Dali speakers - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 64Likes
post #3871 of 3895 Old 09-14-2016, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I've upgraded (too much) gear for some years now, pretty high end stuff too, only to end up only concentrating on speaker placement and even more room treatments.

A budget would help if you want some gear recommendations though.
doorofnight likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3895 Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Can anyone tell me if the Epicon 6's are a significant step up from the Epicon 2's? I'm thinking of going 6's at the front end and keeping my 2's as rears.

I'm not sure if the 6's will be overkill in my size of room, my room measures 6 metres by 5 metres.

Advice appreciated.
post #3873 of 3895 Old 09-19-2016, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Guys,

What is the most natural (i.e. with flat frequency response) sounding Dali series. I'm looking for a stereo pair for my medium sized room (32 m2). Here in my country, the Dalis are very competitively priced. But from what I've read, I'm afraid that they're having V-shaped response and some of them are on the bright side. Also it's bit confusing, because there's not much of a price difference between the series ( Zensor, Ikon, Opticon and Rubicon).

Thanks in advance.
noshank likes this.
post #3874 of 3895 Old 09-20-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky301067 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the Epicon 6's are a significant step up from the Epicon 2's? I'm thinking of going 6's at the front end and keeping my 2's as rears.

I'm not sure if the 6's will be overkill in my size of room, my room measures 6 metres by 5 metres.

Advice appreciated.
I think the Epicon 6 vs 2 is hard to compare - one is a medium sized tower speaker and the other is a stand mount.
The Epicon 6 obviously plays way lower and also has the ribbon tweeter on top.

The Epicon 6's should fit perfect into your room.
My room is a bit larger than yours, I had a subwoofer with my Epicon 6's when I had them.

Lovely speakers.

If you are only going to use them for HT only your wallet can decide if they are overkill, they might be if they only watch movies and above 80 HZ IMO.

Last edited by Superfrg; 09-20-2016 at 04:14 PM.
post #3875 of 3895 Old 09-20-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
I think the Epicon 6 vs 2 is hard to compare - one is a medium sized tower speaker and the other is a stand mount.
The Epicon 6 obviously plays way lower and also has the ribbon tweeter on top.

The Epicon 6's should fit perfect into your room.
My room is a bit larger than yours, I had a subwoofer with my Epicon 6's when I had them.

Lovely speakers.

If you are only going to use them for HT only your wallet can decide if they are overkill, they might be if they only watch movies and above 80 HZ IMO.

The speakers are used for HT & HIFI, I use 80 / 90 HZ with my sub for movies, there is no sub engaged for music.

Do you think there will be a big improvement with the ribbon tweeters over the dome in the 2's?

Decisions

Thanks

Mark

Dali Epicon 6's / Epicon 2's / Epicon Vokal / Atmos: Dali Kompass x 4 / Paradigm Sub 1 / Plinius Kio Kiio / Plinius P10 / Tag McLaren 5 x 100R /
Plinius Tautoro / Marantz AV8802A / OPPO 93 / JVC DILA 950
post #3876 of 3895 Old 09-21-2016, 02:00 PM

I do think there is a difference, especially if you are not using your sub for music.

BTW nice sub, I own that too
marky301067 likes this.
post #3877 of 3895 Old 09-21-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
I do think there is a difference, especially if you are not using your sub for music.

BTW nice sub, I own that too
Guys, my dilemma here is about using sub for music or not. Nonetheless my resolution is that the system does not know what is being played, film or music, right? So in my case I always use my (Dali) sub for all program materials. How would you regard to music played in a film? Or how would you refer to a concert DVD/BD? Is it music or film? Just thinkin' out loud!
post #3878 of 3895 Old 09-22-2016, 11:28 AM

Its a matter of taste, its not easy to implement a sub seamlessly into a stereo / music setup either.

I'd use a sub always with bookshelves and with most tower speakers as well.
post #3879 of 3895 Old 09-22-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I'd use a sub always with bookshelves and with most tower speakers as well.

Is that for music also?

Dali Epicon 6's / Epicon 2's / Epicon Vokal / Atmos: Dali Kompass x 4 / Paradigm Sub 1 / Plinius Kio Kiio / Plinius P10 / Tag McLaren 5 x 100R /
post #3880 of 3895 Old 09-22-2016, 12:23 PM

Yes, I think it adds that last dimension for music even though my mains go to 35 hz.

I want it to be subtle, with speakers properly cut of via crossover.
post #3881 of 3895 Old 09-22-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think it adds that last dimension for music even though my mains go to 35 hz.
What do you cross your mains over at ?

Quote:

I want it to be subtle, with speakers properly cut of via crossover.

I find the same as yourself regarding using my sub with the 2's it adds that bit extra weight to the sound which I really like, I'm not sure if it is the correct way to go though as many hifi purists advise not use a sub when listening to pure hifi! that's why I don't engage my sub for 2 stereo music playback.

I have been advised though the best way to go is for me to upgrade to the 6's, for that little bit of extra everything!

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

post #3882 of 3895 Old 09-22-2016, 02:47 PM

I cross over at around 60 hz.

I'd definitely use a sub with the Epicon 2's no matter what for music, and not cross lower than 80 hz.
But thats just my opinion and its a matter of preference and room size etc. etc.

When I had my Epicon 6's, I got the most of them when I used a sub with them.
I still think they are very good speakers and in the sweet spot of the Epicon range, if there is such a thing.
Beautiful as well, and easy to move around with the wood base cause they are not overly heavy.

I would not put alot of thought into that "purist" thing - use whatever solution sounds best.
I see alot of very high end and expensive systems with a sub or often multiple subs.

If you eventually decide that the subwoofer thing is not for you and just want 2.0 for music, i'd take the 6's over the 2's any day.
post #3883 of 3895 Old 09-22-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:

I'd definitely use a sub with the Epicon 2's no matter what for music, and not cross lower than 80 hz.
But thats just my opinion and its a matter of preference and room size etc. etc.

I still think they are very good speakers and in the sweet spot of the Epicon range, if there is such a thing.
Beautiful as well, and easy to move around with the wood base cause they are not overly heavy.

I would not put alot of thought into that "purist" thing - use whatever solution sounds best.
I see alot of very high end and expensive systems with a sub or often multiple subs.

If you eventually decide that the subwoofer thing is not for you and just want 2.0 for music, i'd take the 6's over the 2's any day.

Many thanks, your post has been very helpful.

post #3884 of 3895 Old 09-28-2016, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi All,
Glad to see this thread is still going strong. I haven't visited for more than a few years now, just kinda enjoying life.

I'm probably one of the first to own Dali speakers here, thanks to SteveH. Have had the Euphonia MS4s/CS4/Phantom surrounds for more than 10 years now and they're still going strong, They sound and look as good as they did the first time I heard them and have had no itch to upgrade. I'm glad everyone here is enjoying their Dalis. They're world class all around.
Once in a blue, I find myself reading about the new Epicons but I'm not sure I need or want to audition them. I guess I'll just live thru the Epicon owners for now.
Keep the great reviews going....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 (01).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1694137  
marky301067 and doorofnight like this.

Jose.

Last edited by Jose; 10-01-2016 at 04:47 AM.
post #3885 of 3895 Unread 10-01-2016, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by marquee-moon View Post
Guys,

What is the most natural (i.e. with flat frequency response) sounding Dali series. I'm looking for a stereo pair for my medium sized room (32 m2). Here in my country, the Dalis are very competitively priced. But from what I've read, I'm afraid that they're having V-shaped response and some of them are on the bright side. Also it's bit confusing, because there's not much of a price difference between the series ( Zensor, Ikon, Opticon and Rubicon).

Thanks in advance.
Don't toe in Dali speakers and don't place them too close to walls. As far as I know the Euphonia MS4 have been tested in an (pseudo) anechoic room and they show very decent measurements (google for this). I have not seen these measurements about other DALI-speakers. But I am not keeping track for a longer time now. But if you want to know about the quality of LS: find anechoic measurements.
post #3886 of 3895 Unread 10-01-2016, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Hi All,
Glad to see this thread is still going strong. I haven't visited for more than a few years now, just kinda enjoying life.

I'm probably one of the first to own Dali speakers here, thanks to SteveH. Have had the Euphonia MS4s/CS4/Phantom surrounds for more than 10 years now and they're still going strong, They sound and look as good as they did the first time I heard them and have had no itch to upgrade. I'm glad everyone here is enjoying their Dalis. They're world class all around.
Once in a blue, I find myself reading about the new Epicons but I'm not sure I need or want to audition them. I guess I'll just live thru the Epicon owners for now.
Keep the great reviews going....
Very nice setup. I own the Euphonia's for 2 years now, still very happy with them. I alsu use 2 JL-Audio subwoofers. Let us know what you think about the Epicon 6.. I have listened to them several times now.. And I have been experimenting with lots of other speakers.. Not because I am not happy with the MS4 but because it's fun to listen to different speakers. Still keeping my Euphonia MS4.

On top you see harmonizers for €2000,- It sounded better without.
post #3887 of 3895 Unread 10-01-2016, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorofnight View Post
Very nice setup. I own the Euphonia's for 2 years now, still very happy with them. I alsu use 2 JL-Audio subwoofers. Let us know what you think about the Epicon 6.. I have listened to them several times now.. And I have been experimenting with lots of other speakers.. Not because I am not happy with the MS4 but because it's fun to listen to different speakers. Still keeping my Euphonia MS4.

On top you see harmonizers for €2000,- It sounded better without.
Very nice! I'm also going to eventually get another JLA fathom12. Just been procrastinating.
Are those marble slabs under your MS4s? What's your opinion on the Epicon vs the MS4s?

Jose.
post #3888 of 3895 Unread 10-01-2016, 04:15 AM

Granite. I had them specially made. Two JL subs always sound better then one. So thats a no brainer (only with DSP).

I have never listened to the Epicon 6 and the MS4 in the same room, but what I've heard is that I like the MS4 over the E6. Nevertheless: I was impressed by the quality of the mid. Very dry, very realistic, maybe a bit more open then the MS4.. I am not sure what to think of that because the MS4 is a very neutral sounding loudspeaker (proven by measurements): this could mean that the E6 is not this neutral (haven't seen decent measurements yet).
And I prefer honest, neutral LS above speakers that are tuned to a taste. When it comes to bass: I use subwoofers so I do not care to compare the bass. When it comes to the tweetermodule: I think the MS4 is as transparant and 3D as the E6. But I really should hear them both in my own room.
I know there are people who disagree with me, but they are also dealers in Dali, so they want to sell new models and their opinion is not very objective. Also I know some people who listened both and preffered the MS4 above the E6. I think it's a close call.
Jose likes this.
post #3889 of 3895 Unread 10-01-2016, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Granite. I had them specially made. Two JL subs always sound better then one. So thats a no brainer (only with DSP).

I have never listened to the Epicon 6 and the MS4 in the same room, but what I've heard is that I like the MS4 over the E6. Nevertheless: I was impressed by the quality of the mid. Very dry, very realistic, maybe a bit more open then the MS4.. I am not sure what to think of that because the MS4 is a very neutral sounding loudspeaker (proven by measurements): this could mean that the E6 is not this neutral (haven't seen decent measurements yet).
And I prefer honest, neutral LS above speakers that are tuned to a taste. When it comes to bass: I use subwoofers so I do not care to compare the bass. When it comes to the tweetermodule: I think the MS4 is as transparant and 3D as the E6. But I really should hear them both in my own room.
I know there are people who disagree with me, but they are also dealers in Dali, so they want to sell new models and their opinion is not very objective. Also I know some people who listened both and preffered the MS4 above the E6. I think it's a close call.
Thanks for that quick reply. The MS4s are hard to beat in my book especially for the price in the 2nd hand market.

Your MS4s look sweet on top of those granite slabs and I bet they sound great on them. I experimented with mine on 1-1/4" marble slabs but they were a bit wobbly due to my rug so I've had them on Sistrum platforms. I eventually want to try them on a Symposium Svelte Plus platform because I have them under some of my equipment and center channel and I really like how they sound.

Jose.

Last edited by Jose; 10-01-2016 at 04:58 AM.
post #3890 of 3895 Unread 10-01-2016, 12:55 PM

Are you hearing improvements after placing the MS4 on the Symposium Svelte Plus platform because of the height? It must be at least 10 cm?
post #3891 of 3895 Unread 10-02-2016, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you hearing improvements after placing the MS4 on the Symposium Svelte Plus platform because of the height? It must be at least 10 cm?
I only have the svelte shelf under the center channel and the mac mini that I use as a music server for now. Definitely an improvement.
The quieter background jumps right out at you.
doorofnight likes this.

Jose.
post #3892 of 3895 Unread 10-25-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:

I finally made the jump to the 6's, how wrong was I thinking the 2's where the holy grail for sound in my room, the 6's are on a whole new playing field, I'm totally blown away with everything about them, I'm so glad I took the gamble to go for them, I would like to thank you again for helping me make my decision easier I most definitely have no need for a sub with music never mind movies.

The 6's are most definitely a speaker that you can 100% make that commitment to marry for life

Better everything over the 2's and work perfect in my room.
danthony1 likes this.

Last edited by marky301067; 10-25-2016 at 01:01 PM.
post #3893 of 3895 Unread 10-30-2016, 01:37 PM

Very nice to hear!

Even though Dali does recommend no toe-in at all, I got the suggestion from this thread once to give it just a small amount of toe-in - and I liked the results better that way.
post #3894 of 3895 Unread 11-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Very nice to hear!

Even though Dali does recommend no toe-in at all, I got the suggestion from this thread once to give it just a small amount of toe-in - and I liked the results better that way.
It depends on your listening triangle. If it's OK don't toe in. If you are far further away from your speakers then the distance between the speakers, you might try to toe in.
post #3895 of 3895 Unread 11-21-2016, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I am interested in hearing from Opticon 8 owners and would like to know your opinions. I'm thinking of upgrading and Dali is on my short list.

Thank you

Have fun with music and HT

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dali Bookshelf Speaker , Dali Ikon Vokal 2 Mkii Center Channel Speaker , Dali