Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 282 Old 07-15-2007, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubs View Post

Are you sure they are real users and not some dummy users who just try to inflate the price for Harmon, If they are buying 1 per day then they should already have 2 or 4 of these and stop bidding anymore.

I think Bjorn61 is real...I checked his auctions and he had only won one beta 50. Isangel is probably a dummy bidder...buying multiple 50s in black and cherry is a bit odd, unless it is for a reseller.

My ordeal is over though...I finally got my second 50 for about $40 more than my first. I can't complain too much...they sound excellent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 282 Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM

I'm REALLY impressed with this forum. Lots of good advice and I can't believe that Infinity speaker guy was actually on here. That's impressive.

My situation is I wanted to upgrade my Kenwood HTIB system that I purchased back in 1990 something. I've been kinda broke for a while and now I have some extra cash Anyway, I upgraded my receiver with an H/K AVR340 and I got a good deal on a C250 center channel (Dual 5"). I've been reading about matching the L/C/R speakers. What does that mean exactly? Would it be a good match as long as I stay with the Beta line (I want to get the Beta 20 for L/R and music)? Or should I get the Beta 10's because they have the same 5" drivers as the C250? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #183 of 282 Old 07-16-2007, 06:03 PM

I'm not sure it matters that much as long as you stick with beta's. I've got beta 10's in the plasma room and beta 20's in the theater. I'd go with the 20's since the price is not much more.

One thing, the beta 20 is a pretty large speaker for a so-called bookshelf speaker, much larger cabinet than the 10.

On the other hand, if I remember correctly PLhart used 3 beta 10's for his front speakers and he designed the beta line.
post #184 of 282 Old 07-16-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reku View Post

I think Bjorn61 is real...I checked his auctions and he had only won one beta 50. Isangel is probably a dummy bidder...buying multiple 50s in black and cherry is a bit odd, unless it is for a reseller.

My ordeal is over though...I finally got my second 50 for about $40 more than my first. I can't complain too much...they sound excellent

Congratulations, Yes they both definitely were main reason for price to go so high, How much you paid total for 2 speakers, What are you planning to do for rear and center speaker. I also bought 2 beta 50 and now thinking of keeping either as 2.1 or buy rest of speakers.
post #185 of 282 Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 PM

I got my 2 beta 50's from ebay's harmanaudio store for 147 and 161. I think you can get them around 140 and maybe less (seen it as low as $122), it depends on how long you are willing to wait to win a low priced auction.

They didn't seem to be packaged so great but mine had no damage and looked as good as new.

Do not miss out on the beta c360, the center speaker. It is big but it produces great sound quality.
post #186 of 282 Old 07-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWK2000 View Post

I got my 2 beta 50's from ebay's harmanaudio store for 147 and 161. I think you can get them around 140 and maybe less (seen it as low as $122), it depends on how long you are willing to wait to win a low priced auction.

They didn't seem to be packaged so great but mine had no damage and looked as good as new.

Do not miss out on the beta c360, the center speaker. It is big but it produces great sound quality.

C360 will be very big for setup and I think I may have to go for c250, Also not sure which rears to buy to go with them. Also lately not many auctions be Harmon on ebay so limited choices.
post #187 of 282 Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 AM

If you havent purchased yet I strongly suggest you go with the C360. It is absolutely huge (that's why it rocks) and you wont regret it.
post #188 of 282 Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo M View Post

If you havent purchased yet I strongly suggest you go with the C360. It is absolutely huge (that's why it rocks) and you wont regret it.

I read at all the places that c360 is better but I want to keep something on front of plasma and c360 is too big for that and I have to settle for c250 and once we move to our own house and have option of mouting then will buy c360. What are the good rears that can go with these speakers?
post #189 of 282 Old 07-19-2007, 01:13 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
Where could I buy Primus 360s for cheap? Time by time used ones pop up on eBay but they sell for almost $400 /p - almost as much as a new pair would cost...
My other question is how much different 360 from 250? I know physically it has an extra mid-drive but when it comes to sound...?
post #190 of 282 Old 07-19-2007, 06:30 PM

They sound very similar. I know it is much bigger and it goes about 10hz. lower, but crossed at 80hz to a good sub makes that mute. I listened to both at CC when they had them and bought the 250. I really couldn't tell much difference. Maybe if you had a very large room and need the extra power handling capacity it might. I have the 250 and Beta 10s as left and right. I get all the volume I need in a relatively large room. Remember, the guy that designed the Beta series says he uses Beta 10s across the front for all three.
post #191 of 282 Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

They sound very similar. I know it is much bigger and it goes about 10hz. lower, but crossed at 80hz to a good sub makes that mute. I listened to both at CC when they had them and bought the 250. I really couldn't tell much difference. Maybe if you had a very large room and need the extra power handling capacity it might. I have the 250 and Beta 10s as left and right. I get all the volume I need in a relatively large room. Remember, the guy that designed the Beta series says he uses Beta 10s across the front for all three.

One of the big reasons for using Beta 10s, all positioned upright as my LCRs, was so that I could maintain identical horizontal dispersion characteristics across the front sound stage. Note it is also strongly recommended that the 3 Beta 10s be mounted as close as possible to the same (above the HDTV) listening height and pointed down toward the listening area.

Many side-by-side center channel speakers, almost all of which have both mid-woofers driven full-range, exhibit serious cancellation lobes as little at 10 to 15 degrees off either side of the central axis (when positioned horizontally). The cancellations at best are annoying to me but at worst often make some parts of dialog hard for my wife to hear because she is invariably sitting off-axis and in one of those pesky cancellation nodes. Note: The closer the two midwoofers are mounted toward each other (if horizontal) and the further away you sit the less you are likely to be bothered by this cancellation phenomena.

The C360 does not exhibit this problem since it has a midrange (carrying vocal harmonics ) mounted vertically, under the tweeter. But if you choose to go with the C250 I would recommend trying to listen to it mounted vertically with a couple of movies to see what you think.

Best of luck.......Patrick Hart
post #192 of 282 Old 07-20-2007, 05:14 AM

Patrick,

We always appreciate your insight. There are probably a couple of reasons I didn't notice the cancelations at CC. I was in front of both at the time and I am not as astute at picking up things like that as many are here on this forum. We have a relatively narrow viewing area in our HT and it may not be apparent here either. I think the 250 does a great job in my environment. After reading some of your posts I found a refurb CSW-10 and bought it about 3 months ago. What a machine. I don't think it gets the respect it deserves. I think it may be because at full retail it was somewhat overpriced. Again, thanks for the input.
post #193 of 282 Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhart View Post

One of the big reasons for using Beta 10s, all positioned upright as my LCRs, was so that I could maintain identical horizontal dispersion characteristics across the front sound stage. Note it is also strongly recommended that the 3 Beta 10s be mounted as close as possible to the same (above the HDTV) listening height and pointed down toward the listening area.

Many side-by-side center channel speakers, almost all of which have both mid-woofers driven full-range, exhibit serious cancellation lobes as little at 10 to 15 degrees off either side of the central axis (when positioned horizontally). The cancellations at best are annoying to me but at worst often make some parts of dialog hard for my wife to hear because she is invariably sitting off-axis and in one of those pesky cancellation nodes. Note: The closer the two midwoofers are mounted toward each other (if horizontal) and the further away you sit the less you are likely to be bothered by this cancellation phenomena.

The C360 does not exhibit this problem since it has a midrange (carrying vocal harmonics ) mounted vertically, under the tweeter. But if you choose to go with the C250 I would recommend trying to listen to it mounted vertically with a couple of movies to see what you think.

Best of luck.......Patrick Hart

Thx for the reply, In MA area I don't have the option to try them and need to buy them on internet so I have to make a choice without the audition. We have beta 50 as front and currently using phantom center but somehow we were so used to center for dialogue (athena setup before buying this), We wanted to add either c250 or 360 whereas someone also recommend beat 20 or 10 as an option for center.
What can we buy as rears since es250 are very expensive and difficult to find.
post #194 of 282 Old 07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Thx for the reply, In MA area I don't have the option to try them and need to buy them on internet so I have to make a choice without the audition. We have beta 50 as front and currently using phantom center but somehow we were so used to center for dialogue (athena setup before buying this), We wanted to add either c250 or 360 whereas someone also recommend beat 20 or 10 as an option for center.
What can we buy as rears since es250 are very expensive and difficult to find.

You could conceivably use Beta 10s or 20s. However some feel that room size plays a role in whether or not one uses direct-firing speakers or bi-dipole speakers. Read this thread before you make any decisions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=30

The anecdotal tests using different types of surround speakers in different size rooms was eye opening.

Greg

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #195 of 282 Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Wow good informative thread!
post #196 of 282 Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Congratulations, Yes they both definitely were main reason for price to go so high, How much you paid total for 2 speakers, What are you planning to do for rear and center speaker. I also bought 2 beta 50 and now thinking of keeping either as 2.1 or buy rest of speakers.

I got my first beta 50 for $108.96 bid, $157.40 shipped on 06/11. Didn't win the second one until 07/04...after losing so many auctions, I bid higher than usual and got it for $149.50 bid, $201.09 shipped. It was crazy how high they were going for a while there. I also picked up the C360 center and 2 beta 20s for rears from harman's ebay seller in June. I currently only have the 50s and the 360 hooked up to the receiver...trying to convince the wife to let me run the speaker wire and install mounts for the 20's on the back wall. I love the 360...you will not be disappointed if you get it. It cost about the same as the 2nd beta since it does not seem to have as many auctions. At least shipping was $20 cheaper

This thread inspired a complete family room overhaul at my house. I bought a proper sound system that includes the beta speakers and the hk avr 745, then decided to change out my rear projection 51" tv with the Pioneer 5080 plasma (needed a nice tv to go with the nice sound system), had verizon come and install fios hd tv, bought a new a/v furniture set similar to the color of the speakers, ripped out the blinds and installed nice, heavy curtains, moved out some misc furniture and brought in the 2nd la z boy for his and her comfort Just got the Omnimount UCL-X today, so I have a bit of a project there. Soon, I plan to route cat 5e from the office to the family room for NAS streaming of high bit rate content and route speaker cable in key spots around the family room for 6.1. My wife was annoyed with all the changes until I got the TC 30 remote set up and she can do things with 2 clicks that used to take 3 remotes(that and I told her she gets to choose the next household upgrade). She should be good as gold once I finish my projects and figure out what to do with the old furniture.
post #197 of 282 Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Reku,

I have the 50's, 360, 4 X 250's, and a killer DIY sub for a 7.1 system. I'm currently using a mid-level sony AVR.

I've heard great things about the SQ of the HK avr's. If you've had anything else hooked up to the betas, did you notice a big improvement of the HK over whatever else you've used?

If that's all you've had, what are your impressions of the HK?

Thanks,
Rob
post #198 of 282 Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

Reku,

I have the 50's, 360, 4 X 250's, and a killer DIY sub for a 7.1 system. I'm currently using a mid-level sony AVR.

I've heard great things about the SQ of the HK avr's. If you've had anything else hooked up to the betas, did you notice a big improvement of the HK over whatever else you've used?

If that's all you've had, what are your impressions of the HK?

Thanks,
Rob

Wish I could help you more Rob, but the HK AVR 745 is the first receiver I have ever purchased. The last one I had was one my father picked up in the late 70s and I grabbed it from his garage in the early 90s For what it's worth, I love the HK AVR/Beta's sound. The receiver is relatively user friendly imo...I am pretty good with technology and everything seems to make sense even though I am new to receiver controls. My iPOD sounds great going through The Bridge(HK's docking station). This is without running the EQ program. I may run that tonight because it is supposed to make a huge difference in the sound quality...just got so many damned projects going, I haven't had time to read up on it.
post #199 of 282 Old 07-28-2007, 01:04 AM

After reading this thread, and finding a pretty good deal on set of used Betas, I'm retiring my 7 year old RS series speakers (RS5s, CC3, RS2s, BU-120) and replacing them with Beta 50s, a C360, es250s, and a CSW-10. I'll be driving them with a Sony STR-DA5200ES AVR. I also have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Marantz MA500 monoblocks, so I might try bi-amping the Beta 50s. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll let you all know how everything sounds.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Aloha,

Larry
post #200 of 282 Old 07-28-2007, 04:37 AM

RS' I've heard are great spks. I've got the same front three Beta's. They put up a large soundstage. I'd be interested in hearing what your impressions are after having the older Infinitys.
post #201 of 282 Old 07-28-2007, 08:13 AM

ES250 are difficult to find and very expensive, Where is the best place to buy them or how much they are better for rears as compare to beta10 for 5.1 setup. I am using beta 50's as fronts.
post #202 of 282 Old 07-28-2007, 08:55 AM

What I have heard ppl say here and on other threads is that for ambient sounds like for HT purposes the es' do well, however if you are listening to a significant amount of mulitchannel music it's better to have direct radiators like the 10s. I've got the 20s for rears and have had no issues with them. Keep in mind that all the betas except for the 360 and possibly the 250 are rear ported.
post #203 of 282 Old 07-28-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalexan View Post

What I have heard ppl say here and on other threads is that for ambient sounds like for HT purposes the es' do well, however if you are listening to a significant amount of mulitchannel music it's better to have direct radiators like the 10s. I've got the 20s for rears and have had no issues with them. Keep in mind that all the betas except for the 360 and possibly the 250 are rear ported.

Isn't the beta20 will be big for rears, Did you wall mount them (which mount) or using stand.
What is meant by rear ported?
post #204 of 282 Old 07-28-2007, 05:14 PM

I'm using a similar 7.1 speaker setup as some of you: Beta 50's, C360 and ES-250's (4) on my new HT. Since all but the second set of ES-250's have arrived, I was wondering if a pair of Primus 250's, given to me as a gift, could be used in place of a pair of the ES-250's. Would they be better than the 250's? Could they be used as rears? My HT room is 17x24x9'. Comments?
post #205 of 282 Old 07-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Isn't the beta20 will be big for rears, Did you wall mount them (which mount) or using stand.
What is meant by rear ported?

Rear ported means that there is a open port on the back of the speaker. It is made this way to help the bass response of the speaker. But you have to keep that in mind because speakers like that cannot be placed flush against a wall and sound optimal. They have to be spaced out from the wall about 6-12 inches.
I have my 20s on 24" stands and they sound great. I have a lot of room to put these speakers in for rears, that why I used them.
post #206 of 282 Old 07-29-2007, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Fish View Post

I'm using a similar 7.1 speaker setup as some of you: Beta 50's, C360 and ES-250's (4) on my new HT. Since all but the second set of ES-250's have arrived, I was wondering if a pair of Primus 250's, given to me as a gift, could be used in place of a pair of the ES-250's. Would they be better than the 250's? Could they be used as rears? My HT room is 17x24x9'. Comments?

In a 7.1 setup I think the Primus 250s would be fine for the rear since there's no real need for the diffusion that the ES250 is capable of. Are the Primi front ported? (I know this is an issue because I looked and waited for two years for a pair of Alpha 20s to use as surrounds in my system simply because they were front ported and the similar Interlude model wasn't).

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #207 of 282 Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reku View Post

Wish I could help you more Rob, but the HK AVR 745 is the first receiver I have ever purchased. The last one I had was one my father picked up in the late 70s and I grabbed it from his garage in the early 90s For what it's worth, I love the HK AVR/Beta's sound. The receiver is relatively user friendly imo...I am pretty good with technology and everything seems to make sense even though I am new to receiver controls. My iPOD sounds great going through The Bridge(HK's docking station). This is without running the EQ program. I may run that tonight because it is supposed to make a huge difference in the sound quality...just got so many damned projects going, I haven't had time to read up on it.

Thanks for the response. I'm glad you're liking the set-up. I can't make up my mind about HK. Everyone says the SQ is great, but that reliability is an issue. I bought the New Sony based on the fact that my old one lasted 15 yrs and sounded great, but the new one was supposed to be an improved model and that's just not the case. Of course that was before I found AVS. If I had, I probably would have purchased something different. I do love the Betas though.

Rob
post #208 of 282 Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 AM

Infinity speaker owners,

Which receiver are you using with infinity speakers and post your recommendation, I have beta setup and looking for good receiver.
post #209 of 282 Old 07-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Infinity speaker owners,

Which receiver are you using with infinity speakers and post your recommendation, I have beta setup and looking for good receiver.

Don't know what Sony receiver Rob is complaining about, but my STR-DB930 receover has powered Infinity speakers for years now without any problems. And the sound quality is excellent. This model is just a step below the ES and has much better build quality that the regular Sony line. Since the DB line is no longer made I would go with their ES series if I had to buy a new receiver today.

Greg

post #210 of 282 Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

My sony is the STR-DG600 and is several steps below the ES line. I'm not necessarily complaining about the SQ. It's just that, had I found AVS before the purchase, I could have gotten more for my money.

Rob
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page