Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 1707 Old 09-11-2009, 09:56 AM
TW1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When removing the woofer cover it with a heavy peice of cardbord (cover the rubber surround) leaving the glued edge exposed. Use a heat gun soften the glue and remove it also there are some mounting screws inbeded in there. The tops are mounted with hot melt glue with a couple of locating dowels.You would need to remove the glue around the edges to get some sort of flat plate between the two layers of particle board to break the glue joint. Here is the link for the tweeter. http://www.mfbfreaks.nl/artikel/pass...s/image17.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1707 Old 09-25-2009, 04:26 PM

Well Ive decided to leave well enough alone. One of the woofers had a buzz in it (probably why the previous owner dumped them) and I determined it was only the plastic dust cap vibrating. I re-glued it lightly around the edge where it meets the cone and its fixed.

Wow do these old ugly things sound good! Im using them in my small listening room and they produce the biggest soundstage Ive heard in this room. No sub needed too. And they are so easy to drive. So Im not going to dismantle them and just re-veneer the tops and put new grill cloth around them for now.

Thanks for the info...
post #453 of 1707 Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM

Anybody familiar with the QED model from DCM. I do not even see it listed in the manuals section of DCM?

Thanks
post #454 of 1707 Old 10-16-2009, 02:24 PM

I've owned the cx27 for 15 yrs - as a classically trained musician I appreciate the accuracy and quality. I remember going in to the listening room at Circuit City to purchase my first ever set of speakers- I brought the Telarc recording of Frederick Fennell and the Cleveland Symphonic Winds and asked the salesman to put in the CD on track 3 the 3rd mvt of Holst's First Suite in Eb for Military Band (incidentally this is one of the best symphonic recordings ever). The reproduction of the sounds were incredible and it totally handled the thunderous bass drum. The DCM beat out speakers costing much more. I've been enjoying them ever since. I just set up a home recording studio and these are now serving as my monitor speakers.

You can hear every little detail!! I just listened to a classical guitar CD by Eliot Fisk on the DCM which I've heard several times on a Bose and never heard someone audibly snoring. Long recording session I guess. Incredible that the snoring somehow passed the recording engineer- didn't come through on their monitor or maybe they just didn't care. The track is Estrellita by Ponce recorded by EMI.

The problem I have is the tweeter on one of the speakers has not worked for awhile. I heard on this forum that the replacement that DCM suggests from partsexpress 264-840 is not recommended by Steve. Is there any other way to get a decent replacement? I could always try to purchase a used cx and cannibalize it.
post #455 of 1707 Old 10-18-2009, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Your best bet is to watch Ebay. The tweeter was used in the CX-07, 17, 27, TF 600 and maybe more. You can usually find them for less than $10.00.

Here's one, but a little high.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DCM-Monitor-Seri...item43985aca3a
post #456 of 1707 Old 10-28-2009, 02:57 AM

Finally!
Got them! I'm done!
The legendary DCM Time Window Seven!

any suggestions for buying a new receiver/amplifier?

Cheers!

Jeromey
post #457 of 1707 Old 10-28-2009, 05:22 AM

Welcome to the club of less that 200 members.
post #458 of 1707 Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 AM

SWEET!! Congrats on the Sevens, Jeromey; you're going to love'em!
That's a great pic of them, by the way.
I would try to get some decent used separates to drive them. "High Current" amps (amps that come close to doubling power when impedances drop in half) do wonders for the Sevens. I'm driving mine with a Classe' SSP-75 pre/pro and a Carver Lightstar Reference amp and I couldn't be happier.

dtrobison, I would check the "light-bulb" fuse to make sure it's not blown; the tweeter might be OK. If it's the fuse, you can jump it with a wire. Those light-bulb fuses can burn out over time and as long as you play the speakers within their limit (before they audibly distort), you really don't need them. The only thing is; if it is the fuse and you jump it, you must jump the fuse in the other speaker as well because the treble level will be bumped up just a tad (you should also hear a touch more detail from the removal of these fuses).
post #459 of 1707 Old 10-29-2009, 05:57 AM

Last I check, the fuses are still available from DCM. They are an intricate part of the design and if bypassed will affect the sound like argenco said.
post #460 of 1707 Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Thanks fella's for reacting!
Well, i must admit i'm a Sony-fan but i suspect the DCM's outgrow this brand.
Argenco, your amp setup is even rarer than the Sevens! But from what i've read it must be heaven! And i would like to use the 7's also for Hometheater with current technology. I have been sniffing on Denon for that. http://crave.cnet.co.uk/homecinema/0...9295976,00.htm
I also bumped into THIS
Thnks in advance!

Jeormey
post #461 of 1707 Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromey View Post

Finally!
Got them! I'm done!
The legendary DCM Time Window Seven!

any suggestions for buying a new receiver/amplifier?

Cheers!

Jeromey

That just gave me a serious broner, I'm sorry, can't put it any different.
Congrats on the awesome speakers.
post #462 of 1707 Old 11-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromey View Post

Thanks fella's for reacting!
Well, i must admit i'm a Sony-fan but i suspect the DCM's outgrow this brand.
Argenco, your amp setup is even rarer than the Sevens! But from what i've read it must be heaven! And i would like to use the 7's also for Hometheater with current technology. I have been sniffing on Denon for that.
Thnks in advance!

Jeormey

Yeah, those Lightstars are very rare; they only made 100 of those amps - and I'm lucky enough to have three of them. They blend very well with all my speakers. In fact, I actually prefer the bass of the Lightstar-powered Sevens over the pair of Von Schweikert subs that I'm now using for my surrounds and LFE/.1.

The flagship Denon pieces are very nice and I'm sure they'll do well with the Sevens. That new pre/pro has everything in it - and the internals are packed with high quality parts. You tend to get a lot more bang for your buck with established Asian brands like Denon. Whether you go for the Denon setup or some other high end separates, make sure the pre/pro you choose offers decoding for the new lossless audio codecs and/or 5.1 (or higher) inputs. If you can get some good electronics to power the Sevens, you'll be in for a real treat!
post #463 of 1707 Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Hello all,
I've been following all of your comments relating to the Time Window series. Now I need your help/wisdom. I found a set of cabinets (thrift shop) that I think are TW1 or are possibly someones clones (in which case I don't want them). Anything I can use for verification before I potentially waste my time with these? One thing that caught my attention was the front panel angle appeared too sharp. Not as sharp an angle as my AL1 but not as wide as the photos on this forum appear. These gutted cabinets may not be worth my time since all 4 woofers are missing.

Thanks.

-T
post #464 of 1707 Old 11-09-2009, 01:47 PM

[quote=Jamie Hauser;17375388]Your best bet is to watch Ebay. The tweeter was used in the CX-07, 17, 27, TF 600 and maybe more. You can usually find them for less than $10.00.

Hmmm, to me that tweeter looks a heck of a lot like the inexpensive series of Audax mylar tweeters first introduced in the late 80's.

-T
post #465 of 1707 Old 11-09-2009, 04:15 PM

[quote=teknofossil;17503982]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hauser View Post

Your best bet is to watch Ebay. The tweeter was used in the CX-07, 17, 27, TF 600 and maybe more. You can usually find them for less than $10.00.

Hmmm, to me that tweeter looks a heck of a lot like the inexpensive series of Audax mylar tweeters first introduced in the late 80's.

-T

It may look like it but it's not the same. I don't know what vender made that tweeter for DCM but they were made to DCM's specs. One thing that I know of is the ferrofluid's viscosity is thinner than normal for better response and the difference in dampening was dealt with in the crossover. I think Steve told me that they also used a special coating on the domes. The TimeWindow 7's tweeter (also custom) looks like that also but they are diamond coated and aren't cheap. Needless to say, using any other tweeter will alter the sound.
post #466 of 1707 Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM

My dad recently changed the front firing tweeters of his timeframe V8.0's with a pair of those TW7 tweeters.
I told him we'd need to adjust the crossovers, but figured that we'd settle for the stock crossovers for a while, just to have two fully working speakers again, and then later on upgrade the crossovers.

After giving them a go we decided that they sound great this way, a bit brighter than the original (I guess those TW7 tweets are more sensitive) but still great sounding.

I still have a pair of TW7 tweeters laying around, and I still want to use them to build a couple of Timeframe/timewindow clones. Still on the lookout for some worn out Cx17's and such for those wonderful 6,5" units.
post #467 of 1707 Old 12-13-2009, 06:14 PM

Just found this forum and wanted to say I have had a pair of DCM Time Windows from the late 70's and they still are amazing! I have them in a separate room for my stereo music and have Aperion 5.1 for surround music. Time Windows still rock after all these years!
post #468 of 1707 Old 12-31-2009, 07:25 AM

Hi All,

We got my Dad a Peachtree Nova and some new covers from McMaster for Christmas to encourage him to resurrect his circa 1980 TimeWindows from the basement (where they were sadly unused!). The McMaster covers went on beautifully and everything sounded great, really amazing, until a humming/distorted sound problem popped up in the midrange driver of one of the speakers. (ugh!). any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix this problem?

many thanks in advance.

jimmy
post #469 of 1707 Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Reposting here at the suggestion of another member:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryhnd View Post

Sigh, I guess these are considered vintage?

My wife now...then live-in-gf-soon-to-be-fiance...bought them for me in 1991 or 92. I love 'em. Great sound from such a thin package. But I digress.

One of them has developed a cracked terminal plate where the molded bump for the pushbuttons extends. This results in a somewhat, um, "farty" bass response.

The terminal plate is rather large consider it only has the two pushbuttons. Probably on the order of 6"x4". Perhaps a biamped version was available?

I'm not experienced in speaker repair specifically (although I am handy in the woodshop and with electronics) so I don't want to simply buy a standard (but smaller) replacement terminal plate and bridge the gap with MDF.

Why? I presume that would ruin any value the speakers might have (I stress the if any as I am not familiar with their vintage market value), but more importantly I don't want to compromise their sound.

Any thoughts, advise or taunts?

post #470 of 1707 Old 02-01-2010, 01:59 PM

These DCM parts are getting really tough to find. Like Gryhnd, I also has a problem with the speaker terminal "cup" although my problem was with the earlier spring loaded speaker terminal. They do not have the larger 4X 6 cups anymore but do have a smaller one. I am having problems finding replacement midrange speakers for my TF 700's. They use the square plastic framed drivers that are 4" X 4" overall but the actual driver is really only 3". Any idea where I can find a good sounding replacement?
post #471 of 1707 Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Reposting here at the suggestion of another member:

Bump....before I go off and try something on my own and screw it up ;-)
post #472 of 1707 Old 02-05-2010, 12:28 PM

Can ypu post some pictures of the damage?
post #473 of 1707 Old 02-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks for pitching in, Jamie.

Attached. This is the left speaker.

FWIW, I really dislike the spring clips, so whatever I do (or is recommended) I'd like to go the route of binding posts.

The right speaker is not busted in this way, but I would probably change/repair both terminal cups at the same time.

(apparently I need to dust inside the cups more often )
LL
LL
post #474 of 1707 Old 02-05-2010, 05:52 PM
TW1

Here is one that might fit and you could mount different terminals in, but it is out of stock. http://www.speakerworks.com/blank_te...cup_p/btc1.htm
You probally should remove the terminal cup and check if the crossover is mounted there and it is not damage.
post #475 of 1707 Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Are the KX10 DCM speakers any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #476 of 1707 Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks for pitching in, Jamie.

Attached. This is the left speaker.

FWIW, I really dislike the spring clips, so whatever I do (or is recommended) I'd like to go the route of binding posts.

The right speaker is not busted in this way, but I would probably change/repair both terminal cups at the same time.

(apparently I need to dust inside the cups more often )

That's really FUBAR. How did you do that! Just kidding, I hate to press you but I assuming the crossover board is mounted on the other side. Can you post photos of the other side? My first impression would be to use a CA glue to reassemble what you have, I can't imagined why it would cause a "farty" bass response. The spring clip is a simple connection and should not have been affected by the damage. I'm like you and prefer binding post. You might want to consider removing the spring posts and fabricating an insert to the existing cup so that you can mount Vampire? binding post.
post #477 of 1707 Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hauser View Post

That's really FUBAR. How did you do that! Just kidding, I hate to press you but I assuming the crossover board is mounted on the other side. Can you post photos of the other side? My first impression would be to use a CA glue to reassemble what you have, I can't imagined why it would cause a "farty" bass response. The spring clip is a simple connection and should not have been affected by the damage. I'm like you and prefer binding post. You might want to consider removing the spring posts and fabricating an insert to the existing cup so that you can mount Vampire? binding post.

Thanks Jamie,

No idea how it happened. But, there's always kids' horseplay, dogs etc. I suspect someone knocked it into the wall. I've got some pretty stiff speaker wire back there.

The "farty" bass response means the sound of air 'buffing' (onomatopoeia) out the cracks in the cup during particularly low and quick bass notes.

I've yet to pull the cup off, and because of our huge Superbowl bash here tomorrow I likely won't get a chance to until next week. Will repost as soon as I can.

I gather it's not unusual for DCM to mount the crossover on the back of the terminal plate, eh?

Thanks again.
post #478 of 1707 Old 02-06-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW1 View Post

Here is one that might fit and you could mount different terminals in, but it is out of stock. http://www.speakerworks.com/blank_te...cup_p/btc1.htm
You probally should remove the terminal cup and check if the crossover is mounted there and it is not damage.

Oh, very nice find. I'll have to try and hit them up for a back order.
post #479 of 1707 Old 03-06-2010, 04:31 AM

HI guys! Norway calling... I'm on to a set of DCM Seven-haven't audited them as of yet..Anything Particular I need to pay extra attention to?? (said to work 100% nothing touched or tweaked)
waiting for confirmation they are a genuinely mirrored pair.....

My DCM-"collection"now consists of the QED/TW1/Marcophone/HalfTime/TimePiece/TW3/TF600/TF700 so the Seven's would be THE Real wholy grale and a superb asset I think..

Can't wait 'till this reched snow is gone so I can get a pair out on the terrace-There's NO better place to get the Full potential out of these speakers than outdoors No room-resonances/reflections etc.
-Even my neighbours love them!! c",)

Only drawback is they tend to keep me up into the wee hours of morning-still connected to my old trustworthy Onkyo M-510 which seems to pull the last iota out of these lovely speakers! -R.
post #480 of 1707 Old 03-06-2010, 02:47 PM

wow, awesome. can you give any insight as to how the TW1 (which we have) compares to the TF series, TW7, and QED?

jim
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page