Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3536 Old 08-07-2006, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_New_Guy View Post

I am wondering what the Dali Suite 2.8, C0.8 speakers wold be comparable to for HT... Anyone have any ideas?

I found the Suites to be really well balanced. Some people actually enjoy it not having as much top end extension. The Suite 2.8s go a bit lower than the IKON 6 and have a much better cabinet with less coloration. The Suite C0.8 is also superb, having clear, unmuffled vocals.

I'm really waiting for IKON drivers in a Suite cabinet though.

If you recently saw the Stereophile IKON 6 review, they mention that the top-end is a few dB too high... this is very easy to fix - just add a small, high wattage resistor between one of the LF and HF terminals at the back and suddently everything sounds just beautiful. In this configuration, if there was more bottom end and a quieter cabinet, Euphonia watch out!

Its quite amazing what quality you can get these days.

Another party trick with the IKON 6s/7s... some tar, extra bracing and lead lining makes things sound just amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3536 Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celik Parkan View Post

BruceOmega,

I was a bit puzzled about your comment on the guitar's moving from front-right to middle-right when you switched from 2.0 to 5.0. I thought the purpose of a HT arrangement was to take you to the the concert hall or jazz club or where ever the musicians are rather than move the instruments or singers around! I won't be too happy if I experience the same effect when I set up my HT. I need to verify that my Denon AVR provides the controls to prevent it.

Thanks again.

Celik

Celik,

Hmm, I viewed this from a different perspective. The 2.0 presentation was inadequately portraying the live experience while the 5.0 presentation better captured the ambiance of the performance.

Rather than say the guitar moved from front right to right side, a better description would be the guitar was limited to the front right of the room in 2.0 playback but had ambiance added by the rear speakers in 5.0.

I was purposely listening for sounds coming from both the fronts (Helicon) and rears (IKONs) to test for timbre matching. If instead I was listening to the concert, then I would have commented I felt more like I was in the concert environment in 5.0 than in 2.0.

Thanks
Bruce
post #63 of 3536 Old 08-07-2006, 12:18 PM

Bruce,

Thanks for the clarification.

While I said earlier that I won't get a sub, I would, nevertheless, be quite interested to hear your comments on how well your system has reproduced music (not sound track) in 5.0 and 5.1 formats.

Thanks.

Celik
post #64 of 3536 Old 08-11-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004 View Post

hi
Dali indeed makes superbe speakers but the marketing needs a BIG BIG push so that people can hear them at many more dealers.
i have the MS5 +Helicon center 200 (which really shines when biwired), the Helicon Sub and the Helicon Surrounds. finish is exceptional (but so is BW high end).
the real wood and weight clearly plays major role, so does the ribbon.
listening to the MS5 +sub H600 in 2.1 stereo is a threat !! scary

match these with powerful but not harsh hamps: Audio Analogue, Passlabs, NAD for instance.

Digital,

I have the Helicon 400 as my mains and am looking to buy the 200 as a center speaker. I have the mains biwired, but had not considered biwiring the center as well.

I'm using an Arcam 300 and wonder if I may need to purchase an amp... Any thoughts?

What type os speaker cable are you using?
post #65 of 3536 Old 08-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celik Parkan View Post

Bruce,

Thanks for the clarification.

While I said earlier that I won't get a sub, I would, nevertheless, be quite interested to hear your comments on how well your system has reproduced music (not sound track) in 5.0 and 5.1 formats.

Thanks.

Celik

Celik,

My listening in 5.0 was only a temporary stop-gap. As of yesterday, I now have the full 7.1 system up and running and listen to both movies and music in 7.1.

Using the buttons on my PrePro, I will occasionally switch between 2 channel (2.1?) and 7.1, and between 5.1 and 7.1. For me and my preferences, 7.1 is far superior to 2 channel, and 7.1 is better than 5.1.

I don't know how to configure my system to instantly switch between 5.0 and 5.1. AFAIK, I would have to go into set up mode and change the crossover for L and R from THX 80Hz for 7.1 to full range for 5.0. That takes time, and I do not think my audio memory is good enough to allow me to make an objective comparison without very quick switching back and forth.

Thanks
Bruce
post #66 of 3536 Old 08-15-2006, 05:53 AM

Bruce,

I really appreciate your clear description of your impressions of your system's performance.

Thanks.

Celik
post #67 of 3536 Old 09-20-2006, 05:01 PM

I have a shop here in Eastern TN that introduced me to the Dali line. The owner ask me to audition the Royal Towers. When I first looked at the speakers I thought the build quality is superb. The Royal Towers in the real wood (cherry) finish have an MSRP of $1,395.00 for the pair.

When I listened I could hardly believe what I was hearing coming from such a small floor standing speaker. They have remarkable detail within the center image. The center image is narrow, but the detail while centered makes up for the narrow range. The owner made me what I think was a pretty good deal. I walked out the door with the speakers for $900.00.

The next day, the owner called me and ask if I wanted the last Arcam A65 Plus he had in the store. I said sure if the price is right. I got the Arcam for $500.00. The combination of the little Arcam A65 and the Dali's is very good together. I feel like I have some really good sound without having to break my already small bank.
post #68 of 3536 Old 09-28-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Schifter View Post

Both are really sensational companies with stellar commitment to product design and customer service...

I have personally visited the factory where Dali speakers are made... This is THEIR OWN factory and it's really First Cabin... The Dali products represent outstanding value (IMHO) when compared to others in their price class... The finish is superb as is their overall design (in general)...

The owner of this business is the driving force (Peter Lyngdorf) and he's really something special...

Do consider their products... You cannot go wrong...

All the best...

mls

I know you're a consummate gentleman, and never speak badly of other products, but . . .
How would you rank Dali with the other European speaker companies. Can their products compete with the best that companies like B&W and Focal produce?
post #69 of 3536 Old 10-01-2006, 08:07 AM

Re: Comparison of B&Ws and Dalis

I was a B@W fan until I heard the Dali Helicon 400s. For my new sound system I listened to many different types/makes of speakers and, after a lengthy period of investigating, I managed to narrow my choices down to B&W 803s and the 400s as the main speakers of my system. I listened to a number of my own CDs of various vocal and instrumental music. The 803s appeared to add something to the recorded material, which might have been the reason why they sounded to me somewhat harsh and overpowering in comparison with the 400s, which consistently reproduced faithfully what was recorded on a CD. This neutrality might have been why they sounded just wondeful on some CDs and not so great on others - as we well know some CDs' are not recorded well. When I listened to my best CDs through the 803s and 400s the clarity and accuracy of the 400s won me over the 803s. I must add that the 803s might be the choice of those who prefer their sound reproduction bold, bright, and loud.

These are some of my observations that might be considered relevant:

1. The 400s were broken in over almost 800 hrs. I could tell the improvement, in terms of smoothness and clarity, between the first time I played them and two months later.
2. I bi-amplified the 400s (because I could) and it appeared to make some difference.
3. The cabinets of the 803s and the 400s are made in Denmark and they are both gorgeous. I prefer the 400s' appearence.
4. I added the Ikon Vocal 2 as the center and the Ikon 1s as the rear surround speakers (Both are Dali speakers and have the same timbre as the 400s) to make up my 5.0 HT system, which cost me $4,800+tax in NY City. The space this HT system fills in is a large, and relatively live, 26 ft by 23 ft living/dining room with floor-to-ceiling windows and hardwood floors. This is perhaps why the subdued "European sound" I am supposed to get out of my Dali system is so open and clear. Since the 400s can go all the way down to 31.5 Hz, I didn't think I needed a SW especially in view of the fact that my system is used entirely for music reproduction. For those who want more bottom-end sound effects for their movies an economic way to go may be 4 or 6 Ikon 1s or Ikon 2s, an Ikon SW and the Vocal 2 for center. Because the surround Ikons required 65 ft of speaker cable I went for high-quality 12 gauge OFC cable to connect them to my AVR.

CP
post #70 of 3536 Old 10-01-2006, 08:22 AM

CP: I am using the following Dali set up and really love the speakers.
Pioneer Elite 1120HDTV,Arcam AV9,Sunfire Cinema Grand AMP 400 ~ 7, Toshiba HD-DVD, Dali Euphonia Speakers all around with Dynaudio 500 Sub(5.1), Dish 211 HD Sat box. I have the front R/L bi-amped. The quality of the workmanship of the cabinets alone are
very special. I now have the best sound quality that I have ever had. Happy camper!!

ED
post #71 of 3536 Old 10-01-2006, 06:05 PM

Ed,

As far as I'm concerned your system is state-of-the art - Euphonias are as good as they get. Happy viewing and listening.

Celik
post #72 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

CP: I am using the following Dali set up and really love the speakers.
. . . Dali Euphonia Speakers all around with Dynaudio 500 Sub(5.1)! . . .

What models?

SM
post #73 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

I have only listened to the Dali Megaline speaker and boy, it is a great sounding speaker. I would probably never be able to afford it ($38k) but, it was a nice audition experience.

Dunno why, but Dali isnt very big in this forum.

The DALI Megalines are actually $50,000.00

I believe Dali is 3rd. or 4th. in worldwide market share, just behind B&W and JM Labs/Focal. Only in the last 4-5 years, has Dali concentrated on the US market. As a Dali dealer since 2002, we have been extremely pleased at what a great product they manufacture and what a great company they are.

You haven't heard much about Dali in this forum yet. In the US, Dali first introduced the higher end models. Little by little a really broad spectrum of the Dali line has become available to US dealers. Today, Dali offers dozens of models in every price range. As brand awareness increases and US market share continues to increase, I believe Dali will become a household name among enthusiasts.

If you are a music lover or a home theater enthusiast and you are considering new speakers, you should definitely audition the DALI's at your local dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

DALI has several series, each at a different price point.
Evidence 870 2800/pr
Evidence 470 1800/pr
Helicon 400 4200/pr
Helicon 800 6000/pr
Euphonia MS4 9000/pr
Euphonia MS5 12000/pr

They also offer the Royal, Suite, Concept, and IKON series all at lower price points.

See for yourself at http://www.dali-usa.com

Just to clarify - The actual Current MSRP's for the quoted models are as follows:

Evidence 870 MSRP= $2,795.00 in Black Ash or Cherry
Evidence 470 MSRP= $1,850.00 in Black Ash or Cherry
Helicon 400 MSRP= $4,300.00 Cherry or Rosenut
Helicon 800 MSRP= $6,500.00 Cherry or Rosenut
Euphonia MS4 MSRP= $10,500.00 in Alpi Finish
Euphonia MS5 MSRP= $14,500.00 in Alpi Finish

If anyone wants to know more about Dali, please ask questions in a post. Please do not PM with questions.

Signed,
Dali Megaline Dealer
post #74 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 AM

MS5 R/L, CS4 Center and RS3 SR/SL. All in Cherry veneer. Beautiful cabinets and beautiful sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

What models?

SM

ED
post #75 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

MS5 R/L, CS4 Center and RS3 SR/SL. All in Cherry veneer. Beautiful cabinets and beautiful sound.

Nice.

I just bought a pair of MS5s last week. I bought them on a whim, sight unseen, sound unheard. So I went home for lunch, and they were just delivered. They look wonderful. Can't wait to set them up.

Conversation with my wife was interesting.

Conversation 1 (last week):
Me: Honey I decided to set up a stereo.
Her: Where?
Me: In the conservatory.
Her: That's nice, I'd like to have music in there. Do you have enough equipment>
Me: I needed speakers, so I bought a pair.
Her: That's nice.

Today:
Her: Your speakers came, their massive. Why am I surprised! Where do you plan to put them?
Her: What are you going to do with the furniture?
. . . .
post #76 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice.

I just bought a pair of MS5s last week. I bought them on a whim, sight unseen, sound unheard. So I went home for lunch, and they were just delivered. They look wonderful. Can't wait to set them up.

Conversation with my wife was interesting.

Conversation 1 (last week):
Me: Honey I decided to set up a stereo.
Her: Where?
Her: That's nice, I'd like to have music in there. Do you have enough equipment>
Me: I needed speakers, so I bought a pair.
Her: That's nice.

Today:
Her: Your speakers came, their massive. Why am I surprised! Where do you plan to put them?
Her: What are you going to do with the furniture?
. . . .

Congratulations on the MS 5's!

When your wife sees how great they look in your room, you'll have no problem.

For safety's sake, don't attempt to move them without a helper! Have your dealer earn his money by setting them up for you.

The MS 5's require 600-800 hours of rigorous break in to fully come into their own. Do not judge them by what you'll hear during the first few weeks. Have patience and you'll be rewarded by their wonderfully musical nature. If you can leave them playing all day without disturbing anyone in the house, the break in period will pass more quickly.

The MS 5's have binding posts for TRI-Wiring. I recommend some good quality jumpers like Siltech's Classic series. The Siltech cables and jumpers are very synergistic with the Dalis. You should invite your dealer to bring some cables and equipment for a demonstration and see what you prefer in your room.

Signed,
DALI Megaline Dealer
post #77 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

AD,

What is the MSRP for the MS4 and MS5 in basic finish and the Phantom (top shelf) in-wall?

Regards,
Mike

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #78 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

AD,

What is the MSRP for the MS4 and MS5 in basic finish and the Phantom (top shelf) in-wall?

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Euphonia MS4 MSRP= $9,950.00 in Cherry or Maple Finish

Euphonia MS5 MSRP= $13,950.00 in Cherry or Maple Finish

There are currently three models of the DALI Phantom In Wall Speakers, targeted to meet the performance requirements and the budgets of their respective audience. All are fully enclosed in rigid cast aluminum enclosures. DALI's Euphonia, Helicon, and Ikon floor standing speakers are all designed for wide dispersion (Wide Sweet Spot) and require NO Toe In. Therefore, the design concept translated perfectly to an in wall configuration where toe in is undesirable.

Euphonia Phantom In Wall MSRP= $1,600.00 Each (Yes $3,200.00 pair)

Helicon Phantom In Wall MSRP= $1,195.00 Each ($2,390.00 pair)

IKON Phantom In Wall MSRP= $495.00 Each ($990.00 pair)

Signed,
Dali Megaline Dealer
post #79 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

AD,

How about the C4 center channel pricing?

That should cover the line...

Regards,
Mike

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #80 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

AD,

How about the C4 center channel pricing?

That should cover the line...

Regards,
Mike

The Euphonia CS 4 MSRP= $4,500.00 in Cherry or Maple and $4,750.00 in Alpi

The Euphonia RS 3 Surrounds MSRP= $4,750.00 in Cherry, Maple or Alpi

The Euphonia AS 2 Sub MSRP= $6,500.00 in Cherry or Maple and $6,950.00 in Alpi

That covers the Euphonia series!
post #81 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
the MS5 in Alpi finish are absolutely gorgeous. comanding. massive. powerful. amazing sound. i'll rebuy a pair one day with a Pass Lab X250.5
post #82 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg54 View Post

Digital,

I have the Helicon 400 as my mains and am looking to buy the 200 as a center speaker. I have the mains biwired, but had not considered biwiring the center as well.

I'm using an Arcam 300 and wonder if I may need to purchase an amp... Any thoughts?

What type os speaker cable are you using?

Hi
Actinote cables
sold the Dali. i do "HT business". will get another pair soon.
no other high end speakers in my budget limite (<11K) suits me as much as the MS5.
i think a good system is MS5 + HELICON C200 biwired (sounds much better this way) + Helicon W200. amplifier could be PASS LABS + SUNFIRE or SUNFIRE. works great on DENON PMA2000 also but if you push it, you need more beef or the MS5 +a subwoofer: yes, though they go deep, a digital sub like a sunfire TRUE EQ or a Velodyne helps a lot reaching that sub 40hz region. or the HELICON sub, which is remarquable (i think they should make a beefier detachable cord though).

guys, can you post pics of yr EUPHONIA or HELICON systems ???
post #83 of 3536 Old 10-02-2006, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I just set up the new Dali M5s. Well, actually they are "demos". I dug into the old equipment bin to set them up. I had an ATI 2505, a Tag McLaren AV32R, and a Panny RP91 that were not being used. So that's basically my system.

Like I said, I bought the speakers sight unseen. I heard good things about them, but never actually heard them. Yet, I found a good deal, and decided to buy them.

I am very impressed. Great bass extension. Holographic sound stage and stable sound stage. Detailed but not bright. Wonderful. Mind you, this is in a room that has no business being set up for 2 channel.

I tried to post pictures, but I don't know how to format them to post.

SM
post #84 of 3536 Old 10-03-2006, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a link that shows the initial set-up.

Dali Euphonia M5
post #85 of 3536 Old 10-03-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

hi
nice
BUT ! pull out the grills, let show the woofers, ribbon tweeter !!!
she's magnificient naked

otherwise speakers look so much the same often , front view, grills on

i'll get another pair in a few months and coupled with a PASS LABS X250.5

also i listen often in stereo +subwoofer (currently Sunfire True Sub EQ). it gives ENORMOUS depth and might to the system. sub is right in the middle of the speakers , 2feet from front wall.

Dali recommends not to tilt in the speakers. one has to experiment. target is to have the best stereo at several seats + the singer inthe middle far away as we all know...

i'd put some damping material inthe room though for the highs. and for the lows too if the room is "small".............

Peter Lyngdsorf (father of DALI, TACT) uses the Helicon cut (crossover) at ... 300hz! very sharp slope.
two subs in front corners, very fast , do the 25-300hz.... combined with TACT room EQ system. impressive.....................

"basic" (non filtered) 2.1 stereo allows to dramaticly increase the dynamics and clarity of medium-highs as the stereo amp doesnt need to be pushed must while the subwoofer(s) do(es) the beef of say,...<50hz. FQ
using floorstanders as monitors in this config gives enormous headroom and distortion free sound... be careful in the placement and settings of the sub.
post #86 of 3536 Old 10-03-2006, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004 View Post

hi
nice
BUT ! pull out the grills, let show the woofers, ribbon tweeter !!!
she's magnificient naked

otherwise speakers look so much the same often , front view, grills on

i'll get another pair in a few months and coupled with a PASS LABS X250.5

As you wish.

Naked Dali
post #87 of 3536 Old 10-03-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

much better !
post #88 of 3536 Old 10-03-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you think that bi-amped with tubes for the upper two posts and a beefy solid state for the woofers would help these sing?
post #89 of 3536 Old 10-03-2006, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

hm,pretty tricky to set it up...
i would first get good cables (the higher the power, the lower the impedance, the beefier the cables), with filters included (www.actionote.com or siltech or MIT).
then some acoustic panels in the room. make sure the connectors of MS5 are linked with copper wires (included). give them something like a PASS LAB X250.5 amp or the A32 PRIMARE amp. active biamp is another thing but you need a crossover and precise manufacturer's specs of the speaker.

tubes are great on high sensitivity horn speakers (KLIPSCH JBL GKF). too "light" for the MS5.

as incredible as it can sound, add a subwoofer in the line (pre out from the amp if possible or the preamp). never forget hifi can go very very low, lower than movies were bulk of bass is in the 30-60hz range. hifi/music can down to 16hz.
post #90 of 3536 Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As you wish.

Naked Dali

The speakers look great but are you sure the room is big enough for these to breath? FWIW Dali recommends using MS4 in rooms upto 40 sqm.

IGNORANCE IS A BLISS
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dali Bookshelf Speaker , Dali Ikon Vokal 2 Mkii Center Channel Speaker , Dali

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page