9Likes

post #391 of 5798 Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Luap,

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear that you really like them. I heard the M2s awhile back but they were outside my budget. I found a new sealed pair at a price I could not pass up some I'm pretty excited to get them tomorrow. I have a Velodyne HGS 10 and a SMS 1 so I'm confident they'll mesh well.

You are correct about the impedance switch, on most receivers it does limit the rail voltage. If the receiver is cool to the touch at the 6 Ohm setting at moderate volumes it's probably OK to leave it there.
Redoryx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 5798 Old 10-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Steve, I saw you posted in another thread that your M2s have arrived. What do you think of them?
post #393 of 5798 Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Luap,

After spending many hours listening to them over the past four days until midnight or later all I can say is that they are the best speakers I've ever owned. They replaced a pair of B&W CDM 1NTs which were an excellent speaker for the money, however the M2s are clearly in a different league. I prefer them over my father's Sonus Faber Concerto which is saying a lot. I almost purchased a pair of B&W 805s but I'm glad I didn't, the M2 is a better speaker in my opinion.

The size of the soundstage and the way they image is remarkable. What impressed me the most is the way they reproduce vocals and the decay of a piano and other string instruments, it's downright scary. The harmonics are dead on, incredibly natural. They have a smooth extended treble that is non-fatiguing, they beg you to listen to them for hours on end. Very good bass for a small speaker also. The M2 is a GREAT speaker, I think I am speaking for us both when I say that I'll (we'll)enjoy these for a long time. Take care.

Steve
post #394 of 5798 Old 10-13-2007, 06:55 PM

Awhile back, I damaged my PSB Image 9C center speaker and replaced it with an Image C40, since the 9C and 10Cs were long gone. The rest of my setup is 2 Image 5Ts (L and R) and 2 2Bs (surrounds). I've noticed a bit of a tonal mismatch, not drastic, between the C40 and the 2 5Ts (my L and R). Is there an improvement going from the 5T to the T55? If I can get a good deal, would it be a good idea? I'd even consider the T45, since I've got a great sub, and my room is about 12' wide by 20' deep, with carpet and a 7' drop ceiling. Maybe I just have a case of upgrade-itis! What do you think?
post #395 of 5798 Old 10-16-2007, 06:17 AM

Sounds like upgrade-itis to me. But that's not all bad.

I think there is an improvement from the 5T's to the T55's but how much is up to the listener I think. Not a huge leap by any measure.

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #396 of 5798 Old 10-19-2007, 09:05 AM

Heya guys,

I'm building a new place, and with it comes a new HT/Music setup. I have pretty much settled on PSB, here in SA nothing comes close in the price/value stakes. For now it looks like budget is edgeing towards a Image system. C60 centre, maybe B25 centres with S50 rears, and a 6i sub.

For the front soundstage either T55's or T65's. I can only get the T55's demo played in the showroom, and they seem plenty sound enough, but it's for a big room. Like 6 x 14m with a double volume ceiling. That's uhh, 20 x 46 ft with a 15ft ceiling.

Now, the idea is not to blast dance music all over the show, or watch DVD's with reference level THX room shaking bass. Rather I wish to be able to fill the room with that delicious rich PSB sound at the turn of a knob. An maybe crank it slightly higher for the odd riff.

So do you think the T55's will do me? Or should I be looking at T65's?
post #397 of 5798 Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 PM

bump
post #398 of 5798 Old 10-22-2007, 04:11 PM

I am putting together a secondary HT in my study / office. It is an acoustic nightmare with dimensions of 10.5'x10.75' with 10 ft ceiling. I have settled on the Alpha series because they are a great value and sound great.

I got a really good deal on some leftover Alpha S surrounds and now I am trying to decide which model to get for L, C, & R. Out of necessity these three speakers will be placed in a wall of bookshelves. My choices are either 3 CLR's or 2 B1's and a C1. Obviously there will be a sub for the LFE channel.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on experience with your psb's? Thanks.
post #399 of 5798 Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotVIBE View Post

Heya guys,

I'm building a new place, and with it comes a new HT/Music setup. I have pretty much settled on PSB, here in SA nothing comes close in the price/value stakes. For now it looks like budget is edgeing towards a Image system. C60 centre, maybe B25 centres with S50 rears, and a 6i sub.

For the front soundstage either T55's or T65's. I can only get the T55's demo played in the showroom, and they seem plenty sound enough, but it's for a big room. Like 6 x 14m with a double volume ceiling. That's uhh, 20 x 46 ft with a 15ft ceiling.

Now, the idea is not to blast dance music all over the show, or watch DVD's with reference level THX room shaking bass. Rather I wish to be able to fill the room with that delicious rich PSB sound at the turn of a knob. An maybe crank it slightly higher for the odd riff.

So do you think the T55's will do me? Or should I be looking at T65's?

I would say go for the T65's. When shopping for PSB speakers in the beginning I tried the 6T's and couldn't 'downgrade' to the 5T's. Now I have the T65's and I love them. Compared to the T55's, they have higher efficiency/sensitivy, higher power handling and lower/deeper bass. Go the extra mile, especially in your case with the large room.
post #400 of 5798 Old 10-24-2007, 11:21 AM

Has anyone here seen and heard the new PSB Synchrony speakers?

Sure would like to read some feedback on them.
post #401 of 5798 Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 AM

I'm considering buying some 12 yr. old used Stratus Gold towers. Never bought speakers before, and don't know what to look for. Are there parts that wear and need replacing on speakers of this type and this old? Also, assuming the speakers are in top-top shape, what is the going rate? Thanks.
post #402 of 5798 Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike View Post

There is Dealer in SF CA. that is supose to have them soon in his store. I have been waiting to hear them. I purchased my Stratus Silveri's from him,
post #403 of 5798 Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

There is Dealer in SF CA. that is supose to have them soon in his store. I have been waiting to hear them. I purchased my Stratus Silveri's from him,

Be sure to give us a full report on them. I am really curious about the Model one mains with the Model one-C center.

I'm a big believer in three-way center channels and I like the looks of the one in the synchrony line.

PSB has posted a review on their site from the November issue of Sound and vision (which I have not received in my mailbox yet ) but they used the smaller two-way center channel in the review.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/reviews/S...iews-Synchrony
post #404 of 5798 Old 10-24-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have, at CEDIA, very powerful, warmer than the Stratus. More like the Golds, but more resolving.

John
post #405 of 5798 Old 10-24-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

I have, at CEDIA, very powerful, warmer than the Stratus. More like the Golds, but more resolving.

Well, I called every dealer in Louisiana and not a one of them have them or plan to order them. Called a few in Texas same thing.

And people wonder why people buy online. They have no choice or they have no dealer. Folks in poor states or in small markets are truly screwed when it comes to mid to high end audio.
post #406 of 5798 Old 10-25-2007, 08:08 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

PSB Dealer in SF CA:
I called audioimages.com[ not a home consumer store] and asked Ron, what was the status of the PSB Synchrony speakers in his store. He said he may not have them permanently on the floor, however the sale rep was going to bring them by "some time soon" to give a demo. He is going to call me so i can stop in during the demo..... Yes, it is hard to demo this company's product...
db
post #407 of 5798 Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

PSB Dealer in SF CA:
I called audioimages.com[ not a home consumer store] and asked Ron, what was the status of the PSB Synchrony speakers in his store. He said he may not have them permanently on the floor, however the sale rep was going to bring them by "some time soon" to give a demo. He is going to call me so i can stop in during the demo..... Yes, it is hard to demo this company's product...
db

I get a real kick out of the many custom installers I have called who seem astonished that I would actually want to hear the speakers before I buy them.
post #408 of 5798 Old 10-27-2007, 08:08 AM

Yeah, the custom installer in Fargo ND that carries PSB downsized their store/demo rooms to have just a single very crappy demo room with really nothing in it. The new place has no attention to acoustics within it and they have maybe a pair of speakers out of any lines that they carry, let alone PSB. I used to go there all the time to listen to different PSB's and B&W's, but they dropped them all. No more demos of PSB.

Last time I was there he told me that he just does custom and doesn't try to compete with showroom. My thought is, how does anyone that is purchasing a custom system make any decisions on what they want to have installed?

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #409 of 5798 Old 10-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer865 View Post

Yeah, the custom installer in Fargo ND that carries PSB downsized their store/demo rooms to have just a single very crappy demo room with really nothing in it. The new place has no attention to acoustics within it and they have maybe a pair of speakers out of any lines that they carry, let alone PSB. I used to go there all the time to listen to different PSB's and B&W's, but they dropped them all. No more demos of PSB.

Last time I was there he told me that he just does custom and doesn't try to compete with showroom. My thought is, how does anyone that is purchasing a custom system make any decisions on what they want to have installed?

I fully understand the economics of this industry. We are now living in a Wal-Mart society where the average joe does not seek out quality, he seeks price. Which means quality speakers with real veneer cabinets, top shelf drivers and technology are nowhere to be found in areas like mine.

Independent dealers can no longer afford to stock speakers, pay high rent in a strip mall, etc. I understand all that, but what I have a problem with are those dealers who are unwilling to seek out manufacturers rep samples of a particular speaker model so that you can demo them. These people seems to only want a clientèle of folks who ask for a bid on an install, let them install it and then get shown how to operate the remote when it's all done.

To those dealers, I have no remorse when it comes to buying internet direct.
post #410 of 5798 Old 10-27-2007, 08:15 PM

I am looking at getting a pair of PSB S50's as bookshelf speakers, i am pretty new to this, this will be my first system. i know this may be a silly question but i am basically just going to have a 2 speaker set up for now and i was wondering if the s50's are only for rear speakers or if they could be used alone in the front. Also i was wondering what the sound difference is between the s50's and the b25's and which ones would be better as a 2.0 set up. Just to add, if anyones aware if its worth the extra money to upgrade to the Gb1's also.
post #411 of 5798 Old 10-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Well, I called every dealer in Louisiana and not a one of them have them or plan to order them. Called a few in Texas same thing.

Not sure if the store is still there, but I used to travel to New Orleans quite frequently and there was a place called Audio Resource that carried PSB - among many other great brands.

The owner was a great guy (if indeed it's still the same one) and always was very open to letting you really audition his lines.

Give them a shot. I believe the store was technically in "Kenner", LA?
post #412 of 5798 Old 10-28-2007, 12:47 PM

RECEIVERS?

what would you guys think is the perfect receiver to pair with PSB's? Well, other than NAD of course. I've heard that Denon's make a good pairing, what do you think?
post #413 of 5798 Old 10-28-2007, 12:59 PM

NAD, Rotal, Marantz, Denon, Harmon Kardon, some Yamaha. I'm not of the opinion that most receivers sound significantly different, but many PSB speakers are 4 ohm loads, so a receiver that has high current capability is best.
post #414 of 5798 Old 11-01-2007, 07:59 AM

Some PSB T6 Platinums are supposed to be at my door today. Bought some used.
post #415 of 5798 Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Warmer than the Stratus Golds, similiar but more resolving. Sounds like a perfect speaker to me.

I owned a pair of Stratus Golds from 1992-1996 and ran them with an Adcom preamp and an Adcom two channel amp. I am still searching for that magical sound that they gave me.

For the money the Stratus Golds were imo unbeatable.

I love what they have done with the new 3 way center by getting somewhat away from the MTM design.

My wife to this day gives me all kinds of sh*t for selling them. She loved the Golds looks and real wood.
post #416 of 5798 Old 11-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap View Post

Some PSB T6 Platinums are supposed to be at my door today. Bought some used.

Sweet ! I hope you're keeping the M2s too.
post #417 of 5798 Old 11-01-2007, 11:32 AM

I love the M2s and figured that over the next couple of years I'd look for some T6s or T8s used for use in a basement when I move to a house. I saw some T6s sooner than expected. The M2s will become the surrounds, or perhaps one day a small stereo system, if I find a good deal on the S2s.
post #418 of 5798 Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 AM

Need the wisdom of PSB Speaker owners. Newbie here when it comes to PSB Speakers. This setup would be for my basement, 5% watching TV, 15%movies and 80% GAMING. I would say the viewing area might be 20x20 give or take a couple of feet. Here is what I am considering for a 5.1 or 7.1 depending on what I can get for each set up (price). What would you can out and why?? Thanks everyone for your input.

Receiver: RXV Yamaha 3800
Front: Image T55
Center: C40
Sub: 6i
Surround: B15
Rear: B25
post #419 of 5798 Old 11-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi guys........

New to the forum and just read this whole thread from start to finish. Simply AWESOME!! I have been listening to PSB's ever since the first gen Alpha's came out for $200/pair - they were my first set of bookshelfs for 2 channel. Now that I am a little older, I currently use PSB in my HT which consists of the following:

Fronts - Stratus Mini
Center - Stratus C6
Surrounds - Alpha S dipoles (had to give in on this one for decoration and cosmetic rights in the family room)
Sub - James Subwoofer EMB-1200

Pushing my PSB's are 2 B&K amps (EX4420 & 4430) w/ Ref. 50 prepro
I simply blow away ALL my friends with this setup......drool is constantly running from their mouths

Anyway - love the reviews of the newer speakers.......might be time for an upgrade

Hope to be on here for a long time
see ya!

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K EX4420, B&K TX4430, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
post #420 of 5798 Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I've used a Denon 5803, B&K307, B&K Ref50 with Ref200.5,200.2 combo, and right now, a Pioneer Elite receiver as a pre/pro with a B&K Ref200.7 amp...all worked good with my Stratus Silveri's,C6i's Image 10s's,a pair of JBL HLS810 bookshelf's for the rears-SVS PB2+......

- Chip
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page