Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #5791 of 5798 Old 10-22-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 810
I have a blown tweeter on one of my Synchrony Ones.

It is pretty obvious:

Has anyone ever had to replace a tweeter? Did you do it yourself, or did you need to return the speaker to a repair center? How much does a typical tweeter cost (or a return/repair)?

Edited to add: Does anyone know for sure whether the tweeters across some PSB lines are the same? For example, is the tweeter in my Imagine B the same as the Synchrony One tweeter? How about the tweeter in my Imagine Mini?

Last edited by AustinJerry; 10-22-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5798 Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have a blown tweeter on one of my Synchrony Ones.

It is pretty obvious:

Has anyone ever had to replace a tweeter? Did you do it yourself, or did you need to return the speaker to a repair center? How much does a typical tweeter cost (or a return/repair)?

Edited to add: Does anyone know for sure whether the tweeters across some PSB lines are the same? For example, is the tweeter in my Imagine B the same as the Synchrony One tweeter? How about the tweeter in my Imagine Mini?
Quick sanity check - have you made sure that the input terminals are all tight? If the bridging clips are loose, or you're bi-amping / bi-wiring, that could explain the behavior.

Hoping this is it, and not a blown tweeter.
post #5793 of 5798 Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have checked the binding posts to make sure the connections are tight. BTW, the top binding posts connect the midrange as well as the tweeter, so a loose connection would affect both drivers.

There is some good news, though. The rubber surround for the tweeter comes right off, revealing four screws that hold the tweeter in place. I removed the screws, and the tweeter slides right out. I anticipate that PSB support will be able to ship me a replacement tweeter for self-installation. Much better than shipping a tower speaker back to a repair center. I'm starting to feel better now...

Edited to add: I checked the tweeters on my Imagine B's, and they don't look to be the same.

Edited to add: Joy! Ordered replacement tweeter from PSB Parts, cost $70, arriving on Monday.
Brian Fineberg and beaveav like this.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 10-22-2014 at 07:08 AM.
post #5794 of 5798 Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Glad to hear you have it under control. I was going to tell you that it's easy to remove the rubber ring around the tweeter and then simply unscrew it, but you're already there. What is the part number for the tweeter given on the back of it? The Imagine tweeters say PSB 1N 11NH on the sticker on the back of the heat sink. I'm not at home so I can't look inside my Synchrony right now.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #5795 of 5798 Old 10-22-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
Glad to hear you have it under control. I was going to tell you that it's easy to remove the rubber ring around the tweeter and then simply unscrew it, but you're already there. What is the part number for the tweeter given on the back of it? The Imagine tweeters say PSB 1N 11NH on the sticker on the back of the heat sink. I'm not at home so I can't look inside my Synchrony right now.
The Synchrony tweeter part number is PSB SY 101.

Just to make sure it is the tweeter that is defective, and not the crossover electronics, I swapped tweeters in the two Synchrony towers. Confirmed--it's the tweeter. I'll be back up and running by Monday.

Actually, since a lot of what I am watching these days is satellite TV programming, which is heavy on center-channel content, I can hardly tell that the tweeter is dead. It could have stayed that way for a while, but I happened to run the speaker level-setting white noise and immediately could tell something was wrong.
post #5796 of 5798 Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
The Synchrony tweeter part number is PSB SY 101.

Just to make sure it is the tweeter that is defective, and not the crossover electronics, I swapped tweeters in the two Synchrony towers. Confirmed--it's the tweeter. I'll be back up and running by Monday.

Actually, since a lot of what I am watching these days is satellite TV programming, which is heavy on center-channel content, I can hardly tell that the tweeter is dead. It could have stayed that way for a while, but I happened to run the speaker level-setting white noise and immediately could tell something was wrong.
Ah, yes, that's right - PSB SY 101. I couldn't remember. Thanks.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #5797 of 5798 Old 10-27-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Personally, I would look around to see if you could pick up a Synchrony 2 center. Otherwise, the PSB speaker line uses the same tweeters across many of the models, so you really can't go wrong with the Imagine XB's, IMO. I have Imagine B's as surrounds with my Synchrony One's, and they match quite nicely.
Well, I was able to find a good deal on a pair of Synchrony surround speakers.

However, I have not found any Synchrony two centers available. How poorly do folks think an Imagine center would match up to my Synchrony two towers? I suppose I could just roll without a center until I can find a used Synchrony two center for sale.

Thanks for the advice
post #5798 of 5798 Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am going to ask a question that may seem very stupid to many of you. I am new to the Home Theatre setup and bought my first recently from a PSB authorised dealer. It was a demo version. He gave me a very good dealing the Image T6 ($450 a pair). He had them for around 2 years and mostly stayed in his cabinets. He played the speakers and they seemed fine to my inexperienced, ignorant ears. I will be moving out of the country soon and was wondering if there was anyway to check if everything is fine.

He did say it comes with warranty and I saw someone post about their dead tweeter. I read about frequencies, decibels etc but still struggle to understand. Don't know much but would buying a SPL meter help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page