PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
First ... 101  102  103 104  105  ... Last
Speakers > PSB Speakers Owners thread
kiwi2's Avatar kiwi2 06:30 PM 12-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima333a View Post

Sounds like a compromise to me, but that is how step up line, Imagine T works as well.

The Imagine T and T5 have a lot in common. Same driver size and layout and crossover points. I wouldn't call it a compromised design.

It would pay for anyone looking at a image tower to get a listen to both without the preconceived idea that the T6 is the better speaker simply because it's bigger and cost more. Some people may find they like the sound of the T5 better. And at its slightly cheaper price - that will give them more bang for their buck again.

I'm not the only one to suggest this... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2543

jephdood's Avatar jephdood 06:59 PM 12-11-2010
I know I liked the T5's better. The T6's exhibited some cabinet resonances at certain frequencies that I didn't like.
jostenmeat's Avatar jostenmeat 07:23 PM 12-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

I know I liked the T5's better. The T6's exhibited some cabinet resonances at certain frequencies that I didn't like.

How did you ascertain that it was cabinet resonances that caused audible differences? Are there published tests with both using an accelerometer, and were the differences deemed to be audible? Thanks.
dima333a's Avatar dima333a 07:35 PM 12-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

The Imagine T and T5 have a lot in common. Same driver size and layout and crossover points. I wouldn't call it a compromised design.

2.5 way speakers are quite common, but I still believe in honest 3-way design. While, frankly, depending on implementation both schemes can make very good sound even in a higher price range speakers, I think 2.5 way is a compromise.
dima333a's Avatar dima333a 07:37 PM 12-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

I know I liked the T5's better. The T6's exhibited some cabinet resonances at certain frequencies that I didn't like

Hm... Interesting, especially considering dual chamber design of T6 and single chamber design of T5. Also, I did not notice any excessive enclosure resonances in the measurements given in stereophile magazine - here

Actually, if you look at the enclosure resonances of PSB Imagine T (here), the longest decay components last longer(!) despite all that curved body

I have been so puzzled, that I put the charts side by side

*The images were taken from www.stereophile.com reviews of PSB Image T6 and PSB Imagine T.

Clearly, the walls resonances for Imagine T look worse than for Image T6 However, it is not clear how John Atkinson have done the measurements for T6. He mentiones "woofer enclosure", however T6 has two woofer enclosures. The lower enclosure encloses only woofer and thus has smaller linear size of the walls. The higher enclosure hosts second woofer and the rest of the speakers, and in fact has larger wall size. So, I would have argued which enclosure actually has larger decay time, especially around the resonance frequency.
adestin's Avatar adestin 08:24 PM 12-11-2010
Listened again to the B&W 683s and the PSB Image T6s....right now leaning toward the PSBs. On a more scrutinized listen with my own CDs...I found the B&Ws to be a bit too laid back and at times the bass seemed to overwhelm the vocals. The PSBs, although laid back too, were more balanced...and I felt had slightly less bass....which actually works better for me in a 200 sq. ft. room.
dima333a's Avatar dima333a 08:29 PM 12-11-2010
Now, I have also looked at the decay time for the front, which speaks for the dampening of the speakers. Here Image T6 looks a tad worse. They are almost twins in high frequency range (what a surprise, considering identical tweeters!) and somewhat worse at the low end (those larger woofers of T6 remind us about their bigger mass). However, again, I do not see anything that would stand out.

*The images were taken from www.stereophile.com reviews of PSB Image T6 and PSB Imagine T.
kiwi2's Avatar kiwi2 08:36 PM 12-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by adestin View Post

The PSBs, although laid back too, were more balanced...and I felt had slightly less bass....which actually works better for me in a 200 sq. ft. room.

Like I said... try the T5' as well. You may even like them better again.
corksens's Avatar corksens 08:17 AM 12-15-2010
I love my T5's.
jostenmeat's Avatar jostenmeat 02:13 PM 12-16-2010
I have an unusual question, and I think I will ask PSB directly as well. I am not going to explain how or why this might* come up in the future, but here goes.

How will the C60 Image center speaker work as a LR main, when vertically arrayed, and after rotating the tweeter's phase diffuser to be in the proper orientation (90 degrees turn)? Does anyone know anything about driver spacing issues, considering a relatively on-axis positioning of tweeters relative to listener's ears? Thanks for reading.
scientest's Avatar scientest 03:50 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

I have an unusual question, and I think I will ask PSB directly as well. I am not going to explain how or why this might* come up in the future, but here goes.

Hmm, that's no fun....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

How will the C60 Image center speaker work as a LR main, when vertically arrayed, and after rotating the tweeter's phase diffuser to be in the proper orientation (90 degrees turn)? Does anyone know anything about driver spacing issues, considering a relatively on-axis positioning of tweeters relative to listener's ears?

Well in theory you have a standard D'Appolito configuration at that point, and that in turn is designed for pretty much the situation you describe. How true that is in practice depends on the cross over points and slopes and driver spacing and I don't have time to figure that out at the moment (sorry). Would be interested to hear what PSB has to say on the issue. You may have to give them some time, they're usually not quick to get back to you on this kind of question, but they usually do. Bet they'll wonder why you'd doing this as well...
jostenmeat's Avatar jostenmeat 06:16 PM 12-16-2010
scientest, I was hoping you'd chime in. I haven't gotten around to emailing them, but I will soon, especially after reading your response. I've contacted them once before, and my experience was a very good one.

The likelihood of having two centers is very slim, and it wouldn't happen for a while. It's a long story, but I may have one in possession a year or longer from now for either very little, or perhaps even free. My preset C60 now has no use, as I replaced it very recently with a T55 (3 identical LCR behind DIY screen frame/wall). The going rate for the C60 is so darn low (at Saturday), that I'd have to eat a lot of loss to sell it. Really though, it's mostly just curiosity in the extremely rare chance that I had possession of 2x C60s. Because if someone told me it was just a bad idea all around, I'd toss my silly notion aside and never think about it again. Thanks again.
rana_kirti's Avatar rana_kirti 03:30 AM 12-18-2010
Guys is the image series = paradigm studio series...? Or...

Imagine series = paradigm studio series

??

Thanks
dima333a's Avatar dima333a 05:24 AM 12-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

Guys is the image series = paradigm studio series...? Or... Imagine series = paradigm studio series ...

You have not bought anything yet?

This is a tough question. Generally, you compare speakers by the price. This way we get:

PSB Image competes against Paradigm Monitor
PSB Imagine competes against Paradigm Studio
PSB Synchrony may be considered (to some extent) as a competitor to Paradigm Signature

But there is not always a direct match in the line. PSB Imagine T is more of a competitor to Paradigm Studio 60, while Paradigm Studio 100 tales a bit behind PSB Synchrony Two Tower....

In reality, PSB and Paradigm have somewhat different sound style. IMHO Paradigm is somewhat more energetic and PSB is more relaxed. Now, as it comes to personal preferences, it seems to me that PSB has somewhat better value.
rana_kirti's Avatar rana_kirti 05:33 AM 12-18-2010
thanks dima,

yep...m yet to buy the speakers, should do in 2 weeks time... just got my svs pc12 nsd subwoofer delivered couple of days back...

Would it be fair to say that the studio is better than image..?

Also as you mentioned paradigm is more energetic and Psb more relaxed would the Paradigm be better suited for movie/HT use than the Psb...?

Does the 3 way center of the paradigm offer better dialogue than the 2 way of the Psb ?

So the Paradigm SE is between Monitor and Studio but where does the Paradigm SE series fit in as far PSB series is concerned ?

You said Psb was more value... Could you elaborate on that...? Thanks
dima333a's Avatar dima333a 06:45 AM 12-18-2010
Quote:

.... just got my svs pc12 nsd subwoofer delivered couple of days back...

Nice

Quote:

Would it be fair to say that the studio is better than image..?

If money is not object, between these two, I would be very very serious about getting Paradigm Studio 100 That said, I do trully enjoy the sound of PSB.. to the level, that my music taste seem to shift towards what my speakers like

Quote:

Also, as you mentioned paradigm is more energetic and Psb more relaxed would the Paradigm be better suited for movie/HT use than the Psb...?

Honestly, I was looking for speakers that play music first.... for HT I am much less picky. Even with a poor SONY sub I am quite happy with PSB in HT area. I am rather too cautious here to say that Paradigm would be better for HT. However, for rock music I may like Paradigm a bit more

Quote:

Does the 3 way center of the paradigm offer better dialogue than the 2 way of the Psb ?

Paradigm with their super center speakers are definitely super-duper. However, it seems that regual smaller ceter speakers work out quite well in many other speakers lines, including PSB Synchrony line. Again, personally I do not feel any discomfort with small PSB Image C5. Besides, it easier fits into near TV area.

Quote:

So the Paradigm SE is between Monitor and Studio but where does the Paradigm SE series fit in as far PSB series is concerned ?

Price, price, price... take a look at the price list and make your own conclusion. Paradigm SE towers I believe priced somewhere around 800$ each.

Quote:

You said Psb was more value... Could you elaborate on that...? Thanks

He... he... I think that PSB Image line, specifically Image T6 sounds more to my liking than Paradigm Monitor 9 or 11
vermont99's Avatar vermont99 10:52 AM 12-18-2010
Here’s a great place to find speaker wire connectors.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...ode=AHH_Banana

Bummer the person I that was going to sell me his One’s decided to keep them. He found out the One’s were better than the Mirage OMD-28 he was going to replace them with.
jostenmeat's Avatar jostenmeat 01:15 PM 12-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont99 View Post

Here's a great place to find speaker wire connectors.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...ode=AHH_Banana

Bummer the person I that was going to sell me his One's decided to keep them. He found out the One's were better than the Mirage OMD-28 he was going to replace them with.

I really like using locking bananas. The GLS brand will fit the bill perfectly for sure. They are not only easier to plug in and out, there is no more worry of corrosion, and then there's the peace of mind that nothing will come loose, short out, whisker, etc.

I've also used Neutrik Speakon connectors for the first time this year (between sub and amp), and if I ever build my own speakers, I'm almost certain that's what I'll use. They are locking plugs on steroids, hehe, and are even easier to plug in and out.
adestin's Avatar adestin 04:34 PM 12-18-2010
Did you chose the T-5s over the T-6s because room-size/space constraints, price or did you like the sound better?
rana_kirti's Avatar rana_kirti 03:12 AM 12-19-2010
guys,

any dealers in toronto/missisauga/oakville/brampton area who carry both Paradigm & PSB....?

I'm looking to be able to demo both with the same avr and do a A vs. B...??

Thanks
rana_kirti's Avatar rana_kirti 07:15 AM 12-21-2010
Any one done a demo of Paradigm SE1 vs PSB Image B6....??
rana_kirti's Avatar rana_kirti 06:01 AM 12-31-2010
guys as far as the Image series go.... where do the Monitor Audio BX and the RX series fit to the PSB Image...?

is BX higher or lower than Image ?

is RX higher or lower than Image ?

Thanks
scientest's Avatar scientest 07:37 AM 12-31-2010
Quote:
guys as far as the Image series go.... where do the Monitor Audio BX and the RX series fit to the PSB Image...?

is BX higher or lower than Image ?

is RX higher or lower than Image ?
Only you can answer that question for yourself. They're two different manufactures who have different sets of technologies with different strategies for setting price points. Whether the compromises one manufacturer makes in those technologies to hit a certain price point agree with your tastes is something only you can answer. Anything else is just someone else's bias, but I know where I'd put my money...
rana_kirti's Avatar rana_kirti 08:20 AM 12-31-2010

i meant if anyone has heard all three.... RX,BX & Image where would they slot them...?

i know RX is higher than BX but where does Image fit in....?
scientest's Avatar scientest 09:06 AM 12-31-2010
Quote:

i meant if anyone has heard all three.... RX,BX & Image where would they slot them...?

i know RX is higher than BX but where does Image fit in....?

But that's my point: for some people the Image series likely blows them both away, for others, the BX may be the best thing they have ever heard, including the RX....
mark russ's Avatar mark russ 10:32 AM 12-31-2010
What is the matching center channel speaker for Stratus Goldis?

TIA!
scientest's Avatar scientest 11:09 AM 12-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ View Post

What is the matching center channel speaker for Stratus Goldis?

Since PSB was not doing multi-channel when the Golds were being built I had the same question when I went to use my Golds for HT... PSB recommends that you use one of Synchrony's (can't recall if they were specific). I started out with an older Image series, which worked ok but I eventually ended up building my own. (I've got pretty severe height restrictions with my center placement and most everything PSB builds cuts into the screen from certain viewing positions.)

From my experience I'd bet the Imagine C would also be a good bet.
rana_kirti's Avatar rana_kirti 11:48 AM 12-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

But that's my point: for some people the Image series likely blows them both away, for others, the BX may be the best thing they have ever heard, including the RX....

and what do you feel my friend....?

i want to know your view on this....
scientest's Avatar scientest 01:11 PM 12-31-2010
Quote:

and what do you feel my friend....?

i want to know your view on this....

Personally, the only Monitor Audio products I've heard in recent history were some of their in walls which a friend has in his HT. Nice enough, but I think you can do better for the price point...
No Mo' So's Avatar No Mo' So 07:42 AM 01-01-2011
Hey guys, I recently bought myself a Panasonic 46G25 plasma, and i got a Sony Bluray for X-mas. It's a nice set up, now I want to go surround sound.

I have to replace my ancient Sony receiver, but my question will have to do with matching my old psbs to a center channel and surrounds. I own a pair of old Century 800i speakers that I absolutely loved (haven't used them in about 7 years though due to life happening, moving away) when I used them for stereo listening.

What center and surrounds would match well with my 800is?

Another question, my tv room is rather on the small side at 13x10. My couch is set along the 13' wall. I'm basically sitting about 8' away from my tv. Will a system this "big" be too much for such a small room? Also, the surrounds would have to go on either side of the couch, as the couch is set back alomng the wall.

OR, would I best be served by a smaller system...practically a HTIB???

I would really hate to not use those 800is now that I will have a somewhat dedicated tv room.

Thanks so much in advance for any and all opinions/advice. Mucho appreciated!!!!
Tags: Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer
First ... 101  102  103 104  105  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop