Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #23431 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got the answer about the ports on the Veritas V5.2C center channels

There was a running change in the manufacture of these units. The originals had only 1 port and the subsequent run had two. The drivers and the crossovers in these units were adjusted to comply with both formats and there is little discernable difference in sound. If you are not satisfied with your unit I would suggest returning it to the retailer from which it was purchased. Future Shop has received an equal amount of each run and should have a two port version available at one of their stores.

Bill Duffin
Service/Technical
Gentec International

Main
Energy V6.3 x2
Energy V5.2C
Energy RC-70 x2
Angstrom Pochetto-II x2
SVS PC13-Ultra
Sony XBR-52HX909
Marantz SR7005

Room
Dynaudio X12 x4
Dynaudio X22C
Samsung UN46C8000
Denon AVR-791
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23432 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
[quote=malagant;19755590]Yeah, that is ****ed. I thought something was odd but couldn't put my finger on it or in it so to speak. I just got off the phone with energy. Absolutely useless... Couldn't tell me anything except what was on the picture on the website. Suggested I call the Canadian distributor Gentec??? Oh well calling in a few minutes. It is also possible that it could be a "running" change the engineering department made before the release. The pictures could just be a prototype. Well hopefully I will find out soon.

That is very interesting in that your speaker only has one port and all the documentation that I have seen for the new Veritas center channel shows it with 2 ports. Did you actually talk to energy tech support or did you just talk to the first level sales people I wonder..... At any rate, the rest of the speaker totally mimics the Veritas center channel design EX: 2.0Ci . With 2 drivers and one of them(with a higher crossover) tied to the tweeter with the Convergent Source Module design. Although on that speaker (V2.0Ci)there were two ports in the back.
The only reason I could think that they would drop the additional port would be to tame some of the bass? Many people actually plug the ports on the RC-LCR due to excessive bass or a perceived "chestiness" for a lack of a better term anyway. As far as questioning the quality of the sound of this speaker due to the lack of the dual midrange driver array, I wouldn't be quick to assume that it is not as good. The Veritas 2.0Ci sounded fantastic with this design... every bit the equal of my RC-LCR. If anything, I feel part of the noted different tonal match observed by many speaker reviews with the RC-LCR and the other RC towers is because of this dual midrange approach. So, if anything this design may provide a more seemless front soundstage with the Veritas towers...Would love to what Energy says about this port discrepancy though!.....

OOps too late..... I see your reply now....
post #23433 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that is amazing info! What is your plan? If it were me and it appeared that my current speaker design was scrapped for some reason, I would probably want the newer version! I would love to hear from an actual Energy technical support/engineer on this....That appears to be quite a change to do mid-run......
post #23434 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batt50 View Post

i saw that listing on my iphone after you posted it. for some reason instead of more than 10 available, it showed 199 total units. if that's the case all the energy owners who were looking for an rc-lcr will have a chance to get one. the one thing i found a little odd was after reading some of the feedback, i noticed the seller deals with mostly inexpensive items (less than $100). if the number of total units is true, how the hell did they find 199 rc-lcr's? i'm kind of leaning to buying another lcr for the bedroom setup. i'll wait and see.

Hope this isn't too good to be true - if true, this is excellent news for RC owners out there. It is somewhat hard to imagine that there were 200 of these sitting out there somewhere, hidden until now... but anything is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malagant View Post

Yeah, that is ****ed. I thought something was odd but couldn't put my finger on it or in it so to speak. I just got off the phone with energy. Absolutely useless... Couldn't tell me anything except what was on the picture on the website. Suggested I call the Canadian distributor Gentec??? Oh well calling in a few minutes. It is also possible that it could be a "running" change the engineering department made before the release. The pictures could just be a prototype. Well hopefully I will find out soon.

As for the difference in the V6.3's and the RC-70's, I can't tell the difference right now. I don't really know what to "look" for. My ears aren't "trained" to hear the subtle differences at the moment. With some time i'm pretty sure that will change or maybe not. I've only had the V6.3's for two weeks and the RC-70's since boxing day (but only hooked them up a couple days ago). All I can tell you at the moment is that they both sound a hell of a lot better then my old speakers Logitech Z5500. I don't even know how I lived with them for 2 years??? Everything in my sig is was obtained within the last 2 weeks. Big change from what I came from.

Wow, I thought my little buying spree (culminating in a 9 chanel RC setup) was bad! Those Logitech Systems seem very popular, I upgraded from the z-680 which is the predecessor to the z-5500, which I just gave to my little brother after nearly 10 years of faithful service. I think the biggest difference is going from an 8" to 10" sub on the z-5500. I've also seen several other users upgrading from the z-5500 on here as well.

IBEW Local 1643
post #23435 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori View Post

ok, the upgrade bite is biting me last few days.
i currently have Jamo 2xE660, C400CEN and 2xC400SUR and Sub250.
afrogt confirmed to me below setup would be a good upgrade but would below be sufficient for a 20'x13' room? living in an apartment. i may have to relocate in few months, so below room is not 'forever applicable'.. Here is the URL to my room details - https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPfCoPYM
Setup..
Fronts 2xRC-30s (or should go for RC-50s?)
Center RC Mini CC (or should go for CC-5?)
Surrs CB-5 (sufficient? should surrs be same driver size as say, Center?)
Sub BIC F-12 or lava 10" that goes upto 22hz.

if you've got the money get the RC-50s

RC mini CC and CC-5 both use 4.5" drivers and the RC Mini CC is definitely the better speaker as far as using kevlar drivers and the build quality plus matching the RC series tweeter. The CC-5 would be a downgrade.

Get one of the RC LCRs on ebay for $370 if you want the best fit.

You can use CB-5 for surrounds especially for the price on Vanns.

Afro GT
post #23436 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Wow, that is amazing info! What is your plan? If it were me and it appeared that my current speaker design was scrapped for some reason, I would probably want the newer version! I would love to hear from an actual Energy technical support/engineer on this....That appears to be quite a change to do mid-run......

I don't know, i'm not to bothered about it now. I just checked the local futureshop on the way home from the gym, they had the one port ones too. They are supposed to sound the same so...
On another note I've sent an email to Mark Casavant about why the change, so maybe we will find out about it. Now lets see if he replies.

Main
Energy V6.3 x2
Energy V5.2C
Energy RC-70 x2
Angstrom Pochetto-II x2
SVS PC13-Ultra
Sony XBR-52HX909
Marantz SR7005

Room
Dynaudio X12 x4
Dynaudio X22C
Samsung UN46C8000
Denon AVR-791
post #23437 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by energy-man View Post

What do you think about your RC50s? how do they compare to yout RC10s?

Well, there's no comparison, really. They're 3-ways with dual 5.5's and the RC-10 is a 2-way with a single 5.5. The 50's have more bass, more midrange, and just a more "developed" sound all-around.

Of course, you know how good the RC-10s are. As far as bookshelf speakers go, they're amazing. But the 50's are in another class, really. They've got the same sound, the same timbre, but there's just more fullness and a wider frequency range output from the RC-50s.

I use the RC-10s for surrounds and have the 50's up front with an RC-LCR in the center. Front L-C-R array is powered with 250 Watts. Overall, I'm pleased with the sound.

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243820

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #23438 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_V View Post

Well, there's no comparison, really. They're 3-ways with dual 6.5's and the RC-10 is a 2-way with a single 6.5. The 50's have more bass, more midrange, and just a more "developed" sound all-around.

The RC10 has a 5.5 driver, not 6.5

Nice build thread Drew_V, maybe I missed it but where's the list of your gear?
post #23439 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_40k View Post

The RC10 has a 5.5 driver, not 6.5

Thanks. Corrected.

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243820

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #23440 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 PM

Do the Rc 50s need 250 wpc to excel? I wonder if my Denon avr 989 will be enough.
post #23441 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM

Excel at what? Being unbearably loud? They will be nearly twice as loud as they if you were feeding them 30 watts.

IBEW Local 1643
post #23442 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 07:16 PM

well i think i was lucky today as i got tha last pair of those rc 70 @ 499 each and a pair of the demo RC-R for 114 each ... but one of them seem to have small/ little dent/poke on the dome tweeter (probably some kids lol) .. i listen to them and they sound fine so i hope that i did not do a mistake to grab them ... no center left lol so here is my dilemma as i have a take classic 5.1 and i was wondering what to do with it ?? can i used the center and satellite speaker on my set up and will my pioneer svx-1018 be powerful enough to play the rc 70 ?? i will be listening mostly to music .. ( my kids anyway ..)
thanks for all your input
post #23443 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
[quote=mesasone;19757020]Hope this isn't too good to be true - if true, this is excellent news for RC owners out there. It is somewhat hard to imagine that there were 200 of these sitting out there somewhere, hidden until now... but anything is possible.

tell me about it. seems like every time it looks like the lcr is extinct, a bunch of them pop up somewhere (woot, ebay). i looked at the listing again a few hours ago. the total was down to 196. still a lot if the number of units is correct.

post #23444 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbotte View Post

well i think i was lucky today as i got tha last pair of those rc 70 @ 499 each and a pair of the demo RC-R for 114 each ... but one of them seem to have small/ little dent/poke on the dome tweeter (probably some kids lol) .. i listen to them and they sound fine so i hope that i did not do a mistake to grab them ... no center left lol so here is my dilemma as i have a take classic 5.1 and i was wondering what to do with it ?? can i used the center and satellite speaker on my set up and will my pioneer svx-1018 be powerful enough to play the rc 70 ?? i will be listening mostly to music .. ( my kids anyway ..)
thanks for all your input

Yea I was in the same situation. Bought the RC-70's at Futureshop and got 2 demo RC-R's. Great price you got on them. That's less then cost price.

I was also able to find a RC-LCR but before I found it I had bought the RC mini center channel and imo that's the best alternative. I say it can keep up with the speakers especially when run with a subwoofer.

I say its the next best alternative to if you can't find the RC-LCR
post #23445 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_V View Post

Well, there's no comparison, really. They're 3-ways with dual 5.5's and the RC-10 is a 2-way with a single 5.5. The 50's have more bass, more midrange, and just a more "developed" sound all-around.

Of course, you know how good the RC-10s are. As far as bookshelf speakers go, they're amazing. But the 50's are in another class, really. They've got the same sound, the same timbre, but there's just more fullness and a wider frequency range output from the RC-50s.

I use the RC-10s for surrounds and have the 50's up front with an RC-LCR in the center. Front L-C-R array is powered with 250 Watts. Overall, I'm pleased with the sound.

I have said this before, but with the great sale still on for the RC-50s, you would be foolish not to take advantage if you need towers! But, just to clarify, the RC-50s (with 6.5 inch drivers) and likewise the RC-30s (with 5.5 inch drivers) are more like 2.5 way speakers. They don't use a true separate midrange driver like the RC-70s do. But, what they do use is a tapered crossover system with their drivers. In the case of the RC-50, the bottom driver (woofer) goes up to around 800 Hz and the upper driver (woofer and midrange)outputs the same frequencies all the way till about 3kHz. This then slightly crosses over the tweeter which kicks in at around 1.5kHz. A design that obviously works very well!
post #23446 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori View Post

ok, the upgrade bite is biting me last few days.
i currently have Jamo 2xE660, C400CEN and 2xC400SUR and Sub250.
afrogt confirmed to me below setup would be a good upgrade but would below be sufficient for a 20'x13' room? living in an apartment. i may have to relocate in few months, so below room is not 'forever applicable'.. Here is the URL to my room details - https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPfCoPYM
Setup..
Fronts 2xRC-30s (or should go for RC-50s?)
Center RC Mini CC (or should go for CC-5?)
Surrs CB-5 (sufficient? should surrs be same driver size as say, Center?)
Sub BIC F-12 or lava 10" that goes upto 22hz.

You could go for the RC-50s if you can get them at a good price (I would if I was you). But if you go with larger towers, you might need a bigger center to not be overpowered there as well. I have a CC-10 for my main HT and it works great, sounds super clear and comes out much better than the CC-5. Its also a much larger center than the CC-5. I would wait for a deal on a CC-10 though, but those deals do show up so its just a matter of being patient.. which can be hard at times. If you can't wait, they are out there regularly for $300.

The CB-5s can definitely be used for surrounds and would match up well with a CC-5 or a CC-10 center.

The Bic F12 or Lava 10 or 12 would be good either way. I love my F12s for their power and price, but the Lava's have also been getting great reviews too. I'll review my two new 10" Lavas in a few days and we will see how they compare the F12.
post #23447 of 52329 Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

While I mostly agree with texraider, I would go with the RC Mini CC. Timber matching is the most important on the front three speakers, they are the most crucial. Rears/sides are mostly just ambient noise, you will be less likely to notice. If you are on a budget you can get away with CB/CR as rears/sides. It won't be ideal mixing like that, but it's not like it will sound bad or anything.
post #23448 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_40k View Post

While I mostly agree with texraider, I would go with the RC Mini CC. Timber matching is the most important on the front three speakers, they are the most crucial. Rears/sides are mostly just ambient noise, you will be less likely to notice. If you are on a budget you can get away with CB/CR as rears/sides. It won't be ideal mixing like that, but it's not like it will sound bad or anything.

Thanks knight, I do agree with your opinion. I should have noted that the CC-10 would just be another option for a larger center.. especially when compared to a CC-5. I have seen some people using a CC-10 successfully with other Energy speakers sets, but I do agree that it would be better to keep them mostly in the same speaker line. I guess with the RC-Mini CC getting a little harder to find these days, some people have started to go with the other more available Energy centers out there (CC-5 and CC-10), even if it means mixing them up.
post #23449 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 AM

Sorry to spam but I have a gloss black mini cc that's got a few hours on it otherwise it's new. I bought it thinking I wouldn't be able to find an LCR. I found one so my mini is available. Please pm if interested, I'm located in 90505.
post #23450 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 04:49 AM

my current setup is rc 70 as mains and the rc lcr as center...I have cf70 towers and also a pair of paradigm monitor 9 v6 which were my mains but I did not like them and am very satisfied with the sound of rc 70...should I use the energy cf 70 as surrounds or use my paradigms...will there any difference in using them
post #23451 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 AM

Hello. Just got a pair of rc 30s from vanns and a cc10. Currently running only a 5.1 set up. Can someone recommend to me a good receiver.
post #23452 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 AM

Denon 1910 is what i'm running with rc30s and an rc-lcr so that would be my recommendation.
post #23453 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 AM

Need a little advice, I have an extra BNIB RC-10 that I originally bought to use as a center channel but never did because I used one of my RC-10s intend for surround duty until I happened upon an RC-LCR. I'm having a heck of a time selling the extra RC-10 and am wondering if I should keep trying to sell it or buy an extra RC-10 and use them to create an epic 7.1 system whenever i finally get a chance to set up my surrounds. I also have an RC-Mini CC that I never plugged in sitting in a box in my basement haha... any suggestions?
post #23454 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aassad1 View Post

Need a little advice, I have an extra BNIB RC-10 that I originally bought to use as a center channel but never did because I used one of my RC-10s intend for surround duty until I happened upon an RC-LCR. I'm having a heck of a time selling the extra RC-10 and am wondering if I should keep trying to sell it or buy an extra RC-10 and use them to create an epic 7.1 system whenever i finally get a chance to set up my surrounds. I also have an RC-Mini CC that I never plugged in sitting in a box in my basement haha... any suggestions?

i know what you should do with the rc 10 ...sell it to me for a very good price lol as i am looking for a center chanel for my rc 70 .. are they better than the rc min lcr ?? ..
thanks
post #23455 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 AM

I know it been asked a million times, but what is the recommended wall mount now for the rc10's. I have some mounts but they really dont work and I don't want to chance them holding the rc10's since they are heavier. Please recommend a mount.
post #23456 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aassad1 View Post

Denon 1910 is what i'm running with rc30s and an rc-lcr so that would be my recommendation.

Thanks. I'm currently running the rc 30s on a pioneer 1020k. Frankly I'm underwhelmed by the sq. I upgraded from Take system running on onkyo 507 and it sounded great until he Hdmi board gave up on the onkyo (common problem with the model the tech told me). I was wondering I'm under-powering these speakers.
post #23457 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:

I know it been asked a million times, but what is the recommended wall mount now for the rc10's. I have some mounts but they really dont work and I don't want to chance them holding the rc10's since they are heavier. Please recommend a mount.

The official wall mount is the "macromount" which is branded sometimes as API, Mirage, Energy, or Athena (all were the same company).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #23458 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper334 View Post

my current setup is rc 70 as mains and the rc lcr as center...I have cf70 towers and also a pair of paradigm monitor 9 v6 which were my mains but I did not like them and am very satisfied with the sound of rc 70...should I use the energy cf 70 as surrounds or use my paradigms...will there any difference in using them

umm... if you actually OWN all the speakers in question, why are you asking US? Use YOUR ears I would probably say keep the Energy just to keep it in the "family" but all that matters is what sounds best to YOU

In the mean time tell us more about the RC-70 vs. the CF-70!! You are one of the only people who owns both. What weren't you satisfied with before, and what makes the RC-70 so much better?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #23459 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The official wall mount is the "macromount" which is branded sometimes as API, Mirage, Energy, or Athena (all were the same company).

Thanks batpig. I know that the official mount is marcomount. I would just really like something that gets it out a little more from the wall.
post #23460 of 52329 Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

well, they have a standard 3/8" -16 thread, so any mount that uses that will work.

just make sure the mount is rating for 25-30lbs+. The RC-10's are 14lbs each but many mounts are "generous" with their on-paper spec, you'd rather not push them to the limit.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page