post #61 of 5637 Old 06-14-2006, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by subversive View Post

I spoke to a PSB rep today and he said the new Stratus line won't be out till this time next year, at the earliest.

I had heard more optimistic implications from higher up in PSB, but I've seen huge delays in speaker productions in other companies, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it drift into next year.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5637 Old 06-15-2006, 07:48 AM

All you AVSers that have "higher-up" connections at PSB , can you get them to swing me a deal or something on replacement amps for 7pt's?

PM me if you have any info.

Thanks

TREVOR

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #63 of 5637 Old 06-15-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

~FoeHammer865~

I checked with a guy i know from PSB and unfortunately he has none sitting around. he told me the same thing as customer service did. "best bet is to bring them in for servicing"

sorry but i think your going to have to bite the bullet. Ill keep my eyes open though.
post #64 of 5637 Old 06-16-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer865 View Post

I've listened to the T55's vs T65's. IMO for most listening the T55's are almost equal to the T65's. Personally I wanted more so I went with the 7pts (T65's with powered amps), but they are no longer available.

For the price, and if space is an at all an issue for you, the T55's are the way to go.

the T65's are better, if you have the money and space. But for the price, If I did it all over again, I would probably go T55's, plenty of low end. The money you save can be set aside for your future sub Which I would definately recomend

Trevor

p.s. If you have a 32" CRT monitor or similar it's going to run you 20-26" deep anyways.

I agree....when I was shopping for my images....upgrade from a complete alpha system... I really liked the T65's, and to be honest they are pretty mean looking. Since I already had a sub, I went with the T45's because I really like PSB's 5.25 speakers. I just think vocals are a lot more defined and get a little muddy with the 6.5's.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of the Image towers.

Mitsu WD60735
NAD T753
Samsung BDP2550
KEF Reference Series Four's
KEF Reference Series 200C
KEF Reference RDM Two's
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
post #65 of 5637 Old 06-24-2006, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today I joined the PSB owners club. Picked up a pair of the Image T45 and an Image C8 Center. The store was closing so I got an incredible deal, 435 for the T45's and 179 for the C8. I'm LOVING the sound. Now I just need to get some surrounds. Since I pretty much blew my budget away, is it possible to go with alphas in the rear or should i stick to the image line?

XBL GT: Hacknerd
post #66 of 5637 Old 06-24-2006, 09:31 PM

What are you guys using to power your PSB Images series set-ups? I have an Integra 6.5 receiver powering my 5T, 9C, 10S setup (with an Earthquake sub on the way.)

I love the PSB Image series so much I am thinking about really powering them with some high end electronics and amplification. What do you guys think?
post #67 of 5637 Old 06-24-2006, 10:12 PM

mwz26 - welcome to the club, you will truley love your t45's and center. As far as the rears go, I would wait and save money for some Image B's, ideally B15's to match your towers. Anything for surrounds will work use something cheap to get you by, but sonically your best sticking with Images. They will blend in much better and not sound like a seperate entity. I suggest you pop in Dark Side of the Moon, preferably in SACD, sit back, close your eyes and enjoy.

Has far as powering my Images I am currently using my NAD reciever and its more than enough. I wish I would of went with the NAD T163 preamp and ran NAD's 7 channel amp, biamping the towers. I am looking at getting 4 Integra 2 channel amps from a buddy of mine, 1 per tower - biamped, half of one for center, and the fourth for rears. Your towers, or fronts, are really the only speakers that should need more power than a reciever can give them, and thats only for music play back. Movies and such you shouldnt really need anything more powerful. From what I have experienced, NAD power is the way to go with PSBs, maybe because they are both from Canada, I dont know, but its the best combination I have tried, I had an Integra reciever, Onkyo, and the NAD was leaps and bounds above in sound quality.

Mitsu WD60735
NAD T753
Samsung BDP2550
KEF Reference RDM Two's
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
post #68 of 5637 Old 06-25-2006, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_New_Guy View Post

What are you guys using to power your PSB Images series set-ups? I have an Integra 6.5 receiver powering my 5T, 9C, 10S setup (with an Earthquake sub on the way.)

I love the PSB Image series so much I am thinking about really powering them with some high end electronics and amplification. What do you guys think?

I'm using an Onkyo 603. I'm sure there's a much better way to go but I love the sound I'm getting. This is my first "real" HT setup after owning HTIB's. Last night the wife and I just kept popping in movies to watch scene after scene and couldn't stop smiling at how good it sounded.

post #69 of 5637 Old 06-25-2006, 07:59 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

I have Sliveri Stratus towers & c6i >>to a Denon3803. w/ a 5.1 system. They sound wounderful. I demo a QSC pro-amp to just the fronts. They took off...sound 1000% better.
db
post #70 of 5637 Old 06-25-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwz26 View Post

I'm using an Onkyo 603. I'm sure there's a much better way to go but I love the sound I'm getting. This is my first "real" HT setup after owning HTIB's. Last night the wife and I just kept popping in movies to watch scene after scene and couldn't stop smiling at how good it sounded.

Do you think and external amp will give me a better sound for HT with these spoeakers?
post #71 of 5637 Old 06-26-2006, 01:10 AM

PSB Image T55/C60/B25/S50 here. Oops forgot the subs... 2x Sub5i
Pioneer 52TX driving them.

Mmmmmmm PSB....
post #72 of 5637 Old 06-26-2006, 05:44 AM

Usually seperate amps will sound better than a receiver. That said, I am powering my Image system with a Denon 3805. Very please with the power the Denon is putting out.

FYI, NAD and PSB are owned by the same parent company. You will hear many a salesman tell you that they are "designed" to work best together.

NAD is an excellent source of amplification for any speaker system.

TREVOR

post #73 of 5637 Old 06-26-2006, 08:54 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

I want to clarify my early statment. My sound quality of my silveri is wounderful with the the power that the Denon 3803 provides. The PSB's work fine with this much power. but they " really like to come alive" with a little more power..
db

I have Sliveri Stratus towers & c6i >>to a Denon3803. w/ a 5.1 system. They sound wounderful. I demo a QSC pro-amp to just the fronts. They took off...sound 1000% better.
db
post #74 of 5637 Old 06-26-2006, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwz26 View Post

Today I joined the PSB owners club. Picked up a pair of the Image T45 and an Image C8 Center. The store was closing so I got an incredible deal, 435 for the T45's and 179 for the C8. I'm LOVING the sound. Now I just need to get some surrounds. Since I pretty much blew my budget away, is it possible to go with alphas in the rear or should i stick to the image line?

It is totally possible. I run an Image tower and center System, with Alpha surrounds. It is not as important to timber match your rears with the rest of the system.
post #75 of 5637 Old 06-27-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebook23 View Post

It is totally possible. I run an Image tower and center System, with Alpha surrounds. It is not as important to timber match your rears with the rest of the system.

Although it's totally possible, you will notice a huge difference when they are timber matched when listening to SACD or DVD-A. For movies its not necessary at all, the new alpha's do look like they have inherited some tech from the Images, but I would still save your money for Images.

Mitsu WD60735
NAD T753
Samsung BDP2550
KEF Reference RDM Two's
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
post #76 of 5637 Old 06-28-2006, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

You will only end up spending at the most $150 more for a pair of PSB Speakers - Image B15 Monitors then you would for a pair of Alpha LR1 Monitors. I agree with Hammer28 wait a few weeks and save up the extra money. My second system in my HT is all image and sounds a great deal better when i am playing DVD-Audio. or any type of surround music. I hear a difference bettween the Alpha LR1 in movies but it is not worth it for me to change my livingroom system. It's just not that big a deal for my everyday TV and Movie watching.
post #77 of 5637 Old 06-28-2006, 01:13 PM

I recently moved and have to reconfigure my theater. I'm using the 8C as a rear center. Does anyone know of a good ceiling mount to use?

thanks
post #78 of 5637 Old 06-28-2006, 01:56 PM

Do you mean that your couch/seat is going to be up against the back wall and you're going to have it pointing down? Or just don't have a rear wall back there due to a pool table or other room?

post #79 of 5637 Old 06-29-2006, 11:45 PM

What's up fellas. I'm looking to acquire some PSB Image T65's in the near future(possibly this xmas). For my setup, I was going in the general direction of having some powerful front floorstanding speakers with two relatively cheap surrounds(150 - 250 range) assuming it can be done with no problems. I'll be using the set up for mostly movies. I am also a bit of a newbie when it comes to HT's. However my main (newb) first question is a rather simple one:

On the specification page for the T65's at PSB's site it says under input power, "Program: 150 Watts". What exactly does that mean?

Second question. Based on what i've read I think I want to stick with digital recievers exclusively. I was thinking of getting the Panny Digital SA-XR57S. I'm not looking to spend bucket loads on a reciever, and 300 bucks coupled with the positive responses sounds like a winner to me. Do you think the Panny + the T65's would make a good pair?
post #80 of 5637 Old 06-30-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Do you think the Panny + the T65's would make a good pair?

I ended up with some T55's and a Panny XR55 earlier this year and am very happy with the combo. I went with the Panny from reading reviews here and due to it's low cost. I'm a bit of a newbie myself, but we love the PSB's for both music and movies. For surrounds I went with B-15's and a C60 in the center. The only semi-annoying thing about the Panny is when it clicks on and off when switching audio sources. The Panny seems to deliver plenty of power to fill our large >3000 cubic foot space.

We ended up with PSB's after auditioning them against Paradigm's, B&W's and SVS's. I would definitely recommend trying out the PSB's versus some other brands just to make sure you like their sound. It was a close call with the B&W's, but the PSB's price made it an easy choice.

Good luck.

-Lee
post #81 of 5637 Old 06-30-2006, 12:18 PM

Current (older) setup in living room:

Mains: Image 2B
Center: Image 8C
Surround: Image 1B
Sub: JBL PB10
Receiver: 5-year old Yamaha R-series (can't remember which one off the top of my head)

I purchased this set after directly auditioning them to a similar-priced B&W series and Phase Tech., and also listened to similar-priced sets from Paradigm, Klipsch, and another set I can't remember at a second location.

Of the 6, the PSBs sounded the best to me. What stood out for me were the crisp, clear highs. I had the easiest time listening to dialogue from movies. Also, I had little to no distortion when we turned up the volume on music.

The Paradigms were the next best and I would have gotten those had I not heard the PSBs. Great sound quality, just not as crisp and refreshing on the highs.

B&Ws were ok on quality but they were very understated on the highs - almost muffled. I actually had to strain to hear the dialogue clearly.

The Phase Technologies were 'meh'. Neither here nor there. Not bad, but nothing great either. They were capable, but didn't stand out.

The Klipschs seemed to push it in the 'high' department like the PSBs, but they had detectable distortion in the highs when you turned up the volume (I guess that would make them 'bright'?). Worst, quality-wise of the 6 I heard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, my setup has served me pretty well in my living room setup. The 2Bs can get pretty loud(!) with no distortion. I would probably do better with actual surround speakers for my surrounds, rather than the 1Bs though. But I couldn't afford the surrounds anyway at the time, so I'm not disappointed.

I'm in the process of finishing putting together a dedicated HT room in my basement. I liked the PSBs so much that I didn't bother to shop around for a new brand. I just went with bigger speakers in the same Image line (which matched my new budget) - T55, C60, S50 for surround and rears, and an SVS sub.
post #82 of 5637 Old 07-02-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarlow View Post

I ended up with some T55's and a Panny XR55 earlier this year and am very happy with the combo. I went with the Panny from reading reviews here and due to it's low cost. I'm a bit of a newbie myself, but we love the PSB's for both music and movies. For surrounds I went with B-15's and a C60 in the center. The only semi-annoying thing about the Panny is when it clicks on and off when switching audio sources. The Panny seems to deliver plenty of power to fill our large >3000 cubic foot space.

We ended up with PSB's after auditioning them against Paradigm's, B&W's and SVS's. I would definitely recommend trying out the PSB's versus some other brands just to make sure you like their sound. It was a close call with the B&W's, but the PSB's price made it an easy choice.

Good luck.

-Lee

Appreciate the reply, thanks!
post #83 of 5637 Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

soundstage just posted an article on paul barton and a review on the T45 loudspeaker

T45 Review
Paul Interview

PSB Speakers Home Page
PSB Speakers Image T45 loudspeakers
post #84 of 5637 Old 07-06-2006, 07:55 PM

got a great review. i love my T45's.

post #85 of 5637 Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 PM

Have a couple questions....I wanted to Demo a set of PSB's in the same Category as the P'digm 100's I have read and believe that the Stratus Line is what I need to listen to, but the dealer in my area dosent have any and has said that PSB has stopped making them due to the fact that they are going to be updating them. He also said that he was told a Fall of this year release, but is going to call on Monday to confirm.

However, I read the post by Alimentall about the release bing next year.....So any adivse? Since I wouldnt want to get a Line that is being updated now.

We have to listen to PSB and Monitor Audio's before we make our final choice.

AM

FW 2004
HW 1001
Our Engineers are working on a Fix! ;)
post #86 of 5637 Old 07-08-2006, 08:51 PM

Is there another dealer that may have them in stock? I dont see a problem with buying a model that is being updated other than your guy doesnt have them and cant get them.

post #87 of 5637 Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

although the PSB Speakers - Stratus line of speakers are a fantastic speaker (i was at a friends house to watch a movie last night and he has silver i's and they sound way nicer then my image system) they are almost 5 years old. I hear rumors that the new stratus will be out around December of this year.

do what you will with that info.

I think since the stratus line is being updated, if you can find a dealer with them, then i am sure you will be able to get them for far less then the MSRP. But if you wait till the new ones come out you will pay full MSRP.

I would try to get a good deal on soom platinum stuff. nice sound, and i am hearing that they are going for cheaper then their MSRP in most places.
post #88 of 5637 Old 07-10-2006, 02:37 PM

...mmmmmm...plaaatttiinuuummms.......

post #89 of 5637 Old 07-10-2006, 08:44 PM

Has anyone upgraded from the subseries5i to the 6i? A friend offering to sell his old sub and I am thinking about switching out but haven't had a chance to listen to it.
post #90 of 5637 Old 07-11-2006, 07:29 AM

I've never owned the 5i or auditioned it in my home, but I love the performance of my 6i. Then again, I guess I am self-justifying my purchase too.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page