16Likes
post #5851 of 5878 Old 12-04-2014, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
I'm heading over to the Saturday Audio party in about 45 minutes....I'll ask Paul Barton what he considers to be the major differences in the speaker tech vs. the Synchrony One. IDK if they still have Synchrony speakers set up in their HT rooms though.
Definitely post your findings on this!!!!

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 5878 Old 12-04-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
Definitely post your findings on this!!!!

Just did - look a couple of posts up (post #5850)!

Forgot to mention: PSB, NAD etc. are definitely aware of AVS. They're not active posters or readers, but they do know that very definite opinions of Synchrony and NAD components are discussed here. My guess is that some of their marketing folks read occasionally but nothing was actually said.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

Last edited by sdrucker; 12-04-2014 at 11:45 PM.
post #5853 of 5878 Old 12-05-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
It looks like the new NAD gear came out to play. Was that the source components, and if so what did you think of them?
Yes, it was (the NAD pre/pro, amp, and the Bluesound streamer). Frankly, the T3 and the amps were my focus, but one nice thing about the Bluesound Vault was that it not only could stream, but had a built-in CD burner and could look up album info and art. The latter's certainly available elsewhere, but as an AIO device, the roughly $450 for the Vault is cheaper than, say, building your own HTPC. And it was controllable on an iPad through the dealer's WiFi network. I'm sticking with JRiver on a NUC and an NAS drive personally, so it was of anecdotal interest.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #5854 of 5878 Old 12-05-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicKnights View Post
I've got a pair of PSB Image B6s and a C5 on the way. Can't wait to get them.

I'm looking at surround speakers now. I'm afraid I'll be limited to smaller rear speakers due to my room layout. Would the Imagine Minis be a good match for surround speakers? Since the Imagines are supposed to be a step up from the Images, could these minis outshine my other PSBs?
why not Image B4's? its what I have and they work great for surrounds
GIEGAR likes this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #5855 of 5878 Old 12-05-2014, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
why not Image B4's? its what I have and they work great for surrounds
I never considered the B4s because I didn't know they were that small (9.25"H x 5.25"W x 6.875"D). That's actually smaller then the Imagine Minis (9.375"H x 5.6875"W x 8.25"D). Doesn't PSB advertise the Minis as their smallest speaker ever?
post #5856 of 5878 Old 12-05-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:
Hey guys,
I had a chance to not only demo the Image T3s tonight at Saturday Audio, but do some Q and A with Paul Barton about the T3 and a few other topics. I've attached a picture of the T3 in action, as well as another picture showing the NAD M17 and M22. This post may be long, so bear with me.

Unfortunately the room (maybe 12x10) wasn't set up to demo more than the T3, so I couldn't do any direct comparisons against either the Imagine T2 I currently have, or the Synchrony One. My overall impression, having heard both of these speakers before, is that the T3 can put out a huge sound...basically more of what we already have heard from the Synchrony One, but more so.

Paul cited four main differences vs. the Synchrony One:
a) Deeper bass (more extension than the Synchrony)
b) Higher SPL sensitivity, meaning it can be played louder with less energy required
c) A greater overall surface area of the drivers, specifically the new larger 7" woofers, which he referred to as almost "horn loaded"
d) With new improvements in the technology for the 5 1/4" midrange and tweeters, and improvements in the materials used for drivers (you can read about this on the PSB site), overall less distortion

I brought up the capability in the PSB brochures about being able to "short out" the lower woofer, which crosses to the next woofer at 100 Hz in his transitional design, and he suggested that this active method of absorption will have a moderate effect (he literally said a few db reduction in room mode), but will be very beneficial to those of us that have subs and would otherwise waste that lower woofer. With the woofer design, the responses aren't brick walls below the transition to next woofer in the transitional array, so I'd be curious to see what this actually means in practice for crossing vs. subs.

Something else he said was that the T3, unlike the Synchrony One, could be more appropriately used in less than gargantuan room due to changes in the driver sizes. something they introduced in response to the issues associated with users in older buildings with concrete walls, especially in Europe and Asia vs. the drywall he says is dominant in North America. Supposedly the new way the transitional array of woofers in the T3 and the top midrange driver are set up will help deal with undesirable boominess in the lowest frequencies for a more traditional use of the bottom woofer as a "full range" speaker.

As to the listening experience? I heard three tunes, streamed by Paul from his Bluesound Vault (a new media streamer from a sister company): an acoustic version of Nils Lofgren's "Keith Don't Go", Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem", and an electronic music cut I wasn't familiar with that had prominent synth bass. With the M22 (two channel version of the NAD M27 I'm buying) and the M17, I can't say that the T3 had any issues with either high frequencies (Paul cited the snare drums on Keith Don't Go as an example of how loud the speakers can accurately play without distortion - he said up to 115 db SPL FWIW).

The acoustic guitars on the first two tunes was very clear and lifelike, so much so that I had first thought walking to the HT room that they had a live guitar player for the event. Bass on "Spanish Harlem" was tight and deep, and Rebecca Pidgeon's vocals were distinct and at least as well voiced as I've heard in other demos at Saturday Audio. My own feeling, overall, is that I wouldn't necessarily swap my Synchrony One or T2 for these speakers unless I was setting up a larger dedicated HT room that needed higher volumes, but I'd highly recommend them as a new purchase for building a flagship PSB system. Even if you have subs, the "active absorption" feature could be appealing to manage specific rooms. I suggested to Paul that to appeal to AVSers, we'd need bench tests in the speaker reviews showing the impact of the "shorting out", and more than that, a white paper about the technology.

Two other things of interest to at least some of us:
a) PSB is working on Dolby Atmos add-on modules that would be used with existing speakers. No details about timing and which speakers, but they're aware that Dolby Elevation speakers are highly appealing to many planning Atmos configurations. However, right now these are "caps" on top of their towers, and not hybrid forward/top-firing bookshelves.
b) We discussed my Imagine Surround S speakers briefly, which I use in dual mono channel mode to simulate a 7.1 system. Paul suggested that optimal placements for these speakers are to have one of the drivers firing toward the front of the room, and the other toward the back wall, with the speakers physically located slightly in back of the listener (which is a space issue for some of us).

One thing - he certainly works hard! He told me that he was in the midst of a 22 day road trip, starting in China, and that he had 10 different cities to visit before he comes back home next week.
Nice review, Stuart. Why is it that audiophiles like Rebecca Pidgeon so much for demos? Outside of demo disks, I have never heard of her. Almost like Jennifer Warnes...
post #5857 of 5878 Old 12-05-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys,
I had a chance to not only demo the Image T3s tonight at Saturday Audio, but do some Q and A with Paul Barton about the T3 and a few other topics. I've attached a picture of the T3 in action, as well as another picture showing the NAD M17 and M22. This post may be long, so bear with me.

Unfortunately the room (maybe 12x10) wasn't set up to demo more than the T3, so I couldn't do any direct comparisons against either the Imagine T2 I currently have, or the Synchrony One. My overall impression, having heard both of these speakers before, is that the T3 can put out a huge sound...basically more of what we already have heard from the Synchrony One, but more so.

b) Higher SPL sensitivity, meaning it can be played louder with less energy required
c) A greater overall surface area of the drivers, specifically the new larger 7" woofers, which he referred to as almost "horn loaded"
d) With new improvements in the technology for the 5 1/4" midrange and tweeters, and improvements in the materials used for drivers (you can read about this on the PSB site), overall less distortion

I brought up the capability in the PSB brochures about being able to "short out" the lower woofer, which crosses to the next woofer at 100 Hz in his transitional design, and he suggested that this active method of absorption will have a moderate effect (he literally said a few db reduction in room mode), but will be very beneficial to those of us that have subs and would otherwise waste that lower woofer. With the woofer design, the responses aren't brick walls below the transition to next woofer in the transitional array, so I'd be curious to see what this actually means in practice for crossing vs. subs.

Something else he said was that the T3, unlike the Synchrony One, could be more appropriately used in less than gargantuan room due to changes in the driver sizes. something they introduced in response to the issues associated with users in older buildings with concrete walls, especially in Europe and Asia vs. the drywall he says is dominant in North America. Supposedly the new way the transitional array of woofers in the T3 and the top midrange driver are set up will help deal with undesirable boominess in the lowest frequencies for a more traditional use of the bottom woofer as a "full range" speaker.

As to the listening experience? I heard three tunes, streamed by Paul from his Bluesound Vault (a new media streamer from a sister company): an acoustic version of Nils Lofgren's "Keith Don't Go", Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem", and an electronic music cut I wasn't familiar with that had prominent synth bass. With the M22 (two channel version of the NAD M27 I'm buying) and the M17, I can't say that the T3 had any issues with either high frequencies (Paul cited the snare drums on Keith Don't Go as an example of how loud the speakers can accurately play without distortion - he said up to 115 db SPL FWIW).

The acoustic guitars on the first two tunes was very clear and lifelike, so much so that I had first thought walking to the HT room that they had a live guitar player for the event. Bass on "Spanish Harlem" was tight and deep, and Rebecca Pidgeon's vocals were distinct and at least as well voiced as I've heard in other demos at Saturday Audio. My own feeling, overall, is that I wouldn't necessarily swap my Synchrony One or T2 for these speakers unless I was setting up a larger dedicated HT room that needed higher volumes, but I'd highly recommend them as a new purchase for building a flagship PSB system. Even if you have subs, the "active absorption" feature could be appealing to manage specific rooms. I suggested to Paul that to appeal to AVSers, we'd need bench tests in the speaker reviews showing the impact of the "shorting out", and more than that, a white paper about the technology.

a) PSB is working on Dolby Atmos add-on modules that would be used with existing speakers. No details about timing and which speakers, but they're aware that Dolby Elevation speakers are highly appealing to many planning Atmos configurations. However, right now these are "caps" on top of their towers, and not hybrid forward/top-firing bookshelves.
b) We discussed my Imagine Surround S speakers briefly, which I use in dual mono channel mode to simulate a 7.1 system. Paul suggested that optimal placements for these speakers are to have one of the drivers firing toward the front of the room, and the other toward the back wall, with the speakers physically located slightly in back of the listener (which is a space issue for some of us).

One thing - he certainly works hard! He told me that he was in the midst of a 22 day road trip, starting in China, and that he had 10 different cities to visit before he comes back home next week.
Nice review! From what I am getting, despite not having a side by side comparison, you think the T2 and T3 have essentially the same sound the only difference being the "more"?

I noticed a sub in your photos. Did Paul do the demo with and without the sub?
post #5858 of 5878 Old 12-05-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalton90 View Post
Nice review! From what I am getting, despite not having a side by side comparison, you think the T2 and T3 have essentially the same sound the only difference being the "more"?

I noticed a sub in your photos. Did Paul do the demo with and without the sub?
Thanks! The HT room had their standard sub that you see, but AFAIK it was a straight two-channel demo. They usually leave the subs off for speaker demos unless their customer asks. I'll check but I think Audyssey (MultiEQ XT) was also off. In a small, moderately treated room for music that's less of an issue than it would be for movies and/or a multichannel setup.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

Last edited by sdrucker; 12-05-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #5859 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Hey guys,

Wow, I was hoping PSB was working on Dolby Atmos Modules! I wonder if they'll show them at CES? I have Synchrony One towers in front & Synchrony Two towers in back, so I hope the modules will fit both.
post #5860 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Nice review, Stuart. Why is it that audiophiles like Rebecca Pidgeon so much for demos? Outside of demo disks, I have never heard of her. Almost like Jennifer Warnes...
It was an awesome recording back in the days, used so much for demos and evaluating components that some people continue to use it even now. I personally feel there are recent better recordings out there for evaluating speakers. Hell I think a trance music is better for ambiance test.
post #5861 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. That track is included on a disk called "The Ultimate Demonstration Disk", so I guess you are right.
post #5862 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post
Wow, I was hoping PSB was working on Dolby Atmos Modules! I wonder if they'll show them at CES? I have Synchrony One towers in front & Synchrony Two towers in back, so I hope the modules will fit both.
This was interesting news. I am aware of the various Atmos add-on speakers offered by other manufacturers, but I would much rather have a PSB module designed to look good on top of PSB towers, and also timbre-matched, of course.
post #5863 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 AM

I wish Mr Barton would bring back a larger speaker line in the spirit of the Stratus Gold. The T3 or even the ImagineX would be great with some 10" drivers in the cabinets!!! Why PSB and so many others have gone to the wife pleasing slim cabinetry is beyond me. The Stratus Gold is the most revered PSB speaker of all time for good reason. There is no reason not to bring it back.

I will try to make my Golds last forever if I can. The selection of large speakers that don't cost 6 figures is very limited.
Torqdog likes this.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

post #5864 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I suspect sound quality trumps size. While the Stratus Gold's are indeed a fine speaker, it would be interesting to have an in-room comparison between these speakers and the later PSB top-of-the-line towers like the Synchrony One. Assuming Paul Barton is always looking to advance performance and sound quality, I would find it hard to believe that the One's would not hold their own against the Golds.
post #5865 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi there PSB speakers aficionados

I recent built out a 5.1 HT speaker system, but due to some unplanned for "life events" I will unfortunately need to sell some of these off.

I am currently holding onto my Synchrony two towers, but I have available one PSB Synchrony Two center in "like new condition" and a pair of Synchrony S surrounds in "good condition."

If interested please drop me a PM. I will also be putting a listing up on Audiogon with pictures. I prefer selling these as a set but I am willing to separate them out too.

Yup, I got stuff...
Panasonic 60ZT60
Pioneer Elite SC-87, Oppo BDP-103D, PSB Synchrony two mains, center, and Synchrony S surrounds
Subwoofer-still looking!
PS4

Last edited by DrJayDub; 12-07-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typo
post #5866 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I suspect sound quality trumps size. While the Stratus Gold's are indeed a fine speaker, it would be interesting to have an in-room comparison between these speakers and the later PSB top-of-the-line towers like the Synchrony One. Assuming Paul Barton is always looking to advance performance and sound quality, I would find it hard to believe that the One's would not hold their own against the Golds.
The ones are excellent speakers indeed. I have heard them on a variety of source components. Personally, I still prefer the Golds. I have been using them since around 1990. Out of everything I have listened to there is nothing tempting me to upgrade. There is only a small handful of speakers I have heard that rival the golds. Magico S5/Q5 , Focal Utopia, and Maybe the Dynaudio C4 for instance. Those options start at ~30k.

There were some advantages of the T3 listed over the S Ones due to the larger drivers. It would be nice to see more options on the table that include larger speakers. I believe that Mr Barton could build a large speaker that would be equal to or even exceed the performance of the ones listed above at a fraction of the cost.

And yes, this is a giant hint and I hope you are listening Paul.

post #5867 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, driver size would certainly be important if you are running the Gold's as large with no subs. But for a system like mine, in which I have four 15" sealed subs and the Synchrony One's are crossed over at 80Hz, larger bass drivers would not have a significant impact.

I think speakers are highly subjective, and the fact that you like your Gold's means you enjoy your audio system, which is all that is really important.
post #5868 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 05:48 PM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I bet the ones measure & sound a little better than the golds - but it must be nice pulling off the grille cover & seeing that 10" woofer!
post #5869 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The ones are excellent speakers indeed. I have heard them on a variety of source components. Personally, I still prefer the Golds. I have been using them since around 1990. Out of everything I have listened to there is nothing tempting me to upgrade. There is only a small handful of speakers I have heard that rival the golds. Magico S5/Q5 , Focal Utopia, and Maybe the Dynaudio C4 for instance. Those options start at ~30k.

There were some advantages of the T3 listed over the S Ones due to the larger drivers. It would be nice to see more options on the table that include larger speakers. I believe that Mr Barton could build a large speaker that would be equal to or even exceed the performance of the ones listed above at a fraction of the cost.

And yes, this is a giant hint and I hope you are listening Paul.
I don't know if he is or not, but one thing he said at the event I went to is that they weigh speaker size against the performance from the drivers (and the resulting materials they'd need), and the production cost for what's practical on the market when they decide what they're going to produce. My own feeling is that there's a limited market for the T3, since buying big towers isn't as attractive as it was back in, say, the 90's. Personally, unless I really was curious about the active absorption aspect of the T3, or I found that the T2 was swallowed up in our HT room, I don't think I'd buy the T3 for a multichannel HT room, especially if I already had standalone subs. Two-channel "full range" for a music only room would be a different story.

Also, in the two channel world, many of the folks that are willing to pay over $5K for towers, and are really hot for new tech, are the kind that want active crossovers. That's something I'd wish they'd have in one of the Imagine T line as an option....

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #5870 of 5878 Old 12-07-2014, 11:04 PM

I was going to complete my 5.1 setup with some B4 surrounds (thanks for the suggestion Brian), but over the weekend I found some great speaker stands from a used furniture store and the fiance actually likes them. Actually, the stands were 4 solid wood stools, but they look perfect for holding bookshelf speakers. And now that I have the stands for surrounds I'm not limited to wall mounting smaller rear speakers like I was before.

So now I was going to go with a pair of B5s for the surround but I couldn't find a B5 pair that was cheaper then a B6 pair. So it seemed like a no-brainer to go with the B6s for surrounds, so I did. I'm really excited about my new system, I just hope having B6s for the surrounds is not overkill.

Since my setup will be 4 B6s and 1 C5, do I even need a subwoofer anymore? I've got an LFM Ultra X-12 on the way and now I'm wondering if it's necessary.
post #5871 of 5878 Old 12-08-2014, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicKnights View Post
So now I was going to go with a pair of B5s for the surround but I couldn't find a B5 pair that was cheaper then a B6 pair. So it seemed like a no-brainer to go with the B6s for surrounds, so I did. I'm really excited about my new system, I just hope having B6s for the surrounds is not overkill.
This is AVS... there's no such thing as overkill here!

Quote:
Since my setup will be 4 B6s and 1 C5, do I even need a subwoofer anymore? I've got an LFM Ultra X-12 on the way and now I'm wondering if it's necessary.
Yes! A sub is pretty much mandatory for decent audio performance with bookshelf speakers. The B6's/C5 are no exception and will absolutely love life crossed over to a good subwoofer.

You have chosen well... don't worry, be happy!
post #5872 of 5878 Old 12-08-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
I don't know if he is or not, but one thing he said at the event I went to is that they weigh speaker size against the performance from the drivers (and the resulting materials they'd need), and the production cost for what's practical on the market when they decide what they're going to produce. My own feeling is that there's a limited market for the T3, since buying big towers isn't as attractive as it was back in, say, the 90's. Personally, unless I really was curious about the active absorption aspect of the T3, or I found that the T2 was swallowed up in our HT room, I don't think I'd buy the T3 for a multichannel HT room, especially if I already had standalone subs. Two-channel "full range" for a music only room would be a different story.

Also, in the two channel world, many of the folks that are willing to pay over $5K for towers, and are really hot for new tech, are the kind that want active crossovers. That's something I'd wish they'd have in one of the Imagine T line as an option....
At RMAF 2013 Mr Barton hinted at a flagship that would be similar in size to the gold. Im not sure if he was eluding to the T3 or if he has something else up his sleeve. Im hoping for more!!!

post #5873 of 5878 Unread 12-21-2014, 09:24 AM

Liked: 10
Hi, I'm a fresh member of the PSB club. Just upgraded from some crappy old Cerwin Vega speakers to the Image T5 LR and C5 center.

Question about surrounds. (5.1) I'm a touch limited on space for the rear placement. Will the PSB minis on stands mesh well sound wise with the T5/C5 I have up front? Or should I stick with the image series and try to work out the issues with space for larger rear surrounds? Thanks!
post #5874 of 5878 Unread 12-21-2014, 05:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehurlatron View Post
Hi, I'm a fresh member of the PSB club. Just upgraded from some crappy old Cerwin Vega speakers to the Image T5 LR and C5 center.

Question about surrounds. (5.1) I'm a touch limited on space for the rear placement. Will the PSB minis on stands mesh well sound wise with the T5/C5 I have up front? Or should I stick with the image series and try to work out the issues with space for larger rear surrounds? Thanks!
Are you talking about the Imagine Mini? I would go with the smallest PSB Image B4 which is very similar in dimensions to the Mini (perhaps less deep).
post #5875 of 5878 Unread 12-21-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Thumbs up Welcome to Club PSB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehurlatron View Post

All PSB's speaker lines are designed to be timbre ("voice") matched so any of lines will work well together.

As Treker suggested, the Image B4's are the ideal choice for a compact surround, providing you can still find a pair. Although the Imagine minis are excellent compact speakers, for surround duty with an Image front end you would be significantly overspending on them (MSRP $760/pr) in my opinion.

If you can't manage to find a pair of Image B4's, I would go for a pair of Alpha CLR1's ($100 each). They will be perfectly fine as surrounds for an Image setup, and at that price you could sink the $560 delta into something that will make more of an improvement.

Did you get yourself a sub yet? If not, that's where the most improvement can be made with the notional $560 savings. Take a serious look at the Hsu Research VTF-3 MK4 or the Rythmik Audio LV12R. Both excellent subs in their class.

Good luck!
post #5876 of 5878 Unread 12-22-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 790
BTW only have my Image C5 center for sale still..

150$ (steal of the century )

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #5877 of 5878 Unread 12-22-2014, 01:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
All PSB's speaker lines are designed to be timbre ("voice") matched so any of lines will work well together.

As Treker suggested, the Image B4's are the ideal choice for a compact surround, providing you can still find a pair. Although the Imagine minis are excellent compact speakers, for surround duty with an Image front end you would be significantly overspending on them (MSRP $760/pr) in my opinion.

If you can't manage to find a pair of Image B4's, I would go for a pair of Alpha CLR1's ($100 each). They will be perfectly fine as surrounds for an Image setup, and at that price you could sink the $560 delta into something that will make more of an improvement.

Did you get yourself a sub yet? If not, that's where the most improvement can be made with the notional $560 savings. Take a serious look at the Hsu Research VTF-3 MK4 or the Rythmik Audio LV12R. Both excellent subs in their class.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I think my dealer still has the B4,5,6 in stock. I went with the T5's and C5 with a HUGE closeout price. I did end up with a sub as well. Not the beast that I want, but better than nothing. (sunfire 12) Decent sub coming from nothing, but have to start somewhere......within budget of course.
post #5878 of 5878 Unread Today, 02:31 PM

Liked: 12
Anyone in the Greater Toronto Area might want to check out Bay Bloor Radio in downtown Toronto. They have the B4 Cherry pair for $149.

http://baybloorradio.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=1292
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page