3Likes

post #271 of 3593 Old 10-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemcr View Post

Yes, I have IKON 6 for fronts, IKON Vokal 2 for center, and IKON On-walls for rear. They sound great in my HT. They're designed to be used together, and my receiver doesn't have any problem with the different impedances.

Also, yes, you get higher wattage due to the lower impedance.

Thank you for your reply. I hope to go and listen to a set this week. Did you hesitate between the "On Wall" and the Ikon "1 or 2".

Because of the layout of my room, I probably would not have room for "On Wall" for the side surrounds, and would have to get the samller Ikons instead in a 7.1 setup.

Oh, and finally, what receiver do you use to drive your setup? Would you call these speakers "efficient"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3593 Old 10-09-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
In regards to the Helicons, do you guys prefer the Rosenut or the cherry? I am looking more for people who have seen both in person rather than just a style preference.
post #273 of 3593 Old 10-09-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

In regards to the Helicons, do you guys prefer the Rosenut or the cherry? I am looking more for people who have seen both in person rather than just a style preference.

Never seen the cherry in person but I'll provide my reason for choosing the rosenut. When I struggled with this question, I asked myself what wood finish is my preference with furniture case pieces. I have never been a fan of gloss finish, but the Dali's look like a hot redhead with brains.

In the past, I've always liked a mahogany, lush, rich wood finish. I was concerned with the rosenut because there is a Salamander cherry finish Synergy Twin in the room and I thought the rosenut might clash. However, the Rosenut actually accents and picks up the color of the cherry extremely well. The rosenut is a very rich looking finish that shows a lot of grain. I also considered rack style and finish (if you have one) and subwoofer finish.

From what I understand the cherry is also a stunner. You can't go wrong with either choice. However those are the questions I asked myself when I went with the rosenut finish Rydenfan.

Charles

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #274 of 3593 Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The gloss rosenut is stunningly beautiful in person. There is just no way a picture would be able to capture its elegance. I'm a fan of darker woods, so rosenut is up my alley. Some people like the look of a more natural cherry...
post #275 of 3593 Old 10-09-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

There is just no way a picture would be able to capture its elegance.

Agreed. I tried to photograph them and the photos do not do the rosenut finish justice. I am surprised that Dali's website does not have high resolution, professionally photographed images posted on their webpage. Their finish is one of the strong selling points of this line besides it's output.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #276 of 3593 Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input! I have decided to go with the Rosenut, as that was my first choice as well; but I wanted to hear from others with some more experiance. I am getting a tremendous deal on the Helicon 400's and Helicon C200 Center, the only downside is that Dali is out of the Rosenut C200, and only have the cherry left. That is how closeouts go... Luckily, it will be under a Salamander shelf so you should not see too much of the wood. I am very excited to join the Dali family!
post #277 of 3593 Old 10-09-2007, 10:14 PM

Rydenfan,
You will not be upset witht the Cherry finish. I had Helicon 400's in Rosenut and W200 and a C200 in Cherry. I prefer darker colors normally but actually liked the cherry finish better. It really pops out at you. Make sure you go with the W200 surrounds, they are amazing. They walked all over me Aerial SR3's. Good luck.

Jason
post #278 of 3593 Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Can anyone confirm that the IKON series comes in black? The DALI website says they do, but I have never seen a picture in that color.
post #279 of 3593 Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Luckily, it will be under a Salamander shelf so you should not see too much of the wood. I am very excited to join the Dali family!

Rydenfan,

The C200 will JUST fit under the Salamander Synergy Twin, Model 329. I don't know what model Salamander you own.

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/html/configurator.jsp

I have a plasma display sitting on top of the stand. Once you slide the center speaker into the Salamander space, if you use banana connections a very small portion of the center speaker will protrude. It is not flush with the edge of the stand with the Synergy Twin piece that I own.

Also, the cherry finish will not deter from the aesthetics because only the front edges of the finish are visible with the C200 speaker cover on. If you take the speaker cover off, then you will see more of the cherry finish because Dali finishes the entire speaker.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #280 of 3593 Old 10-10-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by evivbulgroz View Post

Can anyone confirm that the IKON series comes in black? The DALI website says they do, but I have never seen a picture in that color.

The Ikon speakers come in light walnut, black, and light oak.
post #281 of 3593 Old 10-10-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

With all the many models in Dali's lineup I don't know where to begin. I suspect given my budget I will easily settle into 2-3 lines. I am heading to a dealer this weekend to audition Dalis and would like some input on what to look for.

Currently my favorites are the B&W 683 and Monitor Audio RS6. These are $1400 and $900 respectively (making a compelling argument for the MAs). I was in the Dali delaer once before and they were actually the very first speakers I tried but I have no idea which line - I think something in the Ikon line, bookshelf model and I was not impressed. Now that I have a couple real contenders I am going back with a firmer price in mind and also a reference for comparison in both price and sound.

These speakers are for a music only system and I'd like to a) keep the main speakers under $2000 and b) have another nicely matched set of bookshelves in a nearby room where there is a lot of sound overlap (more casual listening so I 'd like to keep the price down on this pair). It sounds like the Ikon 6 is the place to start. What about the Suites? It sounds like those are targeted mainly at HT use and there is no matching bookshelf. Anything else I should consider?

Any suggestions guys?
post #282 of 3593 Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

Any suggestions guys?

I would look at the Ikon 6s as they have the nice ribbon tweeter section.
post #283 of 3593 Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

Rydenfan,

The C200 will JUST fit under the Salamander Synergy Twin, Model 329. I don't know what model Salamander you own.

I have the Synergy Triple, and I am adding the 10" Triple Riser as a shelf for the Center Channel to go under. My TV will then sit on top of the riser.
post #284 of 3593 Old 10-11-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evivbulgroz View Post

Thank you for your reply. I hope to go and listen to a set this week. Did you hesitate between the "On Wall" and the Ikon "1 or 2".

Because of the layout of my room, I probably would not have room for "On Wall" for the side surrounds, and would have to get the samller Ikons instead in a 7.1 setup.

Oh, and finally, what receiver do you use to drive your setup? Would you call these speakers "efficient"?

I didn't hesitate to get the On Walls for my rears as I wanted something I could mount on the wall. Either the 1 or 2 would probably be overkill for the rears as I don't really need to get as much bass out of them as the bookshelf speakers will generate. For me the On Walls take up less space as I don't have a shelf or anything to put then on and there's plenty of wall there.

As I mentioned earlier I have a Yamaha RX-V3800. They sounded okay with my previous RX-V595, but much better with the new receiver. As far as efficiency goes, I think they're pretty average (91.5 dB sensitivity).
post #285 of 3593 Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemcr View Post

I didn't hesitate to get the On Walls for my rears as I wanted something I could mount on the wall. Either the 1 or 2 would probably be overkill for the rears as I don't really need to get as much bass out of them as the bookshelf speakers will generate. For me the On Walls take up less space as I don't have a shelf or anything to put then on and there's plenty of wall there.

As I mentioned earlier I have a Yamaha RX-V3800. They sounded okay with my previous RX-V595, but much better with the new receiver. As far as efficiency goes, I think they're pretty average (91.5 dB sensitivity).

Thank you. The next step really is going to the dealer.

I found one. The guy sounded nice. I just have to get around to going. The guy is on the other side of town.
post #286 of 3593 Old 10-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone give me US MSRP for Dali Ikon 6, Ikon Vokal 2 and Ikon 1 please?

post #287 of 3593 Old 10-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Just in case you guys were wondering what the new Dali Helicon Mk II's look like. A dealer emailed me these photos on Friday.
LL
LL
LL
post #288 of 3593 Old 10-14-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

Can someone give me US MSRP for Dali Ikon 6, Ikon Vokal 2 and Ikon 1 please?

Try this site as posted previously.

http://www.spearitsound.com/dali/dali_home.htm

ED
post #289 of 3593 Old 10-14-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Ikon 1 - $875 Pair
Ikon 6 - $1,750 Pair
Ikon Vokal 2 - Center $650

Ikon 2 - $1,150 Pair
Ikon 5 - $1,480 Pair
Ikon 7 - $2,300 Pair
Ikon Vokal 1 - Center $430

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #290 of 3593 Old 10-14-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

Besides the cosmetic changes what are the differences between the Helicon MKII's versus the previous model?

I like the Piano black finish on the fronts. Very attractive looking speaker no doubt. Personally, I never take the covers off the Helicon's so that would not be a nudge to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Thanks,
Charles

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #291 of 3593 Old 10-14-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

Mike,

Besides the cosmetic changes what are the differences between the Helicon MKII's versus the previous model?

I like the Piano black finish on the fronts. Very attractive looking speaker no doubt. Personally, I never take the covers off the Helicon's so that would not be a nudge to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Thanks,
Charles

This was also in the email I received from the dealer and it is the release from Dali.

On Tuesday, October 16, DALI USA receives the first batch of HELICON MK II's for the US market. After listening to the 400 MK II's at CEDIA, it's obvious that MK II is more than just a pretty new face.

Aesthetically, there's no question MK II is in a different league. HELICON's gloss finish has always been beautiful. But, on MK II it's flawless - like glass, with no trace of "orange peel". The mirror-gloss black on the MK II's front and plinth offer enhanced elegance - reminiscent of a Steinway piano.

Sonically, however, is where HELICON MK II creates a real stir. The re-designed woofers, with double driver magnets, noticeably tighten bass response. Low frequency definition is dramatically improved, with increased cone control. If the original HELICON had a slight tendency towards mid-bass "bloom", it's tamed in MK II.

Transparency in all frequencies is enhanced due to upgraded components in the crossover. The MK II sounds "cleaner" throughout. Rear terminal connectors have also been improved for a nicer feel, and more solid connection.

All in all, HELICON MK II is a new animal. It retains the fluidity, warmth and luster that you've come to love in the original. But, the improvements lift MK II to a higher class of finesse and control.

MK II's will be available next week in both cherry and rosenut in the following models:
post #292 of 3593 Old 10-14-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

Thanks a lot for the information. MSRP's on these puppies??

One more question: Do you know if these same changes have been made to the center channel? I would think they did make the changes.

Thanks again!!

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #293 of 3593 Old 10-14-2007, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the MSRP Mozvz

post #294 of 3593 Old 10-14-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

Thanks for the MSRP Mozvz

You are welcome. If you need any other MSRP's on any of the Dali speakers, I have a 2007 speaker pricing sheet from Dali. They were kind enough to send me one. Dali has excellent customer service. However, unfortunately I don't have the new Helicon line MSRP's.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #295 of 3593 Old 10-15-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

My understanding is that the new Helicon 400 mkII will have an MSRP of $6,500! Certainly a big increase from the originals...
post #296 of 3593 Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My understanding is that the new Helicon 400 mkII will have an MSRP of $6,500! Certainly a big increase from the originals...

That is a hefty price increase at least in my world.

MSRP's on the CURRENT Helicon line are:

300 series - $3,300 Pair
400 series - $4,970 Pair
800 series - $7,150 Pair
C200 Center - $2,120

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #297 of 3593 Old 10-15-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I have heard it is somewhere around a 25% increase.

I just ordered a pair of Helicons on the closeout special, so I hope the sonic change is not too significant...
post #298 of 3593 Old 10-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Well, its time I now jump into the Dali ownership pool. I've just ordered a set of Dali Euphonia MS4s after auditioning them vs the Helicon 800s. I even brought my own equipment to audition!

Since I'm no expert reviewer, nor am I blessed with an amateur reviewer's vernacular, I can just say that it sounds better mainly in how it sounds just a little tighter. Things seemed more cohesive and flowing through my Cary Audio Cinema equipment and MIT cabling.

That's all I can say until I get them in my house... and I can't wait! I'll post unboxing pics when they come!

Rich
post #299 of 3593 Old 10-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Congrats on the Euphonias. They are exceptional.

XBox - Shizelbs

post #300 of 3593 Old 10-15-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprufrok View Post

Well, its time I now jump into the Dali ownership pool. I've just ordered a set of Dali Euphonia MS4s after auditioning them vs the Helicon 800s. I even brought my own equipment to audition!

Since I'm no expert reviewer, nor am I blessed with an amateur reviewer's vernacular, I can just say that it sounds better mainly in how it sounds just a little tighter. Things seemed more cohesive and flowing through my Cary Audio Cinema equipment and MIT cabling.

That's all I can say until I get them in my house... and I can't wait! I'll post unboxing pics when they come!

Rich

awesome! . They are great speakers and the finishing is outstanding

Its time to upgrade!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dali Bookshelf Speaker , Dali Ikon Vokal 2 Mkii Center Channel Speaker , Dali

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page