Dali speakers - Page 124 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #3691 of 3697 Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM
Member
 
SadPanda83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Late in the reply but I have heard both and both were good, but it seems to me that the Rubicon is a better dressed up Ikon... The dual tweeter has it's purpose you with either love them or hate them.. I happen to like them, but have way too many speakers so if anyone is looking for a mint pair of Ikon 2 MKII in black PM me.
Hello Garman

Just wanted to know why you sold the Ikon 2 Mk2 and what you are using as replacement in your office?

I'm currently torn between the Ikon 1 Mk2 and Dynaudio Excite X14. I can get the Ikon 1 Mk2 for 540 EUR whereas the Excite X14 will cost 790 EUR. Quite a bit of difference in price. I'll predominately be using them as desktop speakers and pairing them with my Rega DAC. Just can't decide on which one to go for.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
SP83
SadPanda83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3692 of 3697 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,314
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadPanda83 View Post
Hello Garman

Just wanted to know why you sold the Ikon 2 Mk2 and what you are using as replacement in your office?

I'm currently torn between the Ikon 1 Mk2 and Dynaudio Excite X14. I can get the Ikon 1 Mk2 for 540 EUR whereas the Excite X14 will cost 790 EUR. Quite a bit of difference in price. I'll predominately be using them as desktop speakers and pairing them with my Rega DAC. Just can't decide on which one to go for.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
SP83
Both are great speakers, I just heard the X14A at the Axpona show and they where very nice on a pair of special stands. If your using them more for near field speakers you might look at the X14A which is an new powered unit by Dynaudio, but the X14 might work better closer up. I had the Ikon 1 MKII and loved it, but I traded up but Ikon 2 and liked it as well, but I didn't realize on how much taller it was, so I sold it and ended up using a pair of LS50 KEFs. You can't go wrong with any of the speakers mentioned.
Garman is online now  
post #3693 of 3697 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Member
 
SadPanda83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Both are great speakers, I just heard the X14A at the Axpona show and they where very nice on a pair of special stands. If your using them more for near field speakers you might look at the X14A which is an new powered unit by Dynaudio, but the X14 might work better closer up. I had the Ikon 1 MKII and loved it, but I traded up but Ikon 2 and liked it as well, but I didn't realize on how much taller it was, so I sold it and ended up using a pair of LS50 KEFs. You can't go wrong with any of the speakers mentioned.
Hello Garman

Thanks very much for the reply.

I actually had been eyeing active speakers and in particular the X14A. That was until I released it would not work for me since my Rega Dac has no volume control, it is not a pre-amp. Also, there is no straight forward way to get a subwoofer connected. I just wish more manufacturers would include a sub out and volume control for their active speakers, such as the Dali Kubik.

I also ruled out the Ikon 2 due to the size of the cabinet. In terms of overall size the X14 and Ikon 1 Mk2 are perfect for my desk. The LS50 could actually work too.

Would you mind giving a quick comparison between the Ikon1 Mk2 (from memory) and the LS50? While I have demoed the LS50 I cannot find the Ikon 1 Mk2 nearby in store to demo unfortunately. I loved the clarity and separation of the LS50 but felt it lacked weight and punch (not an amp issue, driven by Elicit-R). Would the Ikon 1 Mk2 be the best of both here, clarity and separation with the weight and power to match? I read the Mk2 is tuned for better bass performance compared with the MK1. Also, what is the midrange like on the Ikon 1? Much has been written regarding the treble and separation performance but what about the midrange and vocals?

Many thanks!
SadPanda

Last edited by SadPanda83; Yesterday at 11:35 AM.
SadPanda83 is offline  
post #3694 of 3697 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,314
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 144
The KEF are regarded as one of the best speakers to buy for under 2K, a lot of people at the show said they had a pair. I say all of them are great, but doing a shoot out at a local dealer where they had the KEF and Ikon 1 MKII the KEF came out slightly better in the bass area. The duel tweeters gives a slight edge Dali Ikon in regards to the highs the KEF is known for having a liquid cool mid-range and great vocals. If your listening up close you might consider a true Near Field monitor as well.
Garman is online now  
post #3695 of 3697 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Member
 
doorofnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My Helicon 800mk2's are taking a rest.



Instead Euphonia MS4 combined with two sealed SUBS, and the Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 with RoomCorrection (DSP) are making music. In my room, this smaller LS gives better imaging and better focus. Wonderful speakers, these MS4. I have listened to the Epicon 6 also, several times.. but I like the MS4 more. Also cheaper

Garman likes this.
doorofnight is offline  
post #3696 of 3697 Old Today, 01:45 AM
Member
 
SadPanda83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
The KEF are regarded as one of the best speakers to buy for under 2K, a lot of people at the show said they had a pair. I say all of them are great, but doing a shoot out at a local dealer where they had the KEF and Ikon 1 MKII the KEF came out slightly better in the bass area. The duel tweeters gives a slight edge Dali Ikon in regards to the highs the KEF is known for having a liquid cool mid-range and great vocals. If your listening up close you might consider a true Near Field monitor as well.
Thanks. I think I'll go for the IKon1 Mk2 for half the price of the LS50. I was not too impressed with the LS50 during my demo considering the price. The Rubicon 2 was great however.
SadPanda83 is offline  
post #3697 of 3697 Unread Today, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 5,314
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadPanda83 View Post
Thanks. I think I'll go for the IKon1 Mk2 for half the price of the LS50. I was not too impressed with the LS50 during my demo considering the price. The Rubicon 2 was great however.
Well depending on what Amp you have the LS50 sound much better on a beefier Amp, the Ikon 1 MKII can sound just about as good on anything. We demoed the LS50/Ikon 2 Rubicon 2 and a few others at a high end dealer not too far from me and 5 of us liked the LS50 the best. The Ikon 1 MKI they were out of stock on. I would have kept my Ikon 2 MKII if it wasn't for them being too tall, so I bought a very good used pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII to replace them as they fit in my office room much better.

The Dali Zensor line is pretty darn good as well for the money, I use a pair of Zensor 7 up in the living room, mostly because I didn't want to fork out a lot of money where my kids usually watch TV. The first picture is the Ikon 1 MKII, I would say I like these almost as much as the KEFs and I wish I wouldn't have sold them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	702370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	702378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	702386   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	702394  
Garman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dali Bookshelf Speaker , Dali Ikon Vokal 2 Mkii Center Channel Speaker , Dali

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off