Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 1666 Old 05-07-2014, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hauser View Post

I believe you are correct sir. I looked through some old correspondences with Steve because I know we talked about it. It must have been verbal, he was helping me with setting up as system for someone here in this thread.

Here's a diagram that I posted:
(Post #1086)

From what's shown, you can see the sweet spot for the TF600. You should only toe-in if the combination of speaker placement and listening position takes you out of that sweet spot.
Thanks Jamie, and for the legwork Mr. B!!
That was actually for my setup. I had forgotton the subset picture.about the 600 sweet spot.
Once again, very good information.
Glad to see you still around also, Mr. Hauser. The information you have given over the years is indeed priceless.
Zoom

It's not how loud you can make it, it's how much of it you can make loud. -Max Headroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1666 Old 05-07-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They should be all for the woofer. Also with out looking at the schematic, I would assume the inductor is the low pass filter, the one cap in series with the resistor a Zobel impedance compensation circuit, and the other cap is for a 180 degree phase shift. I'm just making a SWAG mind you and yes you should change all the caps.

And Zoomin600, you're welcome.
post #1653 of 1666 Old 05-08-2014, 07:44 AM

Thanks Jamie, Mr. Bubbles and baco for your help! I looked up Zobel circuit and learned something today. Guess the 8" woofer has a voice coil that needs compensation, so I'll pull those caps too. After I finish recapping I'll let y'all know if there seems to be an improvement in the sound. Also recapping my v6.0's that I use as rears, and my friend's 600's. They'll be a lot easier since they only have 1 cap per speaker!
post #1654 of 1666 Old 06-05-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Picked up another pair of TF600's over the weekend. The first pair I've come across that all of the tweets still worked fine. Overall in good condition. Not perfect by any means but much better than most. This model just never ceases to impress me.

DCM: TW1, TW3, QED, QED1a, TFV8.0, TF1000, (3pr) TF600, Time Piece, (3pr) CX27, (3+pr) CX17, (3pr) CX07, CX Center.
Polk: RTA12, SDA1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS, SDA SRS 1.2TL, 5Jr., Monitor 5, Atrium (2pr).
post #1655 of 1666 Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 PM

Liked: 0
Time Window 2 (squared)

I've been reading this forum for a couple of years now. In fact, I've read it in its entirety twice. I was first introduced to DCM when I picked up a pair of QEDs at a garage sale a couple years ago. I'll never forget setting those up in the backroom of my garage and hearing them for the first time! I had been bitten by the DCM bug and there was no going back! Of course, you all already know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyway, let me get to the point. I was recently fortunate (very) to acquire a pair of TW2s; which until now, I had never even known existed. And, I don't recall reading anything about them here either. So, I'm looking for some info on them. Where do they fall in the Time Window timeline, etc. Most importantly though; they are mirror images of each other, so there is certainly a left and right unit. The trouble is, there are no indications anywhere on them to indicate which is which. To make matters worse, the coaxially mounted mids and tweeters are enclosed in a top cabinet, separate from the bottom, which houses the woofers. I can easily extrapolate the correct sides for the lower cabinets from a pair of TW3s I have (bass ports outboard). The upper cabinet just sets on top of the lower cabinet. A short "jumper" cable connects the two. So this means you could easily place the upper cabinets on the wrong lower cabinets AND on the wrong side too! The factory Model Number/Serial Number tag is on the bottom of the upper cabinets, but again, they do not indicate which is left or right. It doesn't make sense they aren't marked! If anyone (probably Jamie???) knows anything about these TW2s, I'd sure appreciate some insight.
post #1656 of 1666 Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 AM

I delt with a guy in Chicago a year or so ago with a pair of those. i tried really hard to work out a deal to get them but the guy was.... well lets just say a little different and the hole thing was a major waste of my time. Anyway, congrats on the aquisition and hope you figure them out and enjoy them. Very rare pair of speakers. Would love to heart a pair one day.

DCM: TW1, TW3, QED, QED1a, TFV8.0, TF1000, (3pr) TF600, Time Piece, (3pr) CX27, (3+pr) CX17, (3pr) CX07, CX Center.
Polk: RTA12, SDA1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS, SDA SRS 1.2TL, 5Jr., Monitor 5, Atrium (2pr).
post #1657 of 1666 Old 06-18-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post
I delt with a guy in Chicago a year or so ago with a pair of those. i tried really hard to work out a deal to get them but the guy was.... well lets just say a little different and the hole thing was a major waste of my time. Anyway, congrats on the aquisition and hope you figure them out and enjoy them. Very rare pair of speakers. Would love to heart a pair one day.
Mr Bubbles, You have quite an impressive list of speakers! Since you have a pair of TW3s; I'd like to know if the bass ports are supposed to be positioned inboard or outboard, and also, which side are the even and odd serial numbers on? I removed my labels in preparation for restoration quite some time ago, and can't seem to locate my notes. Thanks.
post #1658 of 1666 Old 06-19-2014, 05:39 AM

I appologize, my TW3's are stored currently and I am unable to get to them easily. Maybe someone else that can help will chime in.

post #1659 of 1666 Old 06-19-2014, 11:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhifiman View Post
Mr Bubbles, You have quite an impressive list of speakers! Since you have a pair of TW3s; I'd like to know if the bass ports are supposed to be positioned inboard or outboard, and also, which side are the even and odd serial numbers on? I removed my labels in preparation for restoration quite some time ago, and can't seem to locate my notes. Thanks.
HiFiMan - I can confirm that they are on the outboard side. If you want to read something funny look at my post #1290 on pg 43. I was chasing issues with my TW3's for months until I thought about the ports.

Here's a few links of things related to the TW^2's. I don't know anything about them but maybe some of the people in the links can help you.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=503326
RARE! Time Windows squared! drawn-out story and pics inside!
post #1660 of 1666 Old 06-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post
Thanks -- Had my TW1s up and running, with a DCM Sub-712, for about a year now. Considering the age of the TW1s (about 36 years) and the fact that none of the drivers have been messed with, and I even have the original Big Black Sponge grill cloth -- the guy in St.Louis I bought them from REALLY took care of them -- they still sound great. Of course, at 65, my range of hearing is probably 100Hz to 12KHz, but the subwoofer makes my dog think there's a thunderstorm coming, so he hides under the bed. Good luck!

Bart Brown
post #1661 of 1666 Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTW3 View Post
HiFiMan - I can confirm that they are on the outboard side. If you want to read something funny look at my post #1290 on pg 43. I was chasing issues with my TW3's for months until I thought about the ports.

Here's a few links of things related to the TW^2's. I don't know anything about them but maybe some of the people in the links can help you.

Ha! I remember that one, Tony......
So, Mr. B!! You found another pair of 600s? I just finished reconditioning my second pair after an extended leave.
I still think we need to experiment with two front pairs.
If you set two left speakers side by side, what would you think about covering or disconnecting the rear tweeters that fire at each other, and use two lefts and two rights for fronts?

It's not how loud you can make it, it's how much of it you can make loud. -Max Headroom
post #1662 of 1666 Old 06-20-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTW3 View Post

Thanks TonyTW3! The links were helpful too; one i'd seen before, the other I hadn't. Your story sounds like some of my experiences in the past. It seem no matter how carefully you proceed through an issue, you often miss the obvious. I usually work on puzzling problems over a long period of time and do a lot of spare time thinking between sessions. I could still use a confirmation on which serial number (odd or even) belongs on which side of the TW3s. I've always "heard" odd is left. I removed my labels and lost my notes on what label goes where. The trouble is the arrows are not on the same label as the serial number, so one can't be sure which serial number belongs on which speaker. You may not be the best one to ask though, since your labels were possibly mixed up at the factory. But, If you know for sure, let me know. Or anyone else that knows for sure??? Thanks again.
post #1663 of 1666 Old 06-20-2014, 09:01 PM

A bit more info; with the TW3s ports facing outboard as they should. With the 3 adjustment pots at the top all set to their mid positions, the inboard speakers (direct sound field) play unmistakably higher in frequency than the outboards (ambient sound field). Setting up the TW2s the same way; lower cabinet ports to the outside and head cabinets positioned on the L and R lower cabinets so that the direct sound field speakers (higher frequency) face inward, results in the even serial number being on the left and the odd on the right. That's opposite of what we usually hear; "the odd serial number belongs on the left". Another source of confusion. This still leaves me wondering how you positively determine which head cabinet belongs on which side.
post #1664 of 1666 Old 06-24-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin600 View Post
Ha! I remember that one, Tony......
So, Mr. B!! You found another pair of 600s? I just finished reconditioning my second pair after an extended leave.
I still think we need to experiment with two front pairs.
If you set two left speakers side by side, what would you think about covering or disconnecting the rear tweeters that fire at each other, and use two lefts and two rights for fronts?
Yup,
Unfortunately i haven't had time to play with them yet with so may other things going on at home. They were a thrift store find and the price was right.

In my mind i can't see two fron tpair working well for music. maybe movies. I guess it would depend a lot on spacing toein/out, possibly even using a left as an outboard right and right as outboard left, rear firing tweets and prob many other things I haven't thought about so far. may give it a shot one day. Right now most of my DCM is in storage except the v8.0's as fronts and a pair of CX27s as rears in the main HT rig. I don't have the space right now for the TW's to work properly.

post #1665 of 1666 Old 08-22-2014, 01:03 AM

See this thread is only getting occasional play now. I haven't been around in a while. But I'm still enjoying my plethora of DCM speakers.
post #1666 of 1666 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

I picked up a Surroundscape Center a few weeks ago in Detroit. Soon to start construction on my theater. I think it is going to be an EPIC home theater.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page