PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
Speakers > PSB Speakers Owners thread
adrian457's Avatar adrian457 01:28 PM 01-25-2008
Looking to piece a PSB system together and I have a Yamaha 1800 (130 x 7 @ 8ohms). I'm looking at Image T65 for fronts, Image 9C for the center and 2 pairs of Image 10S for fronts and backs. I will eventually add a sub but have 2 Definitive subs I can use in the meantime. Would my receiver work well with this setup and also would there be any sound difference being I'm using the the current T65s with previous models 9C and 10S?

scientest's Avatar scientest 01:28 PM 01-25-2008
Just to follow up with my original query; the folks at PSB are recommending the Synchrony line to match up with the Status Golds for my center channel and rears. Not a big surprise, but I was sort of hoping that they'd say the Image series could do the trick....
friedfast's Avatar friedfast 04:40 PM 01-25-2008
Anyone having trouble hearing dialog in some standard definition dvd films. Room: 23' x 23' with pitched ceiling (A shaped ceiling), carpet, drywall. Seating is 14 feet from center.
System: Harmon Kardon avr 7200, denon 1920
I read an article in ultimateavmag about the C60s potential dialog problem with the T65s (suckout centered at 2.5kHz and laid back center channel response).
Any ideas? power/speaker upgrade? Thanks
PR Audio's Avatar PR Audio 06:27 PM 01-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebmd View Post

Any one compare the PSB alpha LR1 to the Orb Mod2 for a 5.1 systems. FYI I will be driving htis with Yamaha rxv1700. The system is for a small HT area with no flor space for towers and limited wall space around the plasma

Can tell you in a few days when my LR1's arrive, how the perform in my 5.1. I had ordered B25 for rears, but changed them to mains in my living room, just for music, and ordered a pair of LR1 for rears in my family room 5.1 system (T45/C40/LR1/HSU VTF2-MKIII)
chameleon's Avatar chameleon 01:35 AM 01-27-2008
im looking to purchase a bookshelf speaker; leaning to purchasing a psb image b25 but i stumbled into a used ad for a psb stratus mini for about the same price in your opinion which one is better sound wise? i cannot make an ab comparison since the local dealer dont have the minis anymore. any opinions?
Milord's Avatar Milord 08:50 AM 01-27-2008
I think the Stratus Mini blows away the B25.
chameleon's Avatar chameleon 10:04 AM 01-27-2008
even with mediocre electronics?
ill be using an onkyo htib receiver for the meantime.
Alimentall's Avatar Alimentall 10:15 AM 01-27-2008
I don't think an htib will driver Stratus minis very well! They're lower in both efficiency and impedance.
drtoronto's Avatar drtoronto 10:43 AM 01-27-2008
love my psb 6i and have 4 extra psb alpha lr1s and a alpha psb center if anyone needs some nudge nudge wink wink
jeff
PR Audio's Avatar PR Audio 03:01 PM 01-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon View Post

even with mediocre electronics?
ill be using an onkyo htib receiver for the meantime.

The B25 is easier to drive that the Stratus Mini, but the Mini will blow it away in SQ. Don't think your Onkyo is a good match, as the Mini is power hungry and make the use of poor electronics and bad recording more noticeable.

If you think you will upgrade your receiver in the near future go for the Mini, if not I would say to stick to the B25.
Flash01's Avatar Flash01 05:01 PM 01-27-2008
Quick setup I want to run by you lads.

I have a Onkyo 605 (may have the chance to upgrade to a 705 but unsure yet) and I'm looking to update my speaker setup.

I have to decide between a PSB or Energy setup but that is left for another day.

Here's the setup I'm looking at.

Mains : T55 or T65 vs RC-30 (quite smaller but in the end it amounts to the same price for the T55)
Center : C60 vs RC-LCR
Sub : PSB 5i or Energy 10.3
Sats : Axiom QS8 (I have heard these at a friend and they rocked!.)

I still put the Energy in there just for kicks but I really want to know if this is a good PSB setup and if my 605 (or future 705) should be alright with these. Also wondering if I should stick with the matching Bipoles instead of the Axioms.

Thanks.
chameleon's Avatar chameleon 08:02 PM 01-27-2008
somebody beat me to the minis for $250 used i guess im going with the B25s dont think ill come across another deal that good thanks for your inputs
chameleon's Avatar chameleon 09:08 PM 01-27-2008
will a 60 w per channel rotel integrated amp be good enough to power the stratus minis?
is it a good match? any opinions?
PR Audio's Avatar PR Audio 04:47 AM 01-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash01 View Post

Quick setup I want to run by you lads.

I have a Onkyo 605 (may have the chance to upgrade to a 705 but unsure yet) and I'm looking to update my speaker setup.

I have to decide between a PSB or Energy setup but that is left for another day.

Here's the setup I'm looking at.

Mains : T55 or T65 vs RC-30 (quite smaller but in the end it amounts to the same price for the T55)
Center : C60 vs RC-LCR
Sub : PSB 5i or Energy 10.3
Sats : Axiom QS8 (I have heard these at a friend and they rocked!.)

I still put the Energy in there just for kicks but I really want to know if this is a good PSB setup and if my 605 (or future 705) should be alright with these. Also wondering if I should stick with the matching Bipoles instead of the Axioms.

Thanks.

I would go with the PSB pkg. After all this is the PSB thread. Both speaker series go head to head very well, but IMO PSB images better than the RC. PSB subs are superior than most out there, except for HSU, eD, SVS, Velodyne, and maybe one or two more. If you are buying the 5i as para of a pkg stay with it, but if you can buy separate try HSU VTF2-MKIII, better sub.
mwahlert's Avatar mwahlert 08:56 AM 01-28-2008
i am currently running ED a6-6t6 mains and a a6-5t5 mtm center. i haven't really been that happy with the center channel performance. i would like to upgrade to the larger a6-6t6 mtm to better match the performance of my mains - but i don't have room in my tv stand.

so - i am thinking about picking up a set of psb alpha t1 mains and a alpha c1 center. the center will fit and i like that the driver sizes match the t1 mains.

what do you guys think? am i making a good choice? i am probably downgrading as far as my main channels are concerned but i am looking for a better overall balance between mains and center so transitions are more fluid and dialog is more pronounced.

should i be worried about putting the rear ported center speaker in my tv cabinet?
Flash01's Avatar Flash01 11:42 AM 01-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio View Post

I would go with the PSB pkg. After all this is the PSB thread. Both speaker series go head to head very well, but IMO PSB images better than the RC. PSB subs are superior than most out there, except for HSU, eD, SVS, Velodyne, and maybe one or two more. If you are buying the 5i as para of a pkg stay with it, but if you can buy separate try HSU VTF2-MKIII, better sub.

Thanks a bunch. I'm inching closer to my decision and it will all depend on where I can get the best deal but certainly I love the sound of the PSB (T45 & Alpha) setup I heard. I have not *heard* the T55/T65 although I gather they are somewhat *similar* to the T45.

I have roughly 1700 cu.ft., should I invest the extra 200-300$ in the T65 instead of the T55? I'm unsure my Onkyo will be able to drive the T65 properly (being 6ohms and with a 200W rating).

Furthermore, how does the Image bipole sound? They are roughly the same price (where I can buy them) as Axiom QS8, which I think are simply amazing. Still wondering if I'm making a mistake not sticking with the same brand for the entire kit.

I also heard the PSB 6i & 5i and frankly I was impressed. For the price it sounded very good.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.
mwahlert's Avatar mwahlert 05:18 PM 01-28-2008
i just ordered a set of alpha t1's and a c1 center
PR Audio's Avatar PR Audio 07:35 PM 01-28-2008
Quote:

Thanks a bunch. I'm inching closer to my decision and it will all depend on where I can get the best deal but certainly I love the sound of the PSB (T45 & Alpha) setup I heard. I have not *heard* the T55/T65 although I gather they are somewhat *similar* to the T45.

I have roughly 1700 cu.ft., should I invest the extra 200-300$ in the T65 instead of the T55? I'm unsure my Onkyo will be able to drive the T65 properly (being 6ohms and with a 200W rating).

Furthermore, how does the Image bipole sound? They are roughly the same price (where I can buy them) as Axiom QS8, which I think are simply amazing. Still wondering if I'm making a mistake not sticking with the same brand for the entire kit.

I also heard the PSB 6i & 5i and frankly I was impressed. For the price it sounded very good.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

I was going to buy T55, and have never auditioned the T65. When I auditioned the T55 I didn't notice much difference from the T45, maybe some more bass extension. If you go by numbers the difference between T45 and T55 is only a 2-3 Hz in the low end; so, if using a sub IMO the extra few hundreds that the T55 cost is not worth it. Also, found the T45 to be a better sounding speaker when it came to mid details, and highs; the T55 was slightly muddy. So, I went with the T45, and I don't regret my decision.

PSB subs are not mentioned much, as companies like HSU, SVS, eD, etc. have been able to make very good subs at about the same price as the 6i and 5i, but if you check pro reviews you will see that PSB subs are always highly regarded.

You can find great PSB price at www.saturdayaudio.com
PR Audio's Avatar PR Audio 07:36 PM 01-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post

i just ordered a set of alpha t1's and a c1 center

You will not be dissapointed at all. The new Alpha series is an improvement over the previous models, and have garnered excellent reviews. As an example Alpha B1 is 2007 Stereophile Budget Speaker of the Year, and it came in the top 10 of all the bookshelves Stereophile reviewed for the awards, regardless of price.
jmalto's Avatar jmalto 07:40 PM 01-28-2008
Can anyone tell me the difference between the T6 Images and the T65? Is there a big difference or is the T6 just an older model of the T65?

Thanks.
FoeHammer865's Avatar FoeHammer865 08:49 PM 01-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Can anyone tell me the difference between the T6 Images and the T65? Is there a big difference or is the T6 just an older model of the T65?

Thanks.

Actually, it's the Image 6T, not "T6". But anyways. They are very similar in performance, and for the most part the T65 is just a freshening up of the 6T's. That being said, I have heard they do have some slightly redesigned crossovers and drivers and the performance is better than the previous gen. But I would expect that from any line that got "updated". I have not had a side by side, but from others that have, there is not a HUGE gain from one to the next. Both sound superb for their given price range. The specs are almost identical, at least when it comes to driver size, and cabinet dimensions. The construction of the drivers is slightly changed.

I assume you are looking at a used pair, and I would say Go FOR IT.

Good Luck!
maseo503's Avatar maseo503 09:27 PM 01-28-2008
Hey PSBers... I have a PSB 5.1 set-up and I went ahead an ordered another pair of B15s for a future 7.1. I got them today via UPS and I wanted to make sure they were working ok so I placed them on top of my T45s and bi-amp'd them with the fronts from my Onkyo 805. I thought that an odd set-up like this would wreck havoc on the soundstage but other than a much "brighter" presence...i was surprised at how managed the output remained... as long as the volume was kept in check... approaching 0.0db the B15s started to loose control. Back into the box they go until i have time to run the speaker cable...but I was just wondering if anyone had done anything like this before...
BTW...Love my PSBs (T45 C40 B15surrounds)... wouldn't have been possible without this great forum...
Flash01's Avatar Flash01 07:30 AM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio View Post

PSB subs are not mentioned much, as companies like HSU, SVS, eD, etc. have been able to make very good subs at about the same price as the 6i and 5i, but if you check pro reviews you will see that PSB subs are always highly regarded.

You can find great PSB price at www.saturdayaudio.com

Thanks PR! I asked them to send me a quote and actually they have very acceptable shipping prices (to Canada) and solid prices overall. I'll probably order this week! I've read so many good things on this image series and what I heard was very convincing.

I guess I only need to decide between the PSB S50's or Axiom QS8 bipoles now.
milky way's Avatar milky way 12:22 PM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milord View Post

I think the Stratus Mini blows away the B25.

Did you actually listen to both of them? I did, $ vs $, I don't think so.
Milord's Avatar Milord 12:31 PM 01-29-2008
No I didn't listen to the B25's but I have Silvers, have listened to Golds and Minis and can't imagine that the much cheaper B25 would compete. If it does, great bang for the buck.
Selkirk's Avatar Selkirk 04:27 PM 01-29-2008
Hi guys-Needing a little help picking some ceiling speakers for my side surrounds for a 7.1 system. Here's my set up.

Sony 52XBR5 or Samsung 5271

Receiver-Marantz 7001

Sub-HSU VTF3-Mk3

PSB Image
Fronts L/R T-65's
Center C-60
Rear L/R surrounds B-15's wall mounted w/B-tech BT77
Side surrounds L/R- ceiling? This is were I need some help.

I was planning on using some B15 or 25's on stands but the wife wants to use in ceiling speakers here(no wires and worried about dogs knocking over stands).
Right now I have a old in-ceiling speaker that in a good spot and could use that hole for one of the speakers. Then only have to add a matching one on the other side. The cutout for this old speakers is 8 1/2" dia. and would like to use a speakers with a cutout of that size or larger. I was thinking something along the lines of CW88R/CW80R since their cutout is 9 11/16".

Quality/Price wise I would like to stay in the same range as my other speaker speaker. A deal is always nice if you know of one.

Room size is about 17'x30'x8' with a section of 17'x20' being used as the TV viewing area. Also there is (2) 8'Wx7'H openings to other rooms/entry and one 30"Wx7'H door to the kitchen.

Thanks for any advice you might have, also a thanks to PR for some advice previously received on my set up.

Selkirk
jmalto's Avatar jmalto 04:33 PM 01-29-2008
Selkirk: How do you like the T65's & C60? Have you ever compared to them to other speakers? I am very close to pulling the trigger on a set myself, but I am a little hesistant given all the great speakers now within the price range of these speakers. I have read a couple reviews complaining of muddy or lacking mid's performance, do you notice this as well? I will be pairing the speakers up to 2 MFW-15's so bass is not really an issue, but I would like the mid's to be clean. Basically I am looking for a good upgrade to my Athena AS-F2's that can play loud and clear. I am extremely tired of straining to hear dialog in movies and I hope the PSB's will solve that problem.

Thanks,

-Jonathan
PR Audio's Avatar PR Audio 04:37 PM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 6T Images and the T65? Is there a big difference or is the T6 just an older model of the T65?

Thanks.

Older model of T65. Have never auditioned 6T, but in their time they were highly praised by reviewers. But, as the SQ difference between 6T and T65 I wouldn't know.
PR Audio's Avatar PR Audio 04:41 PM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseo503 View Post

Hey PSBers... I have a PSB 5.1 set-up and I went ahead an ordered another pair of B15s for a future 7.1. I got them today via UPS and I wanted to make sure they were working ok so I placed them on top of my T45s and bi-amp'd them with the fronts from my Onkyo 805. I thought that an odd set-up like this would wreck havoc on the soundstage but other than a much "brighter" presence...i was surprised at how managed the output remained... as long as the volume was kept in check... approaching 0.0db the B15s started to loose control. Back into the box they go until i have time to run the speaker cable...but I was just wondering if anyone had done anything like this before...
BTW...Love my PSBs (T45 C40 B15surrounds)... wouldn't have been possible without this great forum...

Same speakers here, but I was lucky as when I paid, Saturday Audio had ran out of B15's, and they upgraded my order to B25 rears for the same price.
PR Audio's Avatar PR Audio 04:42 PM 01-29-2008
Quote:

Thanks PR! I asked them to send me a quote and actually they have very acceptable shipping prices (to Canada) and solid prices overall. I'll probably order this week! I've read so many good things on this image series and what I heard was very convincing.

I guess I only need to decide between the PSB S50's or Axiom QS8 bipoles now.

Don't know how much you will pay for shipping, but to save some $$$ in shipping I would just go with the S50's and bring everything from the same source.
Tags: Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop