PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 201Likes
post #6721 of 6730 Unread 01-16-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Nice of you to find that.

Consider the situation we were in. We open the box and got the single sheet with simple instructions on how to hook up a basic speaker. Because I'm at least a little "aware" of these Imagine S being capable of alternative configuration, we go to PSB's website, find the Imagine S page fairly quick, and find on that page a choice of two documents to download. One is "Imagine S Surround English Specifications" and the other is "Imagine S Surround English Manual."

I go ahead and download both documents. Naturally I assumed the "manual" would contain information specific to using the included spade terminated jumper cables. Nope. There is not a word in either document about the subject.

I poked around there a LOT and didn't find that until after you'd posted the link that takes you to the document and went back. There at the bottom of the list of various language manuals is the last one labeled "Imagine Series 4 language insert." That's the one, but for the uninitiated it might never be clicked or if it was perhaps few would go as far as page 12 to see it's the only one containing the needed information, twelve pages into it.

This is really lame of PSB to have such crappy documentation, difficult to find. And the jumpers included not even fitting the binding posts is over the top. They make good speakers but it seems to be a cult in Lenbrook companies to be super thin on documentation and then boast about great support. Perhaps there's good support if you have time to call during their business hours, but not many people can. They need a rework of product support!

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 6730 Unread 01-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
PSB Speakers Owners thread

Folks, I'm looking for opinions from anyone whose had (or has auditioned) both PSB's Image S5 and Imagine S surrounds (links for both below).

I'm on mobile so I can't really type the long story but in a nutshell I'm considering adding the higher end of the two to my existing setup and am trying to decide. Not listed in my signature's setup are the old HTIB Kiipsch that make allow my good 5.1 to be a functional 7.1. [Edit: I should say 9.1 since bipolar/dipole, something I've never done, is an option with these.] Thoughts?

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...ge-S5-Surround

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...ine-S-Surround

Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 Receiver | Oppo 203 4k Blu-Ray | Samsung 65JS850D UHDTV
PSB Imagine T2, C Centre & Imagine S Surround | SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) iTunes Server | Logitech Harmony Smart Control & Hub
Amazon Echo Dot | Samsung SmartThings Hub

Last edited by IronWaffle; 01-18-2017 at 04:49 PM.
post #6723 of 6730 Unread 01-18-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 664
I've only heard the Imagine S as I just helped my cousin install a pair. They are the current upgrade/replacement to the Image S5, so really should prove to be the better speaker. My cousin got his from an eBay seller for $600, about 1/2 price and they were indeed an unopened factory sealed box. He would have preferred the cherry finish to be a perfect match to his cherry Imagine T, but get walnut and the two finishes are really so close it doesn't matter. Being on the other side of the room, no one would ever notice. Sound terrific!
IronWaffle likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.

post #6724 of 6730 Unread 01-19-2017, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Another + with the Imagine S, they can be wired as 2 separate speakers.

GAMERTAG: ORYX

post #6725 of 6730 Unread 01-20-2017, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I might be finally upgrading my receiver which will allow me to use atmos and dtsx.
I have the t2, c , b and xb in a 7.1 configuration.

I noticed that psb released some new in-ceiling speakers that look interesting. for budget purposes and actual ceiling placement of the speakers (which I messed up because seating arrangements have changed , a long story for an atmos thread at some point) I was thinking of starting off with just 2 , to make it 7.1.2

for the speaker model though, I see 2 of them that would be ideal the CS610 and CS650
budget wise, I would prefer the 610's, 650's are a but pricey. specs wise, they seem very close, anyone know if the 650 is really worth the leap?
both seem to allow you to re-direct the tweeter it seems. should I be going another route? but they wont timber match. I hope these are powerful enough?

Im in Montreal/Canada, I can only seem to find these on ebay for some reason, any other Canadian retailers that sell these? I might need to call Centre HiFi.
post #6726 of 6730 Unread 02-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Image B5's paired with X2T's

Hey guys, I've been looking to upgrade my 2.1 setup with PSB X2T's to an Atmos system for a while now. Waiting for a price drop on the Anthem MRX720 or maybe something else in the near future. I found a pair of Image B5's in perfect condition for $175 CAD yesterday and picked them up last night, since the price was right. They sound almost as good as my X2T's paired with the Rythmik sub crossed over at 60Hz with a minidsp. Makes me think i could have saved a lot of money haha. Will they be a good match as surrounds paired with the X2T's? I read that they are very similar to the XB's which i was planning on using. Figured this will save me about $300-$400 that i can put towards the amp. Heights and a center will come later.

NAD D1050 > NAD C320BEE / MiniDSP 2x4 > PSB X2T's / Rythmik FVX15
post #6727 of 6730 Unread 02-03-2017, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolaco View Post
Hey guys, I've been looking to upgrade my 2.1 setup with PSB X2T's to an Atmos system for a while now. Waiting for a price drop on the Anthem MRX720 or maybe something else in the near future. I found a pair of Image B5's in perfect condition for $175 CAD yesterday and picked them up last night, since the price was right. They sound almost as good as my X2T's paired with the Rythmik sub crossed over at 60Hz with a minidsp. Makes me think i could have saved a lot of money haha. Will they be a good match as surrounds paired with the X2T's? I read that they are very similar to the XB's which i was planning on using. Figured this will save me about $300-$400 that i can put towards the amp. Heights and a center will come later.
I would recommend the front three LFR are the same family but rears tend not to matter as much. The older Image speakers are really great and will keep up with the Imagine X line.
post #6728 of 6730 Unread 02-03-2017, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skads_187 View Post

for the speaker model though, I see 2 of them that would be ideal the CS610 and CS650
budget wise, I would prefer the 610's, 650's are a but pricey. specs wise, they seem very close, anyone know if the 650 is really worth the leap?
both seem to allow you to re-direct the tweeter it seems. should I be going another route? but they wont timber match. I hope these are powerful enough?

Im in Montreal/Canada, I can only seem to find these on ebay for some reason, any other Canadian retailers that sell these? I might need to call Centre HiFi.

Grab the 610. for elevation speakers there will be little difference
skads_187 likes this.
post #6729 of 6730 Unread 02-03-2017, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebook23 View Post
I would recommend the front three LFR are the same family but rears tend not to matter as much. The older Image speakers are really great and will keep up with the Imagine X line.

Yup, definitely going with the XC for the center. I believe surrounds matter more when playing music SACD's etc. My dad has a large collection that i can borrow, so eventually i would like to get a bluray player capable of playing SACDs. I think the B5's should match well for that right?

NAD D1050 > NAD C320BEE / MiniDSP 2x4 > PSB X2T's / Rythmik FVX15
post #6730 of 6730 Unread 02-03-2017, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolaco View Post
Yup, definitely going with the XC for the center. I believe surrounds matter more when playing music SACD's etc. My dad has a large collection that i can borrow, so eventually i would like to get a bluray player capable of playing SACDs. I think the B5's should match well for that right?

If you where to ask me what speakers would match with the Imagine X line other then the Imagine X speakers it would be the Image speakers. Construction wise they are very similar, it's just the driver that is a different material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Audyssey , image s5 c5 , Nad , Psb , psb image b6 , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , psb speakers x1t , psb speakers x2t , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer