post #3571 of 3593 Old 08-04-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post
Im trying to figure out what set of speakers to buy. my choices are Rubicon 8, epicon 6 or the epicon 8

my room dimension are 7' high x 14.75 width x 23' long. Im assuming the epicon has more detail and resolution to the sound. I currently have Ikon 7's and I like the sound pressure these give me on explosions in movies.

I don't want the Epicon 6 to be a downgrade in this regard (3 woofers compared to 2). Will they? Also, will the epicon 8's be to much for my room. I have supershunks bass traps in the corners of my room where the speakers will be.

Any thoughts?

What amp and pre/pro are you using right now? The room size is within the boundaries of the Epicon 6. It's a bit small for the Epicon 8's. The Epicon's are a substantial upgrade over the Rubicon's.
As for the Ikon's VS. the Epicon's, prepared to be shocked "with the right amp, etc."

Life is enjoyable with good quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3593 Old 08-04-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post
I would contact your dealer. You pay them for the service, let them take care of it.
Already did, just curious if this is a part easy to get.....
post #3573 of 3593 Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

I have no idea, I tried to get speaker posts for my Helicons. They are kinda stingy about those. I don't think they stock a lot of the little stuff like that. But at least they can get it.

post #3574 of 3593 Old 08-04-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I meant cause you went from Excites to Contours, and skipped the Focus line. I think the Focus line is the best price/performance line you get with Dyn. But enough Dyn talk. I figured with the Mentor 6 price at $4499, the Rubicon 6 would be about $5300-5500, so to me, $6k is high, not crazy, but more then I would have expected. $3k is very low, considering that the Ikon 7s prices are in that range.
callas01: You forgot I had the Focus 110.... Nice speaker small but very nice sounding, I wanted a tad more bass. Now as far as the price, I am with you on the Rubicon line, I was expecting more for less and that is what you get but it's still high. I loved the Helicon line but they didn't seem to be as good on vocals as some of the other lines I heard when I was demoing a lot of different pairs. Ironically I liked the Ikons the best even over a pair of bookshelf Mentors I heard. I would love to see the Rubicons coming in at 3K-$3500 mark but wishful thinking.
post #3575 of 3593 Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post
What amp and pre/pro are you using right now? The room size is within the boundaries of the Epicon 6. It's a bit small for the Epicon 8's. The Epicon's are a substantial upgrade over the Rubicon's.
As for the Ikon's VS. the Epicon's, prepared to be shocked "with the right amp, etc."
I have the parasound like you do
post #3576 of 3593 Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

With that Parasound be prepared to be amazed. The synergy is wonderful. I don't know anyone at the shootout Friday night who was not "very happy " with the results.

Also heard the Epicon 2's in the front rather that doing surround duty. Very good speaker. My next voted best in class would be the Rubicon LCR's, they really did something nice with that one. I would buy the LCR over the Epicon 2 for surround duty.

post #3577 of 3593 Old 08-04-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Already did, just curious if this is a part easy to get.....
I ordered a new grill for a mentor speaker some years ago, it took abouth a month for DALI to deliver it. I was quite happy with the aftersales service.
post #3578 of 3593 Old 08-06-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

doorofnight: Thanks as they are sending me a new pair of grills. Just curious what is your thought on the Mentor 1/2 verses the Ikon 1 MKII or Ikon 2 MKII as they all seem to get very high remarks from WhatHiFi and other reviewers. I am tempted to go for the Ikon 2, the major differences to me seem like the cabinet and crossover slightly. But if you look at the specs they are dead on, and it seems unless your looking for the richer cabinet look they Mentors seem like they are priced quite a bit more than the Ikons.

http://www.dali-us.com/Default.aspx?ID=916&Compare=PROD20$LANG4,PROD19$LA NG4,PROD27$LANG4
post #3579 of 3593 Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
So what happened to the write-up on the Dali GTG?
I didn't see anything on the linked thread.
nguyensang likes this.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #3580 of 3593 Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

doorofnight: Best service ever! DHL truck delivered my speaker grill today, 3 days after I talked with Sound Organization, all the way from Denmark. Now I just need rubber feet for my Zensor 7s. Great speaker, great service..... Right now I have 4 speakers from Denmark Dail/Dynaudio, the USA coming in with the Maggie 1.7s and England with the KEF LS50s. The more I listen to the Dali's the more I am liking them. I might trade up to the Ikon 2, or Mentor 1.
post #3581 of 3593 Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
doorofnight: Thanks as they are sending me a new pair of grills. Just curious what is your thought on the Mentor 1/2 verses the Ikon 1 MKII or Ikon 2 MKII as they all seem to get very high remarks from WhatHiFi and other reviewers. I am tempted to go for the Ikon 2, the major differences to me seem like the cabinet and crossover slightly. But if you look at the specs they are dead on, and it seems unless your looking for the richer cabinet look they Mentors seem like they are priced quite a bit more than the Ikons.

http://www.dali-us.com/Default.aspx?ID=916&Compare=PROD20$LANG4,PROD19$LA NG4,PROD27$LANG4
I never really listened to the smaller Ikons and I have never heard the Mentor 1 (or maybe in a shop but this means nothing) If the Ikon 2 and Mentor 1 share the characteristics of their bigger brothers, then maybe this could make some sense:

- If you like a fun good sounding speaker worth the money then the Ikon 2 is good, if you want a more hifi sounding speaker, then the Mentor (1 or 2) should be the better choice. As far as I know the woofers and tweeter module for the Mentor line are especially made for Mentor.

- Your choice for the size of speakers could be room size dependent.

I wonder what it will be Have fun!

Last edited by doorofnight; 08-08-2014 at 02:27 AM.
post #3582 of 3593 Old 08-08-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

doorofnight: I am going to look at the two speakers you mentioned the Ikon 2s and the Mentor (1 or 2s) and make my decision base off of what I think. Originally he wanted me to get the Mentor 1s but I didn't see that much of an improvement over the Ikon with the exception of a better cabinet.
post #3583 of 3593 Old 08-16-2014, 03:32 AM

Quote:
doorofnight: I am going to look at the two speakers you mentioned the Ikon 2s and the Mentor (1 or 2s) and make my decision base off of what I think. Originally he wanted me to get the Mentor 1s but I didn't see that much of an improvement over the Ikon with the exception of a better cabinet.
Have you made a choice?

A german review about the E8's: they are really into the midrange but I guess it is only logical that a speaker with a dedicated midrange woofer performs better then a speaker without. At least, the E6 could not convince me here, nor in the lower bass regions. In a month or so I will be listening to the E8 myself. I am very very curious if the E8 is much an improvement to the H800mk2.

http://www.i-fidelity.net/testberich...s-seite-8.html

Last edited by doorofnight; 08-16-2014 at 03:43 AM.
post #3584 of 3593 Old 08-18-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

doorrofnight: Thanks for the review, debating on the Mentor 2 or Ikon 2, I like the Ikon 1 a lot, my main speakers are Dynaudio C2's so I got my HiFi speaker already I even have a pair of Magnepan 1.7 as well. So for now Fun sounds good, or I might opt for the Mentor. I would love the Rubicon and E8 but I have too many speakers right now.
post #3585 of 3593 Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
doorrofnight: Thanks for the review, debating on the Mentor 2 or Ikon 2, I like the Ikon 1 a lot, my main speakers are Dynaudio C2's so I got my HiFi speaker already I even have a pair of Magnepan 1.7 as well. So for now Fun sounds good, or I might opt for the Mentor. I would love the Rubicon and E8 but I have too many speakers right now.
You are welcome. I only have one pair, due to my small home. I would love to have more speakers, like you do. Magnepans are desirable also.

I have more reading material, due to a question I asked DALI, and Lars Worre explained some of the design principles behind DALI speakers. I believe it is very reasonable to hear that some of the DALI speakers are indeed great.

https://www.facebook.com/DALI.loudsp...tal_comments=3
post #3586 of 3593 Old 08-19-2014, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I've got a real conundrum here fellas. I've been following this thread for a while and have been a Dali fan since I first heard the lineup at CEDIA in 2008. I really liked the sound of the hybrid tweeters at the time.

Fast forward to today and I just bought a new house. I was excited to see how much the Rubicons would run and was hoping for the Rubicon 5's to be under $3k. With that said $5k is out of my budget. Honestly I was looking to stay under $1500 for a pair of compact floor standers. They have to be wife approved (white). So I'm stuck between the Zensor 5's or the Ikon 5 mkII. I like the fact that the Zensor's are completely white but I don't like that it's a vinyl wrap and I've always liked the sound of the ribbon tweeter/soft dome combo. I know I'll have to sneak a sub in somewhere at some point either way.

Opinions??? I've got a decent sized room 15x15 or so. They will be used for music only. Mostly vinyl but the occasional sacd. I might even throw in a high res digital player later on.

Let me also throw in the option of picking up the Zensor 7's as well. Although the room is a medium sized room it is part of an open floor plan and has 17' ceilings. Both seem to be fairly small so I think the 7's would work as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140819_200001.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	219882  

Last edited by randydandy; 08-19-2014 at 06:36 PM.
post #3587 of 3593 Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydandy View Post
Well, I've got a real conundrum here fellas. I've been following this thread for a while and have been a Dali fan since I first heard the lineup at CEDIA in 2008. I really liked the sound of the hybrid tweeters at the time.

(..)

Both seem to be fairly small so I think the 7's would work as well.

Beautiful room! Where are the speakers to be placed?
post #3588 of 3593 Old 08-23-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's getting there. We still have hardwood floors to put down which should also be interesting acoustically.

The speakers would sit just to the inside of the outside doors. They are actually immobile. The two inside function as doors. I'm a bit limited in this room because the foyer and the formal dining is right behind where I took the pic there is a hallway just to the left. That leaves really close to the fireplace and against the wall of doors (my current choice).

Last edited by randydandy; 08-23-2014 at 03:17 PM.
post #3589 of 3593 Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's getting there. We still have hardwood floors to put down which should also be interesting acoustically.

The speakers would sit just to the inside of the outside doors. They are actually immobile. The two inside function as doors. I'm a bit limited in this room because the foyer and the formal dining is right behind where I took the pic there is a hallway just to the left. That leaves really close to the fireplace and against the wall of doors (my current choice).
Well acoustically with all those windows their you might want to look at some acoustically treated blinds if you can find them. I was like you with the Rubicon's I was hoping they would come in under well under 5K for the floor standers, if not I sure hope their finishes is worth all that coin! That being said you can find a nice set of Mentors for a decent price and the Ikons have won many awards as well. The Ikon 1 and Ikon 2 or Mentor 2 in a Walnut finish would look good in your room! You might go for a nice bookshelf on a decent stand or a pair of Ikon 6 MKII. There is also Dynaudio, doesn't have the dual tweeter but they have very nice finishes and been around a while longer than Dali.

Dali Line:
Ikon series
Mentor Series

Dynaudio:
DM Series
Excite Series

PSB: Imagine series is excellent. Narrower but very good sounding speaker.
post #3590 of 3593 Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Randy, the hardwood floors should make things interesting as I found they can brighten things up some times too much. Acoustic treatments will be needed and the cool thing is now you can get them done with Artwork in mind on them, instead of the boring looking black/white/tan looking ones that make things look to generic for my taste.

On another Dali Note, just curious on any ones thoughts are on the Dali Ikon 1 MKII verses the Ikon 2 MKII and Mentor 2s, I currently have the Dali Ikon 1 MKII and was thinking going up to one of these as I like the size better and for better bass response. I know the Mentors have a better finish but from the specs they look pretty darn close to the Ikon 2.
post #3591 of 3593 Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 PM

Liked: 0
Hello,
I've just bought Mentor 2's after quite long auditioning session for different brands as well as after Ikon 2 MKII. For me Mentor 2's are more refined and smoother at the top end - sibilants are more laid back, not so forward like in Ikon 2's. Used with Marantz PM6004 amp. Before I had Dali Zensor 1's and this small monitors have one of the best tonal balance ever heard - yes, they may lack bass, but tonal balance for me is perfect, that's why it took me some time to find better speakers with similar, pleasant tonal balance.

I didn't choose Ikon's because for me they're too bright. Mentor 2's are less forward and they have lower bass (little). But, they are just brand new, put on my stands in the room and sound indeed little different than in the shop. I think they need quite long time of brake in to loose the magnet and get better response at the bottom end frequency range, am I right?

For the price I got 25% reduction buying Mentor 2's, so you can ask for something similar at your location as well.

--
Krzysztof Maj
http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/
"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Last edited by mkrzych; 08-27-2014 at 10:52 PM.
post #3592 of 3593 Old 08-28-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Quote:
Randy, the hardwood floors should make things interesting as I found they can brighten things up some times too much. Acoustic treatments will be needed and the cool thing is now you can get them done with Artwork in mind on them, instead of the boring looking black/white/tan looking ones that make things look to generic for my taste.
I have hardwood floors, I do have a thin area rug but it doesn't absorb anything. I would like to add a thick shag carpet to help the reflective surface(and I think it would look better). Of course I have put up acoustic panels and its helped tone things down some and decrease the echo in my room, I guess my advise would be not to have hardwood floors in a music room, certainly changes the acoustics and what you hear of the speaks in the showroom. But thats JMO.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #3593 of 3593 Old 09-01-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrzych View Post
Hello,
I've just bought Mentor 2's after quite long auditioning session for different brands as well as after Ikon 2 MKII. For me Mentor 2's are more refined and smoother at the top end - sibilants are more laid back, not so forward like in Ikon 2's. Used with Marantz PM6004 amp. Before I had Dali Zensor 1's and this small monitors have one of the best tonal balance ever heard - yes, they may lack bass, but tonal balance for me is perfect, that's why it took me some time to find better speakers with similar, pleasant tonal balance.

I didn't choose Ikon's because for me they're too bright. Mentor 2's are less forward and they have lower bass (little). But, they are just brand new, put on my stands in the room and sound indeed little different than in the shop. I think they need quite long time of brake in to loose the magnet and get better response at the bottom end frequency range, am I right?

For the price I got 25% reduction buying Mentor 2's, so you can ask for something similar at your location as well.

--
Krzysztof Maj
http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/
"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Thanks for the heads up the dealer has a demo pair left and I am tempted to go too the Mentor 2 but this is for a second room, just not sure if I want to go this route for an office. I am also looking at some Dynaudio as well, which I am very familiar with!

Last edited by Garman; Yesterday at 03:34 PM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dali Bookshelf Speaker , Dali Ikon Vokal 2 Mkii Center Channel Speaker , Dali

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page