Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3514 Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nah...I just deleted one of my previous posts! You're luck #1000! Sorry Charles, but he's much more enthusiastic about it! [/confetti & balloons!]

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #993 of 3514 Old 04-25-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

Nah...I just deleted one of my previous posts! You're luck #1000! Sorry Charles, but he's much more enthusiastic about it! [/confetti & balloons!]

Jason

That's nice Ah just made my weekend, liquid lunch for me....

I was going to ask Charles to send me an envelope full of confetti..

Now if I can sell my speaker, by the the end of this week, I can make the call so I can be in Helicon Heven...

Cheers

Djoel
post #994 of 3514 Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

That's nice Ah just made my weekend, liquid lunch for me....

I was going to ask Charles to send me an envelope full of confetti..

Now if I can sell my speaker, by the the end of this week, I can make the call so I can be in Helicon Heaven...

Cheers

Djoel

I don't want confetti.. I'd rather you send me a pair of Megalines. I never even noticed the 1000th post so to the lucky winner, yehawwwwwww..

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #995 of 3514 Old 04-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Attachment 108737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

2-3" from the back wall???? YIKES! My Helicons are 15" from the back wall and if I move them any closer I defintely have an audible loss in sound quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

Phil,

If David and I read your plan correctly, are you placing the Dali Mentor's two or three inches from the back of your wall or the Vokal CC?

Hmmmm.. I cannot disagree with your plan based on what the Dali people have told you, but my skepticism would be heightened. I will be curious how this placement culminates. Please let us know how your implementation of the Mentor's/Vokal turns out. Much luck!!

Charles

Thanks for the replies.

So, to clarify, I'm building a proscenium/stage front for my multi-use room. It will look roughly (very roughly!) like this:

Attachment 108737

The side "boxes" or "columns" will be made of 1" x 2" framing, covered over on all three sides with GOM, leaving the Mentor 8's shrouded from view, but not acoustically enclosed. They will be roughly 10.5' apart with the projection screen in the middle. As such, the back of the Mentors with the rear ports will be (aesthetically "need" to be) about 2-3" away from the wall.

The Vocal will be either behind an AT screen (as per the picture above), or more likely just below the screen and just above the equipment in some open cabinetry. The Vokal does have front-firing ports, and is supposed to be ok in a "cabinet" providing that the dispersion is accounted for.

In this way, the Vokal will be directly in the middle of the screen wall between the Mentors, about 3.5' apart from each L/R speaker.

Now this whole design is required by my room being on the wide orientation--I only have 15' from front to back. With the Mentor 8's being 17+" deep, I'm eating into my room a lot!

Any ideas are welcome...
LL

creative>energy

post #996 of 3514 Old 04-25-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I really do not mean to be a downer, but my Helicons really require a minimum 0f 15" from the back wall. I originally had them at 12" and I did not get near the top to bottom detail and clarity that I have now. No rear ported speaker should be placed that close to a back wall. That close to a wall and enclosed in a cabinet, I would HIGHLY suggest you look at something like a LCR across the front.
post #997 of 3514 Old 04-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I really do not mean to be a downer, but my Helicons really require a minimum 0f 15" from the back wall. I originally had them at 12" and I did not get near the top to bottom detail and clarity that I have now. No rear ported speaker should be placed that close to a back wall. That close to a wall and enclosed in a cabinet, I would HIGHLY suggest you look at something like a LCR across the front.

Downer, big-time!

Well, I'll be talking with Dali on Monday about what to do then...

Any other responses for me?!

Could/should I do dual Mentor LCRs inverted on/in my proscenium instead of the Mentor 8's? I know the in-walls are designed to be inverted without coning, lobing, etc. issues; but, can you do the same with the LCRs. They are front-ported and designed for wall-mounting.

My main interests are getting the Dali sound--with enough bass & mid-bass--in a dedicated theater build-out.

My concerns with using the in-walls (even duals inverted) is that they simply can't produce the 40-60 hz bass range.

I heard the LCRs at CES and loved the sound. But, it was in a controlled (i.e. softer spl setting) room and I really want to be able to goose the volume at times.

My mid-sized room (3200 sq ft) I felt would be too big to "fill" with the single 5.25" bass drivers, especially considering the Vokal has dual 6.5" drivers.

Soooo, I went down this tortured path and still arrived at a "no-no" place after-all!

Hummnnn...

Help?!

creative>energy

post #998 of 3514 Old 04-26-2008, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's less the rear port and more the fact that the rear-ward wave cancels out the forward wave at the frequency that corresponds to the distance you have between the speaker and the wall. 2' separation between woofer and wall (or roughly 1' between back of the speaker and the wall) behind it gives a null at roughly 141hz.

Increasing the distance lowers the frequency that this null occurs at, and, in my experience, the magnitude of the null is less as the distance increases. 3' brings the null to 94hz, 4' brings the null to 71hz. Many people crossover into their subs at 80hz, so you for them, around 4' is the sweet spot for a reasonable setup.

Without this distance, it may be possible to use bass-traps to attenuate the rearward wave before it combines with the forward wave. But, that I don't have experience with yet.
post #999 of 3514 Old 04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

It's less the rear port and more the fact that the rear-ward wave cancels out the forward wave at the frequency that corresponds to the distance you have between the speaker and the wall. 2' separation between woofer and wall (or roughly 1' between back of the speaker and the wall) behind it gives a null at roughly 141hz.

Increasing the distance lowers the frequency that this null occurs at, and, in my experience, the magnitude of the null is less as the distance increases. 3' brings the null to 94hz, 4' brings the null to 71hz. Many people crossover into their subs at 80hz, so you for them, around 4' is the sweet spot for a reasonable setup.

Without this distance, it may be possible to use bass-traps to attenuate the rearward wave before it combines with the forward wave. But, that I don't have experience with yet.

That's cool insight, Jonomega. What do you figure the null to be if I had my woofer 18" off the wall?

I do plan on having some bass trapping in my room--so that might compensate the low-frequency null?

Much appreciated guys!
Phil

creative>energy

post #1000 of 3514 Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 PM

can anyone discuss the difference between the euphonia ms4's and helicon 400's? i would like to know the difference (or similarity) in sound since both have a shared bass/mid driver. primary question, do the ms4's have superior midrange? the comparison between the ms4's and the 400 mk2's would be appreciated as well. thanks
post #1001 of 3514 Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 PM

Okay guys,
Sorry I didn't update yesterday when I got my Helicon 800 MK1's but I have been busy enjoying the speakers and working on set up. I won't be able to post pictures until later this week but these speakers are very very beautiful. I was concerned b/c in all the pictures the sides looked so polished while shots of the front baffle looked very dull and muted. If any one else is concerned, this is definitely not the case and is commonly quoted here." Pictures do not do this speaker justice"
Down to the listening part. Compared to the Polk lsi 15 i noticed a huge improvement in sound stage. I was able to get in 2 channel at moderate volumes the sounstage that required a 3.1 speaker set up with the polks at much higher volumes. The second thing that I noticed was the highs. Notes that sounded very crisp and nice with the polks seemed somehow crisper and extended with the Dali's. For example, the sounds of a triangle actually lingered in the air after it was struck. The notes seemed to hang in the air a little longer and created the illusion that the instruments were actually in the room with you. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in the midrange but the highs and lows were substantially better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael630 View Post

can anyone discuss the difference between the euphonia ms4's and helicon 400's? i would like to know the difference (or similarity) in sound since both have a shared bass/mid driver. primary question, do the ms4's have superior midrange? the comparison between the ms4's and the 400 mk2's would be appreciated as well. thanks

In regards to this question, I have been in the same situation as you. Here is what my Dali dealer told me. Unless you have a specialized room that has been specifically designed to maximize sound quality, you would not be able to tell the difference between the MS4 and the 400 MK1 or MK2. He suggested that one area you would definitely notice a difference in any room however would be the extra bass provided by the 800 series. In other words, in most real world settings, like living rooms, there would be no noticeable difference between the MS4 and 400. He said save your money and buy the 800 vs MS4 and the 400 vs the MS4 unless you have a special room designed to optimize sound. In that situation you might notice the extra clarity provided by the extra dense/stiff cabinet and more expensive crossovers. To be honest I didn't have the time to have him set up all the different dali's and do a shoot out but in his defense he did have all the speakers in stock and on the floor to be demoed. In any case, good luck with your search. I am extremely happy with my decision and am in audio bliss

Supporter of whatever looks and sounds good to me
post #1002 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 AM

Hi. I'm a proud owner of a Dali Ikon 6 5.1 setup (Ikon 6, Ikon Vokal 2, Ikon Sub and Ikon On-wall). I intend to expand my setup to 7.1. I'm torn between the Dali Concept 1 and Dali Ikon 1 for my rear surrounds. If I use the Concept 1, I'm not sure if this will "match" my existing speakers. If I use the Ikon 1, there's only about 2 inches space between the top of cabinet where I intend to place it and the ceiling of my HT.

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Can I use dipole/bipole speakers that are not Dali-branded to expand my setup? I'm choosing Paradigm ADP190 or Polk Audio FXi A4 speakers. Will these speakers be ok as rear surrounds for my existing 5.1 setup.
post #1003 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt View Post

Okay guys,
Sorry I didn't update yesterday when I got my Helicon 800 MK1's but I have been busy enjoying the speakers and working on set up. I won't be able to post pictures until later this week but these speakers are very very beautiful. I was concerned b/c in all the pictures the sides looked so polished while shots of the front baffle looked very dull and muted. If any one else is concerned, this is definitely not the case and is commonly quoted here." Pictures do not do this speaker justice"
Down to the listening part. Compared to the Polk lsi 15 i noticed a huge improvement in sound stage. I was able to get in 2 channel at moderate volumes the sounstage that required a 3.1 speaker set up with the polks at much higher volumes. The second thing that I noticed was the highs. Notes that sounded very crisp and nice with the polks seemed somehow crisper and extended with the Dali's. For example, the sounds of a triangle actually lingered in the air after it was struck. The notes seemed to hang in the air a little longer and created the illusion that the instruments were actually in the room with you. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in the midrange but the highs and lows were substantially better.

Congrats on the new 800's David and i'm so glad that you noticed a big improvement over the polks. The Polks just didn't cut it musically for me i felt. What are you using for an amplifier? Enjoy your new toys and post up some pictures of them when you get the chance!

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #1004 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreoshake View Post

Hi. I'm a proud owner of a Dali Ikon 6 5.1 setup (Ikon 6, Ikon Vokal 2, Ikon Sub and Ikon On-wall). I intend to expand my setup to 7.1. I'm torn between the Dali Concept 1 and Dali Ikon 1 for my rear surrounds. If I use the Concept 1, I'm not sure if this will "match" my existing speakers. If I use the Ikon 1, there's only about 2 inches space between the top of cabinet where I intend to place it and the ceiling of my HT.

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Can I use dipole/bipole speakers that are not Dali-branded to expand my setup? I'm choosing Paradigm ADP190 or Polk Audio FXi A4 speakers. Will these speakers be ok as rear surrounds for my existing 5.1 setup.

Welcome to the Dali thread i believe you can go with any brand for the rear's and it really would not matter too much if you use Dali's or some other brand as the rears are not used for critical listening and mostly used to provide the dynamic sound effects.

I'm myself using Energy Vertias 2.3i's for side surrounds(5.1 setup) with Helicon's across the fronts and it does not bother me. I plan to move the Energy's to the rear once i buy a couple more Dali's to complete the 7.1.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #1005 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

Congrats on the new 800's David and i'm so glad that you noticed a big improvement over the polks. The Polks just didn't cut it musically for me i felt. What are you using for an amplifier? Enjoy your new toys and post up some pictures of them when you get the chance!

Thanks Daman,

I am currently only using my Onkyo 905 to drive my 800's and so far it's doing a great job. My next step will probably to get the Ikon Vokal with a phantom phrame for my center and then buy a nice amp after that. I can't wait to see how the Dalis sound after they are broken in. I can't believe it only gets better.

post #1006 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Adding a good external amp will make even another major improvement to them.
post #1007 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

David-

Do your 800s have the black baffle or the veneered baffle?

Jason

post #1008 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Adding a good external amp will make even another major improvement to them.

I couldn't agree more. I tried using my Marantz receiver to power them, just wasn't enough, so I initially got a B&K Reference stereo amp for the mains. I'm now using a Gemstone 7 channel and it's really improved the top end and made the whole setup effortless. I believe (esp with the 4 ohm load of Dali's) that an external amp is the way to go.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #1009 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

Do your 800s have the black baffle or the veneered baffle?

Never mind...just re-read your earlier post.

Jason

post #1010 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Daman,

I am currently only using my Onkyo 905 to drive my 800's and so far it's doing a great job. My next step will probably to get the Ikon Vokal with a phantom phrame for my center and then buy a nice amp after that. I can't wait to see how the Dalis sound after they are broken in. I can't believe it only gets better.

Awesome, btw any reason why you are not considering a C200 for the Center? It would probably match well with your 800's and is literally a 400 on its side. As rydenfan posted(and i agree) an external amp would really make the Dali's shine!

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #1011 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

Awesome, btw any reason why you are not considering a C200 for the Center? It would probably match well with your 800's and is literally a 400 on its side. As rydenfan posted(and i agree) an external amp would really make the Dali's shine!

I have my plasma mounted above my fireplace and I am leary about placing a heavy speaker above the plasma with a one year old in earthquake prone Los Angeles. I originally thought about placing a center channel below the plasma but that would have meant my TV would be even higher soooo, that's how I came to the on wall center with a tiltable tweeter. Not ideal, but it turned out pretty nice. So far it looks like when the time comes I will probably get an Emotiva amp since it seems to give the most bang for the buck. If anyone has better suggestions in that price range i'm all ears!

post #1012 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 04:14 PM

Congrats David...they really are incredibly musical speakers

I'd been spending most of my time enjoying music listening since my switch from Polk (seems several of us made this switch). However, over the weekend had a chance to watch a couple of Blu-rays with Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD MA to see how the Dalis (5-channel) and the new addition of a Fathom 113 sounded. Although I wasn't completely surprised as everything I'd read stated "if speakers handle music very well they should handle HT duties"....but the level to which my HT system has jumped with the dali speakers is impressive (my wife thinks I'm nuts but even she noticed the drastic improvement). On a side note...the F-113 is one impressive sub (I'm even considering a second one )
post #1013 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have my plasma mounted above my fireplace and I am leary about placing a heavy speaker above the plasma with a one year old in earthquake prone Los Angeles. I originally thought about placing a center channel below the plasma but that would have meant my TV would be even higher soooo, that's how I came to the on wall center with a tiltable tweeter. Not ideal, but it turned out pretty nice. So far it looks like when the time comes I will probably get an Emotiva amp since it seems to give the most bang for the buck. If anyone has better suggestions in that price range i'm all ears!

What is your budget? The Emotiva amps are waaay too bright. There are much better directions for you to go.
post #1014 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodown View Post

I'd been spending most of my time enjoying music listening since my switch from Polk (seems several of us made this switch). However, over the weekend had a chance to watch a couple of Blu-rays with Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD MA to see how the Dalis (5-channel) and the new addition of a Fathom 113 sounded. Although I wasn't completely surprised as everything I'd read stated "if speakers handle music very well they should handle HT duties"....but the level to which my HT system has jumped with the dali speakers is impressive (my wife thinks I'm nuts but even she noticed the drastic improvement). On a side note...the F-113 is one impressive sub (I'm even considering a second one )

Congrats! I am glad to hear things are going well. Try and get your hands on the Dave Matthews & Tim Renolds Blu-Ray, incredible detail.

Dual F13's, a man after my own heart
post #1015 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Congrats! I am glad to hear things are going well. Try and get your hands on the Dave Matthews & Tim Renolds Blu-Ray, incredible detail.

Dual F13's, a man after my own heart

David...yep pleased with the pursuit of 2-channel/HT bliss so far...but still along way to go but the ride is part of the enjoyment

That Dave Matthews blu-ray is on my ever growing "to purchase"
I'm astounded by the F13...there were a couple of subs on my list but the WAF tipped the balance for the F13 (especially with dual subs).

Still doing due diligence on 2-channel pre-amp (w/ HT bypass) to make the 800s shine in 2-channel and SSP to replace receiver. Yet to see how patient I can be in the next 6-8 months on the SSP offerings. Lots of reading/threads on the horizon

Also in the future moving to 7 channels and purchasing dedicated 2-channel amp for fronts with the Cary driving the remainder. Currently researching Pass amps for that purpose.
post #1016 of 3514 Old 04-28-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:

What is your budget? The Emotiva amps are waaay too bright. There are much better directions for you to go.

Thanks for all your patience and help guys. My budget is ever changing. Let's just say one-two thousand.

Quote:

Two F-113s hunh? That sure beats my single Outlaw LFM-plus by a nice margin. Enjoy!

post #1017 of 3514 Old 04-29-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

David...yep pleased with the pursuit of 2-channel/HT bliss so far...but still along way to go but the ride is part of the enjoyment

That Dave Matthews blu-ray is on my ever growing "to purchase"
I'm astounded by the F13...there were a couple of subs on my list but the WAF tipped the balance for the F13 (especially with dual subs).

Still doing due diligence on 2-channel pre-amp (w/ HT bypass) to make the 800s shine in 2-channel and SSP to replace receiver. Yet to see how patient I can be in the next 6-8 months on the SSP offerings. Lots of reading/threads on the horizon

Also in the future moving to 7 channels and purchasing dedicated 2-channel amp for fronts with the Cary driving the remainder. Currently researching Pass amps for that purpose.

Michael, if you need any help with 2 channel pre-amps or 2 channel amps just shoot me a PM or email. I would be glad to help.
post #1018 of 3514 Old 04-29-2008, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all your patience and help guys. My budget is ever changing. Let's just say one-two thousand.

This Rotel 1095 is way over priced as they usually go for around $1,200-$1,300 on Audiogon, but this would be a way better amp for you. Maybe he will accept a reasonable offer?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ult&1212673225

Also, keep your eye out for the Parsound Halo amps, also much better than Emotiva.
post #1019 of 3514 Old 04-29-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

This Rotel 1095 is way over priced as they usually go for around $1,200-$1,300 on Audiogon, but this would be a way better amp for you. Maybe he will accept a reasonable offer?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ult&1212673225

Also, keep your eye out for the Parsound Halo amps, also much better than Emotiva.

that is a great amp, and like rydenfan pointed out it is way overpriced, they sell new from the dealer for that price. I bought one for $1200.00 used in perfect condition.

If I hadn't pulled the trigger on the D-Sonic 2000-5, I would have bought a Parasound Halo A51 I don't think you could make a bad descision with either amp.
post #1020 of 3514 Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Two F-113s hunh? That sure beats my single Outlaw LFM-plus by a nice margin. Enjoy!

I would strongly suggest you look at the Gemstone in that range David. I recently got mine inside that range. It's a heck of an amp and compares very favorably against the higher priced amps, plus it mates very well with the Dali's.
Check out this thread when you get the chance, http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...hreadid=405527

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dali Bookshelf Speaker , Dali Ikon Vokal 2 Mkii Center Channel Speaker , Dali

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page