Orb Audio Classic Two System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-09-2006, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking about getting this sat/sub system as my entry level system for my Mits WD52525. Anyone have this system (or close to it)? Please give my your impressions of it for HT and music listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-10-2006, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The Orbs are very nice. I have not heard the sub but the sats can play loud and image very well. They can get a little raw when pushed but for TV viewing at normal listening levels they are a great choice.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #3 of 9 Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

I have an orb 5.0 system. I use a mod2 for the center. I don't have their subwoofer because I already had an HSU VTF-2.

I did a review on my orbs about a month ago, if you can do a search.

I will sum up by saying I am very impressed with these speakers, they play very loud and clear. Amazing sound for how light these speakers are. I have compared them to gallo speakers as well ( i own a pair of them). I believe the orbs just sound better, they also have a better bass response. In fact, the bass response is suprising for how small these speakers are. From what I understand, their subwoofer is a good performer to. I haven't heard it thought.

Highly recommended.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2006, 07:25 AM

Currently have Mod1s and Mod2s. They are pretty impressive for the price. Sound better than the Gallos. I find the Orbs to be clear, with pretty good separation. They handle voices for HT very well. They are very directional in that the sound seems to be coming from a distinct spot, so I guess their "soundstage" is limited.
At normal volumes they are fine. At higher volumes I find them fatiguing and think they start to distort. This isn't a speaker that likes to blend into the background.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1001
Currently have Mod1s and Mod2s. They are pretty impressive for the price. Sound better than the Gallos. I find the Orbs to be clear, with pretty good separation. They handle voices for HT very well. They are very directional in that the sound seems to be coming from a distinct spot, so I guess their "soundstage" is limited.
At normal volumes they are fine. At higher volumes I find them fatiguing and think they start to distort. This isn't a speaker that likes to blend into the background.
I'm curious as to how much power you're pushing into them. I notice that at higher volumes they can sound rather harsh and I was told my amp may be too powerful. I think it's a frequency response issue myself.

I think they image just fine, but mine are away from the walls so that may have something to do with it.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #6 of 9 Old 02-10-2006, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno
I'm curious as to how much power you're pushing into them. I notice that at higher volumes they can sound rather harsh and I was told my amp may be too powerful. I think it's a frequency response issue myself.
I think it's a combo of both. I never got the chance to audition either the Gallo's or Orb's, but I felt comfortable in my decision based on all the fantastic user reviews on this forum. My biggest concern was when they were pushed a bit harder, with a fairly large unified FR, it just made sense that they might balk when pushed. That's ultimately why I bought regular old speakers with different drivers for the various frequencies, although I still wonder if the Orb's would have worked for me.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #7 of 9 Old 02-10-2006, 12:40 PM

[quote=tonygeno]I'm curious as to how much power you're pushing into them. I notice that at higher volumes they can sound rather harsh and I was told my amp may be too powerful. I think it's a frequency response issue myself.
QUOTE]

I am using a Yamaha HTR5990, so I guess the spec is 140w but I'd bet it's really around 100w.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-10-2006, 10:26 PM

I think it's a matter of perspective. For their size, I find the Orbs to be pretty smooth even at very high volumes. I'm sure bigger speakers can definitely push higher volumes more smoothly, but pound for pound the Orbs really deliver. They definitely come closer to "tower" output (w/ the sub) than most other sub/sat systems, and the sats blend w/ the sub really nicely. Definitely something that stands out for me, and that's very important for music. Are they identical to towers? No way. But they are definitely the closest I've heard from any small speaker, including ones that are somewhat bigger than the Orbs. Like anything in audio, there are a million tradeoffs and balances to make. For me, they were way better than I ever expected and good enough to kiss the big speakers goodbye and reclaim some real estate.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-11-2006, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

My next door neighbors have the complete 7.1 Mod 2 system including the Orb Sub in their living room and its approx 18x18 with cathedral ceilings. They are running these with a Denon 3805 and I have to tell you I was blown away by the SQ. These little guys are great. I would not hesitate for one minute to recommend Orbs to anyone looking for a satellite system, and I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile I myself own separates and my speakers are Paradigm Studio monitors I feel I know what good sound is. Orbs get a big thumbs up from me.

Russ
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page