post #1081 of 5640 Old 04-19-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Thanks scientest, glad to hear this. By the way you say you have a C80, did you mean C60? I have never seen or heard of a C80, only the C40 & C60.

I meant the C60. I just got back from a trip last night, and I was (still am) more than a little tired, sorry about any confusion...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5640 Old 04-19-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

I meant the C60. I just got back from a trip last night, and I was (still am) more than a little tired, sorry about any confusion...

No problem, thank you for the clarification. Get some rest and have a great day tomorrow.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #1083 of 5640 Old 04-21-2008, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrelx View Post

PR Audio, ignoring price, how would you compare the G-series towers to your beloved T45's?

Just read this post...The G Series are not forward, while the T45 is slightly a forward speaker. G has more bass, and not muddied like the T55 would be. If you think the T45 is detailed, the G has the same level of details, plus keeps its composture by being neutral. Soundstage and imaging is a PSB characteristic, and T45 and G are very good at it.

If someone gave me the G's to substitute my T45's, I would change them. Now, pay more money; big maybe. In the G Series price I might look elsewhere, like to Monitor Audio, Paradigm, Salk, or Dali.
post #1084 of 5640 Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Sorry to be asking new questions before my old ones have been answered, but...

1) Will the Image B15's 6 Ohm rating be of any cause for concern (i.e., would I need a "better" receiver to drive them properly)?

2) Is anyone using driving the Image models with a digital amplified receiver (e.g., Panasonic or JVC)? I know that the PSB's are capable of high frequencies, and IIRC "bright" speakers don't mate well with DA receivers.

1. Not at all. Most receivers will handle 6-Ohms without problems, even if the manufacturer only rates it for 8-Ohms.

2. PSB's are capable of being on the bright side, especially the ones with 5-1/4" woofers (ie. B15 and T45). I own T45 and B25, and can attest to the fact that the B25 is more neutral than the T45. If you have B15 it might be bright, but though somewhat bright it is not a lot as to be of concern.
post #1085 of 5640 Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkowski1 View Post

The bass response on the T45s can be wonderful (almost overwhelming IMHO ) if your amp is capable, the speakers are placed well, and the room isn't too terribly large. Your mileage may vary of course as there are so many factors.

One other thing you may be experiencing is getting use to hearing quality bass. I was a little unimpressed at first, but when you start listening, you are hearing less in the midbass with the T45s (because I've become convinced that most cheap speakers have a bump in the midbass for effect) and more low bass. This sounds a little weird at first until you get used to it and are ruined for most other speakers forever....

I somewhat disagree...The bass response and quality on the T45 is great, but I wouldn't call it overwhelming, I find it very adequate for the speaker.

If you are into movies the T45 will greatly benefit from a sub. For music, unless into heavy bass stuff like organ music, or rap/hip-hop, I wouldn't worry about using a sub. Actually I turn mine to very low setting when hearing music; only use it to fill those HZ below the T45 capability, but not to be overpowering.
post #1086 of 5640 Old 04-22-2008, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio View Post

1. Not at all. Most receivers will handle 6-Ohms without problems, even if the manufacturer only rates it for 8-Ohms.

Thanks.

Quote:

2. PSB's are capable of being on the bright side, especially the ones with 5-1/4" woofers (ie. B15 and T45). I own T45 and B25, and can attest to the fact that the B25 is more neutral than the T45. If you have B15 it might be bright, but though somewhat bright it is not a lot as to be of concern.

Hmm...Just when I was finally ready to pull the trigger on the B15's, you've got me second-guessing it again. My main concern about going with the B25's is that I don't have a great location for a center channel speaker (fireplace). With the B15's, I could possibly fit a C40 or a vertically-mounted B15, but a vertically-mounted center B25 would be too much of an eyesore there and would probably require keeping it to the side when not watching a movie, and repositioning it temporarily to the center when watching a movie. The C60 is too tall to leave in place all the time, and I worry that a C40 wouldn't blend as well with the B25's as it would with the B15's.

My plan was to buy two pairs B15's and a 6i sub and see if the B15's seemed good enough. I was going to also be trying phantom center mode for a while. Of course, the other way to deal with excessive brightness (if that turned out to be an issue) would be to get a new receiver, since the refurb JVC only cost me about $100 anyway.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #1087 of 5640 Old 04-22-2008, 06:48 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I somewhat disagree...The bass response and quality on the T45 is great, but I wouldn't call it overwhelming, I find it very adequate for the speaker.

If you are into movies the T45 will greatly benefit from a sub. For music, unless into heavy bass stuff like organ music, or rap/hip-hop, I wouldn't worry about using a sub. Actually I turn mine to very low setting when hearing music; only use it to fill those HZ below the T45 capability, but not to be overpowering.

The bass on the T45s is only overwhelming if you have them positioned such that you have maximum reinforcement (ie. in a corner) and are playing bass heavy recordings. Most of the time, it is wonderful, and I agree completely.

Quote:

Thanks.

Hmm...Just when I was finally ready to pull the trigger on the B15's, you've got me second-guessing it again. My main concern about going with the B25's is that I don't have a great location for a center channel speaker (fireplace). With the B15's, I could possibly fit a C40 or a vertically-mounted B15, but a vertically-mounted center B25 would be too much of an eyesore there and would probably require keeping it to the side when not watching a movie, and repositioning it temporarily to the center when watching a movie. The C60 is too tall to leave in place all the time, and I worry that a C40 wouldn't blend as well with the B25's as it would with the B15's.

My plan was to buy two pairs B15's and a 6i sub and see if the B15's seemed good enough. I was going to also be trying phantom center mode for a while. Of course, the other way to deal with excessive brightness (if that turned out to be an issue) would be to get a new receiver, since the refurb JVC only cost me about $100 anyway.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I have a Sony receiver with the T45s and B15s, and I think it's very good top-end sound (as well as bottom end). You could always start with one pair, and if you decide they are bright, get the B25s and put the B15s in the rear. I've heard people say you can mix and match the image series without too much concern (ie. B25 mains, C40 center). I know the T45 and T65 sounded remarkably similar to my ears (hence my purchase of the T45s).

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #1088 of 5640 Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I worry that a C40 wouldn't blend as well with the B25's as it would with the B15's.

The C40 will blend very well with the B25's. My only concern would be if you had a large room or always listened at reference volumes and had to crank the C40.
post #1089 of 5640 Old 04-23-2008, 09:22 AM

I can pick a pair up for a very small cost but I am sure they are older and cannot locate info on them. has anyone used these in the past? Looking for clairty for HT
post #1090 of 5640 Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just read this post...The G Series are not forward, while the T45 is slightly a forward speaker. G has more bass, and not muddied like the T55 would be. If you think the T45 is detailed, the G has the same level of details, plus keeps its composture by being neutral. Soundstage and imaging is a PSB characteristic, and T45 and G are very good at it.

If someone gave me the G's to substitute my T45's, I would change them. Now, pay more money; big maybe. In the G Series price I might look elsewhere, like to Monitor Audio, Paradigm, Salk, or Dali.

Hey PR Audio,

Thanks for the info. I really hope you can help me a bit more. I'm currently testing out the T45s and like them a lot. LOVE the detail and the way everything sounds exactly where I think it should in the mix. So I don't want to lose these things. However, they are, as has been said elsewhere, a little "crisp", "bright", "sharp", whatever word you want to use. Ideally, I'd like to keep all the detail but have a bit more warmth, sweetness, etc. The GT1's sound like they might fit the bill.

I've tried my damndest and can't find the GT1s anywhere to listen to. I've got an opportunity to buy them for $1100 but I won't be able to return them so I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

Everything you said sounds good. However, one question I have is what you mean by "forward"? I notice voices and some instruments are a bit "forward in the mix" with the T45s, is that what you mean? If so, I actually kind of like that forwardness. I listened to Monitor Audio RS6, and it's a more refined speaker than the T45, but I actually liked the detail (forwardness?) of the T45 a bit better (to be honest, I heard them in two different stores, so not a side by side test. I don't know if I would have reached different conclusions if they'd both been in my living room).

Like you, I think the T45's bass is adequate. So another question I have is whether the bass on the GT1s will be too much. Is it about as powerful as the T55 or more like the T65?

Finally, I'm wondering if the G series bookshelves might be a good compromise here (I can also get a good price on them). They don't go as low perhaps as the towers but maybe will not overload me with bass.

Really feeling good about the PSB brand in general. I could live with the T45s and probably be happy. But that G-series does intrigue me. Any thoughts you have would be welcome.

Thanks,
post #1091 of 5640 Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The C40 will blend very well with the B25's. My only concern would be if you had a large room or always listened at reference volumes and had to crank the C40.

I agree...PSB was very smart when designing their Image series, even their older Image series. They made them in a way that all the speakers match regardless the driver size. C40 blends extremely well with B25, my center is a C40. I have cranked the C40 and have had no distortion, and sounds very good; anyways how many times you go to reference levels which are extremely loud?
post #1092 of 5640 Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrelx View Post

Hey PR Audio,

Thanks for the info. I really hope you can help me a bit more. I'm currently testing out the T45s and like them a lot. LOVE the detail and the way everything sounds exactly where I think it should in the mix. So I don't want to lose these things. However, they are, as has been said elsewhere, a little "crisp", "bright", "sharp", whatever word you want to use. Ideally, I'd like to keep all the detail but have a bit more warmth, sweetness, etc. The GT1's sound like they might fit the bill.

I've tried my damndest and can't find the GT1s anywhere to listen to. I've got an opportunity to buy them for $1100 but I won't be able to return them so I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

Everything you said sounds good. However, one question I have is what you mean by "forward"? I notice voices and some instruments are a bit "forward in the mix" with the T45s, is that what you mean? If so, I actually kind of like that forwardness. I listened to Monitor Audio RS6, and it's a more refined speaker than the T45, but I actually liked the detail (forwardness?) of the T45 a bit better (to be honest, I heard them in two different stores, so not a side by side test. I don't know if I would have reached different conclusions if they'd both been in my living room).

Like you, I think the T45's bass is adequate. So another question I have is whether the bass on the GT1s will be too much. Is it about as powerful as the T55 or more like the T65?

Finally, I'm wondering if the G series bookshelves might be a good compromise here (I can also get a good price on them). They don't go as low perhaps as the towers but maybe will not overload me with bass.

Really feeling good about the PSB brand in general. I could live with the T45s and probably be happy. But that G-series does intrigue me. Any thoughts you have would be welcome.

Thanks,

1. For $1100.00 I would buy the G's and keep them. Especially if you like the T45.

2. I would say the G is in the same league and sound as the RS6 with the G being somewhat more detailed, in a good way. I would say is that marriage between Mr. T45 and Mrs. RS6.

3. Bass is not loud, and is actually very tight. Very well balanced. With music it will not be overwhelming, and with movies it will be perfect. If you liked the RS6 bass level, you will enjoy the G very much.

4. Have not heard the G bookshelves, and not much have been written about them, so I wouldn't expect great performance from them.

5. For the price you are getting the G is a sure bet. If you enjoyed the T45, you will love the G.
post #1093 of 5640 Old 05-02-2008, 05:38 AM

Anyone have experience with the CHS 40 or 60 in-cabinet speakers?

I am wondering how they would sound in a bright room (lots of tile, and glass).
post #1094 of 5640 Old 05-02-2008, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Fehnel View Post

Anyone have experience with the CHS 40 or 60 in-cabinet speakers?

I am wondering how they would sound in a bright room (lots of tile, and glass).

How big of room? Any treatments what-so-ever (a rug or two, or curtains)?

Don't know the CHSs in particular, but if they're like the rest of the PSB line (and I can't imagine Paul doing anything else) they are pretty flat and have good dispersion; IOW they're likely to sounds pretty bright and harsh in such a room. Then again, so would any other good speaker....
post #1095 of 5640 Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:

How big of room? Any treatments what-so-ever (a rug or two, or curtains)?

Don't know the CHSs in particular, but if they're like the rest of the PSB line (and I can't imagine Paul doing anything else) they are pretty flat and have good dispersion; IOW they're likely to sounds pretty bright and harsh in such a room. Then again, so would any other good speaker....

Thanks for the quick reply!

My room will have sofa, uphostered chairs, multiple rugs, some curtains, so it is not going to be completely stark tile and windows. Do you think the PSBs will work for me?
post #1096 of 5640 Old 05-02-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply!

My room will have sofa, uphostered chairs, multiple rugs, some curtains, so it is not going to be completely stark tile and windows. Do you think the PSBs will work for me?

How big is the room and what will you're seating position be in relationship to the speakers? In particular will there be any rugs between the speakers and the listening position? Will your receiver (whatever) have Audysey or something similar?
post #1097 of 5640 Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:

How big is the room and what will you're seating position be in relationship to the speakers? In particular will there be any rugs between the speakers and the listening position? Will your receiver (whatever) have Audysey or something similar?

The room is really just one big room encompassing the kitchen, family room, living room, and foyer.

Yes, I will have a big rug on the tile floor between the speakers and sofa listening position. Speakers will be about 10 feet apart and I will be about 12 feet from the Left and Right speakers.
post #1098 of 5640 Old 05-02-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The room is really just one big room encompassing the kitchen, family room, living room, and foyer.

Yes, I will have a big rug on the tile floor between the speakers and sofa listening position. Speakers will be about 10 feet apart and I will be about 12 feet from the Left and Right speakers.

My room has almost no acoustical treatments, as they are not allowed by the commander (wife). I have been able to tame the highs, which was my biggest problem by having a reclining microfiber sofa right accross the front three speakers (listening position is about 8 ft. from speakers), and adding some microfiber chairs (one at each side of the room). I am very happy with how it sounds now, even though I'm sure with an area rug and other minor things it would improve more. My room is 100% solid concrete with tiled floor.
post #1099 of 5640 Old 05-03-2008, 09:21 AM

I have a 5.1 system which is made up of the following components:

Right/Left Image T65
Center Image C60
Surround Back Right/Left Image B25

I am toying with the Idea of going to a 7.1 system. Any suggestions for the Surround Sides?

Thanks in advance:-)
post #1100 of 5640 Old 05-03-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The size of the room suggests you'll be tempted to turn things up unless you get some additional speakers (ceiling?) in other parts of the room (in addition to the surrounds). However, other than that I'd guess you should be ok. I'd still want a receiver with room EQ (Audysey or similar).
post #1101 of 5640 Old 05-03-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izap2 View Post

I have a 5.1 system which is made up of the following components:

Right/Left Image T65
Center Image C60
Surround Back Right/Left Image B25

I am toying with the Idea of going to a 7.1 system. Any suggestions for the Surround Sides?

Thanks in advance:-)

What size room?

Where do you sit in the room?

Any room treatments?

Are you happy with the B25s?

Any reason for 7.1 other that to have it?
post #1102 of 5640 Old 05-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:

What size room?

Where do you sit in the room?

Any room treatments?

Are you happy with the B25s?

Any reason for 7.1 other that to have it?

The room size is approximately 12' x 18' and I sit approximately 7' to 8' from the plasma panel and the front and center speakers.

The family room is carpeted, has a 12' sectional couch (suede covering), and cutains on the windows. The walls have pictureas on them.

The B25's are great and I'm totally satisfied with them.

The only reason to have them would be to listen to movies that have DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1.

Thanks
post #1103 of 5640 Old 05-04-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:

The room size is approximately 12' x 18' and I sit approximately 7' to 8' from the plasma panel and the front and center speakers.

The family room is carpeted, has a 12' sectional couch (suede covering), and cutains on the windows. The walls have pictureas on them.

The only reason to have them would be to listen to movies that have DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1.

Thanks

I just picked up a pair of PSB S50 bipoles a few weeks ago. I love them and they are well matched with my existing Image speakers. I think you may find them a great choice for surrounds.
post #1104 of 5640 Old 05-04-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grider View Post

I just picked up a pair of PSB S50 bipoles a few weeks ago. I love them and they are well matched with my existing Image speakers. I think you may find them a great choice for surrounds.

+1
post #1105 of 5640 Old 05-04-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, I have a room a little bigger than yours with a pair of S50s in a 5.1 setup. I have no real reason to go to a 7.1 system (it would be hard given the room layout). I like the S50's, always have, and prefer them over the B25s for HT. However, given you like the B25s I sorta wonder. My inclination is to say go with the S50s but it would be nice if you could addition them first. I'd also be prepared to play with switching your B25s out and using the S50s in their place. With the B25s in the rear I'd play with them aiming up or down or to the side so that they are not aiming directly at the seating positions. Long run, if you find you like the S50s you may even want to consider 4 of them and using the B25s somewhere else (I think they are worth more than they tend to get on the used market).
post #1106 of 5640 Old 05-04-2008, 09:19 PM

I want to thank all of you for your advise. As soon as I get a chance I will audition the S50's , and update you on what I do.

Thank you
post #1107 of 5640 Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 PM

Hey folks!

I just bought some PSB Image speakers from Saturday Audio to put together my first home theater system! I went with the B25s for the fronts, C40 for the center, and B15s for the rears. MFW-15 subwoofer on the way in a couple weeks.

Here's my question:
I live in a town home that is prewired for surround sound. However, the plates are too high in the front to be useful if I want to mount the speakers to the wall. So now I'm looking to buy speaker stands for the 25s.

Any good recommendations? For colors, I'm thinking gray, black or aluminum. Price range is open.

As for wall mounts for the rears... am I better off going with omnimounts that I need to screw in to the speakers? Or am I better off going with something like this that just tightly holds the speakers in place?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009292OE?...0&linkCode=asn

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Nate
post #1108 of 5640 Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipanoka2 View Post

I just bought some PSB Image speakers from Saturday Audio to put together my first home theater system! I went with the B25s for the fronts, C40 for the center, and B15s for the rears. MFW-15 subwoofer on the way in a couple weeks.

Congrats. Let us know what you think after you've had them a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipanoka2 View Post

As for wall mounts for the rears... am I better off going with omnimounts that I need to screw in to the speakers? Or am I better off going with something like this that just tightly holds the speakers in place?

I'd say that's completely personal preference. If you're going to be there a while I'd mount them as discretely as possible which tends to mean screwing something directly to the speaker. Given the B15's aren't extremely expensive I wouldn't feel bad about this (I used direct mounts on my S50's).
post #1109 of 5640 Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Congrats. Let us know what you think after you've had them a while...

I'd say that's completely personal preference. If you're going to be there a while I'd mount them as discretely as possible which tends to mean screwing something directly to the speaker. Given the B15's aren't extremely expensive I wouldn't feel bad about this (I used direct mounts on my S50's).

Did you drill holes on your S50's?
post #1110 of 5640 Old 05-05-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamtoh1 View Post

Did you drill holes on your S50's?

Yup. PSB includes drilling templates with the S50s so you know where it's safe to drill.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page