Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #5611 of 5639 Old 07-03-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 646
A little more information would be useful. Are you also using a sub? If yes, what is the crossover setting? Did you run the Audyssey calibration? If yes, do you have Dynamic EQ turned on? And is Dynamic Volume turned off? What about placement? A picture of your listening room would be helpful.

And by the way, bi-amping provides little or no contribution to the overall sound quality. Given that you have spare amps to use, it doesn't detract from the sound, but it is providing little or no added value. And I don't thing the 4000 is underpowered, and if you spend the additional money on external amps, I don't think that would be the immediate solution you are looking for. I suspect there is something related to where the speakers are positioned that is influencing your sound. Ideally, you would have a measurement system that would allow you to measure in-room response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5639 Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post
The PSB Alpha was the very first set of speakers I ever owned (@ $200 for the pair) and basically started me on the path down 2 channel audio and expanded to Home Theatre. I remember when I had those AWESOME little speakers, I ended up purchasing a PSB 100C center channel to go with them a few years later. Not sure if they had the same drivers or tweeter but I do remember it blended very well with the Alphas.

Toys
I found one, PSB 100C for around $100. Thoughts?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/o...ationFlag=true

post #5613 of 5639 Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question New member looking for speaker suggestions

I am upgrading my home theater to a 7.1 system, and am looking for 2 pairs of surround sound speaker (side and rear) to go with my following PSB Image speakers:-

PSB Image T5;
PSB Image C5;
PSB SUB 5I;
Can anyone please suggest which PSB speakers work well with the Image speakers above and are good enough for movies? Thanks!
post #5614 of 5639 Old 07-06-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
PSB Image B4 $199 a pair they are discontinued so they might sell out soon.

Here is a direct link to the Audioadvisor page for them

http://www.audioadvisor.com/PSB-Imag.../#.U7ocKkDRN_Y
post #5615 of 5639 Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I have a brand new in the box never opened image b6. Pm me if interested
post #5616 of 5639 Old 07-07-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
PSB Image B4 $199 a pair they are discontinued so they might sell out soon.

Here is a direct link to the Audioadvisor page for them

http://www.audioadvisor.com/PSB-Imag.../#.U7ocKkDRN_Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Thanks for the suggestion and offer.
Instead of buying 4 surround sound speakers, does it make sense to buy another pair of PSB T5 towers for now to make it 5.1, and add a pair of reference level towers for future 7.1 upgrades, then move the 4 T5s for surround sound?
post #5617 of 5639 Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have been searching to replace my Onkyo HT setup for a while now. Heard the B&W towers, bookshelves and the M1 home theatre package. Bought some Martinlogan bookshelves but ended up returning them. The highs were just too much for my taste. Heard the sonus faber stuff..and liked the sound but not the price.

Then I got a chance to hear the PSB Imagine X1T and really liked them. Turns out the image line is being discontinued, so I ended up ordering those instead.

Got a pair of T5, a pair of B4, and the C4 center channel for $830 new! Those normally retail for $1630.

#excited . Should be here thursday. Ordered some Sewell speaker wires.

I should probably get a better amp for these speakers. I think the onkyo puts out 100watts at 8 ohms. Or so it says. any suggestions?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vv8aItn...o-HT-S760.html
post #5618 of 5639 Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdong77 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion and offer.
Instead of buying 4 surround sound speakers, does it make sense to buy another pair of PSB T5 towers for now to make it 5.1, and add a pair of reference level towers for future 7.1 upgrades, then move the 4 T5s for surround sound?
It depends on your usage I reckon. If your dominant usage is movies, I personally think T5's as surrounds/rears is overcooking it, given the amount and type of content that is generally present in these channels. For movies, there would be better value for you in the Image B4's (say) as surrounds/rears and putting the difference towards a second closely matched sub. The B4's are a surprisingly capable little speaker.

On the other hand, if your passion is multichannel music where an excellent timbre match is more important and the surround channels are quite active, the T5's could make some sense because they're identical to your mains. The trouble is though, that you loose the advantage of a perfect timbre match if you then go for different/reference front towers in the future. You would at least need to go for Imagine X2T's, or ideally Image T6's (if you can find a pair) to maintain the excellent timbre match required for M/C music.

Hope that helps in your decision.
post #5619 of 5639 Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp85 View Post
I have been searching to replace my Onkyo HT setup for a while now. Heard the B&W towers, bookshelves and the M1 home theatre package. Bought some Martinlogan bookshelves but ended up returning them. The highs were just too much for my taste. Heard the sonus faber stuff..and liked the sound but not the price.

Then I got a chance to hear the PSB Imagine X1T and really liked them. Turns out the image line is being discontinued, so I ended up ordering those instead.

Got a pair of T5, a pair of B4, and the C4 center channel for $830 new! Those normally retail for $1630.

I should probably get a better amp for these speakers. I think the onkyo puts out 100watts at 8 ohms. Or so it says. any suggestions?

Congratulations Justin! Thanks for posting your comparisons and welcome to impending PSB ownership.

A couple of comments...

Is it too late to swap out the C4 for a C5 or XC? These are a larger centre (5.25" woofers) and a slightly better match for the T5's. The C4 will do a good job though if it can't be managed.

Your Onkyo will be fine with the PSB's and I'd hold fire on replacing it for a bit. You'll get way more improvement in your system by upgrading the HTiB sub. Take a look at the offerings from respected ID brands like SVS, Rythmik Audio and Hsu Research.
post #5620 of 5639 Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How would one rate Image S5 as surrounds? They are retailing for $399.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5621 of 5639 Old 07-09-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp85 View Post

Hi,
I would agree with the C5 suggestion.
If you are in Canada, 2001 Audio and Video is having promotion, also you might want to check out Crutchfield.ca.
Good luck!
post #5622 of 5639 Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
It depends on your usage I reckon. If your dominant usage is movies, I personally think T5's as surrounds/rears is overcooking it, given the amount and type of content that is generally present in these channels. For movies, there would be better value for you in the Image B4's (say) as surrounds/rears and putting the difference towards a second closely matched sub. The B4's are a surprisingly capable little speaker.

On the other hand, if your passion is multichannel music where an excellent timbre match is more important and the surround channels are quite active, the T5's could make some sense because they're identical to your mains. The trouble is though, that you loose the advantage of a perfect timbre match if you then go for different/reference front towers in the future. You would at least need to go for Imagine X2T's, or ideally Image T6's (if you can find a pair) to maintain the excellent timbre match required for M/C music.

Hope that helps in your decision.
Hi GIEGAR,

That helps a lot!
I felt lucky that I am going down the right path... , however, I just ordered two pair of B6 from Crutchfield.ca, as they are on promotion and within my budget. I hope they will do match well to my existing speakers.
I have a Yamaha RXA280, would that be capable enough for my below 7.1 system speakers below?
PSB T5 x2
PSB C5 x1
PSB B6 x4
PSB Sub 5i

Btw, are you suggesting me to upgrade my Sub or add another Sub for the improvement? if so, what Sub would you recommend, and will work better with the speakers I already have?

Many thanks!

Bing

Last edited by bdong77; 07-09-2014 at 08:19 AM.
post #5623 of 5639 Old 07-09-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Congratulations Justin! Thanks for posting your comparisons and welcome to impending PSB ownership.

A couple of comments...

Is it too late to swap out the C4 for a C5 or XC? These are a larger centre (5.25" woofers) and a slightly better match for the T5's. The C4 will do a good job though if it can't be managed.

Your Onkyo will be fine with the PSB's and I'd hold fire on replacing it for a bit. You'll get way more improvement in your system by upgrading the HTiB sub. Take a look at the offerings from respected ID brands like SVS, Rythmik Audio and Hsu Research.
Thank you for the response.

I went with the C4 mainly because of the cabinet size. Since it's only 5.25" high, I can avoid mounting my tv for now. I built a small 3" riser for the tv. C5 is over 7.25".

Being on sale for $150 also helped with the decision. Imagine XC is $400 currently.

The odd thing is my current speakers all have the same driver size.
fronts are dual 5.25"...same as T5
center is dual 4"...same as C4
rear is single 4" ...same as B4.

I am probably going to keep the sub low, or take it out since it's an apartment.
post #5624 of 5639 Old 07-11-2014, 05:24 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdong77 View Post
Hi GIEGAR,

That helps a lot!
I felt lucky that I am going down the right path... , however, I just ordered two pair of B6 from Crutchfield.ca, as they are on promotion and within my budget. I hope they will do match well to my existing speakers.
I have a Yamaha RXA280, would that be capable enough for my below 7.1 system speakers below?
PSB T5 x2
PSB C5 x1
PSB B6 x4
PSB Sub 5i

Btw, are you suggesting me to upgrade my Sub or add another Sub for the improvement? if so, what Sub would you recommend, and will work better with the speakers I already have?

Many thanks!

Bing
I replaced my old Subsonic 5 with a Rythmik LV-12R (an internet brand) and the difference is incredible. There are much better subs for the same price as PSB from Rythmik, SVS, HSU, and Outlaw. I would serioulsy recommend you going that route. Check out my library .
post #5625 of 5639 Old 07-11-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What color are your B6's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
post #5626 of 5639 Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Cherry

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #5627 of 5639 Old 07-12-2014, 12:06 PM

My onkyo specs say
170 watts × 2 at 4 Ω
115 watts × 2 at 8 Ω

How many watts do you think it's pushing out at 6 ohms on all 5 channels?

The Image t5 is rated for 175w program and the center and surrounds are rated for 80w, all at 6 ohms.
post #5628 of 5639 Old 07-13-2014, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
B4 or B6 as presence?

Have a RX2030, yamaha that is

Upgrading from 5.2 to 9.2 just now. Bought one set PSB image b6 and one set image b4.

Which set should I use as presence?
They will be on the wall above my PSB imagine t6.
(And my lovely PSB imagine center in between, just under the pj screen)

And - which should I use as rear surrounds?
They will be on the back wall, behind me, above my PSB imagine MINI which resides on a four feet stand.

Thanks!
post #5629 of 5639 Old 07-21-2014, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi people! I just bought a pair of tower Image T6 and center C5. Should I set my AVR to 6 ohm or 8 ohm?
post #5630 of 5639 Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kianwee View Post
Hi people! I just bought a pair of tower Image T6 and center C5. Should I set my AVR to 6 ohm or 8 ohm?
Welcome to PSB ownership kianwee! Great choice of speakers.

Always use the 8Ω setting on the AVR. See this post for an explanation.

Please come back and let us know what you think when you're up and running.
post #5631 of 5639 Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 AM

T5 vs T6

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a pair of floor standing speakers for music playback. My budget is probably in the $700-1000 range. I'm on the verge of accepting a new job offer, and I want to get myself a gift of sorts. I've done a lot of research, and I've honed in PSB speakers.

I've heard great things about the T5 and T6, and when I started calling around, I found out that they're being discontinued. So with some discounts, they actually fall nicely within my range. And I'm trying to figure out if I'd be happy with the T5, or if I really should spend a couple hundred extra to go up to the T6.

I won't be using them with a sub, and right now they'd be in a smaller apartment living room, although I'm moving in a few months to a slightly bigger place. Are the T6s much louder? I'm afraid they might be overkill.

Not too long ago, the idea of spending close to $1000 on speakers would have been crazy to me. So I'm not eager to spend the extra money if I don't have to. But I plan on keeping these speakers for a while, so 5 (10?) years down the line, I don't want to regret being cheap.

I know that when it comes to audio gear, lots of people advise spending as close to the top of your budget as possible. But if anyone could give me some honest opinions I'd really appreciate it!
post #5632 of 5639 Old 07-21-2014, 06:07 PM

I had bought the PSB M2 speakers 2 weeks ago and LOVE every bit of it, I'm just wondering should I get the center, am I missing much with out the center for movies?

My set up, Kenwood sovereign + PSB M2 + Velodyne SPL 1000R + PC.
post #5633 of 5639 Old 07-22-2014, 05:46 AM

I'm in search of a center speaker and not sure if I should purchase the PSB Mini C ($507) that would match the two mini's I currently have for the front (rear speakers are in wall PSB CW26) or Imagine XC ($399). I have not auditioned these center speakers and was hoping for some suggestions.
post #5634 of 5639 Old 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Food for thought:
With Dolby Atmos coming out on mainstream AVRs (Pioneer, Onkyo, and Denon/Marantz) along with the high-end Trinnov Altitude this fall and winter, has anybody thought about how we could get PSB speakers to best integrate with Atmos?

One place for Atmos info in an HT environment is here:
The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

To have a proper Atmos configuration (5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4 etc., where the last digit is the number of heights), you'd need a minimum of two middle of the room "in-ceiling" speakers, and either four front and rear in-ceiling height speakers, or four L/R front and rear "Atmos-capable" speaker modules firing upward towards the ceiling to generate the proper reflections for the Atmos mix. Height capabilities are critical to get the "immersive" feel that Atmos is aiming for.

Pioneer and/or Onkyo are going to be marketing "Atmos capable" top-firing speakers, for example here:
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...s-and-speakers
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass
(Pioneer and Onkyo both have speakers with conventional drivers as well as top firing drivers facing the ceiling; the Onkyo link I posted is an "add-on" module that supposedly would go on top of bookshelf mains or surrounds)

We haven't heard anything from PSB AFAIK. And while some have suggested that "strap-on" speakers can be put on top of existing L/R fronts and surrounds, that would look very...ugly...on an Imagine or Image tower. And not all of us have the ability to add built-in speakers to our ceilings. Any thoughts about what may be in the pipeline?

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

Last edited by sdrucker; 07-22-2014 at 02:23 PM.
post #5635 of 5639 Old 07-22-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
There is no reason why you couldn't just point a pair or two of bookshelf speaker at the ceiling for Atmos. I think the dolby spec calls for a pretty directional driver so that you hear the reflected sound instead of the direct sound, but you could probably make it work. It wouldn't look as good as purpose made ceiling firing drivers like the Pioneers.

You could probably have good results by mounting some surround speakers to the ceiling as well.

I'm interested to see what format the movie studios start shipping in. It seems like most bluerays right now ship in 7.1 format. Does that mean that most Atmos sound tracks will be 7.1.2 or maybe 7.1.4? I'd probably want to wait and see the most popular blueray format before deciding on how to place my speakers.
post #5636 of 5639 Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Smith View Post
There is no reason why you couldn't just point a pair or two of bookshelf speaker at the ceiling for Atmos. I think the dolby spec calls for a pretty directional driver so that you hear the reflected sound instead of the direct sound, but you could probably make it work. It wouldn't look as good as purpose made ceiling firing drivers like the Pioneers.

You could probably have good results by mounting some surround speakers to the ceiling as well.
If you are interested in Atmos, why not do it right? In-ceiling speakers, as long as they are placed in the proper spots, would be fine. Pointing a pair of bookshelf speakers towards the ceiling, not such a good idea. The Atmos "strap-on" speakers have drivers with very strict dispersion patterns to enhance the effect, dispersion patterns not likely to be found on standard bookshelf speakers.
post #5637 of 5639 Old 07-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
If you are interested in Atmos, why not do it right? In-ceiling speakers, as long as they are placed in the proper spots, would be fine. Pointing a pair of bookshelf speakers towards the ceiling, not such a good idea. The Atmos "strap-on" speakers have drivers with very strict dispersion patterns to enhance the effect, dispersion patterns not likely to be found on standard bookshelf speakers.
I agree with that.
post #5638 of 5639 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
pnd

Whats up all, quick question if you don't mind,
The only t6s I've found are at my local audio (black) and they want $1040 +tax for floor models (the usual 20% off.)
Would I be crazy to even consider these since people were picking them up for $800 and under?
I do like supporting local business however, sometimes it comes down to the principal of spending $2-400 more dollars than the next person.
Would I be better off going to the x2t, t5?
Thanks for your replies, really appreciated.

Last edited by pnd; Yesterday at 01:56 PM.
post #5639 of 5639 Old Today, 09:54 AM

Anyone taking advantage of the sale on PSB Image products at Crutchfield? Am I correct in assuming that they are rolling the old Image components into the new Imagine "casing" and dumping the Image line on sale? As I understand it, the woofe/tweeter aren't changing...

I'm considering upgrading to the Image B5 from my original Alpha B's from 2002 (not the revised B1 a few years later). I'm perfectly happy with my Alpha B's and they are still in excellent shape but I'm debating if spending the $249.00 for the B5's will be a worthwhile upgrade or not as the sale is tempting.

Thanks!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page