PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 212Likes

post #6781 of 6787 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

You really should consider adding a capable sub though. It's not about extension; it's about excursion, which requires a lot of power to be dissipated. From the source above, look where the distortion is piling up when playing at "only" 95dBSPL @ 2m. Offload those frequencies to a sub and your X2T's will reward you.
I didn't really consider a sub because these speakers already have such a boomy bottom end. If this is a cause for the amp problem then I can easily change it by adding a sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Also, it's odd that you were blowing amps rather than the AVR's going into protection and shutting down though. Were the amps into sustained clipping when that happened? You weren't running the AVR's in low impedance mode were you?
I didn't hear any clipping or distortion at all when the amps blew. Both the amp and the speakers sounded perfectly happy. The Onkyo does this in pretty spectacular style with a small orange/yellow light show from the back of the unit along with some crackling sound effects and smoke. I can't get either repaired again under warranty (I was warned of mis-matched speaker/receiver combination) so I was looking to see if my receiver choices were the problem. I like the Onkyo so if the solution is a sub, I would certainly get another Onkyo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 6787 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the info GIEGAR.
Looking at subs, I'm considering the PSB SubSeries 200 Subwoofer. Would this be adequate to push enough low frequency load off of the X2T's or could I go with the 125 eight inch be enough?
post #6783 of 6787 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor95 View Post
Thanks for the info GIEGAR.
Looking at subs, I'm considering the PSB SubSeries 200 Subwoofer. Would this be adequate to push enough low frequency load off of the X2T's or could I go with the 125 eight inch be enough?
Why even consider a PSB sub when there's so many other choices at lower pricing with better performance? Look at Hsu Research, Rythmik, SVS, Powersound Audio, many more to choose from.

As for the Onkyo giving up the magic smoke, help me to understand just how you wired the speakers and configured the AVR. There is little to no benefit in bi-wiring or bi-amping from an AVR. If you want serious, consistent power, use the pre-amp outputs of the AVR (assuming it has them) and send the signals to a true amplifier. Preferably choose one that puts out a true, clean 80 to 150 watts per channel. If your current (blown) AVR has pre-outs, those may still be fine and you could just get a 5 or 7 channel power amp now and continue to use the Onkyo.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.

post #6784 of 6787 Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have never had or auditioned PSB speakers. Saying that locally on Craigslist someone has a pair of Image 1B, and an 8C center for $100 for the whole set. What are these comparable too? I am looking to have a budget setup for 5.1 in my living room while I turn my loft into a theaterish area.
post #6785 of 6787 Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Why even consider a PSB sub when there's so many other choices at lower pricing with better performance? Look at Hsu Research, Rythmik, SVS, Powersound Audio, many more to choose from.
Because this is the PSB Speaker Owner's thread.....

Quote:
As for the Onkyo giving up the magic smoke, help me to understand just how you wired the speakers and configured the AVR. There is little to no benefit in bi-wiring or bi-amping from an AVR. If you want serious, consistent power, use the pre-amp outputs of the AVR (assuming it has them) and send the signals to a true amplifier. Preferably choose one that puts out a true, clean 80 to 150 watts per channel. If your current (blown) AVR has pre-outs, those may still be fine and you could just get a 5 or 7 channel power amp now and continue to use the Onkyo.
Wired according to the Onkyo manual. Fronts on lower, backs on upper, straps removed, Superflex Monster cable about 2m length polarization matched from AVR to Speaker posts. Onkyo settings for 2.0 no sub, eq was left flat.
post #6786 of 6787 Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

My vote:
Rythmik Audio F15HP

Couldn't be happier.

Paired with
1X C5 (Center)
2X S5 (Surrounds)
2X T6 (Front)

Driven by Yamaha RXV-3900
post #6787 of 6787 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor95 View Post
Because this is the PSB Speaker Owner's thread.....

Wired according to the Onkyo manual. Fronts on lower, backs on upper, straps removed, Superflex Monster cable about 2m length polarization matched from AVR to Speaker posts. Onkyo settings for 2.0 no sub, eq was left flat.
I understand it's a PSB owners' thread. Perhaps you unaware of how few subs from a major speaker manufacturer are bought to match the brand of speakers. The low frequencies of a subwoofer aren't something that is distinguishable in sound profile (signature, voice, etc) as loudspeakers covering the range from about 100-160hz on up are. The overwhelming majority of owners of any brand of speakers use one of those I mentioned (or others) because to buy from the loudspeaker maker (PSB in this case) you usually get a sub that doesn't go nearly as low and costs you far more for the poorer performance.

My cousin has PSB Imagine T speakers, I have KEF R series, and my son has KEF Q series. We all use SVS subs and decided upon them after comparing to the speaker maker's "matched" offerings at the audio store where we bought speakers. It wasn't even close. I know PSB makes a good looking sub, but the ones you mentioned pale in comparison to something like the Rythmik F15HP or even the SVS SB2000 or PB2000. Until you hear both, it may be hard to convince you of the value they offer compared to the PSB subs.

As for the wiring, I'm sure you followed the manual for connections. How did you set up the amps in the Onkyo's on-screen menus? I don't know what your particular Onkyo can actually do, but most only offer bi-amping and not true bi-wiring. The amps in an AVR are still limited by the output of the unit's power supply, and you may have still been asking too much of them by introducing loads like that. As another mentioned, it is the low frequencies normally handled by a sub that chew up power from an AVR and that's the reason I suggest a multi-channel power amp if your Onkyo has pre-outs and you're not running a sub.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Audyssey , image s5 c5 , Nad , Psb , psb image b6 , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , psb speakers x1t , psb speakers x2t , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer