PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 194 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5791 of 5796 Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 792
I have a blown tweeter on one of my Synchrony Ones.

It is pretty obvious:



Has anyone ever had to replace a tweeter? Did you do it yourself, or did you need to return the speaker to a repair center? How much does a typical tweeter cost (or a return/repair)?

Edited to add: Does anyone know for sure whether the tweeters across some PSB lines are the same? For example, is the tweeter in my Imagine B the same as the Synchrony One tweeter? How about the tweeter in my Imagine Mini?

Last edited by AustinJerry; Yesterday at 06:09 AM.
AustinJerry is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5792 of 5796 Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM
Member
 
danielb6752's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have a blown tweeter on one of my Synchrony Ones.

It is pretty obvious:



Has anyone ever had to replace a tweeter? Did you do it yourself, or did you need to return the speaker to a repair center? How much does a typical tweeter cost (or a return/repair)?

Edited to add: Does anyone know for sure whether the tweeters across some PSB lines are the same? For example, is the tweeter in my Imagine B the same as the Synchrony One tweeter? How about the tweeter in my Imagine Mini?
Quick sanity check - have you made sure that the input terminals are all tight? If the bridging clips are loose, or you're bi-amping / bi-wiring, that could explain the behavior.

Hoping this is it, and not a blown tweeter.
danielb6752 is offline  
post #5793 of 5796 Old Yesterday, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have checked the binding posts to make sure the connections are tight. BTW, the top binding posts connect the midrange as well as the tweeter, so a loose connection would affect both drivers.

There is some good news, though. The rubber surround for the tweeter comes right off, revealing four screws that hold the tweeter in place. I removed the screws, and the tweeter slides right out. I anticipate that PSB support will be able to ship me a replacement tweeter for self-installation. Much better than shipping a tower speaker back to a repair center. I'm starting to feel better now...

Edited to add: I checked the tweeters on my Imagine B's, and they don't look to be the same.

Edited to add: Joy! Ordered replacement tweeter from PSB Parts, cost $70, arriving on Monday.
Brian Fineberg and beaveav like this.

Last edited by AustinJerry; Yesterday at 07:08 AM.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #5794 of 5796 Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Glad to hear you have it under control. I was going to tell you that it's easy to remove the rubber ring around the tweeter and then simply unscrew it, but you're already there. What is the part number for the tweeter given on the back of it? The Imagine tweeters say PSB 1N 11NH on the sticker on the back of the heat sink. I'm not at home so I can't look inside my Synchrony right now.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
beaveav is offline  
post #5795 of 5796 Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
Glad to hear you have it under control. I was going to tell you that it's easy to remove the rubber ring around the tweeter and then simply unscrew it, but you're already there. What is the part number for the tweeter given on the back of it? The Imagine tweeters say PSB 1N 11NH on the sticker on the back of the heat sink. I'm not at home so I can't look inside my Synchrony right now.
The Synchrony tweeter part number is PSB SY 101.

Just to make sure it is the tweeter that is defective, and not the crossover electronics, I swapped tweeters in the two Synchrony towers. Confirmed--it's the tweeter. I'll be back up and running by Monday.

Actually, since a lot of what I am watching these days is satellite TV programming, which is heavy on center-channel content, I can hardly tell that the tweeter is dead. It could have stayed that way for a while, but I happened to run the speaker level-setting white noise and immediately could tell something was wrong.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #5796 of 5796 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The Synchrony tweeter part number is PSB SY 101.

Just to make sure it is the tweeter that is defective, and not the crossover electronics, I swapped tweeters in the two Synchrony towers. Confirmed--it's the tweeter. I'll be back up and running by Monday.

Actually, since a lot of what I am watching these days is satellite TV programming, which is heavy on center-channel content, I can hardly tell that the tweeter is dead. It could have stayed that way for a while, but I happened to run the speaker level-setting white noise and immediately could tell something was wrong.
Ah, yes, that's right - PSB SY 101. I couldn't remember. Thanks.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
beaveav is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off