "presence" speakers and decided to hook them up instead of the RC-30's just to see the difference. I used them in conjunction with the 8" Energy sub for 2-channel listening and was fairly impressed. I was also considering running 3 RC-Mini CC's as Front L+R and Center if that would improve the sound.

Would running both subs with the Energy set at a higher crossover and the Klipsch (I might sell the Klipsch and get a matching 10" Energy) at a lower freq be able to compensate somewhat for the lack of size by the missing RC-30's?

Has anyone 'downgraded' from a full sized RC set-up to a RC-Mini system? Do you think implementing a dual-sub system would help minimize the perceived loss of "omph".

Also this change was motivated by the fact that we live in a Condo and therefor never really blast the system. It's mainly used for watching TV and Blu-ray's with some daytime music playing over the airport express while we are studying (so in other words not a lot of 'critical' listening).

I used to have a Energy Take 5.1 system that I used without the sub (there was a faulty connection and it would cause the sub to hum really loud randomly throughout the day, not the best thing when you live in a Condo) and I used to hate how the system sounded 'tinny' when watching TV or Movies. I think the dual-subs would help get rid of that sensation but I just wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with this.

Finally my last question is would there be any real benefit from running 3x RC-mini CC's up front instead of 2 RC-mini and 1 RC-mini CC? Would the extra woofer really help improve things?

Thanks in advance for any help. Also I wanted to keep the speakers within the Energy family since I have a connection at Future Shop and can get all of these speakers at Staff Purchase.

You may want to consider downgrading to RC10's. However, I wouldn't exactly call it a downgrade. RC10's sound very full for their size. The difference between the Mini's and RC-30's IMHO are night and day. RC10's are much closer, bookshelf and sound fantastic.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaum1 View Post

Nice, working on that setup as well. Can you give a link or model for that stand? I guess you dont want to go too high with the stand.

I'll have to dig up the invoice. I got it on line from a Canadian Company. I'll look tonight and post it. Stand works great.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMX View Post

You may want to consider downgrading to RC10's. However, I wouldn't exactly call it a downgrade. RC10's sound very full for their size. The difference between the Mini's and RC-30's IMHO are night and day. RC10's are much closer, bookshelf and sound fantastic.

While I agree, just to add, I don't think you would be disapointed with the RC-Mini's if you chose that route. The Minis are still a perfect compliment to the RC line. Dual subs should take care of most of the lacking in bass due to their small drivers, however you did not mention the room size so I can't be certain. I don't think going with 3 Mini CC for the extra woofer would help THAT much and probably isn't worth it unless the cost involved is fairly close, you'd be better off to go with RC-10s as sugested above.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 AM

Pioneer Elite SC05/07 or SC25/27

Is there anyone running the Pioneer Elite SC05/07 or SC25/27 with RC70's? Is so, can you provide any feedback? I'm looking to upgrade from my Yamaha 1700 and I can't find any local dealers that have Energy speakers running from the Pioneer line. I listened to the Pioneer with Klipsch and Definitive and was happy with the sound by would like some input with Energy.

Any help, as always, is appreciated!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeers View Post

Pioneer Elite SC05/07 or SC25/27

Is there anyone running the Pioneer Elite SC05/07 or SC25/27 with RC70's? Is so, can you provide any feedback? I'm looking to upgrade from my Yamaha 1700 and I can't find any local dealers that have Energy speakers running from the Pioneer line. I listened to the Pioneer with Klipsch and Definitive and was happy with the sound by would like some input with Energy.

Any help, as always, is appreciated!

I've been running two RC70s from my VSX-21TXH for about two weeks and dont think I could be happier. Still fiddling with it, tried bi-amping from the receiver this morning and it made a pretty big difference. I love the Elite receiver.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:41 PM

What's everyone's thoughts on a computer music setup w. RC70s vs. RC30s + sub (since the RC10s are sold out at vanns)? Assuming they both cost the same. I would just be real bummed if I bought the RC70s and still had to get a sub to supplement em. I typically listen to alternative, hip-hop, latin.

Xbox Live GT: LatinoHeat161
Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 419
What quality is your computer music? MP3's? Hopefully done at a high bitrate.

And what receiver would you be using to power the RC-70 or RC-30?

Afro GT
Old 10-16-2009, 03:00 PM

FWIR the RC70 have plenty of bass, but it also depends on your room size.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:21 PM

It's a bedroom (11' x 15'). The music is either mp3 @ 320kbps or FLAC. I've got an HK 3490 powering whatever I decide to buy being feed from the computer via coax digital.

The plus side to buying the bookshelf+sub is I would move my old HT sub into my bedroom and move the new sub into the HT. But I don't want to give up quality in the bedroom by picking up the RC30s vs. the 70s.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:25 PM

For a room that size, I think the RC70's would definitely provide enough bass, especially for music.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman161 View Post

What's everyone's thoughts on a computer music setup w. RC70s vs. RC30s + sub (since the RC10s are sold out at vanns)? Assuming they both cost the same. I would just be real bummed if I bought the RC70s and still had to get a sub to supplement em. I typically listen to alternative, hip-hop, latin.

The RC70's have 6.5'' drivers. You will most definitely need a sub. Look into SVS, HSU or EPIK. Who listens to hip hop without a sub...?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikk7 View Post

The RC70's have 6.5'' drivers. You will most definitely need a sub. Look into SVS, HSU or EPIK. Who listens to hip hop without a sub...?

haha. Very true. I'm leaning toward the RC30+sub route. I might sacrifice some clarity in the music setup but I gain some lower end w. the new sub in the HT room.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

Oh, and btw, maybe it's a combination of the room and the location of the speaker, but I don't find the LCR chesty

I think a huge factor is that your rclcr is placed on a stand several feet out with plenty of room to breathe. The vast majority of people are stuck placing their center channel on a shelf or console which is a real acoustic problem for a massive cc with significant bass output and rear porting. I recently pluggd the ports on mr rclcr and reran audyssey and am actually much happier with it now.

BTW - nice to see u posting on the thread again as an owner of rc's and veritas, plus of course other speakers like those totems, your input is very valuable. I think k40k was getting lonely being the only rc + veritas owner

let's see that family portrait again!

PS - I would just like to point out how cool it is that I am posting from a plane, 30,000ft up, on an iPod. Technology rules.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Rock View Post

I think only you are in a position to judge thus... but thankfully you have the luxury of alrady owning the speakers in question!

My suggestion is to hook up the rc minis as mains, plug the ports on the rclcr, set the crossover on the yamaha to 120hz, rebalance the speaker levels, and pretend that the rc30s don't exist for a week or two.

If you are happy with the sound, you have kind of answered your own question. I did this for a couple of weeks when I was breaking in my rc minis that I bought for surrounds. I plunked them down on top of the rc10s and reran audyssey and just ran a 3.1 setup with rc minis + ESW-v8 for a couple of weeks. Honestly, at moderate volumes, I think I would be perfectly happy with an all rc mini setup.

The rc mini cc definitely has a bit more bass extension than the regular rc mini but it's not enough that I would sweat it unless the price difference was minimal.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:16 PM

hoping someone can help me out, i have a set of the rvss surrounds. I need to know what the wiring color schematic is? I think my tweeter is wired wrong on one of them but i am not sure which one is correct?

black on negative for both or blue yellow or red negative? I think black is the correct negative on the tweeters but one of mine is reversed?

anyone willing to open up and see what yours are or any idea where to get a diagram? i sent energy/klipsch an email and have not had a response.

thanks for any help.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 AM

Just ordered 3 RC-50's, and pre-ordered 2 RC-10's for my 5.1 system from Vann's today.

Really looking forward to getting them installed as I've never personally heard them. I know thats a bad way to buy speakers, but it's pretty hard to find any good places to demo around here.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 AM

Just was about to order the RC30s (cherry) and lo and behold there's only one left in stock. =/

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50