Dali speakers - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #3721 of 3739 Old 06-23-2015, 11:44 AM
NV1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post
I love my Epicon 2s with an SVS Ultra 13 sub--fills a fairly large space with glorious, detailed, and life-like music.

I'm selling my DALI Epicon Vokal--PM for details. (I went back to stereo, so I have no need for the center speaker.)
How do you incorporate your sub? Does the Pass Labs integrated have a crossover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3739 Old 06-23-2015, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NV1 View Post
How do you incorporate your sub? Does the Pass Labs integrated have a crossover?
No. I run the PL's preamp out to the SVS, which has built-in crossovers and filters. SVS' website has a program that has suggested settings based on the main speakers and sub one owns.
NV1 likes this.

DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Pass Labs INT-150 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #3723 of 3739 Old 06-24-2015, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dali Mentor And Rubicon

Some years ago I listened to Dali speakers at a dealer and left with what could afford at the time...one Dali Mentor LCR. Well kids and priorities and years later here I am with one lonely Mentor LCR. With the mentor line discontinued, and a serious lack of dealers I am stuck with not really knowing what to do. I do have some budgetary constraints and my room is about 12x15...so not very big. I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on how to proceed..be on the lookout for the mentor series or move towards the Rubicon line.

How Do the mentor 2s and 5 compare and how well do they match up to the Mentor LCR?

How do the Rubicons compare to the Mentor Series? I am really curious how the Mentor 2 compares to the Rubicon 2.

Would the Rubicon LCR match well with the Mentor LCR I am currently using as center.
post #3724 of 3739 Old 06-24-2015, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a pair of Rubicon 2's on hand at the moment.

What I've noticed thus far (not fully broken in just yet) is they image insanely well.

They have decent bass weight, though not earth shattering, but that is pretty standard for stand mount speaker.

The finish is excellent too, one of the better finishes I've seen at this price point.
post #3725 of 3739 Old 06-25-2015, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Epicon 6 bass

I can't respond to PMs yet, as I need a few more posts....

Someone asked me in PM that they would like a bit more bass with their Epicon 6, as I would before I added a sub recently, and what my experiences were.
Thought it was a good idea to share it here also.

The difference a sub added to my system was excellent and really worth it.
Perhaps my room is just killing the bass.
Speakers placement is important of course, but I changed it as much as I could.

I got a good deal on a used Paradigm sub 1 I couldn't refuse, and its giving me most I was missing (huge positive difference)
Superb for movies also of course.

I made a longer post in the speaker forum and got loads of good advice, I'm also messing with a Dirac EQ box I got.
It seems to remove some midbass, which I think is the boomy part.
I am going to mess more with that, it seems like a change that I miss when I turn it off more than a instant upgrade.
The next goal for me is trying to beef up the midrange (drums etc) and add acoustic treatments.

Also thinking about going for Epicon 8's....if anyone heard both the Epicon 6 and 8 and could chime in on differences I would be happy.
The general info I have found seem to suggest its "more of everything".
...I am greedy
post #3726 of 3739 Old 06-28-2015, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Dali Grands in piano black were nice sounding speakers
post #3727 of 3739 Old 06-28-2015, 06:25 PM

Dali Grands in Piano black.
Here's the link. Just scroll down to see the pics of them.
http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25907
post #3728 of 3739 Old 06-28-2015, 06:26 PM

Dali Grands in White. These look good.
http://www.hifigalleri.dk/galleri/80...enon_dvd_1930_
post #3729 of 3739 Old 07-07-2015, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadPanda83 View Post
Thanks. I think I'll go for the IKon1 Mk2 for half the price of the LS50. I was not too impressed with the LS50 during my demo considering the price. The Rubicon 2 was great however.
I'm upgrading my HT room, and had decided to get a set-up around the Ikon 6 mk2. However I heard some rumors of the mk3 being launched during summer. Has anyone heard of that? Or tried any demo of them already? I'm wondering if I should wait a few weeks before making the purchase.
post #3730 of 3739 Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 PM

My understanding is that they are being replaced by an entirely new series and won't be going by the Ikon name any more. Nothing has been officially launched at this stage though.
post #3731 of 3739 Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 170
That will be interesting. Can't wait to see why they do!

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #3732 of 3739 Old 07-07-2015, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
DALI is world class.. Its a Danish company from a very small town close to where I grew up... They make low cost and very high end.. you cannot go wrong with them!!Really fantastic products..
post #3733 of 3739 Old 07-08-2015, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarxman82 View Post
My understanding is that they are being replaced by an entirely new series and won't be going by the Ikon name any more. Nothing has been officially launched at this stage though.
Seems like you're right. The future Ikon will be named Opticon, the announcement is out today on Dali's website.
tarxman82 likes this.
post #3734 of 3739 Old 07-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I owe the folks in the forum a review of my new Dali Rubicon 8's. I have been away for a while in my pursuit of better sound my wife and I decided to lighten the room up by moving away from big and bulky furniture but in doing so we made our room an echo chamber. The Dali's or any speaker for that matter did not stand a chance.

I reached out to a company by the name of GIK Acoustics. Long story short Bryan at GIK was a great help and I sent off a video of my room and some photos with all of my room dimensions. Bryan helped me design and suggest product to dampen the room and treat reflection points with both absorbing and defusing.

The Rubicons at least stand a chance in my room and I find them to be very open and airy and really nice extension on the bottom end. The treble is not very forgiving on poorly recorded material and can sound harsh from time to time so I thing I still have some work to do treating my room. But I am happy to say the Rubicon 8's took my room several leaps forward over my Dynaudio Contours. That is saying allot as I think the Contour series in the Dyn line are very good speaker in their own right.

Still some tweaking to do but I am in a much better place then I was a month ago when I shed some man tears on how anemic my system sound prior to treating my room.

For those suffering from poor room acoustics I would give Bryan at GIK a call. They are very helpful and will get your room tuned to give your Dali's be the star.
post #3735 of 3739 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

Some info on the new line can be found at http://heimkino-partner24.com/blog/d...dali-ikon-mk2/
In German, but can easily be automatically translated. I'm looking forward to listen to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3736 of 3739 Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
I can't respond to PMs yet, as I need a few more posts....

Someone asked me in PM that they would like a bit more bass with their Epicon 6, as I would before I added a sub recently, and what my experiences were.
Thought it was a good idea to share it here also.

The difference a sub added to my system was excellent and really worth it.
Perhaps my room is just killing the bass.
Speakers placement is important of course, but I changed it as much as I could.

I got a good deal on a used Paradigm sub 1 I couldn't refuse, and its giving me most I was missing (huge positive difference)
Superb for movies also of course.

I made a longer post in the speaker forum and got loads of good advice, I'm also messing with a Dirac EQ box I got.
It seems to remove some midbass, which I think is the boomy part.
I am going to mess more with that, it seems like a change that I miss when I turn it off more than a instant upgrade.
The next goal for me is trying to beef up the midrange (drums etc) and add acoustic treatments.

Also thinking about going for Epicon 8's....if anyone heard both the Epicon 6 and 8 and could chime in on differences I would be happy.
The general info I have found seem to suggest its "more of everything".
...I am greedy
Those big Dali's (for the Epicon 8, Rubicon 8, Mentor 8, Euphonia MS5 etc) need at least 3 meters between them and at least 1 meter from side wall to speakers.. THese Dali's need those distances because of the time allignment between the units in one speaker.. You need to sit at least 3 meters away from the speaker, so the LS need to be at least 3 meters apart from each other! Also read the Helicon 800mk2 about this subject. If you do not, you will not hear the LS dissapear, nor the depth and wide sounding imaging they are capable of.

And then, still, it is very difficult to have a good sounding bass with a nice smooth SPL. In most rooms you'll need DSP anyway.

Do not be greedy for bigger speakers unless you have a very big room. Choose smaller onces (with a dedicated woofer for midtones, like the Epicon 6, the Helicon 400mk2 or the Euphonia MS4) with 2 subs and a DSP. Not for more bass, but for better sounding bass. But if you have a big room, buy f.e. the H800mk2 and 2 subs. You'll be in audioheaven.

Furthermore, I cannot agree more about absorption in your room.

Last edited by doorofnight; Yesterday at 02:48 PM.
post #3737 of 3739 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorofnight View Post
Those big Dali's (for the Epicon 8, Rubicon 8, Mentor 8, Euphonia MS5 etc) need at least 3 meters between them and at least 1 meter from side wall to speakers.. THese Dali's need those distances because of the time allignment between the units in one speaker.. You need to sit at least 3 meters away from the speaker, so the LS need to be at least 3 meters apart from each other! Also read the Helicon 800mk2 about this subject. If you do not, you will not hear the LS dissapear, nor the depth and wide sounding imaging they are capable of.

And then, still, it is very difficult to have a good sounding bass with a nice smooth SPL. In most rooms you'll need DSP anyway.

Do not be greedy for bigger speakers unless you have a very big room. Choose smaller onces (with a dedicated woofer for midtones, like the Epicon 6, the Helicon 400mk2 or the Euphonia MS4) with 2 subs and a DSP. Not for more bass, but for better sounding bass. But if you have a big room, buy f.e. the H800mk2 and 2 subs. You'll be in audioheaven.

Furthermore, I cannot agree more about absorption in your room.
I have to disagree a bit here, but taste and preference is very much personal.

I left the Dali ship, even though I liked my Epicons, I was always missing something.
I auditioned the 8's in a room at the dealer, which was a copy of my own in size and speaker placement.
The difference between the 6 and 8 is really small in my ears. I really wanted them to blow me away, cause I love the Walnut high gloss.
Sadly they didnt.

After auditioning a lot of speakers, I ended up buying the new Focal Sopra no 2's (same size/weight as Epicon 8) and in MY opinion they are in another league altogether. There is no comparison.
Distanced on the "long side" in my room aprox. 2,5 meters apart they image like crazy (a bit like the ML Motions I listened to) but have all the dynamics I could ever dream off.
There is also all the tight and full bass I felt I was missing. The subwoofer is not in play for stereo anymore, even though the rated specs are somewhat the same from Epicon -> Sopras.
I don't want to use DSP either for Stereo, I don't need it.

The Epicon 6's are a great speaker in the range and have a lot of great qualities, but one should carefully audition them.
Ofcourse this can be said with any speaker.
The price jump to the 8's are not worth it to me.

All of this is my personal opinion and nothing else. YMMW and all that.
post #3738 of 3739 Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
I have to disagree a bit here, but taste and preference is very much personal.

I left the Dali ship, even though I liked my Epicons, I was always missing something.
I auditioned the 8's in a room at the dealer, which was a copy of my own in size and speaker placement.
The difference between the 6 and 8 is really small in my ears. I really wanted them to blow me away, cause I love the Walnut high gloss.
Sadly they didnt.

After auditioning a lot of speakers, I ended up buying the new Focal Sopra no 2's (same size/weight as Epicon 8) and in MY opinion they are in another league altogether. There is no comparison.
Distanced on the "long side" in my room aprox. 2,5 meters apart they image like crazy (a bit like the ML Motions I listened to) but have all the dynamics I could ever dream off.
There is also all the tight and full bass I felt I was missing. The subwoofer is not in play for stereo anymore, even though the rated specs are somewhat the same from Epicon -> Sopras.
I don't want to use DSP either for Stereo, I don't need it.

The Epicon 6's are a great speaker in the range and have a lot of great qualities, but one should carefully audition them.
Ofcourse this can be said with any speaker.
The price jump to the 8's are not worth it to me.

All of this is my personal opinion and nothing else. YMMW and all that.
So many people, so many ears I do not see where you disagree with me? I didn't say anything about the Focals because I have not heard the Focal Sopra 2, but in my opinion, you can only say something about the quality of the sound of the speaker in the room you're listening in. It's the "magic" combination. Well not magic, its more science because there are some basic rules. I might disagree about the different league. In your room, the focals might sound much better then the E6.. Then the sound is another league!

About the Epicons. They are excellent speakers. The E6 is an excellent imaging LS (in the rooms that i've been listening) and they sound pure, direct, and somehow 3D (but I like the Euphonia MS4 more). If you do not like a direct sounding LS then the Dali upper lines are not your cup of tea. I have heard some Focals and they didn't sound very direct. So I didn't like them. Matter of taste, but definitaly not a matter of another league.

Last edited by doorofnight; Today at 12:41 AM.
post #3739 of 3739 Old Today, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorofnight View Post
So many people, so many ears I do not see where you disagree with me? I didn't say anything about the Focals because I have not heard the Focal Sopra 2, but in my opinion, you can only say something about the quality of the sound of the speaker in the room you're listening in. It's the "magic" combination. Well not magic, its more science because there are some basic rules. I might disagree about the different league. In your room, the focals might sound much better then the E6.. Then the sound is another league!

About the Epicons. They are excellent speakers. The E6 is an excellent imaging LS (in the rooms that i've been listening) and they sound pure, direct, and somehow 3D (but I like the Euphonia MS4 more). If you do not like a direct sounding LS then the Dali upper lines are not your cup of tea. I have heard some Focals and they didn't sound very direct. So I didn't like them. Matter of taste, but definitaly not a matter of another league.
The conclusion is that preference is personal indeed, and the Epicons are a great speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dali Bookshelf Speaker , Dali Ikon Vokal 2 Mkii Center Channel Speaker , Dali