AVS Forum banner
5M views 57K replies 3K participants last post by  caper_1 
#1 ·
Unless I missed it I have noticed there is no thread for Energy owners so I thought I'd start one.

Just a place to discuss information about what line of speakers you have, what you use them for (ie music, HT etc) and what system you match them with. Its also great to hear about the different lines that Energy carry and am curious to hear what owners have to say (like the new Reference Connoisseur for instance).

I am currently running the Take 5 system with the e:XL-S10 sub. However I have recently purchased the Connoisseur Line including:

Fronts: C-3 Bookshelf

Center: C-C1 Center

Surround: C-R3's.

I run the Take's with a Onkyo TX-DS656 Receiver (soon to be replaced) and a Toshiba DVD player. New LCD to make the whole package complete soon..:)

So, post your Energy set-ups and opinions.

Thanks

See less See more
#54,221 ·
Simple. For starters, find a throw rug to cover the area between the center channel and the coffee table. Even if it's only for putting out while watching movies.
Next, get a thick dark fleece blanket to cover the glass coffee table with while watching movies.
That should resolve those issues.
Is it on or "in" the center console? Do you overhang the baffle(front edge) of the speaker off the front edge of the console? An inch will do it.
If you can raise it up any higher without blocking the screen that would help. You mentioned using foam wedges to tilt the speaker up. Just make sure it is aimed directly at your ear level when seated.
And what I behind the speaker? It's rear ported, needs room to breath. Or maybe put the port plugs in and give it a listen.
I've even gone as far as fooling with x-over settings.
Find that scene that gave you fits. Mess around with placement and settings above, and replay that scene until you are dialed.
I've lived with my "I" series Veritas center for 10 years now. It has never sounded better. I placed it in front of the credenza rather than on or in it like I've had it in the past. Then raised it off the ground about 6inches and is angled right at the listening position. Behind it I place a piece of black egg crate foam that I think helps the rear porting of these speakers.
All said and done, the center channel I have always wanted to replace is now good to go.

Reactions: deano86
#54,222 ·
Is it mostly male voices that are mumbled? They can get down into the range of your crossover to your sub. And also prone to standing waves. In addition to the suggestions above, you might want to grab a sound meter to see if you have some room nulls in that 80-150Hz range at your listening position. If it's in the range of your crossover, play with that as iron maiden suggests, or even play with sub positioning.

#54,223 ·
By chance, does anybody know of a thread, site, or any other resource that lists the different driver part numbers for the Veritas speakers???
I own a pair of the V2.2i's, the V2.0i, and two pairs of the V2.1's. One of the pairs of V2.1's had the frozen drivers so I'm trying to find replacements for them.
I just bought a brand new in the package driver on ebay. Took a gamble as I'm not sure what driver it is as far as what the part number is for.
I pulled a driver out of both the V2.2i's and the V2.1's. The number is identical to the V2.1 woofer part number (4DR//51868)
but adds an "R" at the end. It is clearly an "i" series driver so I'm hoping it's a replacement "R" driver for the non "'i" series Veritas.
Here was the auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/252101823847?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Found this one as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-woof...-Z4DR51869R-/271923331374?hash=item3f4fe4c12e
Certainly different. I'm thinking maybe this goes to the Veritas surround speakers.
Anyway, hopefully the one I bought is what I'm needing for the V2.1s. If so, will still need to find another to complete the pair.

Anyone have part #s for the different Veritas drivers???

#54,224 ·
By chance, does anybody know of a thread, site, or any other resource that lists the different driver part numbers for the Veritas speakers???
I own a pair of the V2.2i's, the V2.0i, and two pairs of the V2.1's. One of the pairs of V2.1's had the frozen drivers so I'm trying to find replacements for them.
I just bought a brand new in the package driver on ebay. Took a gamble as I'm not sure what driver it is as far as what the part number is for.
I pulled a driver out of both the V2.2i's and the V2.1's. The number is identical to the V2.1 woofer part number (4DR//51868)
but adds an "R" at the end. It is clearly an "i" series driver so I'm hoping it's a replacement "R" driver for the non "'i" series Veritas.
Here was the auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/252101823847?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Found this one as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-woof...-Z4DR51869R-/271923331374?hash=item3f4fe4c12e
Certainly different. I'm thinking maybe this goes to the Veritas surround speakers.
Anyway, hopefully the one I bought is what I'm needing for the V2.1s. If so, will still need to find another to complete the pair.

Anyone have part #s for the different Veritas drivers???
I want to share what I've found in my research on the second-generation Veritas speakers. The woofers have different Ohm ratings depending on how many are in the cabinet, (makes sense) so be careful of the descriptions when people claim they will "fit" in others. I really have no idea how likely the non "i" series woofers are to fail, but they are still available out there and I wanted backups just in case.

4DR//51869 - woofer for v2.0c
4DR//51914 - woofer for v2.0ci

4DR//51868 - woofer for v2.1/v2.2/v2.0r
4DR//51911 - woofer for v2.2i/v2.0ri *Note - there's no v2.1 with "i series"

4DR//51870 - woofer for v2.3
4DR//51912 - woofer for v2.3i

4DR//51871 - woofer for v2.4
4DR//51913 - woofer for v2.4i

5DR//53106 - tweeter for v2.0c/v2.0ci
5DR//53107 - tweeter for v2.1/v2.0r/v2.0ri *Note - there's no v2.1 with "i series"
4DR//52030 - tweeter for v2.2/v2.2i/v2.3/v2.3i/v2.4/v2.4i

5DR//61088 - midrange for v2.0r/v2.0ri

5DR//53311 - tweeter for v1.0cm

5DR//53312 - twt/mid for v2.0cm

5DR//63111 - woofer for v2.1wm/V2.2wm/V2.2hm in wall

5DR//63112 - woofer for v2.3wm

5DR//53313 - tweeter for v2.1wm

5DR//53314 - twt/mid for v2.2wm/v2.2hm/v2.3wm in wall
post #49071 . I had it bookmarked :)

#54,225 ·
Thank you!!!!

#54,226 ·
Hmmm. The one I just bought is 4DR//51868R
Any thoughts?

#54,228 ·
Wish that list showed the impedance of the different drivers. The drivers in the V2.2i & the V2.1 bookshelf models are 3.9ohms. (4ohms)
Plan to pull the woofs out of the V2.0i center to check those as well. May help me when I come across another driver.

#54,231 ·
Hi guys, got a surround placement question. I have RC-R's in a small (13x13) room, I can get the couch maybe 20" away from the rear wall. For running 5.1, what should I do? I can mount them 2' above listening position, but side or back wall? They're in the corners either way, and should be set to bipole or dipole? The boxes are just temporary until I know how to mount them haha.

Attachments

#54,232 ·
Personally, I would go side wall in dipole But experimenting is the right way. Personal taste will be the final word.

#54,233 ·
Definitely experiment. I would pick a few specific test scenes with heavy surround activity as a reference and try it both ways.

If you go back wall though they should be set to bipole. Dipole is designed for placement to the side where you sit in the null so the speaker isn't firing directly into your ear.

#54,237 ·
@Laserjock : Do it!!! Rc-70 front line of doom... When I had my 4 rc70 towers fronts/surround setup, live music shows were sounding like I was in the venue... Can't imagine how much presence you'd get from a RC70 front#wide setup....