Inifinty speakers and bang for your buck - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 282 Old 02-21-2006, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting a new system soon. Trying to get some basics down first.

I've had Inifinity in the past, and love them. I currently have some bookshelves set up. I also have soem towers in storage ($500 pair). My wife wants smaller speakers for the next house thgouh anmd gave me the go ahead for a new stereo.

I'm thinking Infinity a bit, but it seems like they are not commonly refered to when people talk about "better" speaekers. Are they good in terms of bang for your buck?

Should I not get them or are they fair game?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 282 Old 02-21-2006, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Heck yea Infinitys are excellent Bang For Buck.

But here is your problem: small speakers suck. Try some, side by side with your old Infinitys, and you will see what I mean.

One suggestion is that you look at some nice little Infinity Beta bookshelfs, on pretty stands or something.
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...prod=BETA10BKS

Or try the Infinity in-walls.... and base the system on this:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...?prod=ERSHV250

Also, if your wife insists on small, you should insist on a large center channel speaker ( hugely important in modern systems), like this bad boy:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...es=BET&cat=CCS
and then relent on the 4 other speakers, but dont go to dinky or you will loose hugely ins sound quality....
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...es=BET&cat=BFS

Also, she should understand that subwoofers are always going to be larger, and you should look for relatively small, but powerful sub. This one is supposed to be a real sleeper:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...x?prod=CSW10BK

Also, if you happen to have money, Revelspeakers.com is essentially the high-end Infinity brand:
http://www.revelspeakers.com/product...eries=Concerta
four M12a, a C12 and a B12 would basically put you in audio heaven.

If you lose all attempts to enlarge the system... this may not be too horible:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...s_feature.aspx

BTW I dont own any Infinities except an 18 year old pair of cheap bookshelf models... but they are still a respectable brand. Theres plenty of other brands though....
post #3 of 282 Old 02-22-2006, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Kill your wife and get the Beta 50s.
post #4 of 282 Old 02-22-2006, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Thats a bit extream , who going to do the cooking?

I own the 40s but can't say there a bang for the buck as i live in Hong Kong, and we kinda get screwed with high prices here.
The Beta line of speakers are definitly worth an audition over on that side of the planet though, and on a personal note i think i might move to the US one day (consumer heaven).
Will
post #5 of 282 Old 02-22-2006, 07:55 AM

You can find excellent deals on factory refurbished Infinities on ebay. They're sold directly by Harman and have the full five year warranty. If you can score a system that way, the Infinities become extremely hard to beat in the bang-for-the-buck area, IMHO.

I also agree that you're better off avoiding satellites. Not that the satellites necessarily sound bad, but I think that, for the same money, a larger speaker is almost always going to sound better than a satellite.
post #6 of 282 Old 02-22-2006, 08:12 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post

You can find excellent deals on factory refurbished Infinities on ebay. They're sold directly by Harman and have the full five year warranty. If you can score a system that way, the Infinities become extremely hard to beat in the bang-for-the-buck area, IMHO.

I also agree that you're better off avoiding satellites. Not that the satellites necessarily sound bad, but I think that, for the same money, a larger speaker is almost always going to sound better than a satellite.

Not neccessarily. Depending on whether you have a sub or not, what you listen to, the size of the room, etc. a satellite can easily sound as good as or surpass a larger speaker.

I used to have Infinity speakers. Older models, I believe that I had three Overture 1's in the front and RS3's in the back. They sounded fantastic. Sometimes I wonder why I ever sold them off. You might want to try the used market. I have found it possible to get great speakers at great prices.
post #7 of 282 Old 02-22-2006, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Hahahaha, that made me laugh. I don't know if they'd do me any good while running away from my cell mate.

Read the other posts. I am highly confident in sticking with Inifinty. I loved the idea of buying factory refurbished off of EBay. Great idea!

My current towers are Studio Monitor series (either SM122 or SM125, I forget). I love them. But they must go ....

My current thought is to keep my center channel (Primus C25) and my bookshelves (Studio Monitors SM65's). Then pick up another pair of SM65s if possbile to compelte the surround for the 7.1 setup. And I have hte center channel.

So, that leaves abut a $2,000 budget for audio listening.

I might just start a new thread on this, but hte covnersatin is best continmued here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=648008
post #8 of 282 Old 02-23-2006, 08:46 AM

I did just as they suggested. I got 2 beta 10s and a c250 direct from Harmon for $225. That is for all three. Not bad at all. I also picked up a CSW-10 sub for $429. these are all refurbished. They all carry the full factory warranty and only had minor scratches that are hardly noticable. There is another source of refurbished Infinity and that is theaudiovideosource.com. They are listed on Infinity's site as an authorized dealer for refurbs. I think the system sounds great and I can't be happier with what I paid.
post #9 of 282 Old 02-23-2006, 10:59 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

I have the Beta 20s and the C360 at my home. The CMMD drivers can be a little odd to drive. They are such rigid drivers. Some people prefer a more flexible driver.

As far as the sound goes, my feelings are a bit mixed.

- Love the sound of them with music when being driven by my Panny XR55.
- Love the sound of them with music when being driven by my vintage Sansui receivers.
- Not so sure of the sound when they are driven by my Music Hall integrated amp.

I suspect the Music Hall amp isn't coloring the sound much at all and just presenting them as the neutral sounding speaker that they are. However, I do like the detail that comes out of them when driven by other sources.

Many times products get knocked because they are not paired with the right gear - for proper synergy. Ha - is that an audiophile term or what? No, seriously, I think the Betas are hard to beat, provided you're driving them with a source that makes them sound up to their potential. I'm actually surpised how good the sound is of the $200 pair of Betas when driven by my $210 Panasonic receiver in dual-amp mode. Certainly compares to many combinations I've heard where the speaker/receiver prices were 3, 4, or 5 times the amount of my current setup.
post #10 of 282 Old 02-23-2006, 11:02 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My wife wants smaller speakers for the next house thgouh anmd gave me the go ahead for a new stereo.

The Beta 20s and the Beta C360 will actually perform quite well. Make your wife happy by going with the bookshelf Beta 20s ... after all, they only weigh 20 Lbs. a piece and are some of the more chunky bookshelf speakers that I've owned. Round out the bass with a good sub from SVS and you'll be all set.
post #11 of 282 Old 02-24-2006, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
My wife let me buy some Interlude IL60s a few years ago on my promise that I would sell my Overture 3s. The 3s are still here in my spare room vintage system. I hear about it occasionally, but I just love their sound (with polypropylene drivers, not CMMD).

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #12 of 282 Old 02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

LMAO! If he did that, then he could get some much nicer speakers than the Beta 50's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #13 of 282 Old 03-03-2006, 08:06 AM

Any thoughts on pairing the C360 with 2 SM82's? I've had them for 15 years and they still sound great to me. I just picked up some Mirage Omnisat V2 surrounds for the rear and have a Mirage S12 sub on the way. My first child is due in 3 weeks and I'm a little tapped out as far as replacing the SM82's and then getting a CC to match whatever I get. So I'm hoping to keep them in the front and then get a CC to complete my 5.1 which is running off a Kenwood VR-6060. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #14 of 282 Old 03-04-2006, 06:03 AM

Infinity makes a very good neutral sounding speaker.I am on my second set,the TSS-750 system,which I am pleased with.My first ones were a pair of RS series bookshelfs.
post #15 of 282 Old 03-04-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post

I've had Inifinity in the past, and love them.

If you like the sound of the old Infinity speakers, you may not like the newer ones. This is particularly true if you are/were accustomed to the speakers with the EMIT tweeters. If that's the sound you're looking for, you may want to try eBay or Audiogon for a used pair.
post #16 of 282 Old 03-04-2006, 08:18 PM

Kherman if you are still looking for advice I would suggest convincing your wife that the Infinity beta40's are a good route. The sound stage on the beta 40 towers is just as large as that of the 50's. The beta 50's just have more bass extention. But the bottom line is the beta 40's are VERY compact and take up no more floor space than a bookshelf speaker on a stand.

There is NO WAY that a bookshelf speaker can give you good sound with music in a room that is as big as the one that you discribed, movies might sound ok but only if you crank the amp!
post #17 of 282 Old 03-04-2006, 08:22 PM

I have had 1 pair of SM115 for ten years with the emit tweeter and I can say after many a parties with 500 something people they still work. I then paired those up with a Video 1 center channel and 5 SM82's. I am running a onkyo 801 and Panny S77 DVD player. I have a interlude IL12 SUB. I must say for music and cd listening I would pair them up with most. As for as movies go well all the speakers are bass reflex and well the bass in movies is frightining. I have put together two systems for my friend and brother and switched them to the OWS on wall speakers with the Video 1 center channel and the IL 12 sub For movies this is the best setup, for music well I would say SM all the way. I believe I am at the end of the SM era and I am going to either go with the OWS or get the Apha series all the way across and keep the IL12 sub it is remarkable. Any comments let me know.

K
post #18 of 282 Old 03-04-2006, 10:51 PM

Not too hi-jack or get off topic, but I have a Infinity Primus system in cherry wood, 4 bookshelfs, center and 8 inch subwoofer. I am having a very very hard time finding the Primus 360 Towers in Cherry to match. Would the Beta line of towers be a good match for the Primus speakers???
post #19 of 282 Old 03-04-2006, 11:19 PM

ZXLNT-

Yes, the Betas will work well with the Primus as long as you don't mind the difference in looks.

I was just at Circuit $hitty and the have the Beta 50s for $700 a pair! I think there only available in black.

"I AM WE TODD IT....I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT." -Albert Einstein
post #20 of 282 Old 03-04-2006, 11:27 PM

Thanks, I got my Primus package at CC as well. The salesman said the package they had was some kind of misorder or extra order or something like that. I can find the Beta's in Cherry just not the Primus, and when I google up the Primus speakers most of what I find is in German or something. Kind of interesting..
post #21 of 282 Old 03-05-2006, 04:45 PM

I cannot find one picture of Primus in cherry, can you please post a pic or a link.

post #22 of 282 Old 03-05-2006, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post

My current thought is to keep my center channel (Primus C25) and my bookshelves (Studio Monitors SM65's). Then pick up another pair of SM65s if possbile to compelte the surround for the 7.1 setup. And I have hte center channel.

While your plan is economical, your putting your weakest speaker in the most important spot, the Primus C25. Its a nice 100 dollar center, but its going to sound thin, and the vocals suffer.

Trade that primus in for the C360...and you will never look back.
Theres plenty of people who will buy that C25 off of you, its a great entry level center.
post #23 of 282 Old 03-06-2006, 07:46 PM

If you get screwed by high prices in hong kong by them from out of the country.

The clearer the better
post #24 of 282 Old 03-06-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangedup View Post

I cannot find one picture of Primus in cherry, can you please post a pic or a link.

post #25 of 282 Old 03-07-2006, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, still a lot of love for infinity in this forum. My Alphas are still sounding great. Any word on a new line of Infinity's? The Betas have been around for at least 2 years now it seems.

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

post #26 of 282 Old 03-07-2006, 04:06 PM

Infinity's big move is out with the Preludes=( and in with the Cascades=). I hope some one in St. Louis will carry this line.

WOW, those cherry Primus look great. I wish I would have bought the Betas in cherry.

Rapperkiller- My Beta 360 was the last speaker I bought in my system. I would try a 4.1 system. I think you will be amazed. I am looking now to buying 3 more CSW10s.

post #27 of 282 Old 03-07-2006, 10:16 PM

Pictures of them are just about all I can find.. I can't seem to find the Primus Towers in Cherry
post #28 of 282 Old 03-07-2006, 10:27 PM

Liked: 11
visit Audiogon for awhile, and wait to find a second hand pair of Kappa 8.1s or 9.1s. If you're looking small, then find a pair of Kappa 5.1s. Infinity isn't nearly as good as they used to be. They went downhill in a major way IMHO when they started putting sub amps in all of their flagship speakers and they discontinued the EMIT series tweeters.

- Jehr
post #29 of 282 Old 03-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Re: sub amps in Infinity speakers.

I think Infinity felt that their major competitor in their niche was Definitive Technology who was known for their amplified speakers. I have a pair of Compositions Overture 3s and a pair of Interlude IL-60s so I may be biased. I admit to having never had an Infinity speaker before these. However I do find both speakers to be eminently satisfying with both music and movies. Since most people today buy subs the trend has ended for almost all powered towers. But I do like being able to realistically set the front speakers to "Large".

Greg

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #30 of 282 Old 03-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, that leaves abut a $2,000 budget for audio listening.

look at this...you'll be hard pressed to find better/more for this price:

infinity beta 50 5.1 setup

i've bought from them, and they were prompt and reasonable to deal with.

the price i thought was unbeatable.

Rule #1: You haven't wasted your money...you just haven't spent enough yet.
Rule #2: When in doubt...get both.
Rule #3: No need to invoke malice when stupidity alone suffices.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page