post #181 of 267 Old 04-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengilly
How many of these auditions were done correctly?
A long time ago (~10 years), I wanted to get "real" speakers. I had some 12" 3-way pioneers with a rear panel that was about 1/4" thick and a pair of 2.5" paper cone tweeters. LOL

I went to a local Paradigm dealer, and listened to what was in my pricerange. The salesman steered me to the Titans. I listened, and something was horriblely wrong. I hated them.

Salesman suggested I might get better sound from further up the line. One of the monitor series (about 2x the cost of the Titans) sounded great (different and treated room, with better electronics).

I was horrified that I would need to spend so much to get what I wanted. I carefully looked over the Monitor model that I had liked, and I went back to the room with the titans to see if I could tell what was so different.

Well, it seems that the major difference was that one the Titans was wired with opposite polarity!

I fixed this myself, then started listening again. So much better! Very good, in fact!

I came back a few weeks later to audition seperate amps using the Titans, and walked out from the auditions with a new pair of Titans and the desire to get a Parasound HCA-600 (which I got, and I still have).

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
-Vernon Sanders Law
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 267 Old 05-01-2006, 12:01 AM

If someone had the time, they can make a poll of all negitive feedbacks by using the search tool.
so far:
magnapans = 0
tyler acoustics = 0
boston acoustics, acoustic = 8

Not accurate if you don't read the search threads but, you get my idea.
If someone can finish what I tried to do (if you have nothing else better to do) that would be great.
post #183 of 267 Old 05-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

B&W 801s?
Which ones? I believe they have had 3 different models of the 801. I auditioned the 801D about 5 months ago and it was a great speaker. The dealer had 600 watts per speaker and they friggen rocked. This is exactly why this post is bogus. I think alot of people think if you spend Very big $$$ on a speaker, its going to sound just magical all by themselves. Im sure there are lots of people out there that are totally happy with Bose and Boston also. As a matter of fact I know some. In the right size room set up properly, they can sound good too. My point is i dont think there are many really poor speakers. Its all about set up and how much we can afford, and personal prefference.
post #184 of 267 Old 05-01-2006, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

JM Labs Focal 918 ... beautiful looking, but hardly worth $4,000/pair.
post #185 of 267 Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM

Tested JBL Northridge E60 and E80's. I don't know how to describe their dullness other than dull. Nothing jumped out or impressed. But then again, their probably the cheapest speakers mentioned in this thread.
post #186 of 267 Old 05-01-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrame
Returned SVS 20-39 PCi this week.
Unless you build your own or have something like Tower of Power in your house, that is odd. I have a 16-46+ I am pretty darn hapy with (well, happier if I had another :0

BOYCOTT BEST BUY IN WEST PATERSON, NJ !!!!
post #187 of 267 Old 05-01-2006, 07:26 PM

Never bought something that let me down, but I've listened to stuff and been underwhelmed. The biggest "huh??" moment came from one of the most expen$ive speakers I've heard, the Infinity IRS-b. Heard it at a show driven by Jadis and Carver, never got into them.

Another underwhelming speaker IMO was the WATT/Puppy V (I think V) driven by Rowland stuff. I remember them sounding thin and even a bit bright or shrill.

Stuff I loved but cannot yet buy: Absolutely ANY ATC speaker (the 20s and 50s sound fantastic IMO, especially active). Any version B&W 801, 802, or 805. Proac Response series, especially the 2s. Great stuff there.

I also have a soft spot for Dahlquist DQ-10s and Magnepan MG3as.
post #188 of 267 Old 05-01-2006, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Without doubt one of the worst impulse buys I've ever done in my life - Bose Acoustimass 5. That was 14 years ago mind you and sub sats were scarce. I got conned by the big sound from a small box thing until the ear bleeding manifested. Scary thing is they haven't changed since then.

Second to that was Celestion F35's which were a disappointment because my prior Ditton 44's were so good. (I've still got them, I just can't part with my first quasi high-end purchase in this hobby - $1200 a pair almost twenty years ago.)
post #189 of 267 Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 PM

I'd have to say without fear of error: Infinity PRIMUS 150/250...to me they are just a piece of the C word...

Don't die wondering...
post #190 of 267 Old 05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Dynaudio, all models save the statement piece, the "Evidence". The bass was so distored in any Dyns I demo'd at WCES. The Evidence was acceptable, but they are 80 grand a pair.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #191 of 267 Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Wilson Watt Puppy 8's...I have WP 7's and Sophia 1's and have had WP6's..Also own Watchdog sub...Love all of them...

Demo'd the new WP8 extensively and with the new Euro requirements to remove lead from products and other changes Wilson made (guessing that the lead actually DID SOMETHING GOOD) the WP8 is very disappointing...did not sound nearly as good as the 7's..

Not to mention Wilson changed the materials to meet environmental concerns and saw fit to create a speaker inferior to the model it replaces and justifies a $6k price INCREASE!
post #192 of 267 Old 11-07-2006, 07:03 AM

Liked: 14
OMG it's the thread from hell, and it's baaaaaaack from the dead! :eek:
post #193 of 267 Old 11-07-2006, 08:26 AM

Liked: 16
Just to keep this moving along......

At the time I had my Vandersteen 1b's, a friend had a pair of JBL 3-way towers. On paper the JBL's seemed to have the technical advantage over the 1b's. Three drivers, larger woofer and larger cabinet. He played a familiar piece of music. I thought they were muddy sounding. The highs seemed boosted and the bass was flabby in comparison, and did not even extend as low. I did not want to make him feel bad about his purchase so I just said they sounded fine. Later, he was over my place and once he saw and heard the Vandersteens, he realized he had made a mistake. Live and learn.
post #194 of 267 Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Dali Ikon 1s were quite thin sounding.

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #195 of 267 Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 PM

I think a requirement here should be people list the powering amp source and the media player source as well. This will help provide at least a somewhat accurate portrayal.

Not only are room acoustics going to influence a person's perception intensively, but the setup of the audio is as well. Was an EQ used? What was the bass/treble levels? For example I agree with most that Def Techs are better suited for rock, rap and HT.........BUT and a big BUT is you really need to control the output level of their bass on the speaker itself and your source(s) as well.

Although I agree this is a good intrinsic value thread....IMO its all in the setup and tweaking of the system.
post #196 of 267 Old 11-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

I loved reading over this thread, what a laugh! I want to listen to just about every speaker out there, and from recent experience it probably will not happen. My biggest dissapointment has been the B&M dealers themselves. The lack of inventory, store hours, and expertise has been astonishing.
BTW no listed the svs sat/sub offering, and I haven't seen any used for sale either. I have been noticing a lot of axiom and rockets for resale, nothing scientific mind you just a personal observation, for all I know they are getting bigger and better systems from the same, axiom and rocket (onix).
I can't say that I have been dissappointed until I actually pay for them and they just start bugging me, and that hasn't happened yet. Like I said, look at the speakers owners are wanting to sell and you get a good idea at some bad purchases (not always I admit). I have owned some Kef's (105.2's and 101.1's) for 20yrs and still love them a lot!

Keep us laughing, this thread is great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #197 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 AM

I've never really liked speakers made by any of the Japanese hifi companies, some were really, really bad.

I bought a neighbor's Sony 3 ways for use as my surrounds about 25 years ago, and they were just horrible. Even with the highs cut as much as possible, they had an annoying "edge" to them that made me sell them ASAP. They were very heavy, and had a really excellent real wood finish to them that made them really eye catching, but they really sounded bad. I lucked out and two guys showed up at the same time and they had a short bidding war over them, and I ended up making about a hundred bucks on them.

To me, a lot of speakers are just way too hot on the high end, I know my hearing is much better than most guys my age (50!!), so I'm guessing that it's just me, but some must make any dog in the area miserable.
post #198 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 12:55 AM

Wow, almost all brands of speaker have dissapointed someone. I would be interested if there is a speaker that is never gonna be mentioned here.
post #199 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppt123
Wow, almost all brands of speaker have dissapointed someone. I would be interested if there is a speaker that is never gonna be mentioned here.
thats because we have to factor in our different vertebrate structure, angle of the pinna to face, size, size and thickness of ear drum etc etc. in other words we all hear differently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
post #200 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 05:55 AM

Liked: 16
True, the associated equipment and environment will have an affect on the sound. I had been using a Rotel amp with a NAD integrated amp as a pre-amp, and my friends JBL's were running off of a receiver(don't remember brand, but mass-market type).

I'm sure they would have sounded somewhat better with my electronics, but moving equipment around to try it was not an option. So if you can listen to several speakers using the same room and electronics, do it.
post #201 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppt123
Well, in order to be disappointed by something you have to have reasonable expectations for it to begin with. In this sense, you could say I have never been disappointed by Bose. :D
post #202 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 06:45 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM
Well, in order to be disappointed by something you have to have reasonable expectations for it to begin with. In this sense, you could say I have never been disappointed by Bose. :D
Good point. You won't be disappointed, if you don't expect much from a product. :D
post #203 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 AM

Ugg, I have to hear it when ever I go to my friend's house. What junk. He has the 1-2-3 I believe and the dvd/"receiver" also sucks horribly.

I have sound equipment.
post #204 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs
Good point. You won't be disappointed, if you don't expect much from a product. :D
A friend of mine used to say, "Lower your expectations, and you'll never be disappointed." It was a credo that he lived... ;)

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #205 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

My most dissapointing speakers I've heard are:

B&W 800d,very lean sounding in the midbass,and the dynamics arent that great,soundtage width could've been better.I've been hearing them quite often since they were the 800s,and Im yet to be totally impressed with them.

B&W 802,I liked the warmth,but the midbass was very bloated,and the sounstaging was very dissapointing.

Dynaudio Contour series all of them had this boxy character that is just unexceptable for speakers in their pricerange,they sounded very congested and dull.

JM Lab Colbalt 816S ,they were extremely bright I owned speaker for about a month,and then I got rid of them,they are brighter than any Klipsch I've heard,and they had a serious lack lowermidrange weight,and they would never image right because the tweeter stood out so much.

Martin Logans I have yet to hear 1,that i,ve liked.

Paradigm Monitor 11s just simply a horrible speaker,with poor driver intergration,with boomy bass and shrill highs,a absolutely deplorable sound for a speaker at that price,as bad as the Monitor line is,its by far the worse,and one of the worst speakers I've ever heard,not including all the junk speakers.

Axiom M22,just plain bright boomy and congested,they play loud,thats about it though they will make you go deaf in the process.

Ascend 340SE,with all the hype surrounding this speaker,I really expected more,but I was dissapointed mainly because it just wasnt very musical,it was very detailed,something was just missing,they had poor sounstaging depth,they were very foward in the midrange and a little bright on top,and could never live with this speakers weak bass.A decent speaker but by no means a class dominator.
post #206 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb
My most dissapointing speakers I've heard are:...
Interesting that you have been disappointed by so many speakers that many other people like (and in some cases like a lot.) This seems especially odd in light of the fact that all of the speakers you listed are better than both the Infinity Beta 20's and the Wharfedale Diamonds. :D
post #207 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 08:21 AM

Better to whom?

This is opinion, not facts.

I have sound equipment.
post #208 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu8088
thats because we have to factor in our different vertebrate structure, angle of the pinna to face, size, size and thickness of ear drum etc etc. in other words we all hear differently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear
I think those variables have rather less significance than taste in music and environmental acoustics. BTW, that Wikipedia article is riddled with little errors.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #209 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM
This seems especially odd in light of the fact that all of the speakers you listed are better than both the Infinity Beta 20's and the Wharfedale Diamonds. :D
This argument is illogical. Disappointment is based upon one's initial expectations regarding a given product. Apparently the B&W's (are those someone's favorite speaker?) didn't perform up to his expectations. This determination is independent of whether a given B&W speaker is subjectively better than an Infinity Beta 20 or Wharfedale Diamond.
post #210 of 267 Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8ion
This argument is illogical. Disappointment is based upon one's initial expectations regarding a given product. Apparently the B&W's (are those someone's favorite speaker?) didn't perform up to his expectations. This determination is independent of whether a given B&W speaker is subjectively better than an Infinity Beta 20 or Wharfedale Diamond.
I was picking on those particular speakers because they are the ones he owns. He bites, I bite back. :rolleyes:
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page