PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 198 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #5911 of 5925 Old Today, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks 3db for sharing the graph and your input. Can't wait to get my X2T. Just need to get rid of these Def Tech
jjeerryy7 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5912 of 5925 Old Today, 12:35 PM
Member
 
redevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Looking at the graphs below supplied by the Soundstage Network for the X2T and their mid senstivity rating of 86.2dB, your Denon should be capable of driving these speakers to uncomfortably loud levels without strain as long as the room isn't overly big and you are not sitting too far from these speakers.



I know there is a lot to look at more with regards to receivers and speakers. But what are you looking at with the receiver to be able to handle the speakers? What specs are important to match or consider when looking at the receivers?

Thanks for the help.

Video: Sony KDL65-W850A LED TV, PS3 Blu-ray player 
Audio: PSB Imagine X series speakers
Receiver: Sony STR-DN1050
redevil is online now  
post #5913 of 5925 Old Today, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redevil View Post
I know there is a lot to look at more with regards to receivers and speakers. But what are you looking at with the receiver to be able to handle the speakers? What specs are important to match or consider when looking at the receivers?

Thanks for the help.
I guess I just want to be able to maximize the speakers potential, be able to push the speakers loud and not worry about the receiver shutting off. How do your PSB perform with your Sony STR-DN1050 receiver? I've actually looked into that one recently
jjeerryy7 is online now  
post #5914 of 5925 Old Today, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeerryy7 View Post
So I've now had my Def Tech BP 8020ST for close to two months and at first I loved them but lately I feel like there's been something missing. I started looking into more towers in my price range and I consistently found raving reviews for PSB speakers and luckily enough I found a few dealers here in Austin, TX. First impressions, I was blown away by the clarity of the new PSB X2T towers. I've always heard reviewers talk about certain speakers being warm and laid back and I never quite understood the sound and it honestly didn't sound appealing to me. But WOW! I fell in love with that sound. These speakers are true to nature sound, such natural sound I literally felt like every song I demoed was being performed live. My Def Tech ran run for $1200, but i did get them for $1000 from a local authorized dealer. Either way I'm pretty confident I'm selling these and getting the PSB X2T. Anyways I did come across a couple of reviews and other opinions stating that you'd want a very good quality receiver or amp to hook these bad boys too. I currently have a Denon AVR 1712, a entry level receiver. I know when I do get them, not to expect the same performance that I heard at the audio store since they are using high end equipment. I'd like to get yalls opinion on how well should I expect these speakers to perform with the my receiver?? I've had my receiver now for almost 4 years so its been in the back of my mind that I should upgrade, but at the same time I don't want to spend over 1k for a receiver . What would y'all recommend? Should I start saving up? What do y'all have powering yalls PSB speakers?
The great sound you heard at the dealer was probably influenced by their room acoustics far more than the "high end equipment" they're using. Room acoustics, speaker placement within the room, furniture placement, and listening location are far more important that the price of the electronics.

As for the 1712, it's an under-appreciated gem. It has the higher end version of Audyssey (MultEQ XT), plus a fairly decent size transformer and filter caps. That's all good for driving low-impedance speakers like these. I have one and have used it to power my PSB Sync Ones with no problems - and they're a demanding load. I also have a "high end" integrated amp as well, and the Denon 1712 keeps up nicely with it. A new receiver for you might actually be a downgrade. To get something better you'd need to get the Denon AVR-X4000 or AVR-X4100W, at $800 to $1300, or an Anthem MRX310 (somewhere around $1k?).

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
beaveav is offline  
post #5915 of 5925 Old Today, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
tritiumglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
I am regrettably listing my PSB Synchrony One towers in cherry for sale. Local sale only in San Diego.

PSB Synchrony One towers in cherry - San Diego local only
The real regrets will begin once they are sold.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
tritiumglo is online now  
post #5916 of 5925 Old Today, 01:58 PM
Member
 
redevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeerryy7 View Post
I guess I just want to be able to maximize the speakers potential, be able to push the speakers loud and not worry about the receiver shutting off. How do your PSB perform with your Sony STR-DN1050 receiver? I've actually looked into that one recently
So far they are great. I am still waiting on my XC center speaker and do not have a sub-woofer yet for my setup. I was reading one of the reviews from CNet, that actually has the smaller X1T being reviewed and the were using the STR-DN1050 with them.

Link:
PSB's sweet-sounding tower speaker

Video: Sony KDL65-W850A LED TV, PS3 Blu-ray player 
Audio: PSB Imagine X series speakers
Receiver: Sony STR-DN1050
redevil is online now  
post #5917 of 5925 Old Today, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
tritiumglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeerryy7 View Post
I know when I do get them, not to expect the same performance that I heard at the audio store since they are using high end equipment.
What was this "high end" equipment? Is the setup to be HT or 2ch?

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
tritiumglo is online now  
post #5918 of 5925 Old Today, 02:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redevil View Post
So far they are great. I am still waiting on my XC center speaker and do not have a sub-woofer yet for my setup. I was reading one of the reviews from CNet, that actually has the smaller X1T being reviewed and the were using the STR-DN1050 with them.

Link:
PSB's sweet-sounding tower speaker
Yeah I read that one review . What kind of sub are you planning on? I was thinking of going with a SVS 2000 series sub, not sure whether to go with SB or PB but luckily there is a audio store in San Antonio about an hour away who carries SVS subs and has them ready for demo. I'll make up my mind than.


Tritiumglo
Like beaveav mentioned, I think he is right about the acoustics of the room being more of a factor. My current denon receiver is really the only reciver I've owned besides a Onkyo HTIB when I was like 15 lol. I just saw names like NAD or Marantz and I consider those to be more high end since they fall out of my price range lol. Oh I'm looking more for a HT receiver that way I can build up to 5.1
jjeerryy7 is online now  
post #5919 of 5925 Old Today, 02:37 PM
Member
 
skads_187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
with the fronts being imagine t2 and imagine c center,
for surround duty, in a 7.1 configuration, what would be the difference between the imagine b and the imagine (besides aesthetics of course)
I might be able to get a good deal on a used imagine b, but wanted to know what the differences are.
thanks
skads_187 is online now  
post #5920 of 5925 Old Today, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
tritiumglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeerryy7 View Post
Yeah I read that one review . What kind of sub are you planning on? I was thinking of going with a SVS 2000 series sub, not sure whether to go with SB or PB but luckily there is a audio store in San Antonio about an hour away who carries SVS subs and has them ready for demo. I'll make up my mind than.


Tritiumglo
Like beaveav mentioned, I think he is right about the acoustics of the room being more of a factor. My current denon receiver is really the only reciver I've owned besides a Onkyo HTIB when I was like 15 lol. I just saw names like NAD or Marantz and I consider those to be more high end since they fall out of my price range lol. Oh I'm looking more for a HT receiver that way I can build up to 5.1
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=NAT748V2
$600 and has pre outs on every channel so add all the power you want.
NAD + PSB = happiness.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
tritiumglo is online now  
post #5921 of 5925 Unread Today, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=NAT748V2
$600 and has pre outs on every channel so add all the power you want.
NAD + PSB = happiness.
I had an NAD as well as my Denon for a couple of years. I found the Denon to power the PSBs just as well, plus it has a higher version of Audyssey and is cheaper! So that's a tie, a win and a win for the Denon!

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
beaveav is offline  
post #5922 of 5925 Unread Today, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
The great sound you heard at the dealer was probably influenced by their room acoustics far more than the "high end equipment" they're using. Room acoustics, speaker placement within the room, furniture placement, and listening location are far more important that the price of the electronics.

As for the 1712, it's an under-appreciated gem. It has the higher end version of Audyssey (MultEQ XT), plus a fairly decent size transformer and filter caps. That's all good for driving low-impedance speakers like these. I have one and have used it to power my PSB Sync Ones with no problems - and they're a demanding load. I also have a "high end" integrated amp as well, and the Denon 1712 keeps up nicely with it. A new receiver for you might actually be a downgrade. To get something better you'd need to get the Denon AVR-X4000 or AVR-X4100W, at $800 to $1300, or an Anthem MRX310 (somewhere around $1k?).

MultiEQ XT isn't the higher end of Audyssey. That would be AVRs or pre/pros with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. The difference is that XT32 has considerably high resolution than XT (512x than 128x) for the subs, and even more so (512x vs. 16x) for mains/satellites. They've also put less emphasis on correcting (even sometimes "overcorrecting" according to some Audyssey users REW plots) high frequencies and more on correcting below Schroeder. The practical result is improved calibration of your bass. For details, you're best off consulting the dedicated Audyssey thread.


Depending on your needs (i.e. if you want Atmos or not), along with current X4100 series, you can sometimes find a Denon 4520 or 4311 for under $1K on the AVS Classifieds, all of which have Audyssey XT32.

That's one reason why some guys on the NAD list complain about the NAD pre/pros not keeping up with the times, as even the M17 only has XT.


http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors

Audio Gear: Sherwood R-972 (Trinnov Altitude - coming soon!), NAD M27 amp
Display: Panasonic VT50, Lumagen Radiance Mini
Misc.: Oppo 103, Apple TV, JRiver ID NUC
PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds; HSU ULS-15 subs (2)
sdrucker is online now  
post #5923 of 5925 Unread Today, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Well, it *is* the higher end when compared to 2EQ or MultEQ (no XT). I didn't say it was the highest end version of Audyssey, just a higher end.

You do have a legit point that my post wasn't entirely clear and could be misinterpreted, so thanks for helping the OP with the additional info. But I already know what you said.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
beaveav is offline  
post #5924 of 5925 Unread Today, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
Well, it *is* the higher end when compared to 2EQ or MultEQ (no XT). I didn't say it was the highest end version of Audyssey, just a higher end.

You do have a legit point that my post wasn't entirely clear and could be misinterpreted, so thanks for helping the OP with the additional info. But I already know what you said.

And even as the "higher end"', still arguably superior to most of the mainstream competition for affordable home audio pre/pros or AVRs due to the sub correction (I'm speaking of MCACC and YPAO, let alone no EQ altogether). To get something equal or better for automated REQ, you've got to go to XT32 or join the early adaptors with Dirac and separates.

Audio Gear: Sherwood R-972 (Trinnov Altitude - coming soon!), NAD M27 amp
Display: Panasonic VT50, Lumagen Radiance Mini
Misc.: Oppo 103, Apple TV, JRiver ID NUC
PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds; HSU ULS-15 subs (2)
sdrucker is online now  
post #5925 of 5925 Unread Today, 10:38 PM
Senior Member
 
tritiumglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
I had an NAD as well as my Denon for a couple of years. I found the Denon to power the PSBs just as well, plus it has a higher version of Audyssey and is cheaper! So that's a tie, a win and a win for the Denon!

Well, we all have our differing opinions. I also have a Denon receiver. I switched to the NAD processor. The difference was significant. The Denon is sitting on the shelf while the NAD runs the show. My HT setup is run by the NAD Masters series M15. I consider NAD the winner.


NAD generally rates their amps / receivers more conservatively than many other brands. They usually rate under the consideration that all channels are being driven simultaneously. This is not so for many others. I have seen 100 watt onkyos drop from a 100 watt rating down to ~20 when things get going. Very deceiving.


I am not of the same sound persuasion. I feel that my NAD processors are easily superior to my Denon. The Denon was very good but not NAD good. As far as the Marantz...... D&M was at the last audio show I attend showing off some of their new goodies. I asked them why one would select Denon or Marantz over one another. The response was that the Marantz is a more sound quality focused product. One who is concerned about SQ should lean towards Marantz.


I will agree that NAD is behind on the room correction gadgets. I do not need them so its not an issue for me. If I wanted the Gadgets and SQ I would lean towards the Marantz.


If one were to be hypnotized by those who believe that all amps sound the same, then who cares?. Find the cheapest piece of plastic junk with a knob, huge power rating, and heat sinks. Plug it in, turn the dial, and let it clip. Just make sure it has the latest in room correction gadgets. The cost is usually around $399.99.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
tritiumglo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off