Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1171 of 5623 Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think the Platinums were the last line made in Canada. It's too bad because it will probably be my last pair of PSBs. I love the Platinums and even if the Syncronys are better I wouldn't purchase them because they are made in China.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 5623 Old 05-29-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pick View Post

China?!? Aren't they made in Canada?

Used to be made in Canada. My brother and several friends I grew up worked on the original production line.
post #1173 of 5623 Old 05-29-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve. View Post

I love the Platinums and even if the Syncronys are better I wouldn't purchase them because they are made in China.

Personally, I think th Platinums are still better than the Syncronys in many ways but the Synchronys are better bang for the buck. Other than that, design is still done in Canada, QA is still overseen from Canada. Given that all most all major lines have manufacturing done in China I wouldn't rule them out just because of that; it's a cost saving that gets passed onto the consumer, it doesn't necessarily mean there is any compromise in performance or quality as anyone that has used them can attest to.
post #1174 of 5623 Old 05-29-2008, 08:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

Used to be made in Canada. My brother and several friends I grew up worked on the original production line.

Just got a pair of T65 for $599+tax at my local dealer.
They are made in Canada, cause they are old model.
Just wondering do i need "break in" time for the speakers.
But PSB site stated they don't need "break in", their speakers sound good out of the box.
Any idea?

Kelvin
post #1175 of 5623 Old 05-31-2008, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinlau View Post

Just got a pair of T65 for $599+tax at my local dealer.
They are made in Canada, cause they are old model.
But PSB site stated they don't need "break in", their speakers sound good out of the box.
Any idea?

Kelvin

How do you know is Made in Canada, is written on the label or anywhere on the package ? Do they have a s/n on the backside?
post #1176 of 5623 Old 05-31-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serband View Post

How do you know is Made in Canada, is written on the label or anywhere on the package ? Do they have a s/n on the backside?

it is written on the label w/ sn located at the back of the speaker, right underneath the 5 way binding posts.
btw any ideas of the "break in" question?

Kelvin
post #1177 of 5623 Old 05-31-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:

it is written on the label w/ sn located at the back of the speaker, right underneath the 5 way binding posts.
btw any ideas of the "break in" question?

Kelvin

I have send you a private message.
post #1178 of 5623 Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally I find the whole concept of speaker break in sorta bizarre. If something is going to audibly change after running a speaker for 24 hours or whatever then what's going to happen to that speaker after a couple of years? Mechanical things that change keep on changing; I want my speakers to stay consistent...
post #1179 of 5623 Old 06-03-2008, 12:53 PM

Hi,
I just bought 2 pairs of PSB Alpha B1's.( Up graded from a Bose lifestyle system ) I'll be hooking them up to a Onkyo 605 and Onkyo sub. I was wondering if anyone else has these speakers and what they think of them.
post #1180 of 5623 Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwraith View Post

Hi,
I just bought 2 pairs of PSB Alpha B1's.( Up graded from a Bose lifestyle system ) I'll be hooking them up to a Onkyo 605 and Onkyo sub. I was wondering if anyone else has these speakers and what they think of them.

B1 is one sweet bookshelf speaker, i have them for a couple of yrs now, love'em. Just one reminder, they r rear port design, so make sure u have enough room from the wall.
Congrat. on ur find choice.
post #1181 of 5623 Old 06-03-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

We finally brought the new Synchrony Two towers in for review. We have them in our small tower room placed next to the ERA Design D14 and Dynaudio Focus 220 towers. I can honestly say I'm impressed with what PSB has done with the Synchrony series. I'm already a fan of the Synchrony One towers, but even moreso with the Two's given it's small footprint.

First, in terms of contest against the ERA Design D14. The Sync Two's depth is much better and the highs are less muffled and crystal clear. A little more energy from the Sync Two's is present as well. I do like the ERA's, they are just out-classed by the Sync's here!

Next comes the Dynaudio Focus 220 comparison. This will be much stiffer competition for the Sync's. More to come on that...sorry.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #1182 of 5623 Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 PM

hey all brand new to this forum and I had a quick question for your PSB fans. I'm thinking of getting some s50 for surround work, but I need them to be ceiling mounted. Is this possible? Any help would be greately appreciated.
post #1183 of 5623 Old 06-06-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mips33 View Post

I'm thinking of getting some s50 for surround work, but I need them to be ceiling mounted. Is this possible?

When you say ceiling mounted do you mean flat against the ceiling or in a more traditional orientation but with the mount attached to the ceiling?

If it's the former I'm sure you could jury rig something using L brackets or some stock aluminum or something and I guess if the position wasn't too crazy relative to the listener it would work. The S50s should be above ear level and mine are close to the ceiling but that would be taking things to the extreme.

If it's the latter, then sure, it's just a case of finding suitable mounts. There's a drilling template and recommendations for some standard mounts that come with the S50's but I'm sure you need not follow these exactly (I'm not). Not sure what mounts you'd need and you'd want to make sure that you have a stud or something solid (plywood behind the drywall or similar) to attach to the ceiling. This is essentially what I'm doing though I'm hitting a beam that drops about 4 inches below the ceiling in my case.
post #1184 of 5623 Old 06-08-2008, 03:09 PM

Anybody tried to bi-amp a pair of T55's ? It's a significant improvement ? How did you setup bi-amp:
a) 1 amplifier power the bass(left+right tower) and another the mid/high part or
b) 1 amplifier on each tower(left channel on bass and right channel on mid/high) ?
If these towers is rated 6ohms on normal setup, what's the impedance in case of bi-amp on bass section and mid/high section ?
Thanks
post #1185 of 5623 Old 06-12-2008, 01:12 AM

I just bought my PSB sytem today. I purchased the T55's, C60 and Nad T755 receiver. I am going to get the s50's next week. Unfortunately I have to wait for the the T55's as David at DMC Electronis is out of stock of the black at the moment but should have them begining of next week. What a tease to have the center and receiver and I can't listen to them!!!

I aslo want to take a minute and let you know about my expeirence with David at DMC as I see his shop mentioned quite a bit in this thread.
David is THE BEST!! Period!! His customer service and knowledge are top notch and he actually cares about his customer's and their needs instead of the quick sale and quick dollar. I am new at this whole quality speaker and equipment addiction ( I thought high end equipment was my Bose Lifestyle 3system I bought 10 yrs ago. ) and he took the time to answer all my stupid questions and explain it all to me. He values you and knows that helping you get it right now will bring you back in the future. It's the type of service you can't find any more and as a Retail Manager for the past 20 yrs I know what I'm talking about. It's my new favorite store!

Anyway I do have a question as to the S50's and mounting. My sitting postion is right up against the back wall (Sectional) and @ 19ft from the front speakers and TV. I am only able to mount them on this rear wall as the right side is the wall and windows to the back yard and the left side is the dining area.
I was wondering how high up the wall should I mount them for the best surround sound? I sit in one corner of the sectional and my wife sits in the other corner and right next to our postions are each surround speaker mounted a little above ear height and you dont really get the surround field (?)all that well. I have 10' ceilings and the left side is wide open doesn't have any corners or walls for the sound to reflect off.
Any Ideas would be very appreciated as I only want to have to drill once to keep the WIF from regretting she approved these giant eyesore speakers. ( her words, not mine)

Thanks!!
post #1186 of 5623 Old 06-12-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON IN II View Post

I just bought my PSB sytem today. I purchased the T55's, C60 and Nad T755 receiver. I am going to get the s50's next week. Unfortunately I have to wait for the the T55's as David at DMC Electronis is out of stock of the black at the moment but should have them begining of next week. What a tease to have the center and receiver and I can't listen to them!!!

I aslo want to take a minute and let you know about my expeirence with David at DMC as I see his shop mentioned quite a bit in this thread.
David is THE BEST!! Period!! His customer service and knowledge are top notch and he actually cares about his customer's and their needs instead of the quick sale and quick dollar. I am new at this whole quality speaker and equipment addiction ( I thought high end equipment was my Bose Lifestyle 3system I bought 10 yrs ago. ) and he took the time to answer all my stupid questions and explain it all to me. He values you and knows that helping you get it right now will bring you back in the future. It's the type of service you can't find any more and as a Retail Manager for the past 20 yrs I know what I'm talking about. It's my new favorite store!

Anyway I do have a question as to the S50's and mounting. My sitting postion is right up against the back wall (Sectional) and @ 19ft from the front speakers and TV. I am only able to mount them on this rear wall as the right side is the wall and windows to the back yard and the left side is the dining area.
I was wondering how high up the wall should I mount them for the best surround sound? I sit in one corner of the sectional and my wife sits in the other corner and right next to our postions are each surround speaker mounted a little above ear height and you dont really get the surround field (?)all that well. I have 10' ceilings and the left side is wide open doesn't have any corners or walls for the sound to reflect off.
Any Ideas would be very appreciated as I only want to have to drill once to keep the WIF from regretting she approved these giant eyesore speakers. ( her words, not mine)

Thanks!!

19 feet? I hope you didn't spring for a 1080p set, because you are far beyond max distance for your eyes to be able to see the 1080p HD detail - assuming you have 20/20 vision, you'd need a 148" screen to be able to see 1080p quality back that far.

If moving the couch is not an option, then you'll have to live with the issues you have. Sitting right under the surround sound speakers is going to kill about 90% of the surround experience imo. I know because I just recently moved from a bad setup like this and rearranged my speaker placement to get the side channels actually installed on the sides.
post #1187 of 5623 Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Normal recommendation is 2 feet above listening position. With those seating positions I'd be tempted to play with mounts that let them aim up at the ceiling to some extent. Hate to say it, but S50's may not be the best option for such a seating arrangement...
post #1188 of 5623 Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 PM

Correction. I am 14ft from the TV and speakers. I have a Samsung 67" DLP model HL67A750. Unfortunately moving the couch is not an option so what would be some better options then for the surround speakers. I know the set up back there sucks but it is what I have to work with.
Thanks
post #1189 of 5623 Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Correction. I am 14ft from the TV and speakers. I have a Samsung 67" DLP model HL67A750. Unfortunately moving the couch is not an option so what would be some better options then for the surround speakers. I know the set up back there sucks but it is what I have to work with.
Thanks

As "scientest" said your setup is far from ideal you are too close to the surround speakers. The only options you really have are to try and bounce the sound of a a surface such as the ceiling or walls etc. This can sometimes work out ok but you will need to experiment. Again bipole S50's are sub-optimal if you want to try this, monopole speakers would be better. If you can drag the couch forward far enough try putting them on small tables behind it pointing straight up at the ceiling.
post #1190 of 5623 Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 PM

Thanks for your ideas. I'll mess around with my current speakers and see what will work. I did get a chance to hook up the C60 today with my old JBL LX44's and what great center speaker. I did get to demos some Monitor Audio RS6's and the LCR and the C60 sounds so much better it's amazing. It is twice as big as the MA but well worth it.
post #1191 of 5623 Old 06-13-2008, 08:00 AM

I'm proud to join the PSB owners family. I just purchased the following:

Image T45
Image C40
Image S50

I was debating on getting the T65s but after some research it seemed like the T45s would best suit me since I live in Manhattan and have a small apartment. I currently run Bose Acoustimass for my fronts and center, which are 12 yrs old. I just moved into a 1bdrm so I finally have the room for some towers. I did acquire a Polk sub (404) a couple yrs ago with an Amazon gift card, but I'm now debating whether to buy a new one. I'm running all this through my HK 200 series receiver from about 5 yrs ago. This brings me to my question.

Which receiver would be the best fit for around 1k? I spoke with Ryan from Saturdayaudio and he recommended the NAD 755. The thing is I have neighbors and my opportunity to really crank the sound is far and few between. Also, I'll only be running 5.1 so is this investment worth it? I'm sure the NAD is better than my HK, however will the investment be worthy given my conditions?

I'm in the market to buy the new Pioneer KURO 5020FD once it comes out so the receiver will have to wait until I get that badboy.

Anyone have any advice?
post #1192 of 5623 Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyDJ View Post

Which receiver would be the best fit for around 1k?

You'll get a dozen all equally valid answers, the Nad would probably work wonderfully. I use a Denon 3808 which works wonderfully and is very flexible. That can be found for a little more than your price point (and MRSP is a lot more). However, you might want to also look at the newer Denon 2809. Among other things "night mode" will help with the neighbors...
post #1193 of 5623 Old 06-13-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

You'll get a dozen all equally valid answers, the Nad would probably work wonderfully. I use a Denon 3808 which works wonderfully and is very flexible. That can be found for a little more than your price point (and MRSP is a lot more). However, you might want to also look at the newer Denon 2809. Among other things "night mode" will help with the neighbors...

Thanks Scientest...

Do you think this new receiver would be a drastic improvement over my HK considering the lack of space and only running 5.1?
post #1194 of 5623 Old 06-13-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Scientest...

Do you think this new receiver would be a drastic improvement over my HK considering the lack of space and only running 5.1?

You've gotta make that call for yourself. Look over the feature lists, but with the newer equipment you get things like HDMI 3.1, more decoding capabilities (is a PS3 with Bluray in your future?), ability do get software updates to the receiver (in the case of the Denon over the Internet), fancy GUI's (worth more than you might expect), Audyssey (automatic multipoint room EQ). etc. Some of these you may already have, but you won't have all of it.... I run 5.1 with the Denon 3808, couldn't imagine moving back to an older generation of equipment.
post #1195 of 5623 Old 06-13-2008, 11:34 AM

I just replaced my H/K 340 with the Nad T755 and love it. Sure it does not have the bells and whistles of all the new receivers like Dennon, Yamaha,Onkyo and Marantz to name just a few but I really love the way the Nad sounds over my old H/K. I had originally ordered and received a Yamaha RXV 863 due to the video upscaling, HD radio and the ability to "bi amp" the speakers. I 86ed it after setting it all up as it sounded worse than my H/K. To me the Nad really brought the speakers alive and they sounded much fuller. Thats just my 2 cents worth.
Enjoy.
post #1196 of 5623 Old 06-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Image T45
Image C40
Image S50

I was debating on getting the T65s but after some research it seemed like the T45s would best suit me since I live in Manhattan and have a small apartment. I currently run Bose Acoustimass for my fronts and center, which are 12 yrs old. I just moved into a 1bdrm so I finally have the room for some towers. I did acquire a Polk sub (404) a couple yrs ago with an Amazon gift card, but I'm now debating whether to buy a new one. I'm running all this through my HK 200 series receiver from about 5 yrs ago. This brings me to my question.

Which receiver would be the best fit for around 1k? I spoke with Ryan from Saturdayaudio and he recommended the NAD 755. The thing is I have neighbors and my opportunity to really crank the sound is far and few between. Also, I'll only be running 5.1 so is this investment worth it? I'm sure the NAD is better than my HK, however will the investment be worthy given my conditions?

I'm in the market to buy the new Pioneer KURO 5020FD once it comes out so the receiver will have to wait until I get that badboy.

Anyone have any advice?

I am running a similar speaker setup through an Onkyo 705 with very pleasing results. The Onkyo is loaded with the latest features and decoders and is relatively inexpensive.

You may also want to look at the even less expensive but newer Onkyo 606.
post #1197 of 5623 Old 06-13-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsfuel View Post

I've spent too many years flying noisy jets to notice whether or not a speaker is designed to be horizontal or vertical.

Don't think you'll notice the difference then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serband View Post

Hello,

I've listened a pair of PSB Image T55(with NAD325BEE amplifier) at local Hi-Fi dealer and I must say I was very impressed. But I found a better deal(a package PSBT55+NAD325BEE+EAGLE CABLE Calypso II-18ft.) on-line but they don't have showroom, just send the products to a specified address.
My problem is how I recognize a genuine PSB Image T55 from those made in China? Anybody knows where T55's are actually manufactured? Can anybody post a picture of the original label on the back of the tower?

Thanks for help

The image series has been made in China for some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsfuel View Post

I won't tell it that it's supposed to be vertical when I place it horizontal...

I tell my girlfriend the same thing all the time.

Quote:

Image T45
Image C40
Image S50

Anyone have any advice?

There is something about the NAD sound...Ryan recommended an excellent receiver that sounds very good, especially for music. If your main interest is movies, then consider offerings from Marantz and Denon. You will save money, and still get great sound. Marantz probably gets closer to NAD when playing music. If your main interest is movies, but still get the NAD, what will happen is that you will find yourself hearing music more often; rediscovering music you like.
post #1198 of 5623 Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM

I will hopefully be a psb owner soon, but I first have to decide which route to go. Initially I was set on getting the alpha studio system (Alpha b1s, c1, lr1 & 5i), since it seemed perfectly suited to my situation: one bedroom apt., not too big, but then I noticed a couple of things.

I just moved into this new place and my setup has somewhat changed in that my speakers (currently running an Onkyo htib) have to be placed very close to the walls (within 10 inches), my center speaker actually has to be placed within a bookshelf and I was getting boomy bass - the narrator on Arrested Development sounded like he had the voice of God. I noticed that the speakers I have now are rear ported so I plugged up the ports with some eggcrate foam and it helped quite a bit, but there still is some boom. Now I noticed that the Alphas I planned to get are rear ported as well, and I don't want to run into the same problems.

So I researched it a bit and it seems that front ports could really do the trick in this situation and so I was thinking about moving up to the Image line. The extra cost would limit my current investment a little bit though. I would love to get t45s, c40, b15s and a 5i (I think the 5i would be good enough since the place is smaller and I'm not really a basshead), but there isn't enough room for the t45s so I was thinking about getting the b15s as mains and the c40 as center. I would keep the same surrounds as I have now since I really do need the surrounds to be more sats than monitors and another pair of b15s would be too big where I have my surrounds currently placed, and I was thinking about keeping the sub from my current system (believe it or not, for a HTIB sub it doesn't sound half bad). I would then upgrade my receiver to a Marantz 7002 for future compatibility with a Blu-ray player when that finally happens.

When I finally move into a bigger place in a couple of years is when I would hopefully get t45s for mains, run the b15s to the rears and upgrade my sub if I haven't already. I think it sounds like a pretty decent plan I made for myself, but I can't really find any information on b15s used as mains. I know the Alpha b1s got glowing reviews, which is what attracted me to them in the first place, but all the reviews I look up have b15s as surrounds and they really don't get too in depth with the b15s performance. I'm currently trying to set up a demo where I could compare the two, but that's proving a little difficult to get together right now.

I don't know how much anyone can help me with this, but has anyone ever compared b15s with Alpha b1s? Or if you do have Alphas, do they get particularly boomy when placed within 10 inches of the walls (same for c1)? Is the image line a big step up from the alpha? Is the alpha line enough of a step up from an Onkyo ht-s760 to warrant a purchase or should I just shoot straight up to the image to get a noticable jump in sound quality? Will the front ported speakers instead of the rear ported ones truly help out my situation?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
-Mike
post #1199 of 5623 Old 06-17-2008, 12:33 AM

I have a pair of Alpha T1 and a C1 as center...the speakers are place about 8" from the wall and it does not feel boomy at all...my C1 is just 5" away from my LCD TV and it sounded ok with me.

hope this will help you a bit...

To be or NOT to be......YOU are WHO you ARE
post #1200 of 5623 Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 PM

Hey All,
I just joined the PSB family as well. I just purchased the following the following for my HT setup.

GT1s for the Left and Right Channels
GC1 for the center
S50 for the surrounds

I too got everything from David and dmc-electronics, and I agree with the previous post in that he was great and has exceptional customer service. My question to you all is right now I've only got the left and right channels hooked up to an old HK AVR-45 receiver and I'm a but underwhelmed by how they sound. I'm sure room acoustics have something to do with it but I'm also sure its the receiver as well, its just a bit underpowered. I have a Pioneer Elite VSK-94TXH on order and I was curious about what you all thought about that receiver for my speakers. or if you have any suggestions on what the minimum specs should be for the above setup. My room is
15' X 19' with my seating position at 10' back. Also my surrounds will be
5' from my seating position, is that too far?

Any comments or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Raj
Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Nad , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Audyssey , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page