85Likes

post #181 of 52805 Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post

The C-3's aren't bad, because they will all match (i.e, better than the athena/energy combo), but the C-C3 with it's dual driver design and hyperbolic tweeter is a better centre channel speaker because it will have better dispersion and off-axis listening. One person said something interesting to me last week on the identical l/c/r speaker concept (I had similar thoughts).... "there is a reason these companies design specific centre channel speakers"..... centre channels are designed for "flat response over a very wide horizontal plane, and drastically improved wide and constant dispersion". Just look at the driver positioning.

that's what i always thought too, kwtoxman, until i found this site and saw so many people recommending 3 bookshelves across the front as close to the "ideal." that's why i was surprised to see people saying it wasn't a good idea with the C-3s.

anyway, congratulations on the veritases. it looks like i was too late on the c-c3 anyway. :P i might just pick up a c-c1 for now until i can find a c-c3 to upgrade to later. AA let me cancel the B1.2s -- great place, super nice folks i was dealing with. i think i found some C-1s at a good price, too, so everything is finally starting to come together. i can't wait to hear these energies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 52805 Old 03-23-2006, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcycle View Post

that's what i always thought too, kwtoxman, until i found this site and saw so many people recommending 3 bookshelves across the front as close to the "ideal." that's why i was surprised to see people saying it wasn't a good idea with the C-3s.

anyway, congratulations on the veritases. it looks like i was too late on the c-c3 anyway. :P i might just pick up a c-c1 for now until i can find a c-c3 to upgrade to later. AA let me cancel the B1.2s -- great place, super nice folks i was dealing with. i think i found some C-1s at a good price, too, so everything is finally starting to come together. i can't wait to hear these energies.

Thx.

Here is another interesting and recent discussion on identical l/c/r's. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=659429
post #183 of 52805 Old 03-23-2006, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr View Post

I also can't imagine someone with normal hearing saying that the soundstage is limited and the mid-bass is thin. I listen and I hear those as strengths of the speaker

Dont worry about that BS review. I have worked with Energy products for 7 years and they have only gotten better over the years. I am one of the only Energy dealers in Southern California and we demo the whole line of Energy products including the Reference Connoisseur. I recommend the RC line specifically to people who dont have any sidewalls nearby because they have such great dispersion and soundstage that they are ideal in an open room. Paired with a good receiver or amplifier the Energy has incredible midbass energy and far from thin. They can actually have too much bass if they arent given 3 foot of space between the back walls and speakers.

The thing I like most about this new line is the use of the Veritas hyperbolic tweeter in the RC line. I have always loved the way the Veritas tweeter can sound very dynamic without sounding harsh at all. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about them. Most magazine reviews are ad-driven, so whoever pays the most ad dollars get the most reviews. No rely on a magazine review instead form an opinion at your local dealer.
post #184 of 52805 Old 03-23-2006, 11:59 PM

kwtoxman,

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you sell your C-C3 for? I'm considering selling mine to get the RC-LCR to match my RC-70's if it doesn't put me out of pocket too much. I'm also curious about where you sold it (I'm in Toronto)...

Has anybody heard the RC-LCR? Is it much of a step up from C-C3?
post #185 of 52805 Old 03-24-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Dont worry about that BS review. I have worked with Energy products for 7 years and they have only gotten better over the years. I am one of the only Energy dealers in Southern California and we demo the whole line of Energy products including the Reference Connoisseur. I recommend the RC line specifically to people who dont have any sidewalls nearby because they have such great dispersion and soundstage that they are ideal in an open room. Paired with a good receiver or amplifier the Energy has incredible midbass energy and far from thin. They can actually have too much bass if they arent given 3 foot of space between the back walls and speakers.

The thing I like most about this new line is the use of the Veritas hyperbolic tweeter in the RC line. I have always loved the way the Veritas tweeter can sound very dynamic without sounding harsh at all. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about them. Most magazine reviews are ad-driven, so whoever pays the most ad dollars get the most reviews. No rely on a magazine review instead form an opinion at your local dealer.

The RC's don't have the veritas tweeters. The veritas series have the Convergent Source Module. The RC LCR uses the hyperbolic tweeter design from the original Connoisseur C=C3, which I really like as well. I think that is what you mean. The rest of the series use an all new chambered 1 aluminum dome tweeter.

kw.................
post #186 of 52805 Old 03-24-2006, 07:13 AM

Jbone.

I sold mine in the GTA. Price is a little difficult to determine because I know I didn't get as good a price on the 2.0Ci as I would have with cash. But they also take care of me, So I don't mind.

I know a few people looking for the black C-C3. It should go on Audiogon fast too.

Depending on Colour and how desparate you are to sell I'd say $300 to $400 CAD.

kw............
post #187 of 52805 Old 03-24-2006, 07:37 AM

I have to admit that when I bought the C-C3 it made a huge improvement to my sound, and I still think it sounds amazing, so I'm not in a big hurry to upgrade... It just would be 'nice' to mach my cherry RC-70's in sound and appearance (my c-c3 is black) if it's actually worthwhile.

KW, I misread your post earlier and I didn't notice that you did a trade-in... Where was that?
post #188 of 52805 Old 03-24-2006, 08:16 AM

i'd be interested in a C-C3. if you get the upgrade bug and decide to sell it, send me an email.
post #189 of 52805 Old 03-24-2006, 09:09 AM

Jbone,

I completely agree. The C-C3 is a great speaker. And a big step up from the C-C1. A superior centre channel to most out there, imo.

I traded in at Canadian Sound.

thx

kw.........
post #190 of 52805 Old 03-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was lucky to score a almost new black C-C3 dealer demo last month. This is one big bad center channel weighing in at 30+ lbs. With its dual 6.5" woofers it's perfect timbre-matched for my C-3's. I'm not letting this baby go anytime soon...
post #191 of 52805 Old 03-24-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskeezer View Post

Anyone have any experience with either the Energy 10.2 sub or the S8.3?

yeah............I have a brand new Energy S8.3 sub-woofer. It is a nice piece!

However, just getting to learn it's potential in the last few weeks. But in general sounds good!

I'm using all new Energy C-Series- ie. C-300's (fronts), C-50's (rear-surrounds), C-C100 (center).

These are the best speakers out there right now for the price- quality contruction, materials, and sound.

Anyone can show me any other product this good at this value please let me know.

BB
post #192 of 52805 Old 03-24-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlack View Post

yeah............I have a brand new Energy S8.3 sub-woofer. It is a nice piece!

However, just getting to learn it's potential in the last few weeks. But in general sounds good!

I'm using all new Energy C-Series- ie. C-300's (fronts), C-50's (rear-surrounds), C-C100 (center).

These are the best speakers out there right now for the price- quality contruction, materials, and sound.

Anyone can show me any other product this good at this value please let me know.

BB

Also................my Home Theater consists of the following:

Yamaha RX-V1600 AV Receiver, HDMI
Sony DVP-NS90V DVD-SACD, HDMI
Sony RDR-HX715 DVR/HD, HDMI
HP LC2640N LCD HDTV
Energy C-Series speakers (5.1)- ie. C300's (fronts), C-C100 (center), C-50's (surrounds), S8.3 (sub-woofer)
Monster HTS 1600 power center

This is my first Home Theater system. I wanted to have very hi-end/powerful sound with excellent video potential but somewhat compact in size to fit my room. And I believe I accomplished just that.

The sound is stunning! Dolby Digital 5.1 is impressive for cable channel movies. DTS is very cool for DVD live concert footage.

Energy C-Series provide very nice sound stage, with smooth bass.

Moreover, I believe Yamaha/Energy is a very nice match, and somewhat popular right now. It seems Denon/Energy is popular as well.

I'm happy to see this Energy thread out there.

BB
post #193 of 52805 Old 03-24-2006, 03:42 PM

is the C-C100 the replacement for the C-C1?
post #194 of 52805 Old 03-24-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcycle View Post

is the C-C100 the replacement for the C-C1?

I believe, yes, the C-C100 is the replacement for the C-C1.

The C-C100 is a beautiful piece! I have cherry finish. It handles up to 125 watts per/chan., with frequency range of 50Hz to 20kHz.

While the C-C1 has same power-handling specs and is a very good speaker as well. Frequency range is 50Hz to 23 kHz.

I had C-5's before, e:XL-C center, and Take 2 surrounds. I still have C-5's if anyone is interested (only like 70 hours on them, black).

Once I got a look at the new C-Series I could not resist (especially for the price).

I believe I paid like $250.00 (US) for the C-C100 .

BB
post #195 of 52805 Old 04-03-2006, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Alright, I finally took pics of my home theater in progress (it's always in progress). Complete with all Energy speakers!

Click here for my home theater pics
post #196 of 52805 Old 04-03-2006, 05:32 PM

Since we're sharing, here's a pic of my setup...

Speakers:
Mains: Energy RC-70
Centre: Energy C-C3
Rears: Energy C-R3 (I know you can't see them, but just pretend, ok? )

In my console, I've got:
ProScan VCR (remember those!?)
Sony DVP-NS400D DVD player
Pioneer VSX-D457 receiver (driving a pair of Energy XL:16's in the bedroom)
NAD T743 receiver
Dell W3000 LCD Flatscreen
LL
post #197 of 52805 Old 04-03-2006, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaceTheAce View Post

Alright, I finally took pics of my home theater in progress (it's always in progress). Complete with all Energy speakers!

Click here for my home theater pics

Nice pics.
Comment though: you are not doing your center any favours. The way it's placed, you are getting diffraction and reflection effects from the table it's sitting on. You might want to move it out to the edge of the table at least. Ideally, it should be sitting on a short stand for best sound.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #198 of 52805 Old 04-03-2006, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Nice pics.
Comment though: you are not doing your center any favours. The way it's placed, you are getting diffraction and reflection effects from the table it's sitting on. You might want to move it out to the edge of the table at least. Ideally, it should be sitting on a short stand for best sound.

One of these days I will get rid of that entertainment center. It's just not working for the best screen position. It forces me to move the screen up higher than I want it, and yes, I would prefer to have the center on a stand. I think the speaker resonance may vibrate the cheap Ikea partical board and have an adverse effect on the sound.

Do you think I'd benefit by placing the speaker within the entertainment center, like inside one of the cubbies where my a/v equipment goes?
post #199 of 52805 Old 04-03-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you think I'd benefit by placing the speaker within the entertainment center, like inside one of the cubbies where my a/v equipment goes?

That'd be better probably, but your timbre is going to be different from your mains until you get them freestanding.

post #200 of 52805 Old 04-03-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That'd be better probably, but your timbre is going to be different from your mains until you get them freestanding.

post #201 of 52805 Old 04-03-2006, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
It would sound best on the front edge of the TV stand (maybe a little over the edge if possible), possibly tilted up slightly towards the listening position. This is closest to the same vertical axis as the left/right speakers. Putting speakers in things should be avoided if possible, but if unavoidable, they should at least be on the edge or out over the edge of the sides due to dispersion.
post #202 of 52805 Old 04-03-2006, 09:40 PM

That's a good idea, thanks! I've pushed my centre forward now as well.
post #203 of 52805 Old 04-04-2006, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Hi:

I'm a little new to this HT/AV world.........but I'm curious as to what you mean by the timbre being different from the mains- ie. is this because the center is resting on top of something different (as in the cabinet), creating a different acoustic effect than free-standing speakers?

Do you thinks it's better to use rubber feet underneath a center-speaker placed on a glass shelf, within a new/modern AV stand, or just place it flat against the glass?

Appreciate your input!
post #204 of 52805 Old 04-05-2006, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
here's a few shot's of my HT.

You're looking at new C-300's (mains), C-C100 (inside stand), S8.3 (sub-woofer).