Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 282 Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

The NOS Interlude IL60s I just agreed to terms on and will pick up this weekend.

Thanks for asking though. wink.gif
KEWL smile.gif
I think u will be in for a real treat, especially if you can get your hands on the IL 36 center speaker, if you do any home theater ?
The IL 60's by themselves do a good job watching TV or Movies, but the IL 36 center really does a stellar job with vocals on TV or Movies.
Let me know how th Audyssey EQ works with them, ok ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 282 Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
I gave away my IL60s and IL36C to an old friend, he picked up the shipping. They were in my HT for almost 12 years, still among the best speakers I've heard. While I don't miss them because my new setup is just as good, I miss them smile.gif I kept the IL40s as surrounds, they too are incredible speakers - I actually preferred the IL40 for 2 channel listening.

Congrats, I hope you're happy with the new purchase.

post #273 of 282 Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Liked: 24
I've spent enough time listening to the IL60s that I feel like I can now give my thoughts on them - in short, they are a wonderful speaker that is very clean and neutral, yet detailed with great dynamics, imaging and soundstaging. They definitely have the Harman 'house sound' to which I'm accustomed.

I've tried their bass with all kinds of setups, a Denon AVR 4311 with Audessey XT32 sub eq and HK's HK990 integrated amp with Harman's own BassQ system that also independently eqs dual subs like XT32 does. And also with Trinnov on a Sherwood 972, which is great with full range/large speakers like the IL60, so they are very similar to the my JBL PT800/PS1400 stacks in that regard in terms of being a 'powered tower' with a passive 3-way speaker sitting on top of a built-in, integrated powered sub.

Are these IL60s the equal of my JBL PT800/PS1400 Performance Series stacks? No. Are they a match for my Revel Concerta series F12s? Yes. I very much wish PLHart would weigh in with his take on the Interludes vs the Betas/Revel Concertas.
post #274 of 282 Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 AM

BTW, the guy I got my IL60s from has one more new pair in maple if anyone is interested.
post #275 of 282 Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Wow! May I ask how much he wants for them?

post #276 of 282 Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM

I broke the silver base on one of my IL 60's and would really like to find a good base so I can replace it. Anyone have a lead on where to maybe find parts for one of these? Thanks.
post #277 of 282 Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:

I've spent enough time listening to the IL60s that I feel like I can now give my thoughts on them - in short, they are a wonderful speaker that is very clean and neutral, yet detailed with great dynamics, imaging and soundstaging. They definitely have the Harman 'house sound' to which I'm accustomed.

I've tried their bass with all kinds of setups, a Denon AVR 4311 with Audessey XT32 sub eq and HK's HK990 integrated amp with Harman's own BassQ system that also independently eqs dual subs like XT32 does. And also with Trinnov on a Sherwood 972, which is great with full range/large speakers like the IL60, so they are very similar to the my JBL PT800/PS1400 stacks in that regard in terms of being a 'powered tower' with a passive 3-way speaker sitting on top of a built-in, integrated powered sub.

Are these IL60s the equal of my JBL PT800/PS1400 Performance Series stacks? No. Are they a match for my Revel Concerta series F12s? Yes. I very much wish PLHart would weigh in with his take on the Interludes vs the Betas/Revel Concertas.
I typed a very very long post, then hit the reply button, nothing happened! Then, I hit it again, and it made 3 duplicate posts! I deleted 2 of them, and then ALL my post vanished!
I lost ALL of that long post!
I have not the energy for it right now, but I will come back and make the same post that I lost.
post #278 of 282 Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

^^ Wow! May I ask how much he wants for them?
The Harman Outlet had some for 600.00 each
post #279 of 282 Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:

The IL 60 is RULER Flat. Most High End Speakers are not. Many have built in loudness controls in them, meaning a midrange suckout.

Both the IL 40 and The Infinity Primus 360 have this design flaw built into them, IL 60 does not.

yes, the midrange suckout can be flattering, on some material, problem is, you can never turn it off! The Infinity IL 60 was intentionally designed for YOU to put your own flavor on it, by using Tone Controls. Both Floyd Tool and Sean Olive told me this, and I fought against it. Until I tried it. Richard Vandersteen also likes Tone Controls, believe it or not ?

Of course, the best tone controls would be remotely operated right ? And, imagine for a minute, that you could sit your fat azz on the couch, and remotely control the bass, treble, AND Subwoofer levels of your IL 60, all w/o ever accessing an On Screen Display ! Now, imagine for a minute, that there was such a piece of equipment like this, that even had front channel pre outs ?
Well, here it is http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461751/just-ordered-a-pyle-pt588ab-here-is-why

It should be here tomorrow, and I will let everyone know how it sounds.

To ME, the ability to remotely control bass, treble, and subwoofer levels in the Infinity IL 60 trumps all that other nonsense we have been told we "need".

BTW, when you bump up the bass and treble controls a little bit, you actually create a mid range suckout. Bump them up a little more, and you create more of a midrange suckout.

Have really great recorded material ? No problem, bypass all the tone controls, and listen flat.
post #280 of 282 Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post

The IL 60 is RULER Flat. Most High End Speakers are not. Many have built in loudness controls in them, meaning a midrange suckout.

Both the IL 40 and The Infinity Primus 360 have this design flaw built into them, IL 60 does not.

yes, the midrange suckout can be flattering, on some material, problem is, you can never turn it off! The Infinity IL 60 was intentionally designed for YOU to put your own flavor on it, by using Tone Controls. Both Floyd Tool and Sean Olive told me this, and I fought against it. Until I tried it. Richard Vandersteen also likes Tone Controls, believe it or not ?

Of course, the best tone controls would be remotely operated right ? And, imagine for a minute, that you could sit your fat azz on the couch, and remotely control the bass, treble, AND Subwoofer levels of your IL 60, all w/o ever accessing an On Screen Display ! Now, imagine for a minute, that there was such a piece of equipment like this, that even had front channel pre outs ?
Well, here it is http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461751/just-ordered-a-pyle-pt588ab-here-is-why

It should be here tomorrow, and I will let everyone know how it sounds.

To ME, the ability to remotely control bass, treble, and subwoofer levels in the Infinity IL 60 trumps all that other nonsense we have been told we "need".

BTW, when you bump up the bass and treble controls a little bit, you actually create a mid range suckout. Bump them up a little more, and you create more of a midrange suckout.

Have really great recorded material ? No problem, bypass all the tone controls, and listen flat.

Attached is an old review of the IL60s I found from Ultimate A/V, which used to be Stereophile's sister publication focusing on surround sound instead of 2 channel, and you can read for yourself what their comments were about the measurements of the IL60s being among the flattest response curves they had ever measured up until that point in time.

Just curious, but what do you mean by 'built in loudness controls" being in most/many "high end' speakers causing a midrange suckout? Examples please. BTW, I would not consider the IL40 or any Primus to meet the definition of "high end" by any stretch of the imagination.

SGHT IL60 Review.pdf 231k .pdf file
post #281 of 282 Old 05-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Attached is an old review of the IL60s I found from Ultimate A/V, which used to be Stereophile's sister publication focusing on surround sound instead of 2 channel, and you can read for yourself what their comments were about the measurements of the IL60s being among the flattest response curves they had ever measured up until that point in time.

Thanks for posting that. I've been looking for the review for some time, wrongly thinking that it originally appeared in Stereophile. Interesting to note the reviewer, Michael Fremer. He's currently the analog guru/turntable and cartridge reviewer at Stereophile. Haven't read a speaker review from him in a very long time. I think my A/V room was built for these speakers. Keepers since Day 1.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #282 of 282 Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

IL40 measurements were just as good as IL60, and I'd read an article by a member of the Interlude design team indicating the IL40 were their favorites from the lineup. I wouldn't rate any of the Interludes as high end, FWIW. Just very good speakers.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page