What Speakers Disappointed You? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you ever bought speakers that had great reviews, had high expectations, you liked the sound when you demoed the speakers (or bought just because of the reviews and other recommendations, but got them home and were very disappointed?

What are some of your most disappointing speakers you've purchased that you had high expectations when you boutht them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Klipsch was one speaker I never liked due to the horn tweeters that make my ears hurt at high volumes,I feel a speaker made by such a renowned company should sound smooth and not harsh like they are, I guess it's an aquired taste. Lou
post #3 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never brought home speakers that disappointed me.

I have auditioned some that disappointed me ... most notably Dunlavy Audio Labs SCIV, and JM Labs (forget the model ... some $4k floorstanders). B&W didn't excite me very much. All were so highly praised and the auditioning experience was very much not worthy of praise.
post #4 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I didn't buy them, but I was extremely unimpressed in both my auditions of the Gallo Ref 3's. No bass, boxy mids. I didn't get it. The owner of one place was going on and on as we listened, so I assume I was hearing what was intended. I really wanted to like them, too.
I've not been impressed much at the hifi shows I've been to, but that's to be expected.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #5 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Def Tech, Infinity, low end Polk, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, KLH, Logitech Z (PC Speakers), B&W, Bang & Olufsen, MTX, Bose, AR, MB Quart, Advent, Cerwin Vega, Harman Kardon, Sony, white van and ebay specials (any tower that's 42" tall and weighs 23lbs. with a side firing powered woofer), in-walls, and Kenwood.

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #6 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I'll throw out another vote for the Gallos. I didn't get a chance to hear the Ref 3s, but I spent some time with the Dues, since that's all the dealer had in the showroom at that time. I thought they had a nice sense of air about them, but that was it. I didn't find they to be anything particularly special. This was even with the bass module thing (a total piece of crap, if you ask me) engaged. I thought for $600 they were an okay value.....then the guy told me they were actaully $1200/pr....$600 each! I'm sorry, but I can come with better sound for my $1200 than those things.
post #7 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Biggest audition disappointment for me were Thiels (don't remember which one but at least a mid-level model). The speaker sounded muffled and dull. I had always heard good things about them but was immediately turned off.

post #8 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

BA VR2s. Bought them for secondary room in basement for TV, game room after hearing good things about them from this forum. Thought they would be much better than what they actually are. Some here were very impressed with these speakers. and for the room they were going into I thought I would even be able to enjoy every now and then, NOPE, couldve saved money and bought any cheap speaker and been just as well off. Waste of money, my son who is 13 enjoys his sony dreamsystem better than these, and I cant argue with his comparison.
post #9 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
I have never purchased a speaker that I have been unimpressed with, but I have auditioned some. A few of them are Wilson Audio Sophia’s and Watt Puppies, B&W 7 series (too bright), and Martin Logan (don't remember the model but they were 10K/pair). The Wilson’s were absolutely dreadful, and then when I checked the measurements to confirm what I was hearing, I was dead on. The B&W's were the best of the bunch, but a little shrill. The Martin Logan's midrange sounded nasally and fake. I was very disappointed with the Wilson's and Martin Logan, and somewhat with the B&W’s.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #10 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 02:28 PM

I have been going to listen to a lot of different speakers lately, the Mirage OM-5's are terrible, and that's their flagship. KEF are also bad, all of them. I listened to NHT last week and they were pretty unimpressive also. The worst out there for the price, has to be Definitive tech's offerings. I cant believe what they charge for their stuff.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
Ronald Reagan
post #11 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never actually bought anything disappointing.....disappointing auditions included:

*Klipsch -- any model, it didn't matter, they all sounded like horns to me (not a compliment)

*KEF -- several different models, all harsh and bright

*Martin Logans -- not sure what model, but they were upper 4-figures/pair. Not sure what I didn't like about them, but it was something.

*Wilson Watt Puppys...version VII I believe.....sounded like they measure....

*Talon Khorus -- actually sounded good but EVERYTHING also sounded the same on them....not aware of what the coloration was but it was profound

*Vandersteen Model 5 -- it must have been the setup/acoustics or recordings, because these things sounded muffled and dead, with a small soundstage. I doubt these truly sound anything like what I heard, so I'd like to listen to these again in a different room with my own material.

Obviously, list doesn't include any number of crap JBL, Cerwin Vega, or Bose that I've casually listened too.
post #12 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it's possible to be disappointed with CV, Bose, JBL, Klipsch, Polk, etc. I mean, do you ever have high expectations of them?
post #13 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Focal....bigtime.
post #14 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Someone PLEASE say "Triad" so I can rip out your esophagus!!

Kidding.

Please, in the spirit of fairness, before you throw a manufacturer under the bus, did you use pristine demo material and was it in a good sounding room? I just want to make sure everyone gets a fair shake. Make sure the sound you heard that was poopie was not because of the room or the program material.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #15 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Worst speakers I ever owned were some Acoustic Research towers I bought in the late 80's at about $1.5K. They produced prodigious bass, but gawd, they highs were brittle, they had absolutely no depth, no imaging, totally flat soundstage. And no, it was not a room acoustics issue, since I tried them in the same room as the baby Magnepans I used in my main system. I was going to use the AR's for movies. The AR's had a 4-way driver design with a complicated X-over, and adjustable tweeter attentunators, which I turned to the max and still had ear bleed. Sold those at a huge loss and learned a hard lesson, not to buy speakers without auditioning them first.

Next in line were mid-line DefTech center and surrounds. For all the hoopla surrounding DefTechs, I was seriously disappointed. Those now collect dust.

ss9001

Steve
post #16 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli

Paul Scarpelli
Director of Sales & Marketing, Triad Speakers, Inc.
I think Paul likes to use the "strong arm" technique in selling lol.
post #17 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStreet
I think Paul likes to use the "strong arm" technique in selling lol.
And.... TRIAD is so unnervingly (is that a word?) close to TRIAGE.... where those that dare say NO to him end up. :eek:

Just kidding of course Paul....

:D

John W.
Indy
post #18 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I concur with the B & W auditions. I went in with very "HIGH EXPECTATIONS" and for the most part left feeling very dissapointed in the CDM's, 600's and 700's.

Granted they were all lined up in a "typical" speaker room, un treated and poorly laid out in an A/B/C C/B/A fashion. When I suggested to the dealer that he would probably be better served with an A/B/C A/B/C type of arrangement, he became fairly aggitated that I would have the "audacity" to question them since they WERE after all, very experienced with the brand and knew what they were doing, so I left.

:rolleyes:

John W.
Indy
post #19 of 267 Old 02-24-2006, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd say that we shouldn't pass judgement harshly on a model that we may have heard without an understanding of how it was hooked-up, set-up , and what other speakers sounded like in the same situation. When I get a bad demo or two off of well appreciated speakers, I try them on for size a few more times just to check.
That being said, I'm going to give the following a few more times to make me feel impressed but so far they haven't:
Newer Snell
Newer Theil
Lower end BA's
Lower end Klipsch (OK , even the new refs)
Lower end Polks
Newer Mirage

BRANDS that I don't need to listen to any more:
Klh
Bose
Bic
Dogg Digital :)
JBL
Cerwin Vega
newer energy's
Wharfdale

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #20 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 12:29 AM

Liked: 15
Wilson

Linn
post #21 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefan
Def Tech, Infinity, low end Polk, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, KLH, Logitech Z (PC Speakers), B&W, Bang & Olufsen, MTX, Bose, AR, MB Quart, Advent, Cerwin Vega, Harman Kardon, Sony, white van and ebay specials (any tower that's 42" tall and weighs 23lbs. with a side firing powered woofer), in-walls, and Kenwood.
You didn't list the speakers in a typical 27" 4:3 SD TV. Hmmm.......
post #22 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 04:11 AM

Haha you ready for this:

SVS PB12-ISD.
Klipsch Sub-12

Both were returned within a week. The SVS was underpowered and the Klipsch needed a lower tuning fq for HT.

one thing i would like to say.. why are there so many Klipsch haters? Many Klipsch speakers kick ass. you cant argue with a speaker that does 100dB with only 2.3 volts of electric potential.
post #23 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by [LMS]007
Haha you ready for this:

SVS PB12-ISD.
Klipsch Sub-12

Both were returned within a week. The SVS was underpowered and the Klipsch needed a lower tuning fq for HT.

one thing i would like to say.. why are there so many Klipsch haters? Many Klipsch speakers kick ass. you cant argue with a speaker that does 100dB with only 2.3 volts of electric potential.

How do you figure that the SVS PB-12/ISD is underpowered?? I have a PCU, and in NO way can I even consider it "underpowered". Seems like SVS does a wonderful job matching amps to their subs, you are the only one I've ever hear of complaining.
post #24 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LMS]007
Haha you ready for this:

SVS PB12-ISD.
Klipsch Sub-12

I agree! I have Klipsch Reference and love them. I also agree with Paul who previously questioned source, material, and the environment. This thread will certainly raise the ire of many. But again, all just opinions...
post #25 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I ordered a set of refurb LCR-750 THX speakers directly from M&K at a really great price. I demoed them for about a week. I currently own Ascend 340 classics. I was looking for something that a deeper and wider soundstage. The M&K definitely had a wide soundstage but depth was about the same as the Ascends. However, the M&Ks where a bit sibilant in the upper midrange, just bordering on harsh. The 750 had tighter bass but leaner than the Ascends. I really liked the MKs appearance and compact size but I was not statisfied with sound.
post #26 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Linns I have heard sound good.
M&K's are not my cup of tea for music.
Wilson's are hit or miss as well (but out of my range).

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #27 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Single driver speakers.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #28 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffK987
You didn't list the speakers in a typical 27" 4:3 SD TV. Hmmm.......
LOL. Yes I did - most sets use Pioneer drivers. I've taken enough of them apart to sadly know this. :o

Interestingly enough, I'm helping a friend build some towers, and we've come across some very impressive drivers. Hi-Vi Research has some outstanding drivers. These are the same ones used in the Swan speakers. Their fabric dome mids and tweeters are impressive.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&webpage_id=136

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #29 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:

Kidding.
LOL!

Quote:
Please, in the spirit of fairness, before you throw a manufacturer under the bus, did you use pristine demo material and was it in a good sounding room? I just want to make sure everyone gets a fair shake. Make sure the sound you heard that was poopie was not because of the room or the program material.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program...
Yes sir, everything was fairly decent, although some of the rooms were not treated.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #30 of 267 Old 02-25-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Let me throw out (for discussion, not a disappointment) Paradigm, maybe specifcally Monitor and Studio series. I do have to say that I did not see a $700 difference between Studio 60's and the 100's . Is that a disappointment in the 100's? Maybe. Monitor 11's GREATLY EXCEEDED my expectations, for the price. OMG
Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page