Whatever happened to DCM's Steve Eberbach? - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1741 of 1747 Old 06-08-2015, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
I just happened across a pair of TF-2000's serial # 422 and 423 I think. Anyways. Dirt cheap on Facebook. Picked them up and plugged them in to a HK AVR254, and later a Onkyo somthingrather.

They are a bit beat up, the socks was torn several places, faded, ripped and full of dog hair, so I cut it off to check the drivers. They look great! dusty, but good surrounds and all in tact. On lower woofer dust cover was dented in a bit, but seemed ok. All drivers moved freely if gently pressed.

Plugged them in to give them a test...

At low volumes they seemed to have phenomenal staging. Really decent clarity too. I don't know, they sounded big and expensive, right?
As the volume comes up though, the bass just never comes on. No bass. The mids were pushing harder than the woofers. The woofers were ALL functioning, but the output is terribly low.
At high volumes the mids and highs are just absolutely overwhelming. Oh My. Clear, Loud, but no bass still. *Some bass* just not anything CLOSE to what I would expect form this speaker.
My little 5.5" zaphs ZA5's thump harder than these.

Should I just try rebuilding the TF2000 crossovers first before I worry about anything else? The caps have got to be dried up at this age, right?

Aesthetically they aren't in great shape, but the drivers themselves looks fine - I'd like advice before dropping money into these.

If anyone wants pictures, measurements, etc, let me know - I'll be popping the rear covers off in a few weeks when I have some time to get to it.

thanks!
A few possibilities I can think of here;
first, you could be on the right track; something could be going on with the crossover or the like. I would definately check that even though crossover tend to affect bass much less than mid or treble as far as overall perceived output.
Second; check phase, check phase, check phase. Not only on your speaker wires but verify your amp/ receiver outputs for phase as well as internal wiring in the speaker cabinet. this effect bass moreso than percieved output from mids/ tweets.
third. the bass output from these speakers is usually deep and clean but compared to other designs and styles it has little output for bass heads. i went though this myself when i first started listening to vintage DCMs. On tracks that were not bass heavy they always sounded great, but when I was in a bass heavy mood, they would never satisfy. That's just the way it is because of their design. My ears and listening tate developed over time and though i still like more than these speakers can produce at times, i have developed and learned to hear the other things I was missing in the music when i was so focused on the bass.

I love vintage DCM and have an extensive collection. the TF-2000 is not one that i have and would love to own. Not trying to talk you out of them at all. check them out thoroughly and do your best to find out what's going on. You will probably end up loving them , even if it takes a little time. BUT, if you don't and want to get rid of them Please let me know. I would gladly pay you a fair price for them. definatley more than dirt cheap that you got them for.

DCM: TW1, TW3, QED, QED1a, TFV8.0, TF1000, (3pr) TF600, Time Piece, (3pr) CX27, (3+pr) CX17, (3pr) CX07, CX Center.
Polk: RTA12, SDA1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS, SDA SRS 1.2TL, 5Jr., Monitor 5, Atrium (2pr).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1747 Old 06-08-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, great tips. I checked and double checked the speaker leads. Then checked again when we tried a different receiver.
Honestly I only played them for about 15-20 minutes. I REALLY want to enjoy these, especially hearing how rare they are, and how much the tf1000 owners rave about theirs. My math says the tf2000's have to be AT LEAST twice as good as the 1000's Bonus points for naming a product using '2000' before the year 2000, you just can't argue that kind or marketing.

I don't think my expectations are too high for the performance of the low end. Like I said, I currently listen to Zaph Za5.3 MTM's with 5.5" drivers without a sub, and they go plenty low for casual listening (and plenty loud too!)

I'll post back when I get more time with them at my house - they are still at a friends house where I initially tested them out. I've got a bit more power then his setup, but still only an HK avr3600. I'd really like to pop the rear panel off and see what sort of shenanigans are going on inside.

I'm starting to see how lucky of a find these were, thanks for looking/helping.

-kevin
post #1743 of 1747 Old 06-08-2015, 11:15 AM

Regarding left & right placement, should these be drivers on the inside edge, or drivers on the outside edge?
post #1744 of 1747 Old 06-08-2015, 07:33 PM

More infoon my site if anyone follows this thread still!
http://lot-o-nothin.com/audio/dcm-ti...-tf2000-part-1

Now even more photo-y.

Last edited by imstillatwork; 06-11-2015 at 09:00 AM.
post #1745 of 1747 Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 AM

Is this the correct DCM badge for TF2000s? It seems so small...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-DCM-...item51d0fdfa89
post #1746 of 1747 Old 06-21-2015, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hey guys,

I am in the home stretch of building my theater room, centered around the TW7's!
post #1747 of 1747 Unread Today, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm rebuilding a pair of TF-700s (recent purchase)

clearly, my crossovers have been mucked around with, and I'm trying to get them back into original factory configuration

could not find a schematic for the TF-700, only for TF-1000... apparently, the only difference between TF-700 and TF-1000 crossovers is that resistor RA is 47 ohms in the TF-700 (vs. 100 ohm)

please note I believe I have a pair of *first generation* TF-700s because:
- terminal cup is small round 3" diameter (not large rectangular)
- crossover is crudely hand-made on a piece of scrap wood with messy point-to-point wiring (not nice & neat on a custom PCB board)

my understanding is that the first and later generations of TF-700 used the exact same drivers and crossover values, so should otherwise function and sound the same(???)

QUESTIONS:

Q1: does anyone have an actual TF-700 schematic?... do they even exist?
Q2: is it true that TF-700 and TF-1000 crossovers are the exact same (except for resistor RA)?
Q3: TF-1000 schematic shows presence of a resistor R1 (15 ohm, 2W, 10%), but THIS PART IS MISSING FROM BOTH MY CROSSOVERS!!!... can anyone confirm that R1 is supposed to be there based on experience with your TF-700s?... and if so, is your R1 15 ohms? (any pics greatly appreciated, especially showing R1's location)
Q4: is there a chance that first generation TF-700s did not have an R1?

any help greatly appreciated, thank you!

attachments show the schematic for TF-1000, plus my crossover in its current *altered* state
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCMTF-1000crossover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	894114   Click image for larger version

Name:	tf700_CROSSOVER_AS_ACQUIRED.jpg
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	894146   Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker_openback_as_acquire.jpg