PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 206 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 64Likes
post #6151 of 6168 Old 08-12-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3207 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittr View Post
Plz help
Anyone with floorstanders in small room?
Keep in mind that PSB bookshelf speakers use the same mid and high frequency drivers as their floor-standing counterparts. In a small room, a good bookshelf speaker paired with one or more capable subs will perform as well as a floor-standing speaker. Bookshelf speakers will sound better if placed on stands away from walls, and not on a "bookshelf".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6168 Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittr View Post
Plz help
Anyone with floorstanders in small room?

Regarding the room, I have Alpha T1 speakers in a similarly sized room and they work just fine. The only draw back I found is that they are the height they are, bookshelf speakers are a bit more versatile in that you can make use of your vertical space with taller stands or hanging them and tilting them towards the MLP. This becomes a bit more crucial in smaller spaces where floor space is at a premium and there is a higher likelihood of something being in the way of the sound.

Regarding towers vs bookshelf. Previously I had B1 speakers in front L/R, when I went looking to upgrade my rears I found the T1 for the same price as the B1. I was perfectly happy with my front sound stage but it was too good of a deal to pass up. If this is an HT setup and you have a sub then I agree with AustinJerry there is no point having towers over bookshelf. If it is an HT and you don't have a sub, hands down I would buy bookshelf speakers and a sub. If your primary use is music than I would personally go for the towers.
post #6153 of 6168 Old 08-12-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Don't waste any time getting the sub(s)! Just ask @andremal about how much they improve a system, even with tower speakers.
I did already have surround speakers when I added my sub but I can say that I was/am blown away by how much my sound opened up after adding dual subs. You can check out the journey I took in this thread. It was definitely ear opening!
GIEGAR and PiggyChops like this.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A | Denon AVR-2113ci | PSB Image T6 | PSB Image C5 | PSB Image B6 | Dual PSA S1500s | PS4 w/1TB Hybrid HD | 1TB Xbone | Comcast X1 DVR
post #6154 of 6168 Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andremal View Post
I did already have surround speakers when I added my sub but I can say that I was/am blown away by how much my sound opened up after adding dual subs. You can check out the journey I took in this thread. It was definitely ear opening!
Are PSB subs any good ? I'm not in the US so SVS and other subs popular in the US are not available here. But can get PSB subs at a good price. Have you heard the the sub series 200 or 300 ?
post #6155 of 6168 Old 08-13-2015, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggyChops View Post
Are PSB subs any good ? I'm not in the US so SVS and other subs popular in the US are not available here. But can get PSB subs at a good price. Have you heard the the sub series 200 or 300 ?
I'm afraid I've never auditioned one. You could head over to the Subwoofer thread and see if you can find some feedback threads.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A | Denon AVR-2113ci | PSB Image T6 | PSB Image C5 | PSB Image B6 | Dual PSA S1500s | PS4 w/1TB Hybrid HD | 1TB Xbone | Comcast X1 DVR
post #6156 of 6168 Old 08-13-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I've not heard those particular subs but I have heard other PSB subs and they reminded me a lot of my Boston Acoustics PV900 sub (now long out of production). They perform well within their design limits, but they do not stand up to most of the internet direct options in terms of raw power output (as I've learned when I added an SVS sub to my system). However, I spent a decade quite happy with the PV900 alone (you can't miss what you've never had ). I would opt for the most powerful PSB sub you can afford and set up the system accordingly. It will definitely be better than going without. Good luck.
post #6157 of 6168 Old 08-14-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
No worries Mark.

If you're inclined, please check back in with your impressions when you get them up and running.
The PSB Imagine B's finally arrived yesterday. I haven't had a lot of time to listen to them yet, but they are a definite improvement over my old speakers. I'll post again after I've had a chance to listen to them more.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #6158 of 6168 Old 08-17-2015, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2

I ended up going for the Synchrony One's and am chuffed. Simply outstanding speakers. Have them being driven by my M2, great combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
andremal and 3db like this.
post #6159 of 6168 Old 08-17-2015, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Center Help

Looking for a quick opinion about a center. I am looking to for a center for my two PSB GB-1 (made 2008-2012ish) Bookshelf speakers. I have two options below that seem like decent deals to me.

PSB Image C4 - New - 4" drivers - Down to 60hz - $129 NEW
PSB Stratus C5 - New in 2001 - 5" drives - Down to about 60hz - $130ish EBay

My bookshelf speakers go down to 55hz. I am really thinking of going with the PSB Image C4 because I dont want to buy a 15 year old speaker. Does any one have thoughts on the Image C4, is it too small with the 4" drivers? Should I just wait until I find a used C5, C40, XC, etc? I am not looking for super loud, just solid good sound with an occasion semi loud show off. Thanks.
post #6160 of 6168 Old 08-17-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarxman82 View Post

I ended up going for the Synchrony One's and am chuffed. Simply outstanding speakers. Have them being driven by my M2, great combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As a fellow Synchrony One owner, my strong advice would be to get that center speaker up off the ground. Floor bounce is likely degrading the quality of center channel dialog, which is critical in a home theater system. You will immediately hear the difference and won't regret it. If you use automatic room correction, remember to re-run your measurements after moving the speaker. The Synchrony One center channel speaker is fabulous, and you owe it to yourself to get the most out of it.

This is the stand I use, and I recommend it highly: http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/...-stands/sfc22/
andremal and GIEGAR like this.
post #6161 of 6168 Old 08-17-2015, 07:36 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
As a fellow Synchrony One owner, my strong advice would be to get that center speaker up off the ground. Floor bounce is likely degrading the quality of center channel dialog, which is critical in a home theater system. You will immediately hear the difference and won't regret it. If you use automatic room correction, remember to re-run your measurements after moving the speaker. The Synchrony One center channel speaker is fabulous, and you owe it to yourself to get the most out of it.

This is the stand I use, and I recommend it highly: http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/...-stands/sfc22/
+ 1. I have the same stand for my Synchrony one c - it works great. Anybody have any info on PSB's Dolby Atmos modules? Someone posted a few months ago they were working on them.
post #6162 of 6168 Old 08-17-2015, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Still plan to get a good stand, supplier was out of stock of the one I was after, so on the floor in the interim.

I agree though, definitely a fantastic centre channel!
post #6163 of 6168 Old 08-17-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarxman82 View Post
Still plan to get a good stand, supplier was out of stock of the one I was after, so on the floor in the interim.

Set it on its box then.
post #6164 of 6168 Old 08-19-2015, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarxman82

Set it on its box then.
Or you could use 2 C-claps to attach a piece of plywood to extend the middle shelf, move the components from the middle shelf to the bottom shelf, and move the centre channel from the floor to the extended middle shelf.
tarxman82 likes this.

"Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
post #6165 of 6168 Old 08-20-2015, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just picked up a PSB system including Imagine S surrounds. I want to use the surrounds in dipole, but the jumper cables included in the package seem to be too small to fit the binding posts.

Forum member TheZaha appears to have had a fitment problem with the Imagine S as well (post 5292 in this thread - can't link as I'm a new member ) and references forum member Sound Master BIC as also having the same issue (although I couldn't find that post). I wonder if they also had jumpers with spades too small to fit the binding posts?

I e-mailed my dealer, but in the meantime - has anyone else had the problem and what was the eventual resolution? Will PSB or my dealer supply jumper cables that fit? Is there any other easy solution or stopgap that doesn't involve spending ~$30 to buy new jumpers?

Thanks much in advance. I suppose using bipole for the time being isn't such a big deal.
post #6166 of 6168 Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Where are you located?
post #6167 of 6168 Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I haven't used the SVS or other available subs, but I do have the sub series 300. I am satisfied with the 300 for both HT and music duties, it always blends well with the rest of my Imagine system. It has no problems rattling the garage door on the front of my house from the living room when I ask it to. Maybe I don't listen loud enough, but I have never felt like it was lacking output. I am sure there are other, better, subs out there, but when I got my Imagine system it made sense to buy everything PSB because of how I ordered the system.
post #6168 of 6168 Unread Today, 06:41 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Its not that PSB subs are bad. But for PSB's asking price, subs from Rythmik, SVS, NXG, PSA, etc offer far better performance being able to play louder, and lower with the same distortion levels of PSB subs. My entry level Rythmik LV12-R absolutely walks over my PSB Subsonic 5 (in terms of playing lower, louder, and articulation) which now serves in my secondary system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Audyssey , image s5 c5 , Nad , Psb , psb image b6 , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page