PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 216Likes

post #6781 of 6802 Old 06-12-2017, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

You really should consider adding a capable sub though. It's not about extension; it's about excursion, which requires a lot of power to be dissipated. From the source above, look where the distortion is piling up when playing at "only" 95dBSPL @ 2m. Offload those frequencies to a sub and your X2T's will reward you.
I didn't really consider a sub because these speakers already have such a boomy bottom end. If this is a cause for the amp problem then I can easily change it by adding a sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Also, it's odd that you were blowing amps rather than the AVR's going into protection and shutting down though. Were the amps into sustained clipping when that happened? You weren't running the AVR's in low impedance mode were you?
I didn't hear any clipping or distortion at all when the amps blew. Both the amp and the speakers sounded perfectly happy. The Onkyo does this in pretty spectacular style with a small orange/yellow light show from the back of the unit along with some crackling sound effects and smoke. I can't get either repaired again under warranty (I was warned of mis-matched speaker/receiver combination) so I was looking to see if my receiver choices were the problem. I like the Onkyo so if the solution is a sub, I would certainly get another Onkyo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 6802 Old 06-12-2017, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the info GIEGAR.
Looking at subs, I'm considering the PSB SubSeries 200 Subwoofer. Would this be adequate to push enough low frequency load off of the X2T's or could I go with the 125 eight inch be enough?
post #6783 of 6802 Old 06-12-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor95 View Post
Thanks for the info GIEGAR.
Looking at subs, I'm considering the PSB SubSeries 200 Subwoofer. Would this be adequate to push enough low frequency load off of the X2T's or could I go with the 125 eight inch be enough?
Why even consider a PSB sub when there's so many other choices at lower pricing with better performance? Look at Hsu Research, Rythmik, SVS, Powersound Audio, many more to choose from.

As for the Onkyo giving up the magic smoke, help me to understand just how you wired the speakers and configured the AVR. There is little to no benefit in bi-wiring or bi-amping from an AVR. If you want serious, consistent power, use the pre-amp outputs of the AVR (assuming it has them) and send the signals to a true amplifier. Preferably choose one that puts out a true, clean 80 to 150 watts per channel. If your current (blown) AVR has pre-outs, those may still be fine and you could just get a 5 or 7 channel power amp now and continue to use the Onkyo.
Matt2818 likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.

post #6784 of 6802 Old 06-12-2017, 06:25 PM

Liked: 10
I have never had or auditioned PSB speakers. Saying that locally on Craigslist someone has a pair of Image 1B, and an 8C center for $100 for the whole set. What are these comparable too? I am looking to have a budget setup for 5.1 in my living room while I turn my loft into a theaterish area.
post #6785 of 6802 Old 06-12-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Why even consider a PSB sub when there's so many other choices at lower pricing with better performance? Look at Hsu Research, Rythmik, SVS, Powersound Audio, many more to choose from.
Because this is the PSB Speaker Owner's thread.....

Quote:
As for the Onkyo giving up the magic smoke, help me to understand just how you wired the speakers and configured the AVR. There is little to no benefit in bi-wiring or bi-amping from an AVR. If you want serious, consistent power, use the pre-amp outputs of the AVR (assuming it has them) and send the signals to a true amplifier. Preferably choose one that puts out a true, clean 80 to 150 watts per channel. If your current (blown) AVR has pre-outs, those may still be fine and you could just get a 5 or 7 channel power amp now and continue to use the Onkyo.
Wired according to the Onkyo manual. Fronts on lower, backs on upper, straps removed, Superflex Monster cable about 2m length polarization matched from AVR to Speaker posts. Onkyo settings for 2.0 no sub, eq was left flat.
post #6786 of 6802 Old 06-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

My vote:
Rythmik Audio F15HP

Couldn't be happier.

Paired with
1X C5 (Center)
2X S5 (Surrounds)
2X T6 (Front)

Driven by Yamaha RXV-3900
post #6787 of 6802 Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor95 View Post
Because this is the PSB Speaker Owner's thread.....

Wired according to the Onkyo manual. Fronts on lower, backs on upper, straps removed, Superflex Monster cable about 2m length polarization matched from AVR to Speaker posts. Onkyo settings for 2.0 no sub, eq was left flat.
I understand it's a PSB owners' thread. Perhaps you unaware of how few subs from a major speaker manufacturer are bought to match the brand of speakers. The low frequencies of a subwoofer aren't something that is distinguishable in sound profile (signature, voice, etc) as loudspeakers covering the range from about 100-160hz on up are. The overwhelming majority of owners of any brand of speakers use one of those I mentioned (or others) because to buy from the loudspeaker maker (PSB in this case) you usually get a sub that doesn't go nearly as low and costs you far more for the poorer performance.

My cousin has PSB Imagine T speakers, I have KEF R series, and my son has KEF Q series. We all use SVS subs and decided upon them after comparing to the speaker maker's "matched" offerings at the audio store where we bought speakers. It wasn't even close. I know PSB makes a good looking sub, but the ones you mentioned pale in comparison to something like the Rythmik F15HP or even the SVS SB2000 or PB2000. Until you hear both, it may be hard to convince you of the value they offer compared to the PSB subs.

As for the wiring, I'm sure you followed the manual for connections. How did you set up the amps in the Onkyo's on-screen menus? I don't know what your particular Onkyo can actually do, but most only offer bi-amping and not true bi-wiring. The amps in an AVR are still limited by the output of the unit's power supply, and you may have still been asking too much of them by introducing loads like that. As another mentioned, it is the low frequencies normally handled by a sub that chew up power from an AVR and that's the reason I suggest a multi-channel power amp if your Onkyo has pre-outs and you're not running a sub.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #6788 of 6802 Old 06-25-2017, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Can someone recommend a good receiver to use with my setup? Image T6s as front, C5 as center, and image B6s as rears. I'm currently using a Pioneer VSX1018ah but I don't feel that it sounds that great. It may be underpowered. Looking to spend under $600.
post #6789 of 6802 Old 06-26-2017, 11:55 AM

Thoughts on the Marantz SR5011 or Denon 3300 for my setup? Are these good matches for PSB speakers?
post #6790 of 6802 Old 06-26-2017, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by david61983 View Post
Can someone recommend a good receiver to use with my setup? Image T6s as front, C5 as center, and image B6s as rears. I'm currently using a Pioneer VSX1018ah but I don't feel that it sounds that great. It may be underpowered. Looking to spend under $600.
I have almost the exact same setup, just B5s as rears instead of B6s. I had them running on a Denon AVR-1712 but then switched to a Sony STR-DN1050.

They sound pretty close although the Sony sounds just a little bit better to me. The Sony's user interface is miles ahead of the Denon's.

Of course, these are both older receivers, so current models may be different.
post #6791 of 6802 Old 07-01-2017, 07:21 PM

If i want to upgrade my system to Atmos capability will the Imagine XAs work with my Image T6s? I've read that the Imagine XT2s are nearly identical to the Image T6s.
post #6792 of 6802 Old 07-07-2017, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
What's the placement requirements of the Imagine T3, ie distances from back/side wall and room size requirements? I'm considering them in a 12x18 ft (3.5m x 7m) room for 2 channel listening, but was told by a sales rep that the rear-ported T3 is too big for my room: they need at least 2 ft from the walls and the rear ports will make the bass overkill for my smallish listening space and make the bass muddy. Is that true?
post #6793 of 6802 Old 07-07-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
What's the placement requirements of the Imagine T3, ie distances from back/side wall and room size requirements? I'm considering them in a 12x18 ft (3.5m x 7m) room for 2 channel listening, but was told by a sales rep that the rear-ported T3 is too big for my room: they need at least 2 ft from the walls and the rear ports will make the bass overkill for my smallish listening space and make the bass muddy. Is that true?
If you're not running any room EQ, there's something to that. One thing you can do to try to tame room gain from the lowest bass if you don't have room EQ is use the port plug on the bottom woofer. Best approach would be to get some sort of measurement gear like REW or OmniMic, and then measure where the bass peaks/nulls result from the mains and adjust accordingly. Placement is a free adjustment of your speakers, so I'd measure in multiple placements (e.g. 2 feet, 3 feet etc. from the wall, also exactly at the wall) to see what your room does to your performance. I have the T3s in my 11.4.6 HT setup, and they're certainly capable of 20-25 Hz performance in the right room, but you have to place carefully to see what happens.

If you have independent subs in your two-channel setup, you can read the instructions for "shorting out" the woofer with the supplied tool and see if that provides a smoother speaker/sub splice. However, that really requires room measurement gear to do right, and I can't say I've heard of anyone actually doing that....

A nice, considerably cheaper alternative for two-channel are the T2s, but the mid-range and the speaker design of the T3s really put the high frequencies in a class by themselves for music. I've had both the T2 and T3 (currently have the T2 as side surrounds), and in my 20' long x 15' wide room the improvement in the sound stage is obvious. Even if you don't need the lowest bass, the T3s punch way above their financial weight compared to, say, top of the line Revels or Paradigms IMO.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 16/24, NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Misc.: Oppo 103, Oppo 203 UHD player, JRiver
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides and Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 11.4.6

Last edited by sdrucker; 07-07-2017 at 03:50 PM.
post #6794 of 6802 Old 07-07-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by david61983 View Post
If i want to upgrade my system to Atmos capability will the Imagine XAs work with my Image T6s? I've read that the Imagine XT2s are nearly identical to the Image T6s.

I used to have two pairs of the XAs before I moved to on-ceiling speakers (three pairs of the CS1000s), and they certainly do a good job out of the box as long as you have a flat ceiling (8' or higher) and they can be placed on top of or adjacent to the associated floor speakers. It's critical to have them no more than maybe 4', or 1/2way up towards the ceiling.

I don't know anything about the T6 but I had the X2T as side surrounds for a brief period, and they're nice three-way speakers for the price, as long as you don't mind their bulkiness.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 16/24, NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Misc.: Oppo 103, Oppo 203 UHD player, JRiver
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides and Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 11.4.6
post #6795 of 6802 Old 07-07-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
I just read the manual for the T3's and they're really thin on worthwhile information. At least KEF does give those suggested measurement ranges for their speakers.

You should be fine in that room, though you didn't state which orientation in the room the speakers would be placed nor what distances you can get them away from walls, corners, each other or the listener. My dealer had them set up in a similarly sized room, but did have them about 3 feet out from the back (narrower measurement) wall and perhaps 10 feet apart with the listening position about 12 feet from the speakers and slight toe-in. They sounded amazing. If you're really close to a wall with them and do have a subwoofer, you can always try using one or both port plugs.

post #6796 of 6802 Old 07-08-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
If you're not running any room EQ, there's something to that. One thing you can do to try to tame room gain from the lowest bass if you don't have room EQ is use the port plug on the bottom woofer. Best approach would be to get some sort of measurement gear like REW or OmniMic, and then measure where the bass peaks/nulls result from the mains and adjust accordingly. Placement is a free adjustment of your speakers, so I'd measure in multiple placements (e.g. 2 feet, 3 feet etc. from the wall, also exactly at the wall) to see what your room does to your performance. I have the T3s in my 11.4.6 HT setup, and they're certainly capable of 20-25 Hz performance in the right room, but you have to place carefully to see what happens.

If you have independent subs in your two-channel setup, you can read the instructions for "shorting out" the woofer with the supplied tool and see if that provides a smoother speaker/sub splice. However, that really requires room measurement gear to do right, and I can't say I've heard of anyone actually doing that....

A nice, considerably cheaper alternative for two-channel are the T2s, but the mid-range and the speaker design of the T3s really put the high frequencies in a class by themselves for music. I've had both the T2 and T3 (currently have the T2 as side surrounds), and in my 20' long x 15' wide room the improvement in the sound stage is obvious. Even if you don't need the lowest bass, the T3s punch way above their financial weight compared to, say, top of the line Revels or Paradigms IMO.
Quote:
I just read the manual for the T3's and they're really thin on worthwhile information. At least KEF does give those suggested measurement ranges for their speakers.

You should be fine in that room, though you didn't state which orientation in the room the speakers would be placed nor what distances you can get them away from walls, corners, each other or the listener. My dealer had them set up in a similarly sized room, but did have them about 3 feet out from the back (narrower measurement) wall and perhaps 10 feet apart with the listening position about 12 feet from the speakers and slight toe-in. They sounded amazing. If you're really close to a wall with them and do have a subwoofer, you can always try using one or both port plugs.
Really appreciate the comments guys.

How is this room setup for 2-channel listening?

Here's what the listening area looks like. I'm hopeful that drapes in the north behind the speakers can take care of wall reflection. So I can use port plugs to tame T3's bass, and sub to replace the towers' low frequency as the sub is more controllable in terms of placement? I don't have a sub though (nor room EQ) and will need to research on the REW/OmniMic measurement thing - do I want bass peak or null in the listening position?

It will be really great if I can make these rear-ported big towers work in my room as the T3 is a prime candidate on my short list and even if it doesnt work I can consider other rear-ported towers.
KenM10759 likes this.

Last edited by Shangri-La; 07-08-2017 at 11:20 AM.
post #6797 of 6802 Old 07-08-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those speakers, placed like that in that room....should kick ass!

Shangri-La likes this.

post #6798 of 6802 Old 07-08-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Those speakers, placed like that in that room....should kick ass!

Thank you for the confidence lol! Now I just need to audition the T3 : D
post #6799 of 6802 Old 07-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm now running a full PSB Imagine 5.1 setup: Imagine T (main L/R), Imagine-C, and Imagine B (rear L/R) with an SVS SB-2000 subwoofer. Overall, the Anthem MRX 520 drives them well with no issues. I'm impressed with the sound quality of the Imagine B speakers. I've sold off most of my older Image speakers, but am keeping my existing Image B6 speakers for my 2.0 media system in the living room. I'm actually building up my Bluesound ecosystem with the Image B6 speakers driven by a Powernode 2. It sounds great. I have a Pulse flex (my first Bluesound unit purchased) and the Node 2 for the Anthem MRX 520 system. I'm using Tidal and a hard drive connected to my router for all other music on the network. Great sound all around from the PSB speakers, Powernode 2, & the Anthem receiver.
post #6800 of 6802 Old 07-20-2017, 12:22 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
I understand it's a PSB owners' thread. Perhaps you unaware of how few subs from a major speaker manufacturer are bought to match the brand of speakers. The low frequencies of a subwoofer aren't something that is distinguishable in sound profile (signature, voice, etc) as loudspeakers covering the range from about 100-160hz on up are. The overwhelming majority of owners of any brand of speakers use one of those I mentioned (or others) because to buy from the loudspeaker maker (PSB in this case) you usually get a sub that doesn't go nearly as low and costs you far more for the poorer performance.

My cousin has PSB Imagine T speakers, I have KEF R series, and my son has KEF Q series. We all use SVS subs and decided upon them after comparing to the speaker maker's "matched" offerings at the audio store where we bought speakers. It wasn't even close. I know PSB makes a good looking sub, but the ones you mentioned pale in comparison to something like the Rythmik F15HP or even the SVS SB2000 or PB2000. Until you hear both, it may be hard to convince you of the value they offer compared to the PSB subs.
I totally agree with you. I had purchased a Subsonic 5 with the rest of PSB Image series and I replaced it 3 years ago with a Rythmik LV12-R, their entry level sub. It absolutely clobbers the Subsonic 5 not only in terms of extension and SPL but in the articulation of its delivery. I've heard pitch changes in bass with the Rythmik that was masked by the Subsonic 5. PSB makes awesome speakers but subs are not their strong point.
KenM10759 likes this.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1500
Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/Vizio SV-470M 47"
BluRay/CD: Yamaha BD-S681/Sony BDP-S360; Turntable ProJect Xpression III
Speakers PSB: Mains Image T-45/Alphas; Center Image 8C/100C; Srnd Image 1B/Alpha Mites
Subwoofer: Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 5 ; Cassette Deck: Yamaha KX800U
Media Player WD + 3TB USB drive/Iomega + 1TB internal drive
post #6801 of 6802 Old 07-21-2017, 03:22 AM

Liked: 11
I'm currently using PSB Image B15 bookshelf speakers on stands for the L/R/C channels and rear surround with Image S50 Bipoles on the surround sides just behind and to the side of the couch. This is used in combination with a Definitive Technology Powerfield 1500 (15" 250 watt) subwoofer (brought over from the previous system I had that used Carver ribbon mains with Def Tech Bipole surrounds; the Carvers have since been used in a 2-channel fully analog system in my newer house complete with turntable, custom active crossovers, etc., although I recently added Klipsch surrounds to get 4.0 (with an old outboard Technics DD/DTS decoder so as to not have to ditch my separates fully analog Carver C5 Sonic Holography pre-amp) and the Klipsch speakers bounced off the side walls (mounted low on the floor by the main chair) match much better tonally to the Carver ribbons than the Def Techs did. That room has a 48" plasma mounted on the wall above my piano which sits between the speakers (combination music listening room and recording studio and now can watch TV/Movies as well).

Anyway back to the primary theater room, the Def Tech sub crosses at 80Hz. This is used with an Epson 3100 1080p/3D projector (formerly with a Panasonic PT-AX100U 720p projector) and a 93" screen with the main seating location about 10 feet from the screen (projector around 12-13 feet away mounted on the drop box center beam (2 feet below main 8' ceiling). There's about 12 more feet to the back of the room with a B15 Surround (the center speaker matched 'pair') in the rear center position (6.1 speaker configuration). I've attached a rough diagram thrown together with Photoshop and an older photo of the room (Panasonic projector in place).

I'm currently looking at upgrading my old Yamaha receiver to a newer one and I'm considering possibilities for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. The old "Image" line is gone ("Imagine" seems to be the current thing) and I'm wondering just how tonally compatible some of those speakers are. The Imagine XB seems to have very similar specs to the B15 (similar size, bottom end and crossover points). The Imagine B seems somewhat similar to the old Image B25, although it doesn't go quite as deep and certainly the Imagine S Surround looks quite similar to the S50 surround but with the tripole wiring/switch capability to do dipole and separate monopole "7.1" modes.

One non-Atmos related issue I've had with this setup is that the optimum subwoofer setting to blend for 2-channel music is about 4dB higher than the setting needed for most "x.1" LFE soundtracks (at least to my ears and the room walls shaking versus music sounding proper). Unfortunately, the Yamaha receiver makes no distinction between the volume setting for the subwoofer for fill-in bass with satellite speakers and the LFE channel. I'm wondering if other newer receivers have separate settings for this adjustment. I was even considering a PSB tower speaker (e.g. X2T or X1T) to give me better stereo bass so the sub setting would largely just be for the LFE channel. Ebay seems to have several available slightly used for reasonable prices. But how well would this match with the B15 still used for a center channel? Would I need a pair of Imagine XB speakers to get an exact tonal match? I expect the room shaping and parametric equalizers most receivers have (even my current Yamaha has parametric with a mic to even out response between speakers) could probably get them reasonably close even if there are some differences. Certainly, just having the S50s on the side walls changes their character to some degree despite matching drivers.

That brings up the question of the S50 surrounds. They're bipole, not dipole which at the time of the transition from Dolby Pro Logic to Dolby Digital in the 1990s, they seemed the best compromise between Pro Logic's high mounted dipole non-directional surrounds and the more direct pin-point imaged Dolby 5.1 type sound. Probably close to half my movies are either Mono, Stereo or Pro Logic (I have a large 1930s-1950s movie collection including 70...yes 70 Humphrey Bogart films; all that I could locate as I'm a big fan) plus quite a few movies from the 1960s to the present as well (around 700 movies total) so I'm not totally keen on ditching the S50s bipoles which do a good job with older Dolby Surround soundtracks and yet still image surprisingly well with 5.1 and 6.1 soundtracks (I'm not really buying some of the comments in this thread about the PSB side surrounds being worthless with Atmos as they are quite good at imaging stereo surround just the same (I've got a lot of DTS and SACD surround type music albums as well and I think I'd notice if they were as bad at pin-point imaging as some people imply. What probably doesn't work so well is the Dipole mode on the Imagine S speaker that looks like the S50. That would be nebulous sounding, but bipoles aren't nebulous when fed stereo signals, only somewhat so with mono signals (hence the nice compromise for Pro Logic and Dolby Digital type soundtracks). I'm not saying they're optimal, but trying to get a perfect system for Dolby Surround, 5.1, 6.1 (EX/ES), 7.1, Atmos, DTS:X and Aurosound 3D all in one room might be a bit challenging. Some layouts are close to each other, but I don't think any speaker setup is "perfectly ideal" for every one of those. Whether one would even notice without direct comparisons is another matter.

The rear sliding glass door and half bath limit my ability to put a direct firing speaker on the left rear side of the room without blocking the doorway. This is why I went with a rear center (6.1) configuration (plus you can only buy B15 in pairs so I would have needed yet another pair to have 3 for L/C/R plus 2 for rear surround). I'm also not keen on mounting speakers on the ceiling so I'd be looking at a bounce "Atmos Enabled" type speaker for height.

The configurations I've considered given the layout relative to the existing setup shown in the diagram and described above are:

1> Remove rear surround and put a pair of Xb speakers behind my couch pointed to either side wall to get stereo rear side surrounds in combination with side S50 along couch. Add Xa Atmos enabled speakers on top of left/right front speakers and put a pair in the back of the room (can't get them too far apart due to the back door) so it reflects off the ceiling back to the couch from front/back accordingly.

2> Change PSB S50 side surrounds to Imagine S surrounds and use the 7.1 mode to get side/back surrounds that don't block the back doorway. I'm not convinced this would sound very good, though since there's very little separation between the front/back ends of the speaker. I have the feeling that Xbs mounted below ear height behind the couch pointed to side walls would reflect back and simulate rear side mounted surrounds where I can't put them (option #1) , but this would certainly be cleaner looking (less speakers all over room). I can't really play with the position too much, though becuase I already have wall mounts installed and there's a drop down "box" in the middle of the room (center beam of house and what not) that limits position (makes for a slick place to mount the projector, though as you can run white wire molds along the back and not show wires without trying to get it through the ceiling).

3> Use a 9.2 receiver and have the Xa height speakers in the front only and maintain current "6.1" rear surround in the back of the room for non-Atmos 6.1 ES/EX and 7.1 soundtracks while Atmos would have a 6.1.2 configuration.

4> Get a 7.2 receiver and configure Xa in the front for a 5.1.2 configuration and give up rear center (I only have a half dozen or so DTS-ES soundtracks anyway plus another 12-16 "7.1" DTS-HD MA soundtracks and a mere 6-12 (?) TrueHD + Atmos "7.1" soundtracks at present. Frankly, if they keep EXCLUDING Atmos from regular BDs (as some studios are starting to do like Sony's Ghostbusters 2016 that ONLY has Atmos on the 4K disc but not the 3D BD or 2D BD, I don't know how much Atmos I'd be seeing in the future. My Epson 3100 is 1080p/3D, not 4K and I'm not crazy about spending $30 for Ultra4K discs that are just going to be down-converted to 1080p when the 1080p versions are often $10-15 or less these days JUST to get an Atmos soundtrack that SHOULD have been on the 1080p BD as well (seems to be done purely to "encourage" people to buy Ultra HD players; well I just bought a PS4 not an XBox 360 so I'd need another UHD player to even use the discs. The only one I have is Ghostbusters because the 3D BD only came with the 4K set (and it was on sale for $15). Does Sony think I don't want to hear Atmos on the 3D version (and it's pretty darn nice in 3D so it would be hard to choose between 3D and 4K even if I did have a 4K projector and a large enough screen to actually see 4K resolution...but now we have HDR/WCG to blur the lines even more as they are 4K "features" but have nothing to do with the extra resolution itself.... (sigh).

Dolby's site promises Atmos support on Vudu, but I'm somehow guessing they will magically only appear on their 4K titles (despite the fact it's just Meta data and even DD+ can carry it). The industry will do anything to force 4K type sales, it seems.

Anyway, I'm curious for any comments on how the PSB Imagine S Surround sounded in 7.1 mode (saw one comment already and it wasn't so good) and how the Imagine line sounds compared to the Image line, etc. I don't want a tonal disruption nightmare on my hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Theater Photo Resized.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	2250177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Theater Layout.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	2250185  
post #6802 of 6802 Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 PM

Liked: 11
I guess PSB is dead (almost two days and not a single comment). I'll have to go by old reviews, I suppose. Or should I have limited my post to less than four or five sentences (i.e. too long; didn't read) ?

I was about to buy some PSB Imagine X2Ts to replace the L/R channel of my home theater (L/C/R are all B15s + sub) because I'd like more bass extension in 2-channel pure mode without the sub, but I have no idea how close a sonic match the Imagine line is to the old Image line. The frequency response aren't totally dissimilar, but the tweeters are now Titanium instead of Aluminum and the woofers are now clay-reinforced polypropylene. It seems like this would have to change their sound somewhat and once I change one set, I'd need to change all for it to seamlessly pan around the room; the center channel would be the most critical.

In the old days ('90s or earlier), I could just go listen to a set and possibly borrow them for a day or two to compare. These days it's mostly order online only....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Audyssey , image s5 c5 , Nad , Psb , psb image b6 , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , psb speakers x1t , psb speakers x2t , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page