Energy Owners Thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #1501 of 52469 Old 06-22-2007, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the RC-30s from audio advice today. The first speaker looks brand new. I cant find any kind of blemishes on it. The second speaker has me kind of worried. The first thing I noticed with it is that the base was loose. I had to tighten it down. After doing so, I set the speaker upright and was giving it a visual inspection. The rubber around the speakers have rub marks all over them like the speaker was faced down and slid across the room. Its not as bad as it sounds, just small blemishes on the speakers which is why its enough to bother me. I have not been able to test them since I dont have a receiver yet (waiting for the onky 875). Maybe ill go get a cheap receiver from wally world and give them a whirl tomorrow. I have 2 more RC30s coming and I hope they are more like the first one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 52469 Old 06-22-2007, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

It's located on the side and all the way through the veneer. I know this can be repaired, I just don't know how.

I'm thinking, all a furniture re-finishing operation would probably do is- apply wood putty/filler to "fill" the damaged area; then (carefully) level-off, and "blend", the filled area using sand-paper (block) with various grades of grit; then match and (carefully) apply a coat of stain to the affected area; then finish off with very fine paper or steel wool; maybe (carefully) apply a coat of clear laquer over affected area.

As WarpDrive suggests, a decent furniture refinishing shop should be able to handle this.
post #1503 of 52469 Old 06-23-2007, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHB View Post

The second speaker has me kind of worried. The first thing I noticed with it is that the base was loose. I had to tighten it down. After doing so, I set the speaker upright and was giving it a visual inspection. The rubber around the speakers have rub marks all over them like the speaker was faced down and slid across the room. Its not as bad as it sounds, just small blemishes on the speakers which is why its enough to bother me

the plinth base does have provisions to remove it, so that should'nt be a "problem", just (carefully) re-tighen bolts as you did.

However, the physical marks, or "bruises" on the rubber surrounds (on the perimeter of the two drivers) does not sound good. If the rubber is in any way "deformed", or dis-connected from the speaker cone I would return them to Audio Advisor or Energy customer service.

The speakers should never be placed, such that, the speaker cabinet is laying face-down directly against a surface, resting on the driver surrounds.

Moreover, any part of the speaker drivers should not even come into human contact (as much as possible), including- the speaker cones (kevlar), the rubber surround material, the aluminum tweeter domes, etc.,...

Quote:

I have 2 more RC30s coming and I hope they are more like the first one.

I would wait for these, if they are (both) equally in good/new condition I would use those as your mains, then send the other pair (or the bad one) back.
post #1504 of 52469 Old 06-23-2007, 06:47 AM

WestCoast D:

How do you find the RC-R's. Have you heard the C-R100's? If so what are the differences?
post #1505 of 52469 Old 06-23-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

the plinth base does have provisions to remove it, so that should'nt be a "problem", just (carefully) re-tighen bolts as you did.

However, the physical marks, or "bruises" on the rubber surrounds (on the perimeter of the two drivers) does not sound good. If the rubber is in any way "deformed", or dis-connected from the speaker cone I would return them to Audio Advisor or Energy customer service.

The speakers should never be placed, such that, the speaker cabinet is laying face-down directly against a surface, resting on the driver surrounds.

Moreover, any part of the speaker drivers should not even come into human contact (as much as possible), including- the speaker cones (kevlar), the rubber surround material, the aluminum tweeter domes, etc.,...

I would wait for these, if they are (both) equally in good/new condition I would use those as your mains, then send the other pair (or the bad one) back.

Thanks, ill look into it!
post #1506 of 52469 Old 06-23-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1977 View Post

How do you find the RC-R's. Have you heard the C-R100's? If so what are the differences?

I have'nt used, or heard, the C-R100's myself, however, I've used a complete C-Series 5.1 speaker set-up, including: C-300 (fronts), C-C100 (center) and C-200 (rears). I thought they worked very well in-general for the price. The C-300's exhibited very good bass response and nice mid-range, pretty good sound for 2-channel stereo, and for multi-channel music. Although, this set-up performed best (I thought) for home theater surround (DolbyDigital, ProLogic, etc.,..) for DVD-movies and digital-cable broadcasts.

However, once I moved to RC-Series I noticed a more refined sound quality overall- better hi frequency response and nicer mid-range. Consequently, I would see the same differences between the C-R100's and the RC-R's. The RC-R's use a separate aluminum dome mid-range (as on the RC-LCR), provides better distinction.

I would imagine both, the C-R100 and RC-R, would work just fine as rears in a complete surround set-up. Although, I think the RC-R's would provide the best "clarity".

Which speakers are you using right now?
post #1507 of 52469 Old 06-23-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

For movies (since I don't have many 5.1 audio discs) which would you guys recommend the RC-R or the RC10? They are both same price when you add up the 2 RC-R an the RC10s.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #1508 of 52469 Old 06-23-2007, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

For movies (since I don't have many 5.1 audio discs) which would you guys recommend the RC-R or the RC10? They are both same price when you add up the 2 RC-R an the RC10s.

I struggled with this same decision as I listen to multi-channel music probably 80%. However, I ended-up getting the RC-R's, I've been totally happy with their performance for, both, movies and multi-channel music. Movie soundtracks sound un-believeably nice!

Moreover, the RC-R's come with a very nice, simple, built-in wall-mounting bracket system. Just drill one hole (for a dry-wall hanger), and mount.
post #1509 of 52469 Old 06-24-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:

I have'nt used, or heard, the C-R100's myself, however, I've used a complete C-Series 5.1 speaker set-up, including: C-300 (fronts), C-C100 (center) and C-200 (rears). I thought they worked very well in-general for the price. The C-300's exhibited very good bass response and nice mid-range, pretty good sound for 2-channel stereo, and for multi-channel music. Although, this set-up performed best (I thought) for home theater surround (DolbyDigital, ProLogic, etc.,..) for DVD-movies and digital-cable broadcasts.

However, once I moved to RC-Series I noticed a more refined sound quality overall- better hi frequency response and nicer mid-range. Consequently, I would see the same differences between the C-R100's and the RC-R's. The RC-R's use a separate aluminum dome mid-range (as on the RC-LCR), provides better distinction.

I would imagine both, the C-R100 and RC-R, would work just fine as rears in a complete surround set-up. Although, I think the RC-R's would provide the best "clarity".

Which speakers are you using right now?

Right now I am using:

Front: RC-30's
Centre: RC-LCR
Rears: C-R100's
Sub: Mirage Omni-S8
post #1510 of 52469 Old 06-24-2007, 03:39 PM

I just hooked up my 2 RC30's and one of them doesnt work . Well, the tweeter works but the woofers don't. Maybe something is loose inside? Should I open it up and see or would that make them nonexchangeable?
post #1511 of 52469 Old 06-24-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just hooked up my 2 RC30's and one of them doesnt work . Well, the tweeter works but the woofers don't. Maybe something is loose inside? Should I open it up and see or would that make them nonexchangeable?

Sorry for your problem, that's pathetic.........

I would probably return those items as soon as possible to seller.

These are "re-freshed" items I believe? If so I would probaby just order brand-new product next time around to be safe, and avoid hassles.
post #1512 of 52469 Old 06-24-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

It really depends on your setup and your desired goal.

Having RC10's as surrounds will provide you with a more pinpoint source, and that can work well in some rooms where the listening window is more narrow...for example in a room where the speakers are further away and standing in free space, and the listeners tend to be grouped more in the middle, using the RC10 will provide you with an image that is more locked in place. The RCR's dipole/bipole arrangement provides a lot more flexibility if your speakers are wall mounted, nearby and just want a soundfield that envelopes a wider range of listening positions.

I think for most people, the RCR is going to be the more "HT" compatiable solution. I can see more people picking the RC10 if you primarily listen to music and have a specific room arrangement that can accomodate them

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #1513 of 52469 Old 06-24-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Sorry for your problem, that's pathetic.........

I would probably return those items as soon as possible to seller.

These are "re-freshed" items I believe? If so I would probaby just order brand-new product next time around to be safe, and avoid hassles.

If it is from audioadvisor you are covered. They are authorized from Klipsch/Energy.
post #1514 of 52469 Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

If it is from audioadvisor you are covered. They are authorized from Klipsch/Energy.

yeah, which is fine.

However, I would contact, both, AudioAdvisor and Energy customer service and ask them what is the best way to handle servicing- either returning them directly to seller, or directly to Energy customer service department? Also, may want to inquire (to AudioAdvisor) about option of returning them in exchange for a "brand-new" pair (of course you would have to pay difference, or maybe they would cut you a deal considering the situation, nothing to lose).

Good luck.......
post #1515 of 52469 Old 06-25-2007, 08:42 PM

I called energy today and they werent very helpful. All they did was give me a number to a shop 2 hours away from me that can repair it. Of course I have to pay shipping. Im going to call audioadvisor tomorrow and see what they say.
post #1516 of 52469 Old 06-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Audio advisor was no help. Looks like I have to send it somewhere and get it repaired.
post #1517 of 52469 Old 06-26-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Audio advisor was no help. Looks like I have to send it somewhere and get it repaired.

HybridHB, call Damien Peoples at 317-860-8551
email: damian.peoples@klipsch.com

Johny Williams is audioadvisors Energy Rep for reference

edit: email corrected
post #1518 of 52469 Old 06-26-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the heads up!
post #1519 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 AM

hey hybridHB, I typed his email wrong. It is:

Damian.Peoples@klipsch.com

not Damie[u]n
post #1520 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

this is rediculous, you just purchased these. Seems they would at least give you the opportunity to return them (for credit) in-exchange for other items. It would be different (I think) if you had them for a few months and had problems, however, these items did not function right out of the box.

Quote:

I called energy today and they werent very helpful. All they did was give me a number to a shop 2 hours away from me that can repair it

I guess you will just have to send them to an authorized service dealer.
post #1521 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:

thats terrible! bad customer service on both ends. good luck!
post #1522 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 01:15 PM

I should have posted earlier.. Initially I thought my speakers were mint but later I discovered my mid driver on one speaker was not right (I couldn't tell when sitting 9 ft away but when I hooked it up in my room at 2 feet something wasn't right.

So I called Tim of AudioAdvisor (866-984-0676) and he contacted audioadvisors energy rep who contacted Damian (person I referenced above) at Klipch. With one phone call and a fax with proof of purchase Damian ordered for a new driver to be sent to me (said I didn't have to send the defective one back either so very little hassle). So I'm fairly confident that HybridHB just dealth with the wrong person or something and we'll report back that Damian has taken care of him, well I hope that is the case.
post #1523 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I have a hard time believing you're having such bad customer service. I've had nothing but good experiences with Energy and Audio Advisor. Like Brianmonkey I had a bad driver in one of my Energy Take 2 speakers and they offered to send me the replacement driver.

Hopefully if you call AA again, they'll resolve this quickly.

Afro GT
post #1524 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 03:38 PM

Liked: 11
It seems like over a year ago we were hearing about the new reference subs from energy... wait it was over a year and a half ago! Anyone know what the deal is, the product seems like it just vanished never to be heard of again.

warpdrive - nice to see you back posting again, take a little hiatus?
post #1525 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post

It seems like over a year ago we were hearing about the new reference subs from energy... wait it was over a year and a half ago! Anyone know what the deal is, the product seems like it just vanished never to be heard of again.

actually, they (Energy) released a few RC-Sub models (the RC-Sub8 and RC-Sub10 I believe) maybe a year ago now, a small quantity of these got distributed to dealers. However, recently, a few months back, it was found that there were some issues, or failures, related to the on-board amplifiers such that they were causing fires (yeah really)

Apparently Energy has been implementing some re-engineering/retro-fits to address these issues, and will be re-releasing the RC-Sub line anytime soon. Actually I hear they perform pretty well.
post #1526 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post

warpdrive - nice to see you back posting again, take a little hiatus?

I think you are confusing me with the other warpdrv

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #1527 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
can any Energy users here sum up the differences in sound for music/movie playback between the "C" series and the "Take" series?
post #1528 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Has this been resolved??

Fellow Canadians - after seeing this persons unfortunate experience - wanna run by me again why having Future Shop carrying these speaker is a 'bad' idea. Seriously - no crap please either. Give me SOLID imperical evidence that future shop is a bad place for selling these!

HybridHB - too bad you weren't Canadian and bought these at that awful Future Shop place. You could have taken that speaker back and they would have replaced it immediately. Conversely, if your confidence was shot in these speakers, you could have taken them both back for a full refund - no questions asked.

Of course, you would have paid more for them - but hey, who wants speakers that works or a company that stands behind their product line when they sell it - just give me the cheapest price and I"ll be happy.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #1529 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

Has this been resolved??

Fellow Canadians - after seeing this persons unfortunate experience - wanna run by me again why having Future Shop carrying these speaker is a 'bad' idea. Seriously - no crap please either. Give me SOLID imperical evidence that future shop is a bad place for selling these!

I bought my RC30s from FS. No hassles. But then again, I bought mine new. And I made up my mind a long time ago that I'd never buy floorstanders online, no matter how cheap. Anything can happen to heavy items. I feel better picking things out myself.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #1530 of 52469 Old 06-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

I was in FS today. My only real complaint is that their auditioning rooms are CRAP. Bare, square rooms with about 100 speakers jammed in together on top of each other along one wall. The RC-30's that they had were 2 feet apart and sounded like crap compared to the Polks... simply because the Polk's bolder upper-end was able to cut through the noise and reflections better making it sound like a much clearer speaker. In the real world, I know those RTi8's don't even come close to the RC-30's soundwise... but FS isn't providing consumers with any true sense of performance. That would be the problem that I see selling good speakers in a store where nobody on staff knows what quality audio really is.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page