post #3541 of 3552 Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleffell View Post
I agree about the extra detail for the Ikon over the x12. I convinced myself of it having gone back and forth a few times (no A/B testing but we switched 2 or so times). I don't have enough room for stands now, they will be sitting on a desk. But I will add stands when I move or figure out how to reconfigure my space.
When I was first getting into higher end hifi like you, i was between the Ikon 2 MKI and X16s and the Totem Sttaf, I found that the Ikon was just a bit too shrill at higher volumes and went with the X16s as they sounded bigger then the Sttafs and had more slam and output and still smoother then the Ikons. I still like Dali speakers and Im thinking that Zensors for my second room would be great. Its all about preference, I don't think you have a bad decision in front of you.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3552 Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

DR Mark, great write up on the differences between the speakers, I always enjoy reading these types of things.

post #3543 of 3552 Old 07-26-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 42
callas01: Well I was comparing the X12 and the newer Ikon 1 MKII and for me it was a no brainer in my office, I went with the Ikon 1MKII and sold off the X12s. However the finishes on Dynaudio tend to be better at the lower end models verses the Dali's.
post #3544 of 3552 Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
callas01: Well I was comparing the X12 and the newer Ikon 1 MKII and for me it was a no brainer in my office, I went with the Ikon 1MKII and sold off the X12s. However the finishes on Dynaudio tend to be better at the lower end models verses the Dali's.
That'd be another consideration for some, fit and finish esp if they're gonna be in a living room or den where company or wives are gonna see them. some people would give up a tiny bit of detail for a speaker they can proudly display to friends and family... others wouldn't care what people say/feel or think. Again its preference and either way he has a great Danish speaker.

post #3545 of 3552 Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

callas01: Does the Zensor come in Lacquer finish? I went with Walnut and wife liked them, I also have the Ikon 1MKII in my office in same finish, I think for the money they sounded better than my older Excites. I think for the value the DM line is much better, when you step up into the Contour line that in a different league. Now if the Rubicon were priced a tad better, I think they would sell like hot cakes. I heard the Helicon and Epicon and loved them, they were the best speaker I have heard on instrumental music not as good to my ears as the Dyns on vocals. These were all being run on Halo separates.
post #3546 of 3552 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just got these in a couple of hours ago. Will try to get them hooked up and compare in a day or 2. Anything you would like me to focus on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0084.jpg (79.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0085.jpg (88.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0086.jpg (116.0 KB, 13 views)

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #3547 of 3552 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
callas01: Does the Zensor come in Lacquer finish? I went with Walnut and wife liked them, I also have the Ikon 1MKII in my office in same finish, I think for the money they sounded better than my older Excites. I think for the value the DM line is much better, when you step up into the Contour line that in a different league. Now if the Rubicon were priced a tad better, I think they would sell like hot cakes. I heard the Helicon and Epicon and loved them, they were the best speaker I have heard on instrumental music not as good to my ears as the Dyns on vocals. These were all being run on Halo separates.
$6k for the rubicon 6, wow. That's a price jump from the mentor 6.

The focus are chumps?

The zensor comes in a satin white vinyl wrap I believe. It's not lauquer.
post #3548 of 3552 Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Garman and callas01: Thanks for the info. The store is about to move locations and the California Audio Show is happening in a few weeks. I am probably going to go to the show to make sure I'm set on the Dyns/Dalis and then do final testing at the store after breaking in my amp (it should be arriving this week but I need to find a cheap set of speakers to break it in with). The store unfortunately doesn't do a/b testing which would probably make the process a bit easier. Of course I also just want to start listening so I have to fight the urge to make a brash decision (even though I'd probably be happy with either compared to what I've had in the past). I am also thinking about going up to the Ikon 2 MK2 size (I have no room for sub) but they do not stock that nor do any stores in the Bay Area (that I know about). I'd be hesitant to order it without hearing it but if I decide Ikon over Excite then maybe I could just go for it. I would also be interested in seeing if the Mentor line gets discounted as a result of their being phased-out.
post #3549 of 3552 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Here is another picture of the Dali lines. I'm still stunned at being able to compare the lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0089.jpg (159.1 KB, 11 views)

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #3550 of 3552 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
$6k for the rubicon 6, wow. That's a price jump from the mentor 6.

The focus are chumps?

The zensor comes in a satin white vinyl wrap I believe. It's not lauquer.
Focus are chumps? Far from it if your talking about Dynaudio, those are one of their best lines for the money if you asks me. I wouldn't mind the Focus 160s... Although if the Rubicon had a better monitor, it might not be bad, but I agree the price of the Rubicon 6 or 8 seem too over the top, I originally thought they were going to be around 3 grand for the Rubicon 6 but not double!
post #3551 of 3552 Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Focus are chumps? Far from it if your talking about Dynaudio, those are one of their best lines for the money if you asks me. I wouldn't mind the Focus 160s... Although if the Rubicon had a better monitor, it might not be bad, but I agree the price of the Rubicon 6 or 8 seem too over the top, I originally thought they were going to be around 3 grand for the Rubicon 6 but not double!
I meant cause you went from Excites to Contours, and skipped the Focus line. I think the Focus line is the best price/performance line you get with Dyn. But enough Dyn talk. I figured with the Mentor 6 price at $4499, the Rubicon 6 would be about $5300-5500, so to me, $6k is high, not crazy, but more then I would have expected. $3k is very low, considering that the Ikon 7s prices are in that range.

post #3552 of 3552 Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleffell View Post
Garman and callas01: Thanks for the info. The store is about to move locations and the California Audio Show is happening in a few weeks. I am probably going to go to the show to make sure I'm set on the Dyns/Dalis and then do final testing at the store after breaking in my amp (it should be arriving this week but I need to find a cheap set of speakers to break it in with). The store unfortunately doesn't do a/b testing which would probably make the process a bit easier. Of course I also just want to start listening so I have to fight the urge to make a brash decision (even though I'd probably be happy with either compared to what I've had in the past). I am also thinking about going up to the Ikon 2 MK2 size (I have no room for sub) but they do not stock that nor do any stores in the Bay Area (that I know about). I'd be hesitant to order it without hearing it but if I decide Ikon over Excite then maybe I could just go for it. I would also be interested in seeing if the Mentor line gets discounted as a result of their being phased-out.
the mentor 1 is going for about $1700 at audio visions SF, Another speaker you could look at in that $1k price range is the Dynaudio DM2/7, it'll have bass to satisfy. The Ikon 2 MKII and Excite X14 will have better resolution overall.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dali Bookshelf Speaker , Dali Ikon Vokal 2 Mkii Center Channel Speaker , Dali

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page