Dali speakers - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #3811 of 3831 Old 01-24-2016, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Those are nice speakers at their price point. Is this strictly 2-Chaucer music? What is your source? Budget? Will video be involved?
I will use pen drive.. Laptop.. Led tv.. To play speakers and yes I"ll be watching movies as well.. My budget is around $1000 for speakers and $700 for amp

Last edited by nittr; 01-24-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3831 Old 01-24-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittr View Post
I will use pen drive.. Laptop.. Led tv.. To play speakers and yes I"ll be watching movies as well.. My budget is around $1000 for speakers and $700 for amp
Then probably look at a Marantz 5009/5010 AVR.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #3813 of 3831 Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, I do know opticon is still very new.

Was wondering any opinion on how good/bad the opticon 6 vs ikon 7 mark 2?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3814 of 3831 Old 03-05-2016, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dali Rubicon LCRs

Thought I'd jump in to this. I recently added two pairs of Rubicon LCRs as my surrounds and as wides. (Thank you Steve H. at Sound Video). For the wide speakers, to get them placed over a chair back but not too high, I had to rotate the LCRs horizontally (of course, I also rotated the tweeter assembly). I built custom stands for all 4 speakers.

These are amazing speakers, especially for a small room where the speaker locations are close to the seating. The LCR, being a relatively shallow cabinet, allows for the speaker drivers to be situated several inches further away, which in my setting makes a huge difference.

These are very wide dispersion speakers. They are also VERY good. I'm used to excellent main speakers (ZU Definition MK 1) and I have to say that these Rubicons are faster, with a very punchy leading edge to percussive sounds (both musical instruments and things like a verbal "p") and I would say they also offer a more crystalline top end. I noticed the differences within seconds of firing them up for the first time. Frankly, music is more fun than it has been in a long time... Which is the point to this...

All this leaves me torn about what to do with my ZU Definitions. I can upgrade them with new drivers, new internal wiring, added bracing inside the cabinet, new damping material, new subwoofer amplifiers, and some other niceties, or I can just get a set of Rubicon (or possibly Epicon) towers. Decisions...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wide Left Rubicon LCR.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1294969  

Marantz AV8802A, Proceed CDP, Cary CAD-572 SE mono-blocks (modified to run 300b tubes) running ZU Definition MK 1 mains, Symphonic Line RG1 MK 2 running Dali Rubicon LCRs as surrounds, Parasound HCA 1206 running Dali Rubicon LCRs as wides, a Pinnacle center, and two small Pinnacle bookshelf speakers set as height speakers. Two SVS SB13 Ultras. Samsung JS9000 65".
post #3815 of 3831 Old 03-16-2016, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronreddy View Post
Thought I'd jump in to this. I recently added two pairs of Rubicon LCRs as my surrounds and as wides. (Thank you Steve H. at Sound Video). For the wide speakers, to get them placed over a chair back but not too high, I had to rotate the LCRs horizontally (of course, I also rotated the tweeter assembly). I built custom stands for all 4 speakers.

These are amazing speakers, especially for a small room where the speaker locations are close to the seating. The LCR, being a relatively shallow cabinet, allows for the speaker drivers to be situated several inches further away, which in my setting makes a huge difference.

These are very wide dispersion speakers. They are also VERY good. I'm used to excellent main speakers (ZU Definition MK 1) and I have to say that these Rubicons are faster, with a very punchy leading edge to percussive sounds (both musical instruments and things like a verbal "p") and I would say they also offer a more crystalline top end. I noticed the differences within seconds of firing them up for the first time. Frankly, music is more fun than it has been in a long time... Which is the point to this...

All this leaves me torn about what to do with my ZU Definitions. I can upgrade them with new drivers, new internal wiring, added bracing inside the cabinet, new damping material, new subwoofer amplifiers, and some other niceties, or I can just get a set of Rubicon (or possibly Epicon) towers. Decisions...
I just bought Dali Opticon 2's yesterday. I got them home took a nap and when I woke up I wasn't totally sure if I wanted them or not. Lol
So I'm sitting down looking at them right now and I gotta tell you I'm seriously thinking about upgrading them before I even take them out of the box.
Just how much of an upgrade would it be by going to a Rubicon 2's? I understand that the Rubicon 2's are out of this world but I need advice in a layman's language.
I listen to 40% rock, 20% Jazz and Classical, 30% 70's and 80's music and 10% dubstep. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #3816 of 3831 Old 03-16-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker11788 View Post
I just bought Dali Opticon 2's yesterday. I got them home took a nap and when I woke up I wasn't totally sure if I wanted them or not. Lol
So I'm sitting down looking at them right now and I gotta tell you I'm seriously thinking about upgrading them before I even take them out of the box.
Just how much of an upgrade would it be by going to a Rubicon 2's? I understand that the Rubicon 2's are out of this world but I need advice in a layman's language.
I listen to 40% rock, 20% Jazz and Classical, 30% 70's and 80's music and 10% dubstep. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi Poker,

Well, I haven't listened to anything in the Opticon series, though I have been looking seriously at the Opticon LCR or the smaller 1s as height speakers. Steve Herrala is probably the guy to talk to about the differences (and a great source for a fair price). He has made three recommendations to me and is batting 1000. I'm trying to say I have learned to trust him.

If these are your main L and R speakers, then I'd say get the Rubicons. Obviously, I'm impressed as heck with my LCRs, and Steve tells me that I'd probably be REALLY happy replacing my ZUs with Rubicon 6s.

There is also the matter of the cabinet composition. The Opticon series is wrapped in vinyl, except for the white. I haven't seen them in person, but I don't think that would make me happy for a speaker sitting out in view. But, then, I do woodworking on the side, so perhaps I'm a wood snob. Dali sure does make pretty Rubicons and they are impeccably constructed and finished. The Opticons are also made in house so I'm possibly way off on my concern about looks.

On the type of music you listen to, I'd say it doesn't matter much. Can't imagine it would be important in the decision between these two speaker lines. But, again, Steve would have a better handle on this.

Does that help? I'm happy to assist in any way I can!

Marantz AV8802A, Proceed CDP, Cary CAD-572 SE mono-blocks (modified to run 300b tubes) running ZU Definition MK 1 mains, Symphonic Line RG1 MK 2 running Dali Rubicon LCRs as surrounds, Parasound HCA 1206 running Dali Rubicon LCRs as wides, a Pinnacle center, and two small Pinnacle bookshelf speakers set as height speakers. Two SVS SB13 Ultras. Samsung JS9000 65".

Last edited by cameronreddy; 03-16-2016 at 09:53 PM.
post #3817 of 3831 Old 03-17-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronreddy View Post
Hi Poker,

Well, I haven't listened to anything in the Opticon series, though I have been looking seriously at the Opticon LCR or the smaller 1s as height speakers. Steve Herrala is probably the guy to talk to about the differences (and a great source for a fair price). He has made three recommendations to me and is batting 1000. I'm trying to say I have learned to trust him.

If these are your main L and R speakers, then I'd say get the Rubicons. Obviously, I'm impressed as heck with my LCRs, and Steve tells me that I'd probably be REALLY happy replacing my ZUs with Rubicon 6s.

There is also the matter of the cabinet composition. The Opticon series is wrapped in vinyl, except for the white. I haven't seen them in person, but I don't think that would make me happy for a speaker sitting out in view. But, then, I do woodworking on the side, so perhaps I'm a wood snob. Dali sure does make pretty Rubicons and they are impeccably constructed and finished. The Opticons are also made in house so I'm possibly way off on my concern about looks.

On the type of music you listen to, I'd say it doesn't matter much. Can't imagine it would be important in the decision between these two speaker lines. But, again, Steve would have a better handle on this.

Does that help? I'm happy to assist in any way I can!
Thanks Cameron Anyone know a Dr. Mark? I was told to ask him this question by another forum member. Are Dr. Mark or Steve Herrala on this forum or thread from time to time? I'd appreciate the advice about upgrading. I just don't wan't to throw $1,500 away if the Opticon 2's and Rubicon 2's sound very similar to each other. Thanks Guys
post #3818 of 3831 Old 03-17-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Thanks Cameron Anyone know a Dr. Mark? I was told to ask him this question by another forum member. Are Dr. Mark or Steve Herrala on this forum or thread from time to time? I'd appreciate the advice about upgrading. I just don't wan't to throw $1,500 away if the Opticon 2's and Rubicon 2's sound very similar to each other. Thanks Guys
cameronreddy emailed me that someone had a question. Oh... Dr. Mark is a customer of mine here in MN and he has heard a lot of the DALI line in his home (from my demo gear that I dragged over his place).

I'm staring at a pair of Rubicon 2's in my office as we speak. I LOVE them. BUT, every speaker has its limitation. There are a lot of variables. Room size, equipment synergy (to a lesser degree), room acoustics, and subjective preferences.

Can you share a picture and some measurements?
post #3819 of 3831 Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
cameronreddy emailed me that someone had a question. Oh... Dr. Mark is a customer of mine here in MN and he has heard a lot of the DALI line in his home (from my demo gear that I dragged over his place).

I'm staring at a pair of Rubicon 2's in my office as we speak. I LOVE them. BUT, every speaker has its limitation. There are a lot of variables. Room size, equipment synergy (to a lesser degree), room acoustics, and subjective preferences.

Can you share a picture and some measurements?
Good Morning Steve

My room is 12 X 12 is has no treatments or anything for that matter. It is a very old rental house and I only have a very small portion of the room for stereo gear.
I've included some pic's of the room, I've taken all 4 walls and you can pretty much see it's content as well. The setup will be changing soon, I'm getting rid of the black cabinet and replacing it with an audio cabinet that's only 20" across and 45" high. So it's about half the size of the current cabinet. My set up consists of a Parasound Halo Integrated Amp, NAD CD 546BEE, NAD C 427 Tuner, a VPI Scout JR TT and a HSU VTF-MK2 Sub. All the gear has to remain on the wall it's on. I was thinking of putting the speakers on stands and the sub next to the one on the left side.

I just wanna know based on my music tastes and amount of sound quality over the Opticons 2's that I can say that this upgrade would be worth another $1,500.
I really appreciate your time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2470.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1320225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2473.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1320233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2471.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1320241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2472.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1320249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2466.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1320257  

Name:	IMG_2467.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1320265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2465.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1320273  
post #3820 of 3831 Old 03-17-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 848
I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. In a perfect world, the goal of the speakers are to be at ear level. They are also way too close together. If you want them to sound even better, they appreciate being a little farther away from the wall. Putting it another way, you are compromising a lot of the sound quality by this less than ideal placement.

So YES, stands (ear level) wider apart will sound MUCH better. If I was you, I'd be looking at rearranging the room. Sanus makes some Ultimate series stands that are cheap and exception. Then and only then (placement modification) would I be talking about spending more money. I'm completely understand why you are not delighted with the sound quality. With the "ultrawide" DALI dispersion, you personally don't have a stereo image. Actually, a mono speaker versus your placement could sound better.

Call me if you would like a hand in figuring out a much better layout solution. Only then would I contemplate spending more $$'s.
post #3821 of 3831 Old 03-17-2016, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

To satisfy my curiosity, in a perfect world, what would be the differences one would see?
post #3822 of 3831 Old 03-25-2016, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi Dali lovers,
Planning to have BS speakers from Dali, primary usage will be for music and occassionly for movies, would like to have suggestions from which line of Dali would be more musical, Zensor or Opticon, will be using vintage(technic\sansui) amplifier to power them up.

Currenly using tower speakers from Scansonic.

Regards,
Murgesh J
post #3823 of 3831 Old 03-25-2016, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody50 View Post
Hi Dali lovers,
Planning to have BS speakers from Dali, primary usage will be for music and occassionly for movies, would like to have suggestions from which line of Dali would be more musical, Zensor or Opticon, will be using vintage(technic\sansui) amplifier to power them up.

Currenly using tower speakers from Scansonic.

Regards,
Murgesh J
BS as in "bullsh!t"?

Are these gonna replace the scansonics 2.5s?

My personal suggestion would be get into the opticon line, something like the opticon 6
post #3824 of 3831 Old 03-25-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Boomy bass

Thanks for responding, BS= Book shelf.

Yes Dali should be replacing scansonic MB2.5, since the bass is too much to handle in my current home and there is mid frequency congestion, dealer recommend me to change the amplifier to suit to MB 2.5 and which will be an additional cost for which I might not ready now.

Can Dali Tower owners suggest what is there experience with the bass in non treated set-up?

Previously owned Totem, regret selling it and now got interested in Dali, I heard the Epico tower and it had all the details what I was looking for.
post #3825 of 3831 Old 03-25-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I use a pair of Dali concept 1s in my bedroom. I do bring them downstairs sometimes. I really enjoy them for $299 speakers, way better then my Paradigm Atoms. Had considered the Ikon2 a while back before I bought Dynaudio X16s. The ikon 2s felt a little bright at times, but didn't have the same bright feeling with the ikon6 or 7... Not sure why. More mid/bass perhaps? I've been considering a second high end setup and based on my experience with my concepts id consider the options 2s or the Totem Rainmakers and compare them to the Dyn excites again! For my main setup I have Dyn focus 260s and dont see those being changed anytime soon.
post #3826 of 3831 Old 03-31-2016, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Good Morning Steve

My room is 12 X 12 is has no treatments or anything for that matter. It is a very old rental house and I only have a very small portion of the room for stereo gear.
I've included some pic's of the room, I've taken all 4 walls and you can pretty much see it's content as well. The setup will be changing soon, I'm getting rid of the black cabinet and replacing it with an audio cabinet that's only 20" across and 45" high. So it's about half the size of the current cabinet. My set up consists of a Parasound Halo Integrated Amp, NAD CD 546BEE, NAD C 427 Tuner, a VPI Scout JR TT and a HSU VTF-MK2 Sub. All the gear has to remain on the wall it's on. I was thinking of putting the speakers on stands and the sub next to the one on the left side.

I just wanna know based on my music tastes and amount of sound quality over the Opticons 2's that I can say that this upgrade would be worth another $1,500.
I really appreciate your time.
Steve H in his advise that no matter which way you go upgrade path wise the best thing you can do to improve your listening experience is to get your speakers at ear level and get them further apart. I was able to demo a pair of Rubicon 2's in my home and after a break in period they are simply amazing speakers. I love them but will say the IMHO Dali as a line rock is not its strong suit. I way this as a left handed compliment to Dali that the thing they do well is bringing out all the little subtle details in the recording that is not always needed in the rock realm. But throw on a good Diana Krall recording and you will know where the extra dollars were spend. I have the same placement constraints as you do, I wish my Rubicon's were further apart as mine are only about 4 feet apart and I wish they were double that but I simply can't do that in my room.

I love my Rubicon 2's they are amazing little speakers...
post #3827 of 3831 Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear speaker enthousiasts,

I've a question. Is it possible to use a pair of "Dali opticon 6" speakers on my "Marantz SR6007". Also possible to bi-wire?

Dali's are 4 ohm.
My 7.1 amp recommands 8ohm or 6ohm.

Already ordered them in a store and the vendor told me that bi-wiring was no problem.
I will use my equipment for a 5.1 theater.

I found out later when I left the store that the Dali's were 4 ohm

Thankz very much
post #3828 of 3831 Old 04-06-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2100 View Post
Dear speaker enthousiasts,

I've a question. Is it possible to use a pair of "Dali opticon 6" speakers on my "Marantz SR6007". Also possible to bi-wire?

Dali's are 4 ohm.
My 7.1 amp recommands 8ohm or 6ohm.

Already ordered them in a store and the vendor told me that bi-wiring was no problem.
I will use my equipment for a 5.1 theater.

I found out later when I left the store that the Dali's were 4 ohm

Thanks very much

I’m not an expert on power requirements, but I’d be stunned if the 6007 is incapable of driving those speakers.

Bi-wiring is not an issue. But, do you mean that you are going to bi-amp them? The latter—I’d think would take care of any lack of power concerns. The former—even Dali acknowledges offers no benefit.
spike2100 likes this.

Last edited by cameronreddy; 04-06-2016 at 01:02 PM.
post #3829 of 3831 Old 04-06-2016, 10:29 PM

Yes you are right, I ment Bi-amp. The vendor told me it was no problem to bi-amp the speakers on my Marantz.

I don't know what to do.

Single-amp?
Bi-amp?
Cancel my order and buy 6-8ohm speakers?

thanks very much
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bi-amp.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	1363410  
post #3830 of 3831 Old 04-06-2016, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2100 View Post
Yes you are right, I ment Bi-amp. The vendor told me it was no problem to bi-amp the speakers on my Marantz.

I don't know what to do.

Single-amp?
Bi-amp?
Cancel my order and buy 6-8ohm speakers?

thanks very much
The amp will do fine! I have 2 friends power Dynaudio DM3/7s which are 4 ohm speakers, one uses the same amp you have and the other a lesser receiver.

Single amp, biamping has no benefits
spike2100 likes this.
post #3831 of 3831 Old 04-07-2016, 03:15 AM

Thxz for the answers. Just got a call from the shop. Receiver should handle them fine.

Can't wait tot test them at home. Went to the shop for B&W 683 S2 and after 3 hours of listening I ordered these Dali Opticon 6

Grtz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dali Bookshelf Speaker , Dali Ikon Vokal 2 Mkii Center Channel Speaker , Dali

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page