PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 5733 Old 01-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Member
 
adrian457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to piece a PSB system together and I have a Yamaha 1800 (130 x 7 @ 8ohms). I'm looking at Image T65 for fronts, Image 9C for the center and 2 pairs of Image 10S for fronts and backs. I will eventually add a sub but have 2 Definitive subs I can use in the meantime. Would my receiver work well with this setup and also would there be any sound difference being I'm using the the current T65s with previous models 9C and 10S?
adrian457 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 5733 Old 01-25-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scientest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just to follow up with my original query; the folks at PSB are recommending the Synchrony line to match up with the Status Golds for my center channel and rears. Not a big surprise, but I was sort of hoping that they'd say the Image series could do the trick....
scientest is offline  
post #543 of 5733 Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Newbie
 
friedfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone having trouble hearing dialog in some standard definition dvd films. Room: 23' x 23' with pitched ceiling (A shaped ceiling), carpet, drywall. Seating is 14 feet from center.
System: Harmon Kardon avr 7200, denon 1920
I read an article in ultimateavmag about the C60s potential dialog problem with the T65s (suckout centered at 2.5kHz and laid back center channel response).
Any ideas? power/speaker upgrade? Thanks
friedfast is offline  
post #544 of 5733 Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PR Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebmd View Post

Any one compare the PSB alpha LR1 to the Orb Mod2 for a 5.1 systems. FYI I will be driving htis with Yamaha rxv1700. The system is for a small HT area with no flor space for towers and limited wall space around the plasma

Can tell you in a few days when my LR1's arrive, how the perform in my 5.1. I had ordered B25 for rears, but changed them to mains in my living room, just for music, and ordered a pair of LR1 for rears in my family room 5.1 system (T45/C40/LR1/HSU VTF2-MKIII)
PR Audio is offline  
post #545 of 5733 Old 01-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Senior Member
 
chameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: garden grove, ca
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
im looking to purchase a bookshelf speaker; leaning to purchasing a psb image b25 but i stumbled into a used ad for a psb stratus mini for about the same price in your opinion which one is better sound wise? i cannot make an ab comparison since the local dealer dont have the minis anymore. any opinions?
chameleon is offline  
post #546 of 5733 Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Member
 
Milord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think the Stratus Mini blows away the B25.
Milord is offline  
post #547 of 5733 Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Member
 
chameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: garden grove, ca
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
even with mediocre electronics?
ill be using an onkyo htib receiver for the meantime.
chameleon is offline  
post #548 of 5733 Old 01-27-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Alimentall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Home by the sea
Posts: 14,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think an htib will driver Stratus minis very well! They're lower in both efficiency and impedance.

John
Alimentall is offline  
post #549 of 5733 Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Member
 
drtoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
love my psb 6i and have 4 extra psb alpha lr1s and a alpha psb center if anyone needs some nudge nudge wink wink
jeff


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my setup
and setup vid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
drtoronto is offline  
post #550 of 5733 Old 01-27-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PR Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon View Post

even with mediocre electronics?
ill be using an onkyo htib receiver for the meantime.

The B25 is easier to drive that the Stratus Mini, but the Mini will blow it away in SQ. Don't think your Onkyo is a good match, as the Mini is power hungry and make the use of poor electronics and bad recording more noticeable.

If you think you will upgrade your receiver in the near future go for the Mini, if not I would say to stick to the B25.
PR Audio is offline  
post #551 of 5733 Old 01-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Flash01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick setup I want to run by you lads.

I have a Onkyo 605 (may have the chance to upgrade to a 705 but unsure yet) and I'm looking to update my speaker setup.

I have to decide between a PSB or Energy setup but that is left for another day.

Here's the setup I'm looking at.

Mains : T55 or T65 vs RC-30 (quite smaller but in the end it amounts to the same price for the T55)
Center : C60 vs RC-LCR
Sub : PSB 5i or Energy 10.3
Sats : Axiom QS8 (I have heard these at a friend and they rocked!.)

I still put the Energy in there just for kicks but I really want to know if this is a good PSB setup and if my 605 (or future 705) should be alright with these. Also wondering if I should stick with the matching Bipoles instead of the Axioms.

Thanks.
Flash01 is offline  
post #552 of 5733 Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
chameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: garden grove, ca
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
somebody beat me to the minis for $250 used i guess im going with the B25s dont think ill come across another deal that good thanks for your inputs
chameleon is offline  
post #553 of 5733 Old 01-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
chameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: garden grove, ca
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
will a 60 w per channel rotel integrated amp be good enough to power the stratus minis?
is it a good match? any opinions?
chameleon is offline  
post #554 of 5733 Old 01-28-2008, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PR Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash01 View Post

Quick setup I want to run by you lads.

I have a Onkyo 605 (may have the chance to upgrade to a 705 but unsure yet) and I'm looking to update my speaker setup.

I have to decide between a PSB or Energy setup but that is left for another day.

Here's the setup I'm looking at.

Mains : T55 or T65 vs RC-30 (quite smaller but in the end it amounts to the same price for the T55)
Center : C60 vs RC-LCR
Sub : PSB 5i or Energy 10.3
Sats : Axiom QS8 (I have heard these at a friend and they rocked!.)

I still put the Energy in there just for kicks but I really want to know if this is a good PSB setup and if my 605 (or future 705) should be alright with these. Also wondering if I should stick with the matching Bipoles instead of the Axioms.

Thanks.

I would go with the PSB pkg. After all this is the PSB thread. Both speaker series go head to head very well, but IMO PSB images better than the RC. PSB subs are superior than most out there, except for HSU, eD, SVS, Velodyne, and maybe one or two more. If you are buying the 5i as para of a pkg stay with it, but if you can buy separate try HSU VTF2-MKIII, better sub.
PR Audio is offline  
post #555 of 5733 Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Member
 
mwahlert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i am currently running ED a6-6t6 mains and a a6-5t5 mtm center. i haven't really been that happy with the center channel performance. i would like to upgrade to the larger a6-6t6 mtm to better match the performance of my mains - but i don't have room in my tv stand.

so - i am thinking about picking up a set of psb alpha t1 mains and a alpha c1 center. the center will fit and i like that the driver sizes match the t1 mains.

what do you guys think? am i making a good choice? i am probably downgrading as far as my main channels are concerned but i am looking for a better overall balance between mains and center so transitions are more fluid and dialog is more pronounced.

should i be worried about putting the rear ported center speaker in my tv cabinet?
mwahlert is offline  
post #556 of 5733 Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Flash01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio View Post

I would go with the PSB pkg. After all this is the PSB thread. Both speaker series go head to head very well, but IMO PSB images better than the RC. PSB subs are superior than most out there, except for HSU, eD, SVS, Velodyne, and maybe one or two more. If you are buying the 5i as para of a pkg stay with it, but if you can buy separate try HSU VTF2-MKIII, better sub.

Thanks a bunch. I'm inching closer to my decision and it will all depend on where I can get the best deal but certainly I love the sound of the PSB (T45 & Alpha) setup I heard. I have not *heard* the T55/T65 although I gather they are somewhat *similar* to the T45.

I have roughly 1700 cu.ft., should I invest the extra 200-300$ in the T65 instead of the T55? I'm unsure my Onkyo will be able to drive the T65 properly (being 6ohms and with a 200W rating).

Furthermore, how does the Image bipole sound? They are roughly the same price (where I can buy them) as Axiom QS8, which I think are simply amazing. Still wondering if I'm making a mistake not sticking with the same brand for the entire kit.

I also heard the PSB 6i & 5i and frankly I was impressed. For the price it sounded very good.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.
Flash01 is offline  
post #557 of 5733 Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Member
 
mwahlert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just ordered a set of alpha t1's and a c1 center
mwahlert is offline  
post #558 of 5733 Old 01-28-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PR Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash01 View Post

Thanks a bunch. I'm inching closer to my decision and it will all depend on where I can get the best deal but certainly I love the sound of the PSB (T45 & Alpha) setup I heard. I have not *heard* the T55/T65 although I gather they are somewhat *similar* to the T45.

I have roughly 1700 cu.ft., should I invest the extra 200-300$ in the T65 instead of the T55? I'm unsure my Onkyo will be able to drive the T65 properly (being 6ohms and with a 200W rating).

Furthermore, how does the Image bipole sound? They are roughly the same price (where I can buy them) as Axiom QS8, which I think are simply amazing. Still wondering if I'm making a mistake not sticking with the same brand for the entire kit.

I also heard the PSB 6i & 5i and frankly I was impressed. For the price it sounded very good.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

I was going to buy T55, and have never auditioned the T65. When I auditioned the T55 I didn't notice much difference from the T45, maybe some more bass extension. If you go by numbers the difference between T45 and T55 is only a 2-3 Hz in the low end; so, if using a sub IMO the extra few hundreds that the T55 cost is not worth it. Also, found the T45 to be a better sounding speaker when it came to mid details, and highs; the T55 was slightly muddy. So, I went with the T45, and I don't regret my decision.

PSB subs are not mentioned much, as companies like HSU, SVS, eD, etc. have been able to make very good subs at about the same price as the 6i and 5i, but if you check pro reviews you will see that PSB subs are always highly regarded.

You can find great PSB price at www.saturdayaudio.com
PR Audio is offline  
post #559 of 5733 Old 01-28-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PR Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post

i just ordered a set of alpha t1's and a c1 center

You will not be dissapointed at all. The new Alpha series is an improvement over the previous models, and have garnered excellent reviews. As an example Alpha B1 is 2007 Stereophile Budget Speaker of the Year, and it came in the top 10 of all the bookshelves Stereophile reviewed for the awards, regardless of price.
PR Audio is offline  
post #560 of 5733 Old 01-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
jmalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone tell me the difference between the T6 Images and the T65? Is there a big difference or is the T6 just an older model of the T65?

Thanks.
jmalto is offline  
post #561 of 5733 Old 01-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Member
 
FoeHammer865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Can anyone tell me the difference between the T6 Images and the T65? Is there a big difference or is the T6 just an older model of the T65?

Thanks.

Actually, it's the Image 6T, not "T6". But anyways. They are very similar in performance, and for the most part the T65 is just a freshening up of the 6T's. That being said, I have heard they do have some slightly redesigned crossovers and drivers and the performance is better than the previous gen. But I would expect that from any line that got "updated". I have not had a side by side, but from others that have, there is not a HUGE gain from one to the next. Both sound superb for their given price range. The specs are almost identical, at least when it comes to driver size, and cabinet dimensions. The construction of the drivers is slightly changed.

I assume you are looking at a used pair, and I would say Go FOR IT.

Good Luck!

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
FoeHammer865 is offline  
post #562 of 5733 Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Member
 
maseo503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey PSBers... I have a PSB 5.1 set-up and I went ahead an ordered another pair of B15s for a future 7.1. I got them today via UPS and I wanted to make sure they were working ok so I placed them on top of my T45s and bi-amp'd them with the fronts from my Onkyo 805. I thought that an odd set-up like this would wreck havoc on the soundstage but other than a much "brighter" presence...i was surprised at how managed the output remained... as long as the volume was kept in check... approaching 0.0db the B15s started to loose control. Back into the box they go until i have time to run the speaker cable...but I was just wondering if anyone had done anything like this before...
BTW...Love my PSBs (T45 C40 B15surrounds)... wouldn't have been possible without this great forum...
maseo503 is offline  
post #563 of 5733 Old 01-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Flash01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio View Post

PSB subs are not mentioned much, as companies like HSU, SVS, eD, etc. have been able to make very good subs at about the same price as the 6i and 5i, but if you check pro reviews you will see that PSB subs are always highly regarded.

You can find great PSB price at www.saturdayaudio.com

Thanks PR! I asked them to send me a quote and actually they have very acceptable shipping prices (to Canada) and solid prices overall. I'll probably order this week! I've read so many good things on this image series and what I heard was very convincing.

I guess I only need to decide between the PSB S50's or Axiom QS8 bipoles now.
Flash01 is offline  
post #564 of 5733 Old 01-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
milky way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milord View Post

I think the Stratus Mini blows away the B25.

Did you actually listen to both of them? I did, $ vs $, I don't think so.
milky way is offline  
post #565 of 5733 Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Member
 
Milord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No I didn't listen to the B25's but I have Silvers, have listened to Golds and Minis and can't imagine that the much cheaper B25 would compete. If it does, great bang for the buck.
Milord is offline  
post #566 of 5733 Old 01-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Newbie
 
Selkirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys-Needing a little help picking some ceiling speakers for my side surrounds for a 7.1 system. Here's my set up.

Sony 52XBR5 or Samsung 5271

Receiver-Marantz 7001

Sub-HSU VTF3-Mk3

PSB Image
Fronts L/R T-65's
Center C-60
Rear L/R surrounds B-15's wall mounted w/B-tech BT77
Side surrounds L/R- ceiling? This is were I need some help.

I was planning on using some B15 or 25's on stands but the wife wants to use in ceiling speakers here(no wires and worried about dogs knocking over stands).
Right now I have a old in-ceiling speaker that in a good spot and could use that hole for one of the speakers. Then only have to add a matching one on the other side. The cutout for this old speakers is 8 1/2" dia. and would like to use a speakers with a cutout of that size or larger. I was thinking something along the lines of CW88R/CW80R since their cutout is 9 11/16".

Quality/Price wise I would like to stay in the same range as my other speaker speaker. A deal is always nice if you know of one.



Room size is about 17'x30'x8' with a section of 17'x20' being used as the TV viewing area. Also there is (2) 8'Wx7'H openings to other rooms/entry and one 30"Wx7'H door to the kitchen.


Thanks for any advice you might have, also a thanks to PR for some advice previously received on my set up.

Selkirk
Selkirk is offline  
post #567 of 5733 Old 01-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
jmalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Selkirk: How do you like the T65's & C60? Have you ever compared to them to other speakers? I am very close to pulling the trigger on a set myself, but I am a little hesistant given all the great speakers now within the price range of these speakers. I have read a couple reviews complaining of muddy or lacking mid's performance, do you notice this as well? I will be pairing the speakers up to 2 MFW-15's so bass is not really an issue, but I would like the mid's to be clean. Basically I am looking for a good upgrade to my Athena AS-F2's that can play loud and clear. I am extremely tired of straining to hear dialog in movies and I hope the PSB's will solve that problem.

Thanks,

-Jonathan
jmalto is offline  
post #568 of 5733 Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PR Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 6T Images and the T65? Is there a big difference or is the T6 just an older model of the T65?

Thanks.

Older model of T65. Have never auditioned 6T, but in their time they were highly praised by reviewers. But, as the SQ difference between 6T and T65 I wouldn't know.
PR Audio is offline  
post #569 of 5733 Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PR Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseo503 View Post

Hey PSBers... I have a PSB 5.1 set-up and I went ahead an ordered another pair of B15s for a future 7.1. I got them today via UPS and I wanted to make sure they were working ok so I placed them on top of my T45s and bi-amp'd them with the fronts from my Onkyo 805. I thought that an odd set-up like this would wreck havoc on the soundstage but other than a much "brighter" presence...i was surprised at how managed the output remained... as long as the volume was kept in check... approaching 0.0db the B15s started to loose control. Back into the box they go until i have time to run the speaker cable...but I was just wondering if anyone had done anything like this before...
BTW...Love my PSBs (T45 C40 B15surrounds)... wouldn't have been possible without this great forum...

Same speakers here, but I was lucky as when I paid, Saturday Audio had ran out of B15's, and they upgraded my order to B25 rears for the same price.
PR Audio is offline  
post #570 of 5733 Old 01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PR Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash01 View Post

Thanks PR! I asked them to send me a quote and actually they have very acceptable shipping prices (to Canada) and solid prices overall. I'll probably order this week! I've read so many good things on this image series and what I heard was very convincing.

I guess I only need to decide between the PSB S50's or Axiom QS8 bipoles now.

Don't know how much you will pay for shipping, but to save some $$$ in shipping I would just go with the S50's and bring everything from the same source.
PR Audio is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off