PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 5696 Old 12-14-2007, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for 1 5t/ 9c grille and 2 image series tweeters... any ideas where i can find some? (besides factory direct)

I remember a gentleman was at least selling the tweeters and woofers.

Please e-mail me at nad1967@hotmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5696 Old 12-14-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu2xlc View Post

im considering buing a image b15 as a start for my new HT later on thay will be moved to the back as a surround. i have two questions

is PSB speakers (image) line more of music or HT ?

where is the best place to get PSB speakers i don't have any local dealers so it will have to me online i only like to black or sienna color.

I wouldn't be the best person to tell you, as my PSB Image set will arrive today. But, from my auditions I have to say that they are balanced well for both uses with them being slightly better for music. Reason why I chose them, as well as I chose my receiver (SR-5001)
post #453 of 5696 Old 12-14-2007, 06:42 AM

PR Audio-

Did you buy from Saturday Audio Exchange? If so, did you order and have your speakers shipped to you or do you live in the Chicago area? What do you think of them?

I ask because I am interested in purchasing some PSB speakers, but there are no dealers in my area.
post #454 of 5696 Old 12-14-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james5 View Post

PR Audio-

Did you buy from Saturday Audio Exchange? If so, did you order and have your speakers shipped to you or do you live in the Chicago area? What do you think of them?

I ask because I am interested in purchasing some PSB speakers, but there are no dealers in my area.

Yes, I bought from them. Originally I was going to buy maple, as they are on special, but my wife is planning on changing decor and wanted black as they are more neutral towards decoration. So, I paid extra, but still like that I saved $600.00 (including freight) over local pricing.

I live in Puerto Rico, and there are 4 PSB dealers within 20 minutes of my house. All of them sell at MSRP, and have limited stock. So, besides having to pay MSRP I would have had to wait 2-3 weeks for them to arrive. Tried to negotiate, but they would only discount 5-10%.

It was easy to work with Saturday Audio, Andy was very helpful and understanding. He sent a Paypal invoice for maple, and I asked him to change the order to black, so he sent me a new invoice, after I already paid I commented that my wife now said that maple might work, and he said that if I wanted maple he would sell them to me and refund the difference. Anyways, I decided to leave the order for black, even though I would have saved about $150.00+ for maple.

My air freight carrier just called to advised that the shipment is delayed because of bad weather in the States. Not SA fault, as they shipped the day they promised. I can tell you later how they arrived, but since SA sold me A-Stock in factory sealed boxes I don't expect any problems.

To answer your third question: Yes, I recommend them.

As a note, I originally wanted Monitor Audio, and requested a quote for RS6/Silver Center/SFX. SA refused to quote, as they do not sell Monitor A-Stock current models outside their region. But, they do sell Monitor Audio clearance items outside their region. The fact that they didn't quote and protect other Monitor Audio dealers says alot about their business ethics.
post #455 of 5696 Old 12-14-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nad1967 View Post

I am looking for 1 5t/ 9c grille and 2 image series tweeters... any ideas where i can find some? (besides factory direct)

I remember a gentleman was at least selling the tweeters and woofers.

Please e-mail me at nad1967@hotmail.com

What's wrong with factory direct? It might very well be free.

John
post #456 of 5696 Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

What's wrong with factory direct? It might very well be free.

Alimentall is right, if they are not too old send PSB a sad email telling them how dissapointed you are. I'm sure you will get them free or at a very good discount.
post #457 of 5696 Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think you even have to do that. Paul's *actual* repair policy is "be reasonable". They should be close to being within warranty, at least.

John
post #458 of 5696 Old 12-14-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

From all I am hearing, I am glad I bought PSB's
post #459 of 5696 Old 12-14-2007, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Hi PSB Guys

I am off to CES in a few weeks and was going to stop in and see whats new at PSB. I was wondering if anyone wanted me to take along a question to ask paul or another PSB engineer. I know they will have Synchrony set up and I am looking forward to hearing what most of the magazines are giving product of the year awards to.
post #460 of 5696 Old 12-14-2007, 01:09 PM

any CW383 owners out there? are you using the Performance Enclosure? how do you like the speakers?

i tried to talk my wife into the CW800Es, but lost. :-)

anyway, on paper, the CW383 appear to have very similar drivers as the CW800E, but fewer.

i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a number of these to use as front speakers for a few different media rooms and appreciate any input.
post #461 of 5696 Old 12-15-2007, 09:11 AM

Fellas,

PSB does not want to replace my tweeters and they want to charge $20 shipping for 2 small tweeters bringing the bill over $100... which is why I am looking elsewhere...

I was hoping they would be a little more helpful but no luck.
post #462 of 5696 Old 12-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread as much as I can since I auditioned a set of B25s at my local audio shop. My question for you is which receiver do you use to power your systems? I was listening to the B25s on a marantz (only remember it was a stereo 2.1 channel) and am curious how different brands effect the sound reproduction. The marantz sounded nice and clean; I found for my musical taste I need a decent sub to keep up with my hunger for bass. I'm a recent college grad and want to try to not break the bank but would love to hear some options for well priced receivers. (If this should go in receivers I'll move it there)

Thanks
post #463 of 5696 Old 12-15-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fellas,

PSB does not want to replace my tweeters and they want to charge $20 shipping for 2 small tweeters bringing the bill over $100... which is why I am looking elsewhere...

If they ship UPS Ground, or FEDEX Ground that is a fair freight charge, as UPS, FEDEX, DHL, and other couriers have a minimum charge for packages and charge the same for 6 ounces or for 1 lbs. If the weight is 1.1 lbs. they will charge you for 2 lbs. They are not USPS, which charges for fractions (ounces). Also, PSB is in Canada, so it is international freight, and freight charges from the above mentioned companies is more expensive.

Call Saturday Audio, explain to them what you need. Since they move a large volume of PSB they might be willing to sell you what you need, and charge you no freight, because they can "piggyback" your tweeters with one of their stock orders.
post #464 of 5696 Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Fellas,

How old are they? Do you have a receipt? Did you buy them new or used? Who's your dealer? What did you do to them?

John
post #465 of 5696 Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebook23 View Post

You would be surprised that these held their value very well. If they are the Gold's then I would say around #2-500 if they are the goldi's then a bit more

Hi,

What is the difference between "Gold's" and "Goldi's"?

Thanks!!

Ryan

These Pretzels are making me thirsty..
post #466 of 5696 Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 PM
hjw
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post

Hi,

What is the difference between "Gold's" and "Goldi's"?

Thanks!!

The Gold i's went to the metal dome tweeter. The cabinet is narrower on the i's. There may be other differences that I am not aware of.
post #467 of 5696 Old 12-16-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not exactly. The Golds have the same metal tweeter. In fact, I think all of the drivers were the same (or had only minor revisions) and the cabinet was the main upgrade. I have a set of pristine gloss black Golds that just got traded in.

John
post #468 of 5696 Old 12-16-2007, 03:15 PM
hjw
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Not exactly. The Golds have the same metal tweeter. In fact, I think all of the drivers were the same (or had only minor revisions) and the cabinet was the main upgrade. I have a set of pristine gloss black Golds that just got traded in.

Yes, you are correct.

Because my C6 does not have the metal tweeter and the C6i does, I was thinking the same was true of the Gold and Gold i's too, which it is not.

Thank you for the correction.
post #469 of 5696 Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 PM

I have the Image series T55 towers, S50 surrounds, and B15 monitors. The center channel that I have is the Platinum C2. Will the mismatched center work alright, or should I sell the C2 and buy the matching image series center? BTW, I ordered the B-15s from Saturday. The deal was too good to pass up.
post #470 of 5696 Old 12-17-2007, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparody27 View Post

I have the Image series T55 towers, S50 surrounds, and B15 monitors. The center channel that I have is the Platinum C2. Will the mismatched center work alright, or should I sell the C2 and buy the matching image series center? BTW, I ordered the B-15s from Saturday. The deal was too good to pass up.

They also have an excellent deal on the C40 Image Center, so you might want to consider it. If you prefer they also have C60, but it is not on sale, but even their regular pricing is better than other PSB dealers.
post #471 of 5696 Old 12-17-2007, 07:28 AM

Hello
I have the Stratus Goldi for mains
the Stratus C5 center
300is for the rears and the
Subsonic 2i sub love these speakers
post #472 of 5696 Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfieri View Post

any CW383 owners out there? are you using the Performance Enclosure? how do you like the speakers?

i tried to talk my wife into the CW800Es, but lost. :-)

anyway, on paper, the CW383 appear to have very similar drivers as the CW800E, but fewer.

i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a number of these to use as front speakers for a few different media rooms and appreciate any input.

They are a great choice, but I would suggest getting the performance enclosure that PSB offers to get you better sound. Since you have the budget of the 800e's but the wife wants something smaller, I think the few extra $ for the performance enclosures would be a good investment.
post #473 of 5696 Old 12-17-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebook23 View Post

They are a great choice, but I would suggest getting the performance enclosure that PSB offers to get you better sound. Since you have the budget of the 800e's but the wife wants something smaller, I think the few extra $ for the performance enclosures would be a good investment.

thanks for the confirmation on the CW383s. i'm going a lot on blind faith here based on what audiophiles are saying about PSB's entire product line. definitely planning on the performance enclosure for those and the CWS8 subwoofer.

i'm planning to use the CW260 for the surround speakers and skimping a little by not getting performance enclosures for them. i hope that's a good choice. feel free to disagree.

thanks.
post #474 of 5696 Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfieri View Post

thanks for the confirmation on the CW383s. i'm going a lot on blind faith here based on what audiophiles are saying about PSB's entire product line. definitely planning on the performance enclosure for those and the CWS8 subwoofer.

i'm planning to use the CW260 for the surround speakers and skimping a little by not getting performance enclosures for them. i hope that's a good choice. feel free to disagree.

thanks.

They are a good choice, as the 383 uses the same driver construction as the Platinum line so your definitely buying quality. I would go with Two CWS8 in-wall subwoofers for a little more low end or one CWS10 with a CWA-1 amp (which will run two CWS8's or two CWS10). you'll need another performance enclosure for the CWS8 if you don't get the CWS10 as the CWS8 is not a sealed speaker. But I don't think you'll need a performance enclosure for your rears as they really are not asked to do that much low end.
post #475 of 5696 Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Fellas,

Yeah, I have run into this same thing for my 7PT's. I needed to replace or repair the amps in both speakers. PSB would not do a repair of them since they are BASH amps and Indigo would have to do the work. But $280/ea. plus $40-80 in shipping, they would be happy to send me replacements.

Total would have been close to $650 just to replace the amps, and then I still have used speakers. At that pricing, I could buy or almost buy 5T/T55's or T65's.

Best of Luck

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #476 of 5696 Old 12-27-2007, 08:01 AM

Hey guys,

I'm considering purchasing a pair of Image T45 towers and a Image C40 center. My question is, I currently have a H/K AVR 235 receiver. I'm wondering if this is going to be powerful enough to properly drive these speakers. Thanks in advance for the advise!
post #477 of 5696 Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8816 View Post

Hey guys,

I'm considering purchasing a pair of Image T45 towers and a Image C40 center. My question is, I currently have a H/K AVR 235 receiver. I'm wondering if this is going to be powerful enough to properly drive these speakers. Thanks in advance for the advise!

Yes, it will drive them properly. Image series is highly efficient. You will be pleased with the sound level you will get from the combination. The advantage of the Image series is that even at low volumes they are detailed. I have T45/C40 driven by an 80W Marantz that never goes past -20db volume level.
post #478 of 5696 Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM

Sometime in 2008 I'll be outfitting a new home theater / music room. As I'm partial to PSB the system will likely be anchored by a pair of T55s (the T65s are just too deep for me).

Here's what I'm curious about: in the dark ages of audio subwoofers were usually only used in the absence of full range speakers. The Tx5s are definitely full range, and yet I notice a lot of posters here pairing them with subwoofers. But why?

I'm very curious to hear people's opinions. And conversely, if you are spending $ on a subwoofer, why bother buying anything above the T45? Or perhaps even B25s?

One disclaimer is that while I appreciate excellent sound I'm not a rabid fan of movies where lots of things "blow up good, real good!"
post #479 of 5696 Old 12-29-2007, 09:41 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ings View Post

I'm very curious to hear people's opinions. And conversely, if you are spending $ on a subwoofer, why bother buying anything above the T45? Or perhaps even B25s?

In my opinion it has to do with the frequency you cross the sub over at. I've seen posts that say 100Hz is easy to locate. I've found that 80Hz can be localized also. I have T55 towers, so I was able to cross over at 60Hz and really have to concentrate to know the sound is coming from the sub. It's also nice to have a broad range of overlap to experiment with and find the best solution for your room conditions.
post #480 of 5696 Old 12-29-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieU View Post

I have T55 towers, so I was able to cross over at 60Hz and really have to concentrate to know the sound is coming from the sub. It's also nice to have a broad range of overlap to experiment with and find the best solution for your room conditions.

This makes sense to me if you've decided upon a setup using full range front speakers and a subwoofer. It's good to have flexibility to experiment.

But to be crystal clear, my curiosity is mostly about why is a subwoofer useful if one is using full range front speakers?

I'm probably dating myself but at one time "full range" usually meant subwoofers weren't necessary for normal listening / normal movies.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page