post #901 of 5643 Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xericmx View Post

Thanks for the help. I am leaning towards the T55's because they are similar drivers in that of the B25...well the same really.

I own T45/C40/B25/LR1, my family room is 14' x 17' with 12' ceiling. When I auditioned the T45 and T55, found that the sound was almost equal with the T45 being more detailed and nicer sounding that the T55. I found the T55 somewhat "muddied" compared to the T45. Also the HZ difference in the lower frequency is only 3 HZ, to me it wasn't worth spending the extra cash on the T55. My receiver is a Marantz SR-5001. The T45's more than fill the room with clear sound, so does the C40. The B25's sounded so good that never saw the daylight as rears, they ended up as main speakers for a music only system in my living room. The LR1's were purchased for rear duty, replacing the B25's. I don't hear surround music, so the LR1 do a great job for movies at only $139.00/pair.

I bought my system from Saturday Audio, excellent people to work with.

My recommendation is to go with the T45, and with the money saved consider a good sub, or buying the center (if using the speakers for HT). For sub I got an HSU VTF2-MKIII, but for music sometimes I don't use it as the T45 provides good bass for some type of music, like jazz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 5643 Old 03-21-2008, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't know. I'm actually leaning towards the T65's now. Sold the last of my Polks today so I have the money to get what I want(T45/55/65). I won't have any money left over but I can wait and slowly add C60 and the S50's over time. I would really like to compare the 6i with the SVS 25-31 that I have. I just have the feeling that the 6i will kill it. I was actaully thinking of selling the SVS sub too but I really like the small footprint. Everyone that walks into my house says, "what the hell is that"...."that's the sub" I reply.

Took a listen at my step fathers B25's yesterday....wow. I can't believe how much base they put out. I had to check to see if the subzero was on....it was off. I can only imagine what the T65's will sound like. I know if I got the 45's or the 55's I will be left thinking...what if I got the 65's? That's the worst feeling and I want to aviod it. I know that after this upgrade I will be done for a long time so I need to make the right choice. My head is telling me to go all out for the 65's. Thanks for all the input guys.
post #903 of 5643 Old 03-21-2008, 02:59 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I don't know. I'm actually leaning towards the T65's now. Sold the last of my Polks today so I have the money to get what I want(T45/55/65). I won't have any money left over but I can wait and slowly add C60 and the S50's over time. I would really like to compare the 6i with the SVS 25-31 that I have. I just have the feeling that the 6i will kill it. I was actaully thinking of selling the SVS sub too but I really like the small footprint. Everyone that walks into my house says, "what the hell is that"...."that's the sub" I reply.

Took a listen at my step fathers B25's yesterday....wow. I can't believe how much base they put out. I had to check to see if the subzero was on....it was off. I can only imagine what the T65's will sound like. I know if I got the 45's or the 55's I will be left thinking...what if I got the 65's? That's the worst feeling and I want to aviod it. I know that after this upgrade I will be done for a long time so I need to make the right choice. My head is telling me to go all out for the 65's. Thanks for all the input guys.

I noticed a significant improvement in the amount of bass that the B25's put out vs the 2B's. I wasn't interested in 7.1 last year when I picked up my system (a used package complete with T65's, C60, S50's and B25's), so I sold the B25's. Now I upgraded to 7.1 so I have picked up a pair of B15's and they do not produce any bass in comparison to the B25's. I'm only using the B15's for the rear though, and I don't yet see the point in using B25's. The B15's I have match the S50's I'm using for the sides. My T65's and C60 do the bass fine, as does my subwoofer.
post #904 of 5643 Old 03-21-2008, 05:31 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard any of the newer PSB speakers- not many dealers in this area-. So has any one with these newer B or T series also listened to the Silveri Stratus and what would be the SQ differences here?
post #905 of 5643 Old 03-21-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

I haven't heard any of the newer PSB speakers- not many dealers in this area-. So has any one with these newer B or T series also listened to the Silveri Stratus and what would be the SQ differences here?

I've never heard them in the same room. I own a set of Stratus Golds. I auditioned the original Silvers and went back and auditioned the "i" upgrades for both the Golds and the Silvers when they came out. I am somewhat familiar with most of the Image line and some of the Alpha line (though more with the older versions).

I'm guessing you already have a Stratus Silver i and are wondering if you should change out your speakers? The Silver i is a _very_ good speaker. It's different than the Image line, personally I prefer the Stratus line over the Images and I like the Images. It's more like the G series, I might even prefer it over the G series, though I'd have to listen to them again to say for sure. You can still find the specs for it on the PSB web site: PSB Stratus Silveri

Is there anything particular you are wondering?
post #906 of 5643 Old 03-22-2008, 11:48 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Hello everyone. I'm looking to purchase some new speakers and since I've heard the B25's, I'm going with PSB's Image line. I'm looking to get either the T45/55/65 from Saturday Audio or DMC. The only thing is that I am really torn between the 3. I have no way of auditioning them first. I know that evenyually I will get a center, C40/60, and surrounds. Currently, I have a SVS 25-31 and a Marantz SR4001 to power everything. Is the jump from the T45 to 55 or even 65 worth the extra money? Should I go with the T45 and then with the $ left over get the C40? I don't want to even get the urge to upgrade for many years after this next purchase. Anyone have more experience with these? I remember hearing the B15 and the B25's side by side and it was no contest that the B25's sounded better to me....would I get that same effect if I compared the T45 with the T55? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I was in the same position. I agree that the B25/B15 difference is night and day. However, for the towers, it's completely different. The dealer closest to me doesn't even sell the T55s as there just isn't enough difference. I have the T45s and B15s. The T45s are amazing. The cabinets are deeper and with the dual drivers, they are very full. Especially considering you have a nice sub, I wouldn't hesitate to get the T45s. That said, if you can afford the T65s or if you are a bass head and/or don't like your sub, then the T65s are really amazing speakers. The cabinets on the T65s are very deep so make sure you have room for them before you buy.

As a side note, the B15s are very adequate for surrounds (although if they were mains, I'd have the B25s no question).

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #907 of 5643 Old 03-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone other than PR Audio heard the T45's against the T55's? I'm just wondering because I've been all over this thread and the web looking for a comparison and can't find anything. PR Audio thought the T55s were a bit muddier but no reviewer or other post has mentioned it (indeed, most say really tight bass). And it's got the same tweeter, so I'd think the highs are the same.

(By the way, I don't mean to say anything bad about PR Audio. I'm really thankful for his views. It's just that he's one guy and I'd like to see if there's any other opinions by people who have heard them).

Thanks
post #908 of 5643 Old 03-23-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkowski1 View Post

I was in the same position. I agree that the B25/B15 difference is night and day. However, for the towers, it's completely different. The dealer closest to me doesn't even sell the T55s as there just isn't enough difference.

Just curious, was the dealer Audio/Video dimensions. There
arent many PSB dealers in Michigan at all. I am just stuck
with one.

I listened to T45 and T65 at that place and I noticed that the
highs in the T45 werent as sharp and clear as the T65.

T45 also sounded boomy and "muddied" which is expected.
I will be hooking up a sub so the highs of T45 are more
important for me. But I was disappointed when compared
to the highs of T65.

T65 were great but are just too heavy for me to handle.

I guess I need to borrow the T45 and take a listen at my place.
post #909 of 5643 Old 03-23-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrelx View Post

Has anyone other than PR Audio heard the T45's against the T55's? I'm just wondering because I've been all over this thread and the web looking for a comparison and can't find anything. PR Audio thought the T55s were a bit muddier but no reviewer or other post has mentioned it (indeed, most say really tight bass). And it's got the same tweeter, so I'd think the highs are the same.

(By the way, I don't mean to say anything bad about PR Audio. I'm really thankful for his views. It's just that he's one guy and I'd like to see if there's any other opinions by people who have heard them).

Thanks

I haven't personally compared the two, but a PSB dealer told me he actually prefers the T45's to the T55's.
post #910 of 5643 Old 03-23-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

with one.

There's one in Royal Oak, and one in Flint: (The Stereo Guy
G-4371 Torrey Rd.). There's also GREAT options in Windsor, if you have a passport and want to cross the river. I've shopped for PSB at Stereoland there a few times, but it was a few years back. I also have the T45s with a great sub and they sound fantastic! A PSB dealer preferred them over the T55s.
post #911 of 5643 Old 03-23-2008, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchMan1 View Post

I haven't personally compared the two, but a PSB dealer told me he actually prefers the T45's to the T55's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pick View Post

I also have the T45s with a great sub and they sound fantastic! A PSB dealer preferred them over the T55s.

CouchMan, Joe Pick, thanks both for the info. Did your salesmen say why they preferred them?

Thanks.
post #912 of 5643 Old 03-23-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrelx View Post

CouchMan, Joe Pick, thanks both for the info. Did your salesmen say why they preferred them?

Thanks.

They sounded very similar, and the fact that I have a great sub (SVS), didn't need the T55.
post #913 of 5643 Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

with one.

Audio Video Alternatives in Royal Oak is where I listened.

Quote:

I listened to T45 and T65 at that place and I noticed that the highs in the T45 werent as sharp and clear as the T65.

Wow, that wasn't my impression at all. I bought the T45s I was so impressed.

Quote:

T45 also sounded boomy and "muddied" which is expected. I will be hooking up a sub so the highs of T45 are more
important for me. But I was disappointed when compared
to the highs of T65.

T65 were great but are just too heavy for me to handle.

I guess I need to borrow the T45 and take a listen at my place.

Yeah, I would definitely recommend that. They sound fantastic here.

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #914 of 5643 Old 03-24-2008, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've always believed speakers were more important than amplifiers. That said, I've always liked the sound of NAD amps and prefer them over most other brands - which brings me to my dilemma. One of my friends asked me three questions, the third of which I'm having a hard time answering.

Q1) If it was your money, would you buy an NAD or Sherwood?
Answer: Easy, an NAD, considering I have a T775 that I just bought.

Q2) Would you buy the better speakers in the same line?
Answer: Of course

Q3) If you only had $4,000 to spend on a 5.1 system which option would you choose?

Option 1)
Sherwood R-972
PSB T65
PSB C60
PSB S50
PSB Sub8

Option 2)
NAD T775
PSB T45
PSB C40
PSB B25
PSB Sub8

I'm certain you can see my dilemma - is the slight upgrade in the speakers worth the savings of getting the Sherwood? Unfortunately these two identical systems are not available for listening tests. The other problem is the Sherwood is available as a "pre-order", and according to the dealer the price will go higher once it is released.
---------------------------
Also posted same question on Sherwood Board / NAD Board

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #915 of 5643 Old 03-24-2008, 08:01 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Is there anything particular you are wondering?[/

Yes, i have the Silveri's and the C6i also,
No i just read the forum here and was just woundering if the newer lines were "that much" of an improvement in SQ..
Though i would need to do more room treatment before changing speakers, if i really wanted to hear an improved listening experience.
Tx,
db

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

I've never heard them in the same room. I own a set of Stratus Golds. I auditioned the original Silvers and went back and auditioned the "i" upgrades for both the Golds and the Silvers when they came out. I am somewhat familiar with most of the Image line and some of the Alpha line (though more with the older versions).

I'm guessing you already have a Stratus Silver i and are wondering if you should change out your speakers? The Silver i is a _very_ good speaker. It's different than the Image line, personally I prefer the Stratus line over the Images and I like the Images. It's more like the G series, I might even prefer it over the G series, though I'd have to listen to them again to say for sure. You can still find the specs for it on the PSB web site: PSB Stratus Silveri

Is there anything particular you are wondering?

post #916 of 5643 Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

That said, I've always liked the sound of NAD amps and prefer them over most other brands - which brings me to my dilemma.

That's easy, always start with the speakers and optimize them to your environment.

Modern receivers should not have any "sound". If the NAD actually had any different "sound" from any other receiver you should be staying very far away from it (IMO it doesn't). These days for most modern receivers at a given price point there are only three things I'd worry about:

1) does the amp have the features I need (HDMI I/O, decoding, GUI, updatability, etc.)

2) does the amp have a reputation as being reliable.

3) does the receiver have the ability to safely drive the speakers I've chosen to the volumes I want with lots of head room;

For the $1400+ price point I think the last point is not anything you'll need to worry about, so it's points 1 & 2 that I'd be looking at as far as the receiver goes. The NAD certainly hits #2 and the Sherwood certainly hits #1, don't know about the other way around.

Having said all that the PSB T65, PSB C60, PSB S50 combo is killer, but not knowing anything about your friends room it may be over kill?
post #917 of 5643 Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

Yes, i have the Silveri's and the C6i also,
No i just read the forum here and was just woundering if the newer lines were "that much" of an improvement in SQ.

IMO, the only upgrade worth considering would be the Syncrhony's. That might change late this summer when the Imagine line comes out. The Images use more modern design philosophies (metal drivers vs. soft drivers) and in theory should be more accurate that the Stratus i's but the Stratus line has a wonderful full sound to it that I personally love. Unless you really think you're missing something I wouldn't worry about it. If you do think you're missing something I'd do like you suggest; worry about the room before looking to replace the speakers.
post #918 of 5643 Old 03-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So I just found out that one of my local dealers sells PSBs. I was about to order a set of Paradigm Signatures, but read a review in Stereophile today that ranked the PSBs very highly. In fact it mentioned that these speakers should be auditioned even if you are planning on spending far more than they cost.

The system I would be looking at consists of: a pair of Synchrony Ones; a Synchrony One C, and 4 Synchrony S Surrounds.

Has anyone heard this combo, and if so what were your thoughts?

Do those of you who have auditioned the Synchronys agree with the recent reviews that these are speakers well worth the money, and can hold their own with speakers that cost far more?

I would be using them for HT primarily, along with a Velodyne DD-18 sub.
Driving them with the new Denon Pre-pro/Amp combo btw.

Don't care too much for 'brightness', but would like accuracy.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Bish
post #919 of 5643 Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post

The system I would be looking at consists of: a pair of Synchrony Ones; a Synchrony One C, and 4 Synchrony S Surrounds.

I haven't heard that exact combo, but I have heard the Synchrony's and yes they are amazing. I like them much more than B&W's that cost significantly more. The only speakers I ever heard (and I'm going by memory so who knows how I'd fare in an A/B test) that were better than the Synchrony's were the Tannoy Dimensions. But the Dimensions are in a whole other price class.

post #920 of 5643 Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do those of you who have auditioned the Synchronys agree with the recent reviews that these are speakers well worth the money, and can hold their own with speakers that cost far more?

I've heard the Ones by themselves (no C, no S) briefly in a show room last time I was in Toronto (over a year ago). I've also heard the Twos with the 2C and the S's in a 5.1 setup. I thought they were extremely impressive, I can't recall all the others that we put them up against in that brief audition but some of them were in fact twice the price and did not sound any better.

Quote:

With good room treatments that should be absolutely astonishing. From what I've read they are not completely accurate but that is by design. Paul apparently has found that speakers that measure completely flat don't sound as good as the response he builds into the Synchronys. I posted one measured response curve earlier in this thread. Got me; they are pretty brutally revealing, a bad recording will sound bad, but if I had just one set of speakers that I could drop into a good room the setup you just described would be exactly it.
post #921 of 5643 Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've always believed speakers were more important than amplifiers. That said, I've always liked the sound of NAD amps and prefer them over most other brands - which brings me to my dilemma. One of my friends asked me three questions, the third of which I'm having a hard time answering.

Q1) If it was your money, would you buy an NAD or Sherwood?
Answer: Easy, an NAD, considering I have a T775 that I just bought.

Q2) Would you buy the better speakers in the same line?
Answer: Of course

Q3) If you only had $4,000 to spend on a 5.1 system which option would you choose?

Option 1)
Sherwood R-972
PSB T65
PSB C60
PSB S50
PSB Sub8

Option 2)
NAD T775
PSB T45
PSB C40
PSB B25
PSB Sub8

I'm certain you can see my dilemma - is the slight upgrade in the speakers worth the savings of getting the Sherwood? Unfortunately these two identical systems are not available for listening tests. The other problem is the Sherwood is available as a "pre-order", and according to the dealer the price will go higher once it is released.
---------------------------
Also posted same question on Sherwood Board / NAD Board

I can see your dilemma, my music only system is a NAD C315BEE integrated amp, PSB B25's, and Marantz DV-6600 Player. The C315 even though 35WPC will outperform many 80WPC amps out there. Sound is clean, clear, neutral; very accurate for $275.00 (Sat Audio). I put this system together for only $824.00; everything brand new. I would recommend NAD and PSB to anyone.

If your room is no more than 270 Sq. Ft. (considering a ceiling height of not more than 12'), I would say go for the NAD with T45's, but if larger, sacrifice the receiver and go with Sherwood/T65 combo.

Quote:

So I just found out that one of my local dealers sells PSBs. I was about to order a set of Paradigm Signatures, but read a review in Stereophile today that ranked the PSBs very highly. In fact it mentioned that these speakers should be auditioned even if you are planning on spending far more than they cost.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Bish

I auditioned Synchrony's once, and they are amazing, most definitely hold their own with speakers that cost much more. Stereophile just gave Synchrony a "Class A Recommended Speakers". Stereophile says that the $4500.00/pr Synchrony One holds its own against $20K/pair offerings from KEF and Sonus Faber; that is a bold statement. They also advise that your pairing of amps and related equipment is very important.

Check: http://www.psbspeakers.com/reviews/S...ony-One-Review

I would forget the Paradigm, and seriously think about PSB.
post #922 of 5643 Old 03-30-2008, 11:38 AM

Hi Guys,
I have just finished my home theater and looking for some advice on potentially changing my surround speakers to Image S50's and also some guidance on their placement.

Briefly, my theater is 11' x 15'. Equipment as follows:

Panasonic PT-AX100u Projector (1280 x 720p native)
120" Diagonal Fixed Frame screen
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver (3 HDMI In, 7.1 capable)
Oppo 981HD Upconverting DVD (will be replaced by Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-Ray when available)
5.1 Speaker Setup as follows
Fronts PSB Image 4T
Center PSB Image 8C
Surrounds - PSB Image 1B
Sub - Subsonic 6

I've had these speakers about 6 or 7 years and I'm very happy with them.

It's a somewhat tight space, I only have about 2' behind the couch and about 3' in from the side to the sweet spot (right seat of the left-hand loveseat). So I have my surrounds 1B's in the rear corners about 2' above ear level. The result sounds very good but I'm wondering if I would see significant improvement in the rear sound stage if I switched the 1B's for Image S50 bipoles and mounted the S50's on the side walls 2' above ear level and as far forward as possible (that will only be about 22" from the rear wall because of a large opening on the left wall of my theater).

The attached sketch shows my current layout and the RED X's toward the rear of the sidewalls shows the proposed placement for the S50's. From there one of the speakers in each bipole will fire across the seating area and the other will reflect off the rear wall and then across the seating area.

I've also attached specs of my more vintage Image speakers. They are very similar. My Image 4T's sound very similar to T45's.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks !!

post #923 of 5643 Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grider View Post

The result sounds very good but I'm wondering if I would see significant improvement in the rear sound stage if I switched the 1B's for Image S50 bipoles and mounted the S50's on the side walls 2' above ear level and as far forward as possible (that will only be about 22" from the rear wall because of a large opening on the left wall of my theater).

I'm not a fan of bipoles so near a reflective wall as shown in your diagram. I'd stick with the monopoles.

post #924 of 5643 Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grider View Post

Briefly, my theater is 11' x 15'. Equipment as follows:

[snip/]

It's a somewhat tight space, I only have about 2' behind the couch and about 3' in from the side to the sweet spot (right seat of the left-hand loveseat). So I have my surrounds 1B's in the rear corners about 2' above ear level. The result sounds very good but I'm wondering if I would see significant improvement in the rear sound stage if I switched the 1B's for Image S50 bipoles and mounted the S50's on the side walls 2' above ear level and as far forward as possible (that will only be about 22" from the rear wall because of a large opening on the left wall of my theater).

That's a pretty small, tight, space. I've got a similar placement problems but my space is bigger (more like 15 x 22). As of very recently I have a pair of S50s just behind the couch mounted very high up, but the space to the rear wall is more like 48". Part of the reason I went with the S50's is because I knew they'd have to be mounted high (WAF issues) and I didn't want the sounds to localize high up in the room. At the moment you can sit almost directly under one of the S50s if you're working on the computer at one end of the room. My wife was working at the computer while the kids were watching something just after the S50's were installed and she asked "where's that sound coming from"? The way the reflections are working she couldn't place it as coming from the speaker at all and was having difficulty believing I hadn't snuck something else into the room somewhere . I think I've got the results I've wanted. Listening to some movies this weekend seems to confirm that, though I didn't get as much chance to do critical listening as I was hoping.

If you're happy with the sound I'd be tempted to leave it. If you are hearing localization issues that are distracting then I'd see if you could borrow a pair of S50's before you commit to anything. I suspect they'd do ok in your room, but I'm not sure the change would be worth the investment...
post #925 of 5643 Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You've got a bunch of issues here. First, your screen is arguably too big. Not by much, but at that size, it limits placement options and forces you back too far. You'd be better off with a little smaller screen and moving your seating up a foot or two - same effect, but now you set up your speakers better. Your fronts need to get away from the sides, they should be under the screen and no less than about 2' from the side walls, so they can image properly. With the seating moved forward, you can move the rears a bit out of the corners so they can work better.

We're doing a 7.1 high-end projection system with an RS2 projector in a room this size and it will only have a 92" screen but at 10' away, that's the ideal size.

John
post #926 of 5643 Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

First, your screen is arguably too big. Not by much, but at that size, it limits placement options and forces you back too far. You'd be better off with a little smaller screen and moving your seating up a foot or two - same effect, but now you set up your speakers better.

I'll take an opposite viewpoint. Get a bigger screen, but go acoustically transparent. Then drop your speakers BEHIND the screen so the L / R / C comes from the middle of the screen. This solves your placement issues, puts the sound in the proper location, but adds expense and light loss.

post #927 of 5643 Old 03-31-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'd be better off with a little smaller screen and moving your seating up a foot or two - same effect, but now you set up your speakers better.

I was thinking about asking if he could move the seating position, but from the room layout I think there may be issues. It appears he'd end up having the couch in the middle of the doorway if he moves forward enough to make much of a difference? Edit: that makes me wonder if he can flip the room?
post #928 of 5643 Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll take an opposite viewpoint. Get a bigger screen, but go acoustically transparent. Then drop your speakers BEHIND the screen so the L / R / C comes from the middle of the screen. This solves your placement issues, puts the sound in the proper location, but adds expense and light loss.

Then you'd have to put the screen 2' closer to you hanging from the ceiling and the speakers back against the wall - worse sound, worse video, screen too big. The smaller screen with seating moved up a bit makes more sense acoustically and optically.

John
post #929 of 5643 Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then you'd have to put the screen 2' closer to you hanging from the ceiling and the speakers back against the wall - worse sound, worse video, screen too big. The smaller screen with seating moved up a bit makes more sense acoustically and optically.

OK - lets get him to knock down the wall and move it about five feet back. That should solve all his problems.

post #930 of 5643 Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

How about if you built a new dedicated HT room with the specs given here by others??? That would be the best option.

Now, let's be real. Don't move a thing, don't buy another screen, etc. We are experts at spending other people's money. Money that most of the time, they don't have.

Having said that, I have no real option for you. I never liked the use of bipole/dipole speakers in a room like yours (similar to mine). My recommendation would be to stick with the monopoles for 5.1. But, if planning on a 7.1 system you might get away with using dipoles for side surrounds and monopoles for rear surrounds. But, that is another setup.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page