Energy Owners Thread - Page 781 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #23401 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Managed to find a display model RC-LCR in a Canadian store(futureshop) today for cheap.

Now my setup is a 5.0 with:
Energy RC-70 Fronts
RC-LCR center
RC-R rears.

Perfect for me and what I always wanted from the time I started shopping for speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23402 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Great setup, enjoy!

Afro GT
post #23403 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badman View Post

Managed to find a display model RC-LCR in a Canadian store(futureshop) today for cheap.

Elaborate!! You just can't say "cheap" and leave it at that!!!

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #23404 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Not a bad deal on the cb5. two pair of those and the cc-5 center from EE for $110 and you have a nice setup for $310. Add a Bic f12 subwoofer and your set around $500.

I agree, I have this exact same setup for a smaller HT in my den, and it works great. The F12 works well with CB5s and the CC-5, its a nice 5.1 setup that sounds great for a decent price.
post #23405 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Didn't want to feel left out...this was the second of 2 pair available in Sydney, NS boxing day sale...

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #23406 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

Elaborate!! You just can't say "cheap" and leave it at that!!!

lol well lets say I got a nice hook up from the manager(who doesn't know much about speakers)

Paid $130 each for the RC-R's and because I went back to him for the center he gave me the RC-LCR for $150.

Works perfect and I just added a Velodyne sub(VDR12) that I got for $230 and it really completes the system.

I can't believe how cheap I got this setup for but I really try hard to find bargains.

BTW: Partly why I got them for so cheap was because in the computer system these were the last ones left in the whole area of futureshop so he just thought nobody wanted them anymore.
post #23407 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Incredible. Congrats!

Afro GT
post #23408 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgminder View Post

Thanks for the response! Looks like I'll give the VSX-1020-K a shot. Best Buy has it on sale for 378.99 and the AVR-1611 is 399.99. I know I can get the AVR-1611 cheaper online but I've got $200 in Best Buy gift cards that were Christmas gifts. My budget for a sub is probably around $200 - $300. I live in a townhouse so I don't need a ton of bass. Just looking for something good to fill things out.

I've been researching avr's from Best Buy lately, as I am in need of one. If you do not need 3D capability, then I would look at last years models. I went to 2 BB / Magnolia's this weekend with some success but did not find something. Very ymmv. Well the whole ymmv part is all about the employee you find. Went to 2 Magnolia's. First one, a bunch of jerks who acted aloof and know it alls who paid no attention to what I was interested in until I just kept saying it over and over. The second one, excellent down to earth, common sense guy.

They have a few different screens to locate items. The second store's screens showed the closeout prices and everything, as he scrolled through all the different home theater gear on closeout (it was just me an him scrolling through with closeout prices right next to the items). The first store made me rattle off model numbers and then told me which stores "showed" them in stock. Funny thing at that first store. One of the model numbers I named came up at their store and he quickly closed out the screen. I should have waited to see if he would have said anything, but instead I said "what about that one" (kind of like, "hey I seen that, wtf"). He immediately said "let me go check in back". He came back and said they did not have it, it was a computer error.

Some of those guys are just so arrogant. A few are really down to earth guys that you would want to earn your business. YMMV, indeed.

So basically you just try to find a good guy and ask him if you and him can look through their store's and other local BB's home theater gear in the computer system in hopes of finding closeout items, mainly an avr. Then you can hopefully stand their with him and locate an avr at an outstanding deal.

Two deals that the nice guy showed me in the system was a Denon 1910ci for $150 and a Yamaha 2065 for $350. They weren't at his store but one within 6 miles. (I was already at the other store where they told me they did not have the 1910ci, and I didn't feel like going back for the 2065, because I am not familiar with it and I had already had enough of those guys, and frankly didn't trust them. But I have another model ( a Denon 4310ci possibly showing up at another store) that I am going to check on tomorrow...(people have been getting the 4310 for $550 new in box, $500 open box). I hate Best Buy, but feel like I still have to see if I can't get an avr at a steal of 75%-80% off msrp.

Also maybe price match is an option. Like you can get a Denon 1911 for $400 at electronics expo right now. If someone lived near an Electronics Expo brick and mortar store then they could price match Best Buy most certainly. Even if you don't, it's probably worth a shot. I think it all depends on finding an excellent Best Buy employee, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texraider View Post

I agree, I have this exact same setup for a smaller HT in my den, and it works great. The F12 works well with CB5s and the CC-5, its a nice 5.1 setup that sounds great for a decent price.

In researching ht stuff this past year I thought that exact system was a perfect budget system, especially when compared to an all in one 5.1 package. I have not heard it of course, though. If there is more of an indepth review you would like to give, especially since those speakers are so new still, that would be great! Very cool. Congratulations.
post #23409 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I have not spent to much time on this thread since I purchased my C series setup almost two years ago. Just pulled the trigger on a pair of CR-10's to replace my C-100's as side surrounds. I could not find a lot of opinions on these in the thread so I am just going to try them out and see what I like better. I was hoping that anybody who has these could post some pictures of their setup and tell me how they like them.

Thanks in advance!

-Brent
post #23410 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 PM

for anyone looking for the energy rc-lcr speakers. there's a seller on ebay that has them for about $370 shipped. showing up as more than 10 available right now. no affiliation with the seller. i just picked one up for myself to go with the rc-50s that i recently bought from vann's.
post #23411 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that's because they are newer / not a lot of owners with the CR-10's. That's the idea I get.
post #23412 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM

Just pulled the trigger on 4 CB-5s as the left, right, and surrounds along with the CC-5 for the center and I'm pretty excited about these. Any suggestions on a good sub to fill out the 5.1 ? Will be primarily for watching TV and movies, along with my kids playing the Wii and occasional music.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
post #23413 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the CB5's / cc5.

Well in my research I think I found the BIC F12 is seen as the least expensive for a decent sub. (http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=8&spkrID=84) There are plenty out there that are better for more money. I picked one up for my parents from blt.com, in which they provided a excellent transaction. But I really haven't been around it all the much, or really any others for that matter. But here's the link where I ordered one http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...r_id=!ORDERID!. And here is the F12's avsforum thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1116093.

Check out the subwoofer forums and maybe have your budget and room dimensions for those threads, and maybe provide that info here, too. Good luck.
post #23414 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Congrats on the CB5's / cc5.

Well in my research I think I found the BIC F12 is seen as the least expensive for a decent sub. (http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=8&spkrID=84) There are plenty out there that are better for more money. I picked one up for my parents from blt.com, in which they provided a excellent transaction. But I really haven't been around it all the much, or really any others for that matter. But here's the link where I ordered one http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...r_id=!ORDERID!. And here is the F12's avsforum thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1116093.

Check out the subwoofer forums and maybe have your budget and room dimensions for those threads, and maybe provide that info here, too. Good luck.

Thanks - will do.

Chris
post #23415 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 PM

I don't think i ever put up pictures of my center. Well here they are

Main
Energy V6.3 x2
Energy V5.2C
Energy RC-70 x2
Angstrom Pochetto-II x2
SVS PC13-Ultra
Sony XBR-52HX909
Marantz SR7005

Room
Dynaudio X12 x4
Dynaudio X22C
Samsung UN46C8000
Denon AVR-791
post #23416 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumax View Post

for anyone looking for the energy rc-lcr speakers. there's a seller on ebay that has them for about $370 shipped. showing up as more than 10 available right now. no affiliation with the seller. i just picked one up for myself to go with the rc-50s that i recently bought from vann's.

I noticed those RC-LCRs today on eBay. There's another seller (Shamcy) that has more than 10 available, but those are priced at $499 apiece.

I was tempted for the new ones ($369), but the sellers feedback (729 negative feedback and 1245 neutral feedback in the last sic months) kept me from pulling the trigger. Most of the complaints are about poor packaging and the seller being unresponsive.

Do keep us posted on your experience with this transaction.
post #23417 of 52683 Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjadhav View Post

I noticed those RC-LCRs today on eBay. There's another seller (Shamcy) that has more than 10 available, but those are priced at $499 apiece.

I was tempted for the new ones ($369), but the sellers feedback (729 negative feedback and 1245 neutral feedback in the last sic months) kept me from pulling the trigger. Most of the complaints are about poor packaging and the seller being unresponsive.

Do keep us posted on your experience with this transaction.

i'm concerned about the feedback as well...but, i figure that paying with credit card via paypal should provide me with some cover...
post #23418 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

i saw that listing on my iphone after you posted it. for some reason instead of more than 10 available, it showed 199 total units. if that's the case all the energy owners who were looking for an rc-lcr will have a chance to get one. the one thing i found a little odd was after reading some of the feedback, i noticed the seller deals with mostly inexpensive items (less than $100). if the number of total units is true, how the hell did they find 199 rc-lcr's? i'm kind of leaning to buying another lcr for the bedroom setup. i'll wait and see.

post #23419 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

In researching ht stuff this past year I thought that exact system was a perfect budget system, especially when compared to an all in one 5.1 package. I have not heard it of course, though. If there is more of an indepth review you would like to give, especially since those speakers are so new still, that would be great! Very cool. Congratulations.

I got them last year to replace an Energy Take Classics set that I had in my den, and it was a big improvement. I still love my Take Classics, I moved those into my bedroom and they sound nice in that room, since its a smaller room and all. The CB-5s and CC-5 are still smallish speakers, so I would recommend them if the room you are going to put them in is not that big, otherwise I would say go with towers and the CB-5s as surrounds. I use them mostly for movies and TV, and only a little bit for music. For movies and TV, they sound awesome, nice a crisp sound, clean and accurate IMO. For Music they also sound very good, the tweeters that come with these speakers have impressed me a lot. I guess it all depends on what you like, for me they are pretty sweet speakers, especially if you can get them cheap and not retail price.

I definitely recommend a nice sub to go with these speakers, they do produce a decent amount of bass, but nowhere near what most of us here would probably like to hear on a regular basis. For people on a budget, I would go with a BIC F12, I did that and it matches up nicely with these speakers. My cousin has a BIC PL-200 (got to hear it a bit) and IMO that would also go great with the CB-5's and CC-5, its a little pricier ($269 by offering less on eBay) but also more powerful than the F12. Another option could be Lava subs, I'm getting two 10 inchers from them later this week, they have been getting great reviews on here too. Lava also has a nice 12" sub: the LSP12 that is currently on back order but you can get 5% off instantly since its on back order, and if you contact them through email, they can give you a unique code for an extra 15% off for being an AVS Forum member. I think their 10" subs are in stock, their 12" subs will be coming in later this month. You can use their discount on any of their subs on their website.

One thing I do have to note on here is that I look at these (CB-5, CC-5) as nice budget speakers, a nice step up from the Energy Take Classics. For people on a budget or people starting up, these are great speakers and will keep up nicely til the upgrade bug kicks in, then watch out! Before you know it, you will be looking at the other "bigger" Energy speakers.. its only natural, but until that happens these speakers will do just fine.
post #23420 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Just a general observation on the Veritas CC pics posted by malagant. The silver plating around the drivers doesn't look as neat/clean as the RC in the sense of transition between driver and tweeter, it somehow looks off to me. The binding posts on the back are the exact same used on the RC where as the Veritas 2.x "i" series has gold plated posts and seem more solid and high-end. Also, the new Veritas CC only has one rear port, not sure if that's better or worse, but don't both drivers need to 'breathe'? I'm not bashing the new Veritas, but it seems Energy dropped the ball on certain design aspects, which I'm sure we all thought would happen based on Klipsch takeover. Obviously the new speakers look more modern than the 'space ship' theme of the older series, which is good, and they claim the crossovers are more advanced than the RC, but I'm curious how they would stack up against their predecessor.

Is anyone able to comment on how these sound vs the RC or vs the older Veritas?

ps, sorry if this has already been asked.

They do look like nice speakers, and since I think malagant is the only member who owns them right now, I hope you can provide feedback on how they perform in a home environment.
post #23421 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:

i'm concerned about the feedback as well...but, i figure that paying with credit card via paypal should provide me with some cover...

Yes, the eBay buyer protection program should have you covered. Though I hope you won't need it.
post #23422 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by malagant View Post

I don't think i ever put up pictures of my center. Well here they are

I didn't know the new Veritas CC was so different from the RC-LCR. One port and missing those dual midranges. How can it be better if it's missing the midranges? I thought that was important. Anyway, it looks way cooler than the RC-LCR.

Malagant, I gotta ask since you've got them right next to each other how do the Veritas 6.3 sound compared to the RC-70's? If you closed your eyes would it be possible to confuse the two?

Just noticed that the Energy site shows 2 ports on the 5.2 center. Weird?

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #23423 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 AM

Maybe he took plugging the port a little too literally ?
post #23424 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by texraider View Post

I got them last year to replace an Energy Take Classics set that I had in my den, and it was a big improvement. I still love my Take Classics, I moved those into my bedroom and they sound nice in that room, since its a smaller room and all. The CB-5s and CC-5 are still smallish speakers, so I would recommend them if the room you are going to put them in is not that big, otherwise I would say go with towers and the CB-5s as surrounds. I use them mostly for movies and TV, and only a little bit for music. For movies and TV, they sound awesome, nice a crisp sound, clean and accurate IMO. For Music they also sound very good, the tweeters that come with these speakers have impressed me a lot. I guess it all depends on what you like, for me they are pretty sweet speakers, especially if you can get them cheap and not retail price.

I definitely recommend a nice sub to go with these speakers, they do produce a decent amount of bass, but nowhere near what most of us here would probably like to hear on a regular basis. For people on a budget, I would go with a BIC F12, I did that and it matches up nicely with these speakers. My cousin has a BIC PL-200 (got to hear it a bit) and IMO that would also go great with the CB-5's and CC-5, its a little pricier ($269 by offering less on eBay) but also more powerful than the F12. Another option could be Lava subs, I'm getting two 10 inchers from them later this week, they have been getting great reviews on here too. Lava also has a nice 12" sub: the LSP12 that is currently on back order but you can get 5% off instantly since its on back order, and if you contact them through email, they can give you a unique code for an extra 15% off for being an AVS Forum member. I think their 10" subs are in stock, their 12" subs will be coming in later this month. You can use their discount on any of their subs on their website.

One thing I do have to note on here is that I look at these (CB-5, CC-5) as nice budget speakers, a nice step up from the Energy Take Classics. For people on a budget or people starting up, these are great speakers and will keep up nicely til the upgrade bug kicks in, then watch out! Before you know it, you will be looking at the other "bigger" Energy speakers.. its only natural, but until that happens these speakers will do just fine.

ok, the upgrade bite is biting me last few days.
i currently have Jamo 2xE660, C400CEN and 2xC400SUR and Sub250.
afrogt confirmed to me below setup would be a good upgrade but would below be sufficient for a 20'x13' room? living in an apartment. i may have to relocate in few months, so below room is not 'forever applicable'.. Here is the URL to my room details - https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPfCoPYM
Setup..
Fronts 2xRC-30s (or should go for RC-50s?)
Center RC Mini CC (or should go for CC-5?)
Surrs CB-5 (sufficient? should surrs be same driver size as say, Center?)
Sub BIC F-12 or lava 10" that goes upto 22hz.
post #23425 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM

i finally upgraged my front rc10s to rc50s!
post #23426 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 AM

I think running DSX wides as RC10s along side the RC50s fronts will be beautifull. now waiting for the 50s, 2 days.

Is anyone running 50s and 10s with DSX wides?
post #23427 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by energy-man View Post
I think running DSX wides as RC10s along side the RC50s fronts will be beautifull. now waiting for the 50s, 2 days.

I think you should definitely run DSX as apposed to tradition 7.1 with rears. There's no reason the 10s and 50s won't play nice together.
post #23428 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post
I didn't know the new Veritas CC was so different from the RC-LCR. One port and missing those dual midranges. How can it be better if it's missing the midranges? I thought that was important. Anyway, it looks way cooler than the RC-LCR.

Malagant, I gotta ask since you've got them right next to each other how do the Veritas 6.3 sound compared to the RC-70's? If you closed your eyes would it be possible to confuse the two?

Just noticed that the Energy site shows 2 ports on the 5.2 center. Weird?

Yeah, that is ****ed. I thought something was odd but couldn't put my finger on it or in it so to speak. I just got off the phone with energy. Absolutely useless... Couldn't tell me anything except what was on the picture on the website. Suggested I call the Canadian distributor Gentec??? Oh well calling in a few minutes. It is also possible that it could be a "running" change the engineering department made before the release. The pictures could just be a prototype. Well hopefully I will find out soon.

As for the difference in the V6.3's and the RC-70's, I can't tell the difference right now. I don't really know what to "look" for. My ears aren't "trained" to hear the subtle differences at the moment. With some time i'm pretty sure that will change or maybe not. I've only had the V6.3's for two weeks and the RC-70's since boxing day (but only hooked them up a couple days ago). All I can tell you at the moment is that they both sound a hell of a lot better then my old speakers Logitech Z5500. I don't even know how I lived with them for 2 years??? Everything in my sig is was obtained within the last 2 weeks. Big change from what I came from.

Main
Energy V6.3 x2
Energy V5.2C
Energy RC-70 x2
Angstrom Pochetto-II x2
SVS PC13-Ultra
Sony XBR-52HX909
Marantz SR7005

Room
Dynaudio X12 x4
Dynaudio X22C
Samsung UN46C8000
Denon AVR-791
post #23429 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by energy-man View Post

I'm running RC-50s up front and RC-10s for DSX Wides. Works well. Seamless front wrap-around stage.

Because of the wider front stage and the two additional speakers, I really had to increase the level calibration of the side surrounds. Remember, each speaker is calibrated to reference level, so with essentially double the number of speakers up front, your ears hear more coming from in front of you and that tends to wash out some of the surround content coming from the sides/behind you.

But for many movies where the surround element isn't "enveloping" anyways (The Fifth Element is a perfect example), the additional front stage is REALLY nice. For other movies where you want to hear all the details of the surround content (movies with falling rain, bullets or arrows flying all around you, etc.), some of that is muted by the added front stage.

I was originally going to put another set of RC-10s along the back wall for rear surrounds, but I haven't done that yet since my AVR can't handle it (only 7.2 capable). But now that the RC-10s aren't available, I may have a tough time doing it anyways, even if I upgraded my AVR.

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243820

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #23430 of 52683 Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_V View Post

I'm running RC-50s up front and RC-10s for DSX Wides. Works well. Seamless front wrap-around stage.

Because of the wider front stage and the two additional speakers, I really had to increase the level calibration of the side surrounds. Remember, each speaker is calibrated to reference level, so with essentially double the number of speakers up front, your ears hear more coming from in front of you and that tends to wash out some of the surround content coming from the sides/behind you.

But for many movies where the surround element isn't "enveloping" anyways (The Fifth Element is a perfect example), the additional front stage is REALLY nice. For other movies where you want to hear all the details of the surround content (movies with falling rain, bullets or arrows flying all around you, etc.), some of that is muted by the added front stage.

I was originally going to put another set of RC-10s along the back wall for rear surrounds, but I haven't done that yet since my AVR can't handle it (only 7.2 capable). But now that the RC-10s aren't available, I may have a tough time doing it anyways, even if I upgraded my AVR.

What do you think about your RC50s? how do they compare to yout RC10s?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page