PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 204 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 44Likes
post #6091 of 6117 Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Yep, PSB is the one. But do you mean Image C4 or Imagine C? If you can afford it and it fits in your space, the Imagine C is the pick.
If you must go with a smaller centre, the Imagine mini c would be the better choice.

Sorry, I meant the Image C4.

The only reason I am buying this now is that the distributor is closing down and is offering both at a very low price - equivalent of $160.

Seeing that I can't really afford a decent centre speaker right now, this will do until I have saved enough for a decent one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 6117 Old 06-23-2015, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
Hey does anyone have any luck or Info on the PSB CW260 In Wall Surround Speaker ? I want to use them for my sides and Front wide speakers any Ideas?
Sorry, I don't look at this thread as often as I should. I bought the step-down CW26 speakers from Crutchfield when they were half off for my den, and am pleased with the sound. I use CW180Rs as rear speakers in 5.1, and in two bedrooms, with a CW88R in a bathroom. My only wish is that they had an enclosure.

I do love my PSB speakers and am sure these would serve you well. You might want to consider direct radiating speakers if you ever want to go with an Atmos setup...
post #6093 of 6117 Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Actually that's what I'm doing Thanks.
post #6094 of 6117 Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I am new to speaker world, can you rank the following speakers ?

I listen to soft pop,jazz,female/male vocal. Probably 50% 50% Home Theater and just listening music.

- PSB Imagine T2
- SVS Ultra Tower
- Polk Audio LSi M705
- Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower

I am leaning towards PSB T2 but the subwoofer is only 5 inches, should that be a concern ?

Thanks !

Sennheiser HD800 / Hifiman HE6 / Fostex TH900 / Beyerdynamic T1 and T5p / Audeze LCD 2 / Denon AH-D7000 and many more.
post #6095 of 6117 Old 06-26-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian411 View Post
Hello, I am new to speaker world, can you rank the following speakers ?

I listen to soft pop,jazz,female/male vocal. Probably 50% 50% Home Theater and just listening music.

- PSB Imagine T2
- SVS Ultra Tower
- Polk Audio LSi M705
- Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower

I am leaning towards PSB T2 but the subwoofer is only 5 inches, should that be a concern ?

Thanks !
Not if you include a subwoofer in the configuration, which you should consider doing regardless of which speakers you choose. The Imagine T2 are highly rated, and I don't see how you could go wrong by choosing them.

I have never been in favor of tower speakers with integrated subwoofers like the Mythos.
post #6096 of 6117 Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Not if you include a subwoofer in the configuration, which you should consider doing regardless of which speakers you choose. The Imagine T2 are highly rated, and I don't see how you could go wrong by choosing them.

I have never been in favor of tower speakers with integrated subwoofers like the Mythos.

Jerry,
As you will likely remember, I spent five years with the Mythos ST as my mains, and as time went by and I got more sophisticated with measuring (in good part thanks to your REW guide :), I found that the Mythos built-in sub approach was more trouble than it was worth. The biggest problems were properly dealing with calibrating the powered vs. the non-powered parts of the speaker to equal volume, and the whack a mole element of trying to solve lower bass problems with REW and finding that changes I made created ripple effects due to the bass radiators of the speaker relying on harmonics from lower frequencies to boost bass above the woofer's crossover.

Bottom line is that the towers with powered subs are IMO only useful one way: a two-channel stereo system without subs for music-focused rooms. In that context, simply run them full-range, after level matching the two sections of the speaker, and you're as set as you're likely to be.

Having had both the PSB Imagine T2s and the Mythos, I'd take the PSB hands-down as a better value, far easier to set up, and also because Paul Barton's multi-woofer configuration for helping with "floor bounce", to the extent placement can do so.

One side note: the Imagine line comes with ports that can be plugged to help with boomy bass. YMMV but at least in my room, plugging the bottom part (there's three) was useful to help smooth the crossover area (60 Hz at the time) before any room EQ.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 16/24, NAD M27 amp, Crown XLS 1502 stereo amps (2)
Display: Panasonic VT50, Lumagen Radiance Mini
Misc.: Oppo 103, Apple TV, JRiver ID NUC
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2, Center, and X2T Surrounds; Atlantic Tech 44-DA heights (4), HSU ULS-15 subs (2)
More gear to follow as I get going with the Altitude...
post #6097 of 6117 Old 06-27-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Jerry,
As you will likely remember, I spent five years with the Mythos ST as my mains, and as time went by and I got more sophisticated with measuring (in good part thanks to your REW guide :), I found that the Mythos built-in sub approach was more trouble than it was worth. The biggest problems were properly dealing with calibrating the powered vs. the non-powered parts of the speaker to equal volume, and the whack a mole element of trying to solve lower bass problems with REW and finding that changes I made created ripple effects due to the bass radiators of the speaker relying on harmonics from lower frequencies to boost bass above the woofer's crossover.

Bottom line is that the towers with powered subs are IMO only useful one way: a two-channel stereo system without subs for music-focused rooms. In that context, simply run them full-range, after level matching the two sections of the speaker, and you're as set as you're likely to be.

Having had both the PSB Imagine T2s and the Mythos, I'd take the PSB hands-down as a better value, far easier to set up, and also because Paul Barton's multi-woofer configuration for helping with "floor bounce", to the extent placement can do so.

One side note: the Imagine line comes with ports that can be plugged to help with boomy bass. YMMV but at least in my room, plugging the bottom part (there's three) was useful to help smooth the crossover area (60 Hz at the time) before any room EQ.
So can I assume that PSB T2 is equally good as Mythos ST ?
I am going to get two SVS PB13 Ultra subwoofers.

I just want to get a tower speaker that has an organic sounding mids. Let me know if PSB is the right choice for me.

Thanks everyone.

Sennheiser HD800 / Hifiman HE6 / Fostex TH900 / Beyerdynamic T1 and T5p / Audeze LCD 2 / Denon AH-D7000 and many more.
post #6098 of 6117 Old 06-27-2015, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
So can I assume that PSB T2 is equally good as Mythos ST ?
I am going to get two SVS PB13 Ultra subwoofers.

I just want to get a tower speaker that has an organic sounding mids. Let me know if PSB is the right choice for me.

Thanks everyone.
If you can stretch your budget a little, you can pick up T3's and get subs with equal or better performance at half the price.
post #6099 of 6117 Old 06-28-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTemp View Post
If you can stretch your budget a little, you can pick up T3's and get subs with equal or better performance at half the price.
Ah.. I thought T2 was the top of the flagship from PSB until I saw this T3. Thanks for the info.

So basically T2 is with the subwoofer I guess, more I read in this forum my budget is keep increasing, (is it good or bad ? haha).

Thanks again.

post #6100 of 6117 Old 06-28-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Ah.. I thought T2 was the top of the flagship from PSB until I saw this T3. Thanks for the info.

So basically T2 is with the subwoofer I guess, more I read in this forum my budget is keep increasing, (is it good or bad ? haha).

Thanks again.
OK, let's make sure you think about what Max has recommended. The main difference between the T2 and the T3 is the size of the low frequency drivers. Since you are planning on having subs in your configuration anyway, the larger subs in the T3's are not going to make that much of a difference. Otherwise, the mid and high frequency drivers are close to being the same. Both speakers are very well rated.

Now, the question is, can you select lower-priced subs of equal performance? There will be differing opinions on this, but the subs you mentioned are top performers, and mated with the T2's are going to result in an awesome system. Just my opinion, of course, and no disrespect to Max.
post #6101 of 6117 Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 AM

I think these 2 subs for example will match the SVS sub.
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle...products/v1500
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/...ant=1156514633
Both have in home trials and you can get dual Echo 15's for $1800.
post #6102 of 6117 Old 06-28-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think these 2 subs for example will match the SVS sub.
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle...products/v1500
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/...ant=1156514633
Both have in home trials and you can get dual Echo 15's for $1800.
True enough, but I still question the value of upgrading to the T3's if the OP is going to be using subs. I myself have Synchrony One's with four 15in sealed subs, and question whether I am getting full use out of the One's.
post #6103 of 6117 Old 06-28-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
OK, let's make sure you think about what Max has recommended. The main difference between the T2 and the T3 is the size of the low frequency drivers. Since you are planning on having subs in your configuration anyway, the larger subs in the T3's are not going to make that much of a difference. Otherwise, the mid and high frequency drivers are close to being the same. Both speakers are very well rated.

Now, the question is, can you select lower-priced subs of equal performance? There will be differing opinions on this, but the subs you mentioned are top performers, and mated with the T2's are going to result in an awesome system. Just my opinion, of course, and no disrespect to Max.
Ah I see, so basically I can choose one of these combination?\

1. PSB T2 with Echo 15/SVS PB13/V1500 subs
2. PSB T3 (no extra subs needed)
3. Definitive Mythos ST-L (no extra subs needed)

I kind of narrow down the selection, I can get PSB half the MSRP so it's a plus for me, but Mythos ST-L have really good review.
I can't decide !

post #6104 of 6117 Old 06-28-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
True enough, but I still question the value of upgrading to the T3's if the OP is going to be using subs. I myself have Synchrony One's with four 15in sealed subs, and question whether I am getting full use out of the One's.
True, but I think you can get even cheaper speakers and be satisfied. If the price isnt much more or it can be afforded, I would still get the flagship. Its a mental thing
post #6105 of 6117 Old 06-28-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah I see, so basically I can choose one of these combination?\

1. PSB T2 with Echo 15/SVS PB13/V1500 subs
2. PSB T3 (no extra subs needed)
3. Definitive Mythos ST-L (no extra subs needed)

I kind of narrow down the selection, I can get PSB half the MSRP so it's a plus for me, but Mythos ST-L have really good review.
I can't decide !
Sorry, you have it completely wrong.

You will want subs with either the T2 or the T3 speakers. Regardless of the size of the low frequency drivers in the T3's, they will not reach the performance of two dedicated subwoofers.

You received feedback from me, and from Sdrucker (who owned Mythos speakers and replaced them with T2's), that the Mythos is not a good choice. Did you read those posts?

IMO, your option 1 is the best choice of the three you listed (even though the list is flawed).
post #6106 of 6117 Old 06-28-2015, 08:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You will want subs with either the T2 or the T3 speakers. Regardless of the size of the low frequency drivers in the T3's, they will not reach the performance of two dedicated subwoofers, but as we know, with advanced room measurement experience there's an argument for as many as four pending what you see in your room .

You received feedback from me, and from Sdrucker (who owned Mythos speakers and replaced them with T2's), that the Mythos is not a good choice. Did you read those posts?

IMO, your option 1 is the best choice of the three you listed (even though the list is flawed).

I'd agree that the T2 is certainly the best use of his money, in combination with dedicated subwoofers - ideally two to help with smoothing out low frequency room response for many of us, especially if you research sub placement and have independent measurement software ..

The only comment I'd add about a reason to purchase the T3 with additional subs is that, as per the PSB website ( http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...agine-T3-Tower ):
"Additionally, the bottom woofer can be disconnected from the amp and shorted using the provided woofer shorting bar, thus creating a 'bass trap' or damper to further suppress room resonances."

In other words, you can optionally use the bottom woofer, reaching the lowest frequencies, as a kind of active "bass trap" generated from the speaker to offset room gain. In that case, it's assumed that the user already has one or more subwoofers.

That would seem a unique feature of the T3s, one that Paul Barton told me at the Saturday Audio Exchange meet and greet in December was instituted to provide added value for people that had no need for a tower in a system with subs, or had a small room but otherwise was a likely buyer for the T3s. However, AFAIK there has been literally nobody on AVS that has used the T3s this way, and there's certainly cheaper ways to address room gain with acoustic treatments and/or room correction. Not to mention that without independent measurement, you'd have no idea whether this method of active bass trap is helpful or harmful.

I'd also look at the X2Ts as well as the T2 if I were him.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Speakers: PSB Imagine T2, Center, and X2T Surrounds; Atlantic Tech 44-DA heights (4), HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

Last edited by sdrucker; 06-28-2015 at 08:50 PM.
post #6107 of 6117 Old 06-28-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Uh oh. Canadian's head is going to explode now, Stuart. I agree that the clever use of the bottom driver is interesting, but only someone on the fringe is going to actually use it this way.
post #6108 of 6117 Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Uh oh. Canadian's head is going to explode now, Stuart. I agree that the clever use of the bottom driver is interesting, but only someone on the fringe is going to actually use it this way.
Don't look at me...the T2s and the subs are the smart way to go.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

post #6109 of 6117 Old 06-29-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:

You will want subs with either the T2 or the T3 speakers. Regardless of the size of the low frequency drivers in the T3's, they will not reach the performance of two dedicated subwoofers.

Hi Jerry, ya I read that post about STL earlier, but I was considering to coming back to STL because I felt like it doesn't need the subwoofers.

Looks like I still need to get two dedicated subs with T3 or T2.

Why picking the speakers is so hard ? haha.
I've been running around the city and can't find places to audition speakers in Toronto here.

thanks again Jerry.

post #6110 of 6117 Old 06-29-2015, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Don't look at me...the T2s and the subs are the smart way to go.
I want to make a smart choice and my head is spinning after reading the review of X2T. So many good speakers.

Thing is I can only get T2 50% of the MSRP price tag, which is probably the best choice for me.

So what are the dedicated subs do you recommend ?
I was initially looking at SVS PB13 but there are also Echo 15/V1500 subs as well.

I am not a basshead person, I still like the deep bass but more into mids as I listen to vocal/jazz and bit of classic.

Will be 50% 50% Home Theater and Music use.

post #6111 of 6117 Old 06-29-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I want to make a smart choice and my head is spinning after reading the review of X2T. So many good speakers.

Thing is I can only get T2 50% of the MSRP price tag, which is probably the best choice for me.

So what are the dedicated subs do you recommend ?
I was initially looking at SVS PB13 but there are also Echo 15/V1500 subs as well.

I am not a basshead person, I still like the deep bass but more into mids as I listen to vocal/jazz and bit of classic.

Will be 50% 50% Home Theater and Music use.
I prefer sealed subs for music listening (and they are equally good for home theater effects), which makes the SVS a good choice. I am not familiar with the Echo brand, so can't comment on those. Both Stuart and I have Hsu ULS-15 subs, another good choice.

And for overall smoothness of response, at least two subs are better than a single sub.
post #6112 of 6117 Old Today, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Concert" system

Only took me about 10 years, but I finally assembled the "Concert" home theater system recommended by PSB. Started my PSB relationship with Alpha B1s and upgraded elements over time, mostly used, but also snagged the B4s on half-price clearance when the X replacement came out. Late adopter, bargain hunter, what can I say.

Sounds great of course. Although the truth is, I rarely do any "serious" listening in the theater room anymore. I've allocated my spend to a headphone rig for that. The kids have more or less overtaken the TV. Have to say, the thunderstorm scene in "Up" sounds pretty awesome from another room! Love it for big TV days like the Super Bowl and whatnot, too.

There are certainly other worthy brands, but ever since Stereophile raved about the B1 way back when and PSB consistently graced its "Recommended Components" with some of the lowest-priced entries in their respective classes, PSB became my reference standard for speaker shopping, and I was never compelled to go elsewhere.

We'll see how long the contentedness lasts, but it seems I've found that elusive "sweet spot" in sound quality and price with this rig and application. Put all this together at about half list price. Couldn't be happier about that, although I had to smoke it out piecemeal on eBay and whatnot. I definitely recommend starting with a known entry-level product and trading up from there. You learn to appreciate each level and keep your incremental investments in reach, and you preserve some "trade-in" value with the "known" equipment.

Still pretty happy with my Denon 1712 at the center. If anything, I'll upgrade the TV; still at 50" 720p. I've always been more about the audio but at some point the video gets long in the tooth. I fine the whole rig ideal for broadcast stuff, maybe just a little under-screened for good Blu-rays.

Cheers to the True North, albeit a day late. Happy listening!
post #6113 of 6117 Old Today, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I prefer sealed subs for music listening (and they are equally good for home theater effects), which makes the SVS a good choice. I am not familiar with the Echo brand, so can't comment on those. Both Stuart and I have Hsu ULS-15 subs, another good choice.

And for overall smoothness of response, at least two subs are better than a single sub.

YMMV, but if you're watching budget, I wonder if the X2T would be a better buy than the T2 for someone in a moderately sized room and with subs, at least at MSRP. You'd ideally want to demo both to compare, but unless you're going to make use of the 3 pluggable ports on the T2, and feel that you're getting better upper bass and midrange control with the five-way vs. the three-way design, the differences between the two speakers might be relatively small for many users.

FYI when I was doing my first Trinnov cal with the Altitude last week, we found that the pluggable port can make a difference in the crossover. With my Imagine C, having the port plugged, as I'd done based on REW measurements in the past, got me to a 100 to 120 Hz crossover with Audyssey or the more limited version of Trinnov in my Sherwood R-972. However, with the port unplugged and MLP closer to the mains than previously, we measured more like 80 Hz on the Altitude as an ideal crossover (my T2s are crossed at 60 Hz to minimize a niggling 55 Hz dip from my subs due to a room placement compromise). The effect was subtle, but enough that the 'localization' felt a little more realistic for live multichannel music. The plugs made only a marginal difference with the T2s, however.

post #6114 of 6117 Unread Today, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I used to have the Synchrony One's and I loved them. I, unfortunately, got rid of them due to several Army moves... Anyway, I have been thinking abut re-purchasing a pair, but wonder if the new Imagine T-3 is a better speaker... Thoughts?
post #6115 of 6117 Unread Today, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
I used to have the Synchrony One's and I loved them. I, unfortunately, got rid of them due to several Army moves... Anyway, I have been thinking abut re-purchasing a pair, but wonder if the new Imagine T-3 is a better speaker... Thoughts?
I have the Synchrony Ones as well and, like you, I really like them. I suspect any new top-of-the-line speaker from Paul Barton is going to be pretty good. I don't think you could go wrong with either the One's, if you can get a good deal, or the T-3's.
post #6116 of 6117 Unread Today, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Hi @Aerocraft67 . Just wanted to thank you for your thoughtful post about your PSB "journey". <thumbs up>

In particular, I wanted to highlight what I think is an excellent piece of advice for those starting out (and the more experienced who are giving advise to beginners):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post
We'll see how long the contentedness lasts, but it seems I've found that elusive "sweet spot" in sound quality and price with this rig and application. Put all this together at about half list price. Couldn't be happier about that, although I had to smoke it out piecemeal on eBay and whatnot. I definitely recommend starting with a known entry-level product and trading up from there. You learn to appreciate each level and keep your incremental investments in reach, and you preserve some "trade-in" value with the "known" equipment.
Thanks for taking the time to drop in Aero.
post #6117 of 6117 Unread Today, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I have the Synchrony Ones as well and, like you, I really like them. I suspect any new top-of-the-line speaker from Paul Barton is going to be pretty good. I don't think you could go wrong with either the One's, if you can get a good deal, or the T-3's.
Don't know if legit, but may be worth the try:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/ful...317-atlanta-ga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Audyssey , image s5 c5 , Nad , Psb , psb image b6 , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page