post #811 of 5744 Old 02-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio View Post

You can find refurbished or used NAD, Marantz, and others that will handle 4-Ohm loads.

Even though Marantz SR-4001 is not oficially rated at 4-Ohm, just like your old SR-7000 it might; but, don't take my word for it check around, maybe check with Marantz. You can find SR-4001 in the refurbished market for about $330.00 with a 1 yr. Marantz Warranty.

Another alternative is an integrated amp, or combo, from Emotiva (www.emotiva.com). Right now they are between model change, and their stock is not the best. But, they just received a batch of refurbished amps they are selling at excellent price...Check them out at www.emotiva.com

THanks for the Tip. I remember when I bought the speakers (6-7 years ago) I called marantz to find out about the SR-7000 and the 4 ohm load. They told me that even though it wasnt rated for 4 ohms it would handle it, and I never had a problem. I think I will have to contact them again.
I received a second response from Denon regarding the 4 ohm capability and they said that only the 3808ci and thats way out of the price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5744 Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

There's always outboard amps.
post #813 of 5744 Old 02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

There's always outboard amps.

Yeah, Trying to avoid that if possible for several reasons. Cost and space the biggest two.
post #814 of 5744 Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 PM

hi guys ,

i am contemplating on buying the psb 6i subwoofer after looking at Nousaine subwoofer details and his following comments initially i was looking at the ep 500 and the def tech super cube 1 but after seeing it placed way above in his ratings , i am tilting towards the psb 6i , also tried to search for some reviews on the net for the
6i but did find enough to convince, hence i am posting to request those who own it can confirm what has been stated by Nousaine

i would like to know if the sub bass is tight or at times can be boomy and let me know it strength and weakness and does it really in your experience go down to 20 hz at 93 db

my usage is for 80% movies and 20% music

my amp if the nad t754

my room is appx 1500 cf

"I measured the SubSeries 6i subwoofer's bass limits with it set to maximum bandwidth and placed in the optimal corner of a 7,500-cubic-foot room. In a smaller room users can expect 2 to 3 Hz deeper extension and as much as 3 dB greater sound-pressure level (SPL).

The SubSeries 6i proved to have superlative dynamic capability, among the best I've seen in recent times. It puts out deep (20 Hz) and uniform output, delivering 108 dB SPL or greater from 32 Hz upward. Although the crossover is specified to cover 50 to 150 Hz, its actual acoustic cutoffs range from 43 to 119 Hz. There is virtually no interaction between the crossover-frequency setting and level, however. When the crossover is bypassed, the 6i's upper-frequency bandwidth extends to 134 Hz."

subwoofer: 20 Hz at 95 dB SPL
109 dB average SPL from 25 to 62 Hz
112 dB maximum SPL at 62 Hz
bandwidth uniformity 97%

thanking you all in advance
post #815 of 5744 Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post

my usage is for 80% movies and 20% music

my amp if the nad t754

my room is appx 1500 cf

The amp won't matter, the 6I has it's own amp. Unless you _really_ like bass the 6i should do more than ok for that room. With subs I don't think timber matching is as important as the rest of the room so I won't ask what the rest of your system is. That's also the reason I think you can maybe get a little bit better bang for the buck than PSBs. I think Paul does a great job with his subs (I own one) but subs are the one area where many manufactures give good value. You also need to understand that 107dB is perceived as 4 times as loud as 95dB so it's sorta important to know if the sub was pumping out the rest of the frequency band reported in your post at the time the 95dB for 20Hz was measured. I suspect it was, mainly because PSB subs tend to emphasize accurate response as opposed to extended bass. Having said all this I haven't had much experience with a 6i ( I've heard it in a show room, it sounded great but that means almost nothing without some form of reference).
post #816 of 5744 Old 02-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

THanks for the Tip. I remember when I bought the speakers (6-7 years ago) I called marantz to find out about the SR-7000 and the 4 ohm load. They told me that even though it wasnt rated for 4 ohms it would handle it, and I never had a problem. I think I will have to contact them again.
I received a second response from Denon regarding the 4 ohm capability and they said that only the 3808ci and thats way out of the price range.

I just received an email repsonse from Marantz regarding 4ohm speakers. They said that ALL Marantz receivers will work with 4 ohm speakers!
post #817 of 5744 Old 02-27-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

Forgot to comment on this; hard to say for sure, but that sub would probably be over kill for your room. However, I'm guessing you could likely match it up fairly well and it would give you some future room for growth (you know, in case you suddenly find the money for a bigger room with something like the Synchrony's).
When you did want to play a movie it would give you some real bass!

Had to drive up to Reno office yesterday and was not at my PC. Thanks for the input on the sub. I am (probably unjustified) leery of purchasing small brand products and will more likely go the PSB route or another larger name sub.

Thanks

Rotel Audiophile on a Radioshack Budget
post #818 of 5744 Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 AM

JeffTay
I have all PSB system and of course love it. However, the sub route I went different. I suggest checking out the Outlaw line, made with a connection to the HSU group. After all, if you don't like it, all it costs you is the shipping to send it back.
post #819 of 5744 Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 AM

Scientest,
Did you ever have any luck getting in touch with Securas in Memphis about some speaker options you were looking at? Just curious.
post #820 of 5744 Old 02-27-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMtiger View Post

Scientest,
Did you ever have any luck getting in touch with Securas in Memphis about some speaker options you were looking at? Just curious.

Haven't done it yet. Still debating my options, but I'm starting to lean towards building my own. I haven't done any DYI speakers for about 20 years and it would be sort of fun to do so once more. May pull them apart and have a look at what I can see [what's the smiley for evil grin?] but I'm pretty sure the tweeter on the Golds is a Vifa and that I could get pretty close in timbre, not quite as sure what I'd do for the rest of the drivers. [?anyone?] Biggest problem is finding the time, if I don't end up finding the time and instead discover I've saved up enough cash in the mean time to make a purchase easy then I'll give them a call...
post #821 of 5744 Old 02-27-2008, 06:01 PM

scientest.PR Audio,anyone.I can't seem to find the actual specs for the PSB Stratus C-6 & the C6i,any help greatly appreciated.Thanks
post #822 of 5744 Old 02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerelect View Post

scientest.PR Audio,anyone.I can't seem to find the actual specs for the PSB Stratus C-6 & the C6i,any help greatly appreciated.Thanks

Do you mean physical specs (height, width) or technical specs (FR, sensitivity)?

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #823 of 5744 Old 02-27-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The C6i is here:

Stratus C6i Center

If you Google specific PSB models with "site:www.psbspeakers.com" as part of the search criteria you'll sometime be able to find the old pages on their site.
post #824 of 5744 Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

The C6i is here:

Stratus C6i Center

If you Google specific PSB models with "site:www.psbspeakers.com" as part of the search criteria you'll sometime be able to find the old pages on their site.

Thanks,Do you think the C-6 would be real close to those spec's in f/r & x-over's.Thanks.
post #825 of 5744 Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,Do you think the C-6 would be real close to those spec's in f/r & x-over's.Thanks.

Close, but not sure how close. You can always e-mail the support contact on the PSB web page and ask.

Just out of interest, why are you asking?
post #826 of 5744 Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 PM

I didn't get any love when I posted a question about cross-overs before, so let me change it a bit...

I have Image T45's (front), a C40 (center), and B15's (surround).

The T45's use 2 x 5&1/4 drivers and a 1" tweeter. the C40 uses 2x 5&1/4 drivers and 1" tweeter.

I'm just curious why the T45's are spec'ed as:

Frequency Range
On Axis @ 0° ±1.5dB 48-20,000 Hz
On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 35-23,000 Hz
Off Axis @ 30° ±1.5dB 48-10,000 Hz
Lf Cutoff -10dB 30 Hz

and the C40 is spec'ed as:

Frequency Range
On Axis @ 0° ±1.5dB 65-20,000 Hz
On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 50-23,000 Hz
Off Axis @ 30° ±1.5dB 65-10,000 Hz
Lf Cutoff -10dB 45 Hz

That would make me want to set my cross-overs for the T45's to around 60Hz and the C40 to around 80Hz... But would that mess with my image (no pun intended) across the front using different cross-overs...

Any idea why if they're using the same # and size of drivers is there such a difference between them? Does the enclosure really make that much of a difference???

Just curious... Enlighten me...

Thanks
post #827 of 5744 Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveE View Post

Does the enclosure really make that much of a difference???

Yup. There may be other differences as well such as port size (which is in turn dependent on enclosure volume) coming into play. It is also possible that there is some intentional low pass filtering in the cross over because of the enclosure; with certain enclosure sizes you may have to make sure you don't get too close to driver resonances...
post #828 of 5744 Old 02-28-2008, 01:46 PM

I am thinking of getting some Alpha intro LRC for a bedroom system. My bedroom is 12x15. Does anyone have experience with these speakers? What sub are you using ? And what frequency do you have it crossed over at?

Thanks

Ryan
post #829 of 5744 Old 02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't get any love when I posted a question about cross-overs before, so let me change it a bit...

The T45's use 2 x 5&1/4 drivers and a 1" tweeter. the C40 uses 2x 5&1/4 drivers and 1" tweeter.

I'm just curious why the T45's are spec'ed as:

Frequency Range
On Axis @ 0° ±1.5dB 48-20,000 Hz
On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 35-23,000 Hz
Off Axis @ 30° ±1.5dB 48-10,000 Hz
Lf Cutoff -10dB 30 Hz

and the C40 is spec'ed as:

Frequency Range
On Axis @ 0° ±1.5dB 65-20,000 Hz
On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 50-23,000 Hz
Off Axis @ 30° ±1.5dB 65-10,000 Hz
Lf Cutoff -10dB 45 Hz

That would make me want to set my cross-overs for the T45's to around 60Hz and the C40 to around 80Hz... But would that mess with my image (no pun intended) across the front using different cross-overs...

Any idea why if they're using the same # and size of drivers is there such a difference between them? Does the enclosure really make that much of a difference???

Just curious... Enlighten me...

Thanks

Good question, out of my scope of knowledge, but here is my thought:

When you are watching a movie or TV in a 3.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 system you will notice that most of the work is being done by the center, and the fronts serve as backup. So, having the fronts and center set at different set points will not affect sound coming from the speakers. For music most of the time you will be playing in stereo (front LR only), so the center plays no role.

I might be mistaken, but that's my view.
post #830 of 5744 Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

This is the same setup I have, except I haven't bought the C40 (yet) and I have no sub.

Quote:

I have always been surprised at this as well. This is a common occurrence from many manufacturers. If you look, the T45s are quite a bit deeper (as well as taller) which I'm sure contributes. As far as the crossover goes, it shouldn't matter that much as bass below about 80 Hz isn't very directional, so whether your mains or your sub is producing it isn't too much different.

What I do (or did when I had a sub) is to set everything to small and cross all the speakers over at the same lowest common denominator (or highest actually) point. I always use my 2 channel stereo direct mode on my receiver when I'm listening to music anyway. Again, YMMV as that's what worked best for me with my JBL (towers and center) /Polk (rears and sub) combo I had before.

Ultimately, if you don't already have these, I suggest getting an AVIA test disk and an SPL meter and trust some combination of the meter (smooth low frequency sweep) and your ears.

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #831 of 5744 Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkowski1 View Post

Ultimately, if you don't already have these, I suggest getting an AVIA test disk and an SPL meter and trust some combination of the meter (smooth low frequency sweep) and your ears.

I have a frequency test CD (goes from 10Hz - 300Hz in 1Hz steps) and a Radio Shack meter. Haven't ran the test yet - I was waiting (and waiting, and waiting, and waiting) for my new eD sub to come in. But I didn't think about running it for the mains & center (with no sub) - that's a good idea...

I assume I should run the test like this - on my receiver, tell it I do not have a sub, set the fronts & center to "full". Then run the test frequencies one speaker at a time to see how low they can go without a dip in db's...

Would Audyssey mess with the #'s if I've already ran it? Is there a way to bypass Audyssey for testing purposes? I have an Onkyo 705 and I think I can put it in "direct" mode or something to bypass Audyssey. I'll have to check on that.

Thanks for the advice...
post #832 of 5744 Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I assume I should run the test like this - on my receiver, tell it I do not have a sub, set the fronts & center to "full". Then run the test frequencies one speaker at a time to see how low they can go without a dip in db's...

Yeah, you can figure out what the responses of your speakers are in your room. Sometimes if you have a good sub and it's placed well, you are better off crossing over higher than the lowest point of your other speakers, it depends greatly on your speakers, setup, and placement. Once you get the sub, you can just experiment with the crossover and then let the meter and your ears tell you what sounds best.

Quote:

Would Audyssey mess with the #'s if I've already ran it? Is there a way to bypass Audyssey for testing purposes? I have an Onkyo 705 and I think I can put it in "direct" mode or something to bypass Audyssey. I'll have to check on that.

I would think it would affect it. My receiver is older and doesn't have such fanciness

Quote:

Thanks for the advice...

No problem

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #833 of 5744 Old 02-29-2008, 12:56 PM

Any input on this sub would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

post #834 of 5744 Old 02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTay View Post

Any input on this sub would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

I heard it - even compared it to the PSB Sub 6i. The price was ~$600 if I remember correctly. I thought the 6i was tighter, but the AT could go deeper. I decided to save $100 and get the 6i, but the AT was a nice sub. Call the place I pm'd you - they may still have it in stock and you could get a decent price if they are willing to sell the showroom model.

post #835 of 5744 Old 02-29-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

I heard it - even compared it to the PSB Sub 6i. The price was ~$600 if I remember correctly. I thought the 6i was tighter, but the AT could go deeper. I decided to save $100 and get the 6i, but the AT was a nice sub. Call the place I pm'd you - they may still have it in stock and you could get a decent price if they are willing to sell the showroom model.

thanks,

He is letting it go for $450.00. Open Box.

Tough to beat that when I can get it locally.

But again thanks for the input.

Jeff

post #836 of 5744 Old 03-01-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTay View Post

thanks,

He is letting it go for $450.00. Open Box.

Tough to beat that when I can get it locally.

But again thanks for the input.

Jeff

At that price I'd get it before he sells it.

post #837 of 5744 Old 03-01-2008, 12:29 PM

At what model line do you notice a significant improvement over the Image line? I have T45 fronts, C40 center and 4x B15 surrounds powered by Onkyo 805 in a 3000 cf room.
post #838 of 5744 Old 03-01-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseo503 View Post

At what model line do you notice a significant improvement over the Image line? I have T45 fronts, C40 center and 4x B15 surrounds powered by Onkyo 805 in a 3000 cf room.

GDesign and up...IMO there is a big gap between Image and G-Design, which is the next model. I'm sure there is space for a model in between.
post #839 of 5744 Old 03-01-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Imagine line will be coming out later this year which is a less expensive version of Synchrony. That should be a notable step up. G-Design is a step up, but if Imagine is anything like Synchrony, it would be worth looking into when it comes out.

John
post #840 of 5744 Old 03-01-2008, 03:54 PM

I can get a pair of G-Design GB1 monitors for a very good price from a local dealer. My first question is whether my non-audiophile ears will hear that they are clearly better sounding for music as compared to my v5 Paradigm mini monitors?

My second question is whether my Yamaha 1800 receiver, rated at 130 watts, with 2 speakers running, will struggle with the 6 ohm, 87 db sensitivity GB1s, particularly at a fairly loud volume level?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page