PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 226 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 212Likes

post #6751 of 6764 Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey guys I have an all Synchrony system and am thinking of adding Atmos. I know some say it's not important to timbre match, but I do, so I'm sticking with PSB's. My question is, is it worth it to go with the top of the line CS650, or will the CS610 do the job. I see the 650's use a 1" titanium tweeter that looks similar to the ones in my Synchrony's.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 6764 Old 03-22-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaRomeoTango View Post
*raises hand* I'm one of those crazies. I have 7 x Imagine T's in the room so I could get the LCR matching. As expected the imaging when panning is perfection but I did have to split up a pair to get this configuration. Last I checked, Crutchfield allowed you to order single speakers online. I'm not sure if the order will ship that way though.
I'm not going so far in search of perfection, but I use Imagine Ts as wides and side surrounds in my 9.x.4 system, along with the T2 up front and the current Imagine C. I really like the phantom imaging between my main speakers and wides, and the seamless effect you get with DSU or Neural:X upmixing there.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 16/24, NAD M27 and Wyred4Sound MMC-7 amps
Display: Panasonic VT50, Lumagen Radiance Mini. Misc.: Oppo 103, Samsung K8500 UHD player, JRiver
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2, Center, Imagine T Wides and Side Surrounds, Imagine S rear surrounds,
PSB Imagine XA Dolby AE Speakers (4), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 9.4.4
post #6753 of 6764 Old 03-23-2017, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So PSB T2 owners... I'm looking to build a new front stage and the T2's are my top choice right now. I'm just curious what other speakers you folks demo'd and/or considered in the same league (towers) before deciding. I'm currently running Amphion Argon II's LRC and want something with a much lower end to run in Pure Direct on my RX3060 w/ Parasound A21 driving them. Also running a True Sub Junior. 15x15 room 1 side open with 3 foot knee wall. Looking around $3500 or so including a new center. Amphions will do the surround work and I'll be adding in-ceiling later. Mucho Gracias!

post #6754 of 6764 Old 04-02-2017, 01:07 PM
TL5
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post
Hey guys I have an all Synchrony system and am thinking of adding Atmos. I know some say it's not important to timbre match, but I do, so I'm sticking with PSB's. My question is, is it worth it to go with the top of the line CS650, or will the CS610 do the job. I see the 650's use a 1" titanium tweeter that looks similar to the ones in my Synchrony's.

Thoughts?
Bump....anyone?
post #6755 of 6764 Old 04-03-2017, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to upgrade the surround portion of my system for a more immersive sound. I am presently running the following in 7.1:

Emotiva MC-700
Emotiva XPA-2
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-203
Samsung 8000 series 65" 4K panel
PSB Imagine T2 towers
PSB Imagine C center
PSB Imagine S Surrounds
PSB Subseries 300

Although they sound fine, I don't have ideal placement on the S surround speakers. I have them wired to work as separate speakers for side and back surround, but I can't seem to get them positioned just right so I hear both of the channels where they should be. I was looking at either selling off the Imagine S and buying two pair of Imagine Minis, or just keeping the Imagine S as the back (wired to use all drivers) and purchasing one pair of Imagine Minis to use as sides. I also considered selling off the Imagine S and buying two pairs of the PSB Imagine XB rather than the Minis, I'm not concerned as much about the aesthetics of the black surrounds; only concerned about timbre matching. Thoughts?

Thanks
post #6756 of 6764 Old 04-03-2017, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Most room shapes benefit more from individual direct firing speakers rather than the reflecting sound of that type of angled front baffle surround. As we move to Atmos & DTS/X object based channel assignments you're usually better off with ditching the Imagine S and getting four Imagine Mini or Imagine B. You could probably get away using the Imagine XB in those positions, it's harder to discern the timbre matching with surround, rear and ceiling speakers as it is with the front three.
BroncoAZ and GIEGAR like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #6757 of 6764 Old 04-03-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Most room shapes benefit more from individual direct firing speakers rather than the reflecting sound of that type of angled front baffle surround. As we move to Atmos & DTS/X object based channel assignments you're usually better off with ditching the Imagine S and getting four Imagine Mini or Imagine B. You could probably get away using the Imagine XB in those positions, it's harder to discern the timbre matching with surround, rear and ceiling speakers as it is with the front three.
I wouldn't use the Imagine Minis as rears unless you have a small room with the speakers relatively closer to you (4-5 feet?) and/or listen at low volumes (90 db peaks work comfortably, as per the 2012 Stereophile review, but they can get stressed above that). They only go up to about 80 watts power handling, and I don't think they'd do well crossed anywhere below 100 Hz, and probably more like 120 Hz for many rooms. If it were me I'd do the Imagine XBs, since they're more capable and run at about $499/pair.

Having said this, I agree about the Imagine S now that we're in the 3D audio object-based world as the current standard. The S won't capture the separation between side and rears accurately in bipole mode, now that we care about even more the physical placement, and they might be too diffuse run as dipoles (two drivers opposite facing with one input signal). While you could repurpose them as a monopole by simply using one of the two driver sides and have them facing forward, which I did with my own Imagine S, if I were buying bookshelf surround speakers from PSB now I'd get the Imagine B or the XB.

In theory the Imagine B, which are about twice the price of the XB, are better constructed speakers with more robust bracing, yet they have the same power handling, same sized woofers and the same tweeter technology, so I'm not sure if the price premium is really worth it if you're using these bookshelves as sides or rears.

FWIW I'm replacing my Imagine XAs with probably Imagine XBs to have physical front and rear heights (the XAs work perfectly well as intended, but the elevation with virtual speakers doesn't get captured well when I use my processor's Trinnov remapping), so I'll be curious if anyone's using the XBs or the Bs as height speakers.
BroncoAZ, GIEGAR and KenM10759 like this.

Display: Panasonic VT50, Lumagen Radiance Mini. Misc.: Oppo 103, Samsung K8500 UHD player, JRiver
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2, Center, Imagine T Wides and Side Surrounds, Imagine S rear surrounds,

Last edited by sdrucker; 04-03-2017 at 11:33 AM.
post #6758 of 6764 Old 04-03-2017, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoryx View Post
I do not see why your setup will not work.
Also, in the new place, you can play a bit with placement of the Imagine S. You can wire them up to make a 7.1 system.
Anyone have a recommendation on best place to put the S speakers for a dual monopole set up? seems like in the back is better? Though now there's all this talk of ditching surrounds because of atmos...sigh
post #6759 of 6764 Old 04-03-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZaha View Post
Anyone have a recommendation on best place to put the S speakers for a dual monopole set up? seems like in the back is better? Though now there's all this talk of ditching surrounds because of atmos...sigh
Not ditching surrounds, but using a direct-firiing speaker as a surround, which means the Imagine B or XB rather than an Imagine S if you have the option in the object-oriemted world of Atmos, where location matters .

You can do what I've done as an interim step by pointing the Imagine S sideways so that one of the two sets of drivers is facing out toward your listening position, with that driver in (single) mono mode as a side or (what I did) as a rear surround. But that's a waste of an opposite firing speaker, and you would probably need to put the S on a bookshelf stand to make it work. I'm ditching that approach for a different reason outside of this discussion....more later this week.

Alternatively, if you've the room and don't care about Atmos or DTS:X you could use the Imagine S as a dipole surround.

post #6760 of 6764 Old 04-04-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Not ditching surrounds, but using a direct-firiing speaker as a surround, which means the Imagine B or XB rather than an Imagine S if you have the option in the object-oriemted world of Atmos, where location matters .

You can do what I've done as an interim step by pointing the Imagine S sideways so that one of the two sets of drivers is facing out toward your listening position, with that driver in (single) mono mode as a side or (what I did) as a rear surround. But that's a waste of an opposite firing speaker, and you would probably need to put the S on a bookshelf stand to make it work. I'm ditching that approach for a different reason outside of this discussion....more later this week.

Alternatively, if you've the room and don't care about Atmos or DTS:X you could use the Imagine S as a dipole surround.
Don't plan on having Atmos (upgrading receiver) any time soon, so for the time being exploring upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1 as i move to a new room (currently using the S in dipole). I know the imagine S can be set to dual monopole - just not sure where best placement is once it's wired? Alternatively, thinking of using the imagine S as bipole and getting imagine mini for sides (or vice versa?)

Last edited by TheZaha; 04-04-2017 at 02:22 PM.
post #6761 of 6764 Old 04-05-2017, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZaha View Post
Don't plan on having Atmos (upgrading receiver) any time soon, so for the time being exploring upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1 as i move to a new room (currently using the S in dipole). I know the imagine S can be set to dual monopole - just not sure where best placement is once it's wired? Alternatively, thinking of using the imagine S as bipole and getting imagine mini for sides (or vice versa?)
I read back a bit, and I see your new room will be 15x25 (is that 25' length?). I've had a rooms somewhat similar to yours in the past: a 23x17 multipurpose room a few years ago where I wound up having to have the sofa about 3' from the back wall. And due to room layout (windows on one side, and too short a wall on the other), I couldn't do both sides and rears, so I picked up the Imagine S and tried it in dipole and dual mono modes. I ultimately used the S in dual mono to get 7.1, and it "worked" in giving me separate imaging, but the sides and rear sounds were sometimes smeared due to being physically too close to one another. When I measured them with my old Sherwood R-972 Trinnov Optimizer, the sides and rears were electronically at about 120 and 130 degrees respectively, which is too close for meaningful separation. Unless you have no choice, I'd stay away from dual mono if I could.

Personally if your room physically supports it, I'd do the Imagine S as the side surrounds in dipole (both driver faces firing, one towards the front and the other towards the back of the room, but the jumper connecting both sets of binding posts) ahead of bipole (the same, but the jumper disconnected so that you'd be powering each driver face independently). I don't think bi-amping these passive speakers will gain you much. But dipole might help make the front/side and side/rear transitions more seamless in a 5.1/7.1 world.

And in a room this big, I'd get the Imagine XB over the Mini if you're watching budget, since the Mini has a smaller (4") woofer/midrange and the power handling will be considerably less than your other floor speakers. I think the Mini is more expensive than the XBs, but you're also paying for the cabinet.

The XB have the same size woofer (5 1/4) and an identical 1" tweeter to the Imagine B, which is/was a bigger sibling to the Mini. But since you're using the speaker as a rear or side, the more robust construction isn't going to matter as much as when they'd be upfront mains in a small room.
GIEGAR likes this.

post #6762 of 6764 Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I read back a bit, and I see your new room will be 15x25 (is that 25' length?). I've had a rooms somewhat similar to yours in the past: a 23x17 multipurpose room a few years ago where I wound up having to have the sofa about 3' from the back wall. And due to room layout (windows on one side, and too short a wall on the other), I couldn't do both sides and rears, so I picked up the Imagine S and tried it in dipole and dual mono modes. I ultimately used the S in dual mono to get 7.1, and it "worked" in giving me separate imaging, but the sides and rear sounds were sometimes smeared due to being physically too close to one another. When I measured them with my old Sherwood R-972 Trinnov Optimizer, the sides and rears were electronically at about 120 and 130 degrees respectively, which is too close for meaningful separation. Unless you have no choice, I'd stay away from dual mono if I could.

Personally if your room physically supports it, I'd do the Imagine S as the side surrounds in dipole (both driver faces firing, one towards the front and the other towards the back of the room, but the jumper connecting both sets of binding posts) ahead of bipole (the same, but the jumper disconnected so that you'd be powering each driver face independently). I don't think bi-amping these passive speakers will gain you much. But dipole might help make the front/side and side/rear transitions more seamless in a 5.1/7.1 world.

And in a room this big, I'd get the Imagine XB over the Mini if you're watching budget, since the Mini has a smaller (4") woofer/midrange and the power handling will be considerably less than your other floor speakers. I think the Mini is more expensive than the XBs, but you're also paying for the cabinet.

The XB have the same size woofer (5 1/4) and an identical 1" tweeter to the Imagine B, which is/was a bigger sibling to the Mini. But since you're using the speaker as a rear or side, the more robust construction isn't going to matter as much as when they'd be upfront mains in a small room.
Thanks! This all makes ton of sense and i think will be exactly what i do! Thanks for clarity on the dual monopole; seemed like a decent option but i have the space and set up to upgrade from 5.1 to 7.2 so i will do that. There's a pesky window in the back corner of the room so i'll have to push my seats up a bit to be 4' from the wall (12' from the screen) so that the dipoles are on the same plane but shouldn't be a problem.

Reached out to my AV dealer to set up appt and talk about projector + XBs.

Thanks again!
post #6763 of 6764 Old Today, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I recently bought a new house, which is still being finished up, and I've been looking around for speakers to install for my whole home audio system. Right now, in my current living room, I have a 7.1.4 Atmos setup with Klipsch Reference Premier speakers. All of them are free standing.
In the new house, I won't be able to use my Klipsch speakers in the living room since it's an open floor plan, so I'm going to put them in a dedicated theater room upstairs. I've always enjoyed having my system setup in my living room since it's comfortable and more casual, not to mention social, compared to a dedicated theater. So, I've been considering the PSB in-ceiling speakers for my living room because I don't want wires running everywhere. I want to have a decent setup to enjoy watching movies, but because of the layout of the floor plan, an Atmos/DTS:X setup in the living room is out of the question. The PSB in-ceiling speakers seem like they would be able to produce a good sound, and I would be able to differentiate the separate channels despite the ceilings being 14' high.
When looking at the specifications of these speakers, I noticed that they were 6 ohm instead of 8 ohm, which I've always had.
Since I've never heard these speakers before, nor have I ever owned 6 ohm speakers, is there anything in particular that I would need to push these speakers to get the best sound quality I can from them? And, with 14' ceilings, would these speakers be able to produce enough of a directional sound to have a 7.1 setup or should I stick with a 5.1 setup? I'm afraid with 14' ceilings that the sound would get diffused so much before reaching the listening position that I won't even be able to differentiate between a 5.1 and a 7.1 setup.
If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. I need to buy speakers for the entire house, but I want 2 zones that I could use for watching movies and get the best sound as possible. In all the other rooms, I'm still trying to decide what kind of speakers to get. Every other room, besides the dedicated theater upstairs, will have a pair of speakers for a whole house audio system, but I don't think I need these PSB speakers in every room, only in the living room (I think they called in a great room) where I will be watching TV, movies, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #6764 of 6764 Old Today, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I'm not going so far in search of perfection, but I use Imagine Ts as wides and side surrounds in my 9.x.4 system, along with the T2 up front and the current Imagine C. I really like the phantom imaging between my main speakers and wides, and the seamless effect you get with DSU or Neural:X upmixing there.
I've done an upgrade to top off this system....thanks to a speaker trade-in and an open box deal on a gently demo'd pair, I've upgraded my L/R fronts to be Imagine T3s. I've rotated one pair of my Imagine Ts to be rears, and now have my older T2s as side surrounds. I'll probably be doing the swap from my Imagine C in the short term to the used T2 in about a month to use as a center.

The payoff is that I'm getting a much wider soundstage and better presence of midrange voicing, acoustic guitars, and clarity of keyboard instruments than I'd gotten before. Call it a B+ vs. an A, but the difference in noticeable...enough that I've actually started going back to two-channel+sub listening for two-channel music as I've found that neither DSU or Neural:X add particularly much with the T3s in action. Movies are a different story, though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Audyssey , image s5 c5 , Nad , Psb , psb image b6 , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , psb speakers x1t , psb speakers x2t , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer