Orb Audio - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 120 Old 04-16-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rustlex look near the center bottom of the amp. there is a "SUB" input there. This is a non powered port

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 04-17-2006, 02:35 PM

Thanks Russdawg and Outie .... I've been using a crappy sub with no amp for a long time and the obvious non powered option didn't occur to me. Can't wait for my Orbs to arrive Wednesday!
Now I have to decide between the Panasonic SA-XR57 or the Outlaw 1070. I'm like the price of the panny and it's hdmi's but since it's not out yet who knows about the sound (dare I mention the SH-FX60 wireless surround solution? probibly crap? or not?) . The only downside I can see to the Outlaw is the old school DVI connectors and the slightly higher price.
-Rus
post #93 of 120 Old 04-17-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well not to start a DVI HDMI debate but if you get down to brass taxs and see what realisticly is the diffrence... there almost is none. DVI can shoot just as good quality as HDMI :S
post #94 of 120 Old 04-17-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outie View Post

Well not to start a DVI HDMI debate but if you get down to brass taxs and see what realisticly is the diffrence... there almost is none. DVI can shoot just as good quality as HDMI :S

you are definately correct in that statement. I didn't mean to diss the quality of DVI since it's the same as HDMI minus the audio. Actually the Outlaw may be the better choice for me since my Oppo DVD uses DVI and I already have a 50' HDMI to Dvi cable from my projector.

-Rus
post #95 of 120 Old 04-21-2006, 03:51 PM

looking for pics of an orb set up for some ideas, other than whats on the orb websight. Any members have pics in the photo gallery
thanks
post #96 of 120 Old 04-22-2006, 03:15 PM

Got my Orbs (People's Choice white) this week and they are truly awesome! The only possible criticism would be that the wall mounts are way over priced for what they are and the expensive sub cable isn't anything special. But: Really I love these speakers!
Saving my pennies for the Outlaw to go with them
post #97 of 120 Old 04-22-2006, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustlex View Post

Got my Orbs (People's Choice white) this week and they are truly awesome! The only possible criticism would be that the wall mounts are way over priced for what they are and the expensive sub cable isn't anything special. But: Really I love these speakers!

Give them 20 hrs or so to break in you will like them even better. The sub really starts cookin after a little break in time on it!

Russ
post #98 of 120 Old 05-09-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumBob View Post

That would be a 2 ohm speaker. You'd need one hell of an amp to drive it.

I have just read this today,
http://www.orbaudio.com/images/HTMagSept2005.pdf

And it mention about Orb QUAD!!!
But it didn't mention how the connection is being done.. anyone has any idea?
post #99 of 120 Old 05-09-2006, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustlex View Post

DO it man, save for the Outlaw 1070 you will not be dissapointed. Hell if I had the money id loan it to you. The build quality, sound, setup, damn near everything is amazing and in the upper classes of design. I do not have one complaint about it.

The only quirk I have found is that there is an On/Off button that doesnt turn it on lol. To turn it on you hit an input source. But my Harmony 880 already knew to do that so I am happy as can be.
post #100 of 120 Old 05-09-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bcwh View Post

I have just read this today,

And it mention about Orb QUAD!!!
But it didn't mention how the connection is being done.. anyone has any idea?

There tech support via email and over the phone is 2nd to none. Yes I said it, its 2ND TO NONE! Its absolutly amazing. Call them up and they will tell you how or email them.
post #101 of 120 Old 05-09-2006, 02:10 PM

Outie,
Thanks, I have emailed Orb and they have responded within 1 minute! Indeed the Mod4 is doable.

I have another question for all the owners here, how do you find the Mod2 being used as the center channel? When I compared it against the Axiom VP100, the Mod2 is sounding too thin, the mid range is not there and the human voice sounded too high pitch.

What I hope is that by upgrading to Mod4, it will improve the mid range. What do ya'll think?

Rgds
barry
post #102 of 120 Old 05-09-2006, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm I like my Mod2 center... Mod4 I have read (not hear) to enhance the center speaker greatly and some have even done Mod4 across the front and mod2 for surrounds (Peoples Choice on crack).

I think the sub carries the weight of the speakers fairly well. But gimme an example of where your hearing this and ill try to replicate it.
post #103 of 120 Old 05-09-2006, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Woops forgot to add. Using a Mod4 I think will run at a diffrent ohm or something like that (I am not a super audio phile.... yet) but not sure I do know it will def. use more power so make sure your reciever can handle it. Small Speakers so shouldnt be a big ordeal but you never know
post #104 of 120 Old 05-09-2006, 02:43 PM

Oh, actually Ethan emailed me back that Mod4 is done by cross-connecting 2x Mod2 to make it an 8 Ohm speaker. So it's not 2 Ohm as most people initially thought.

I found that the Mod2 center is generally lacking the mid-low frequency when it comes to HT, regardless of what DVD I'm playing. I can hear this because I do have a neighbour which owns an Axiom EPIC 50, so the difference in HT experience is pretty significant.

Orbs are great for music (Better than the Axiom that I heard), but can't really compete in the HT realm. I'm trying to see what else I can do to improve my Orbs when it comes to HT, I'm not thinking about selling my Orbs now..they're too pretty.
post #105 of 120 Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

wow I think they are much better then my Yamaha system I pieced to gether. The sub is great!
post #106 of 120 Old 05-10-2006, 06:19 PM

do you have your crossover set very high? maybe it's cutting everything from 180 or 200hz off in the center?
post #107 of 120 Old 05-10-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

I have mine set at 125
post #108 of 120 Old 05-10-2006, 06:35 PM

I set my crossover at 150Hz, I also tried 100Hz, but didn't hear much difference. When I looked at the frequency curve here:

It seems to tell me that I'm just listening to what the small Orbs are capable of.
post #109 of 120 Old 05-10-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Outie,
Thanks, I have emailed Orb and they have responded within 1 minute! Indeed the Mod4 is doable.

I have another question for all the owners here, how do you find the Mod2 being used as the center channel? When I compared it against the Axiom VP100, the Mod2 is sounding too thin, the mid range is not there and the human voice sounded too high pitch.

What I hope is that by upgrading to Mod4, it will improve the mid range. What do ya'll think?

Rgds
barry

Try running everything without a center at all...you might find you like what you hear alot better. This is especially true in a small room where the sweet spot is so narrow, make sure you try it with both music and movies.

Russ
post #110 of 120 Old 05-10-2006, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I set my crossover at 150Hz, I also tried 100Hz, but didn't hear much difference. When I looked at the frequency curve here:

It seems to tell me that I'm just listening to what the small Orbs are capable of.

One other thing what kind of sub are you running?

Russ
post #111 of 120 Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outie View Post

DO it man, save for the Outlaw 1070 you will not be dissapointed. Hell if I had the money id loan it to you. The build quality, sound, setup, damn near everything is amazing and in the upper classes of design. I do not have one complaint about it.

The only quirk I have found is that there is an On/Off button that doesnt turn it on lol. To turn it on you hit an input source. But my Harmony 880 already knew to do that so I am happy as can be.

I got my 1070 and It truely is a great sounding machine! Complements the Orbs very nicely. My only gripe that I can think of is when watching sat. tv from from the s-video source I can see alot of what I guess is interlacing (jagged or smeared lookling titiles, Simpsons/Southpark/Family Guy jagged mouths/edges). My old Sony didn't have this so it must me a setting I can't find.

When you are talking about the on/off button do you mean the "standby" button on the unit? That works fine on mine. If you are talking about the HUGE remote I think mine is still in the box, used the Harmony 880 from the start.
Cheers,
-R
post #112 of 120 Old 07-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Which do you think would sound better.... Two Orb Mod 2's (L&R) with phantom center, OR Mod1 L&R with Orb center?
post #113 of 120 Old 07-03-2006, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'd go with 3 Orb 1s across the front for home theater, two mod 2s for stereo.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #114 of 120 Old 07-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

One other thing what kind of sub are you running?

I'm using the super-8 sub..!
post #115 of 120 Old 07-03-2006, 01:48 PM

They're modular, so you can probably try it both ways.
post #116 of 120 Old 07-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just placed the order for 3 sets of Mod2's! I plan on mounting a speaker at each corner of my plasma (there are screws in back that should work well with the "cozy bracket"), screws are located right at the corners of the viewing area, so should look really cool. Then one Mod2 for a center. Just wish they had a matte black option, but easy to spray if they look to shiney to me.

Going to see how my Paradigm 70's sound as surrounds; any problem with the Mod2's 4 ohms and the Cinema 70's 8 ohms? Have an Athena AS-P4000 sub (and a Paradigm PDR8 that might work better with Orbs). I was torn between these Orbs and upgrading to Paradigm 110C and 90's (for much less$$), but for $18-$20 worth of shipping costs it seems these are worth a shot. I sure hope they're everything everyone raves about!
post #117 of 120 Old 07-04-2006, 12:42 PM

Subwoofer -

trying to figure this out here, I'm running the Mod2 setup with their sub, and I love the low end sound, on music, movies, etc - but there's one problem. When there's supposed to be a rumble, or thunder or something else, it sounds like complete ****! It's just this loud f'n rattle sound - is this normal? to me, it's just plain bothersome. I'm running a HK 635 with the auto EQ. Any help is much appreciated. thanks.
post #118 of 120 Old 03-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Outie - not sure if you're still around, but all the pics you posted in this thread have dead links now. Any chance of rehosting them? Thanks.
post #119 of 120 Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

I hope I didn't screw up. I purchased a set of Orb Audio satellite speakers.

I got a 7.1 system with their small (8") subwoofer. The front three channels (left, right and center) are dual element speakers. The other channels are single element speakers.

I went ahead with this despite the nearly total absence of user reviews (until I found this thread today) because they offer a 30 day "audition" (no questions asked return policy). If I like them, I keep them. If not, I send them back for a full refund. I am still at risk of damage while in transit.

I am going to give the wife veto power on the decision to keep them.

I did this because today I auditioned all my bookshelf speakers and was not happy with the sound. These speakers are great for music but were "lacking" with respect to speech (vocal content). What I mean is they reproduced everything. I am conditioned to like a narrow-bandwidth center channel for speech. I need a center channel.

Also, the bookshelf units don't like to be fed with deep, powerful bass. They are very "musical" and "transparent" but they are no that good for waterfalls and such that you find in movies. I plugged the rear ports with towelling and this helped a lot but I knew I was fighting a losing battle, so I ordered the sub and the sats today.

I will be feeding them with a SONY STR-DA5300ES AVR.

Am I crazy, or what?
post #120 of 120 Old 06-24-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Outie,

Rgds
barry

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add to this comment.

I've recently bought a set of Mod 2s for the center channel and am really finding the sound too thin, highly localised - the presence and sound stage isn't there. Did you find upgrading to Mod 4 for the center really improved this?

I'm very tempted to send mine back (30 day satisfaction guarantee!) and just go with the phantom center channel which my wife agrees sounds much better.

Cheers.

Felix
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page