PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #3631 of 5628 Old 03-04-2012, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone listened to both the Onkyo higher end models and NAD of the 7x6 or 7x7 generations? If so, care to offer your opinions of each?

Thanks!

josh[/quote]

I have an Integra which is also made by Onkyo and I had it hooked up to my previous PSB set up of B25's fronts B15's side and rear surrounds and C40 center and it sounded terrific. It really brought my PSB's to life.
Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 5628 Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Have you considered the Denon 4311? If reliability is your concern, then Denon has had a better track record. The 4311 has the latest technology, including Audyssey MultEQ XT32, 11.1 capability, and 9 internal amps. There are a number of postings on the 4311 thread from users who compared it to the latest Onkyo models.

I hadn't but I will add it to the short list, thanks.

And to clarify my original post; I know lots of people on the boards are using Onkyo and PSB and love the combo; I am hoping someone has heard both NAD and Onkyo and can comment on the differences, if any. And if the 4311 is on my list, anyone who can compare it to NAD is appreciated as well.
post #3633 of 5628 Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have the NAD T775HD and love it. I have tested denon and onkyo and personally I like NAD better.
post #3634 of 5628 Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I have the NAD T775HD and love it. I have tested denon and onkyo and personally I like NAD better.

What stood out re: the differences against the other two?
post #3635 of 5628 Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

drvrswntd:

When driving my psb's I noticed that that NAD just sounded more effortless. Never sounded strained at high volumes and generally had better sound for my ears. Every time I go buy a new AVR I always try out a few from other brands... Some of the bigger brands may have more buzz features but I always settle on NAD for the sound quality
post #3636 of 5628 Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebook23 View Post

drvrswntd:

When driving my psb's I noticed that that NAD just sounded more effortless. Never sounded strained at high volumes and generally had better sound for my ears. Every time I go buy a new AVR I always try out a few from other brands... Some of the bigger brands may have more buzz features but I always settle on NAD for the sound quality

I am driving Synchrony One's with my 4311. While I have a great deal of respect for NAD's sound quality, the reason I went with the Denon is that it has Audyssey MultEQ XT32, which allows for the independent calibration of two subs. The two extra amplifiers, 11.1 support, pre-amp mode, and DSX technology may be "buzz features", but may also be important to some. Given the quality of today's top AVR's (NAD, Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer, and Denon), many would have trouble differentiating them in a blind listening test. In the end, features play an important role in selection.
post #3637 of 5628 Old 03-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a receiver to drive PSB Imagine B/C speakers? I currently have a Pioneer Elite SC-37 which seems unbearably harsh on all sources (exaggerated highs - almost metallic). I took the C center to my dealer and verified the speaker was OK. My room acoustics are not bright.
post #3638 of 5628 Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:

drvrswntd:

Same here, I chose a NADT775 (nonHD) over a few other receivers to drive my PSB Synchrony's. Personally preferred the warmer, more laid back sound of this combo compared to other combinations.
post #3639 of 5628 Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Given the quality of today's top AVR's (NAD, Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer, and Denon), many would have trouble differentiating them in a blind listening test. In the end, features play an important role in selection.

I tend to disagree with that statement. I try to do blind listening with every bit of kit that I buy. Because if I can't hear an improvement over what I already have I will not buy it. I can notice large differences in sound from one brand to the next. I do not consider myself a die hard audiophile. But I do put a premium on sound quality. I guess that's why NAD and PSB Speakers always seem to come out close to the front of the pack (or at the front) time and time again in my listening tests over other brands.
post #3640 of 5628 Old 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Level matching is essential to properly compare the "sound" of different gear (speakers excepted, for the most part). And with level-matched comparisons, "huge differences" shrink dramatically.
post #3641 of 5628 Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok305 View Post

Thanks, what about for the t6's?

For Image T6 I would start thinking about at least mid-level receivers, such as Onkyo TX-NR709 and TX-NR809.
post #3642 of 5628 Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 246
Imagine T2 shown as available at Audio Advisor (dot com).

This is the first I've seen of them being available for purchase.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #3643 of 5628 Old 03-09-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

New video on the Imagine T2 Tower Speakers from Audio Advisor on youtube - video
post #3644 of 5628 Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLee1 View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation for a receiver to drive PSB Imagine B/C speakers? I currently have a Pioneer Elite SC-37 which seems unbearably harsh on all sources (exaggerated highs - almost metallic). I took the C center to my dealer and verified the speaker was OK. My room acoustics are not bright.

Any comments on this?
post #3645 of 5628 Old 03-10-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 246
Receivers usually have little (if any) difference in sound quality (EQ notwithstanding). So unless your Pio is defective, I would look into other issues - speakers, placement, and settings on your Pio.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #3646 of 5628 Old 03-10-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Any comments on this?

NAD would be logical safe choice. NAD company lives under the same corporate umbrella as PSB. Naturally, PSB speakers are tested and demonstrated with NAD receivers/amplifiers. Logically, they should sound reasonably well together.

On the other hand, you have to consider your own preferences as well as the settings of your Pioneer. First, I would investigate into the settings of Pioneer and see if there are ways to adjust the sound. If you cannot get Pioneer to sound to your likings with PSB, then, you need to go to some type of specialized dealer store and listen to a few combinations to understand what sound you prefer. Trying to buy sound based on advice from a forum, can be a very expensive experience.

P.S. My Onkyo TX-NR1007 offers either parametric EQ for each channel, or Audyssey MultEQ XT+ separate correction of bass and treble for each channel. I rely on Audyssey to flatten the responce and barely touch separate settings. I have PSB Image series set of speakers.
post #3647 of 5628 Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks guys. I did take my Imagine C center back to the dealer to try it in their HT system which was driven by a NAD 775 and it seemed fine. But what is weird is that I tried a cheaper NAD at home, and it exhibited a similar harsh sound like my Pioneer. I have run MCACC equalization on my Pio with no improvement in that range.
The dealer did come out to my house and heard the problem and thought it seemed like digital noise artifacts, but we have been unable to affect it with other cables,etc.
I may try an upscale NAD (like a 775) with Audyssey adjustments. I don't believe room acoustics are the problem because it is a pretty well damped room.
The problem area appears to be in the upper midrange which makes the PSBs sound like they have really cheap tweeters (crossover area?).
post #3648 of 5628 Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

I don't believe room acoustics are the problem because it is a pretty well damped room.

How about room placement?
post #3649 of 5628 Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just want to share my experience with swapping out the tweeters on a pair of Stratus Mini (i's) with PSB's new replacement tweeters. I purchased a used set of Mini's a few months ago to recapture the general sound I enjoyed from a pair of Goldi's I had a long time ago and minus the bass the minis sound great and arguable somewhat better. One area I had forgotten about was the rather, water in the ear, sound to the tweeter which sometimes was a issue and sometimes not and both the goldi and mini with both sharing a similar signature iirc.

Looking at one of the tweeters I noted what looked like dried on gunk on a portion of the tweeter so in my infinite wisdom decided I'd dismantled the tweeter to clean it (even though it measured identical to the other) and of course snapped off on of the terminals off in the process of disconnecting the wiring. After purchasing a new tweeter through PSB and swapping out the old with the new I immediately noted a less congested and more open sound to the tweeter.

I had a set of measurements saved from the same speakers old tweeter so I was able to quickly confirm the new tweeter is hotter than the old original by as much as 3 dB depending on measurement position and frequency. To ensure the problem didn't lie with that one speakers crossover of tweeter I swapped out the tweeter with the other speaker and obtained identical results. To match the speakers I purchased another new tweeter and again obtained the same result.

In a nutshell, the new tweeter changes the mini's top end signature which, imo, is overall for the better.

Attached is a Jpeg of measurements comparing old and new with measurements taken from 1/2" on axis again at 36.5 inches on axis.
LL
post #3650 of 5628 Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughman View Post

I just want to share my experience with swapping out the tweeters on a pair of Stratus Mini (i's) with PSB's new replacement tweeters. I purchased a used set of Mini's a few months ago to recapture the general sound I enjoyed from a pair of Goldi's I had a long time ago and minus the bass the minis sound great and arguable somewhat better. One area I had forgotten about was the rather, water in the ear, sound to the tweeter which sometimes was a issue and sometimes not and both the goldi and mini with both sharing a similar signature iirc.

Looking at one of the tweeters I noted what looked like dried on gunk on a portion of the tweeter so in my infinite wisdom decided I'd dismantled the tweeter to clean it (even though it measured identical to the other) and of course snapped off on of the terminals off in the process of disconnecting the wiring. After purchasing a new tweeter through PSB and swapping out the old with the new I immediately noted a less congested and more open sound to the tweeter.

I had a set of measurements saved from the same speakers old tweeter so I was able to quickly confirm the new tweeter is hotter than the old original by as much as 3 dB depending on measurement position and frequency. To ensure the problem didn't lie with that one speakers crossover of tweeter I swapped out the tweeter with the other speaker and obtained identical results. To match the speakers I purchased another new tweeter and again obtained the same result.

In a nutshell, the new tweeter changes the mini's top end signature which, imo, is overall for the better.

Attached is a Jpeg of measurements comparing old and new with measurements taken from 1/2" on axis again at 36.5 inches on axis.

So was that a straight swap or did you have to modify the new tweeter to get it to fit? The reason I ask is that I have an older set of Stratus Silvers and the idea of a slightly "hotter" tweeter sounds like something I might like to explore........ but not at the sake of doing some sort of improvisational mod. Also, out of curiosity, approximatly how much are they charging for a single replacement tweeter?

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #3651 of 5628 Old 03-14-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

So was that a straight swap or did you have to modify the new tweeter to get it to fit? The reason I ask is that I have an older set of Stratus Silvers and the idea of a slightly "hotter" tweeter sounds like something I might like to explore........ but not at the sake of doing some sort of improvisational mod. Also, out of curiosity, approximatly how much are they charging for a single replacement tweeter?

It's the replacement tweeter they have for the Mini which includes the proper cover plate therefore it's a straight swap. Vifa is no longer printed on the tweeter so they may or may not be the manufacturer as they were for the originals and the cost is about $100.
post #3652 of 5628 Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM

Hi guys,

I picked up a pair of older Image 1B's, which are serving main duty in a 2.0 setup -- my first foray into HT. I do enjoy them, but I find that for HT duty, dialogue is not quite as crisp as I'd like, especially at lower volumes.

The room IS quite large, as I'm in an open, great-room style apartment, which could have something to do with it, but i'm not quite sure whether to add a center (8C, 9C, C40, etc)? or re-sell them and start over with something else before I go too far down this path.

Funds aren't great, but would I be better off going with the newer Alpha B1's, and a matching center? budget and replace with newer Image B5/6's, then build as i am able? any thoughts?

Current receiver is a Denon AVR-1611. No sub at this point.

thanks!
post #3653 of 5628 Old 03-15-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburkhardt View Post

Hi guys,

I picked up a pair of older Image 1B's, which are serving main duty in a 2.0 setup -- my first foray into HT. I do enjoy them, but I find that for HT duty, dialogue is not quite as crisp as I'd like, especially at lower volumes.

The room IS quite large, as I'm in an open, great-room style apartment, which could have something to do with it, but i'm not quite sure whether to add a center (8C, 9C, C40, etc)? or re-sell them and start over with something else before I go too far down this path.

Funds aren't great, but would I be better off going with the newer Alpha B1's, and a matching center? budget and replace with newer Image B5/6's, then build as i am able? any thoughts?

Current receiver is a Denon AVR-1611. No sub at this point.

thanks!

Question,
Are you running your receiver in stereo mode?

I would get a 9C. A Center is very important. Also if you get the bigger 9C it will match better with any upgraded L&R speakers that you get down the road in the PSB Speakers Image line.
post #3654 of 5628 Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Question,
Are you running your receiver in stereo mode?

I would get a 9C. A Center is very important. Also if you get the bigger 9C it will match better with any upgraded L&R speakers that you get down the road in the PSB Speakers Image line.

Yes, stereo mode only. Audyssey set to L/R only, as mains. Is there a better way to go about it?
post #3655 of 5628 Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 PM

What brand amp or av receiver do you all use to drive your PSB's?
post #3656 of 5628 Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
PSB Imagine Bs driven by Integra DTR 6.4 in 2.0 setup.
post #3657 of 5628 Old 03-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
PSB Alpha A/V (Fronts)
PSB 200 (Center)
PSB Ambient II (Di-pole Surrounds)
PSB Century Subsonic 2i

Yamaha RX-V3900
post #3658 of 5628 Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Parasound Halo C-2 AVR fed into a Parasound HCA 1205 amp-200 watts continuous per channel, 4 ohms driven.

Stratus Silvers front
Stratus C5 center (on it's way)(still searching for a C-6)
Stratus mini surrounds
HSU HRSW12V subwoofer

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #3659 of 5628 Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Liked: 16
PSB T45/C40/B15. I was driving them with an older Sony STR-DA2ES, but I just replaced it with an Onkyo TX-NR709. Without Audyssey, the Onkyo is heavier in the bottom end and maybe a little less in the top end. Without Audyssey, I preferred the Sony which has been moved to the bedroom. I'm still getting used to what I'm hearing with Audyssey on the Onkyo, but I think it's better. Perhaps I fear change.

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #3660 of 5628 Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfeldman721 View Post

What brand amp or av receiver do you all use to drive your PSB's?

Denon AVR 3808

In the past I've also used a Bryson 4B on the mains. I still have it sitting in storage but find no reason to run it over the Denon. It takes up more space, uses more power, runs hotter, and provides little to no audible difference at least for 90% of my listening which is casual (as opposed to the critical pick apart the details mode I used to do on a more regular basis before the kids came along).
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page