Orb Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 120 Old 03-21-2006, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I am looking for a speaker system for my living room (details on size soon) and I am liking the orb audio speakers. How do they sound for music? Also what is everyone using to drive them? Id like to be able to use my reciever for controlling everything so the AVR 635 HK might be a good bet for me.

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 Old 03-21-2006, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Any ideas?

Chris
post #3 of 120 Old 03-21-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 120 Old 03-21-2006, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The Orbs sound great with music. Very coherent sound and they go very loud. Crossover is best around 150 but anything above 100 will work. They are quite efficient and can be driven by any receiver that puts out an honest 50 per channel. In a large room, the Mod2s work best. A small room will accommodate the Mod1s.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #5 of 120 Old 03-21-2006, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up! I am just about to place my order! I am thinking of using an HK AVR-635 to power the "Peoples Choice"

Chris
post #6 of 120 Old 03-21-2006, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's another thread going on with the Orbs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=658442

Russ
post #7 of 120 Old 03-22-2006, 03:41 AM

Here's a thread from another forum that helped me decide to try the Orbs. I have had mine a little over a year and still love them. I am amazed every time I crank them up at the quality and quantity of sound they produce. Good Luck.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/9497.html
post #8 of 120 Old 03-23-2006, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the links! I just ordered the "Peoples Choice" package and should be here next week

Its reciever time! Do yall think that the HK 635 would be a good match? If not can you suggest one.
post #9 of 120 Old 03-23-2006, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outie View Post

Thanks guys for the links! I just ordered the "Peoples Choice" package and should be here next week

Its reciever time! Do yall think that the HK 635 would be a good match? If not can you suggest one.

HK and the Orbs will be perfect together. It doesn't take much in the way of power to run them..they are very efficient. That's going to be one nice conversation piece, especially after people hear it!

Russ
post #10 of 120 Old 03-23-2006, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Going to order the AVR 635 then. I would wait until the AVR 640 hit the market but dont see the need for HDMI switching, plus it will probably be twice the price of the AVR 635...

Chris
post #11 of 120 Old 03-23-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Awesome! Going to order the AVR 635 then. I would wait until the AVR 640 hit the market but dont see the need for HDMI switching, plus it will probably be twice the price of the AVR 635...

Chris

I just did the same thing. Had the Orbs for a while but I ordered the 635 today for the exact same reason you did. Now, is there something tricky to the setup for the Orbs? It's kinda weird how they all wire together no? Is there a trick to this as I thought I read somewhere? Also, what kind/guage speaker wire should I get for the orbs? thanks all.
post #12 of 120 Old 03-23-2006, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2023 View Post

I just did the same thing. Had the Orbs for a while but I ordered the 635 today for the exact same reason you did. Now, is there something tricky to the setup for the Orbs? It's kinda weird how they all wire together no? Is there a trick to this as I thought I read somewhere? Also, what kind/guage speaker wire should I get for the orbs? thanks all.

Wiring to Orbs together is a snap, you will get wire to hook them up. Basically its 2 mall speaker wires (provided) and you will run red to red black to black. My mom did her own and she's 76 yrs old. Don't go any bigger than 14 g on the speaker wire you will understand this more when you see them in person. Bump this thread when you get them and tell us what you think. I know you will like them.

Russ
post #13 of 120 Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

Wiring to Orbs together is a snap, you will get wire to hook them up. Basically its 2 mall speaker wires (provided) and you will run red to red black to black. My mom did her own and she's 76 yrs old. Don't go any bigger than 14 g on the speaker wire you will understand this more when you see them in person. Bump this thread when you get them and tell us what you think. I know you will like them.

I have the orbs now, they're just not set up yet. It just seems weird that you have to push one wire in the bottom while trying not to push the connectiong wire out the other side unless I'm doing something wrong. If your mom pulled this off, I'm very impressed.
post #14 of 120 Old 03-23-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2023 View Post

I have the orbs now, they're just not set up yet. It just seems weird that you have to push one wire in the bottom while trying not to push the connectiong wire out the other side unless I'm doing something wrong. If your mom pulled this off, I'm very impressed.

She used 16g wire which Orb recommends unless you got some real long runs which make it alot easier. It took me a couple of trys to get the hang of it then it was smooth sailing.

Russ
post #15 of 120 Old 03-24-2006, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome I cant wait!! I just ordered everything and will report back next week with pictures and readouts from Avia!
post #16 of 120 Old 03-24-2006, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

QUESTION!

LOL sorry really excited aboutmy speakers coming in! I do want to JAM some rock music with the system so I figured I would buy two tower speakers for a 2.1 (utilizing the sub with the orb speakers) just for music. Agian the towers will be just for MUSIC, so knowing that and the fact I do not want to spend more then 500 on each speaker what would yall suggest. Again my HT system is the Orb Mod2 system.
post #17 of 120 Old 03-24-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

QUESTION!

LOL sorry really excited aboutmy speakers coming in! I do want to JAM some rock music with the system so I figured I would buy two tower speakers for a 2.1 (utilizing the sub with the orb speakers) just for music. Agian the towers will be just for MUSIC, so knowing that and the fact I do not want to spend more then 500 on each speaker what would yall suggest. Again my HT system is the Orb Mod2 system.

WAIT!!!!......Get your Mod 2's all set up and take a listen you might be surprised even more than you think with regards to the way they handle music. Don't get me wrong my main HT system has Paradigm Studio 100's which are floorstanders so I know where your coming from but let me just say this. Before I listened to some Orbs I was very skeptical, I second guess any audio purchase over 500 dollars incessantly but these things are keepers. These are the best sounding sub/sat speakers I've ever heard and they don't fall apart for music like most of the others in this category of speakers, just get these things in your house and hook them up you won't be disappointed

Russ
post #18 of 120 Old 03-24-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

You bet there gona be in my main HT room to accompany my 61" DLP tv Ok I will wait and see how they sound. Just saw NIN (nine inch nails) last night and man was it amazing. So want to reporduce some loud music.
post #19 of 120 Old 03-24-2006, 02:31 PM

I went and listened to Orb Audio Speakers here in L.A. 3 weeks ago and bought the Mod2 Home Theater Speaker System. (5.1) Had a friend hook it all upand they sound glorious with Movies (started with Top Gun), Live Sports Events and all kinds of music. From Bluegrass to Jazz and Hard Rock, my speakers ROCK! They're hanging from the corners of my living room with 2 satellites above my tv and it sounds great. This coming from someone who's never had true surround sound in a home before too. I'd recommend them to anyone.
post #20 of 120 Old 03-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagey View Post

I went and listened to Orb Audio Speakers here in L.A. 3 weeks ago and bought the Mod2 Home Theater Speaker System. (5.1) Had a friend hook it all upand they sound glorious with Movies (started with Top Gun), Live Sports Events and all kinds of music. From Bluegrass to Jazz and Hard Rock, my speakers ROCK! They're hanging from the corners of my living room with 2 satellites above my tv and it sounds great. This coming from someone who's never had true surround sound in a home before too. I'd recommend them to anyone.

pics please! i was thinking of mounting mine in the corners too since i have the plasma over the fireplace.
post #21 of 120 Old 03-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

yes pixs plz!

I am jealous and want to see the mounts, which ones you went with and why, and how happy with them you are.

I am having custom cabinets made (40' of them) to include the area around a projection screen. I am debating a pair of small custom shelves to hold Left and Right Mod 2's (copper) on boss stands, or use a wall or included mount.

I am so jealous, my room is still nothing but concrete floors and block walls. I will be doing the tile floors, studs, drywall, & trim. All a justification for 7k of HT toys!

Well I would love any pics and reviews.
post #22 of 120 Old 04-05-2006, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

CHolleman: Still love to see those pics!!!

Good news, everything should be delivered today!! I can't wait. UPS has the sub wonder what there going deliver it or not... But hey at least the speakers and recievers are "out for delivery" !! Woooohoooo
post #23 of 120 Old 04-05-2006, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

I go them!

Ran home during lunch and opened them up! Here are a few pics of the receiver and the speakers.

Receiver:

packaging:

out of the box:

post #24 of 120 Old 04-05-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Speakers:

packaging:

out of the box:

post #25 of 120 Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well,

I am impressed! 2 Channel Music blows me away. Still have yet to watch a movie but will tonight in pure DTS loven. So more results to come
post #26 of 120 Old 04-05-2006, 07:53 PM

Hey Outie, Congrats on the new system. Is that the gloss black color on the orbs? Looks like some colored specks on them, or is it just the pixs
post #27 of 120 Old 04-05-2006, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well,

I am impressed! 2 Channel Music blows me away. Still have yet to watch a movie but will tonight in pure DTS loven. So more results to come

I knew you would be happy with them. Did you get your sub yet?

Russ
post #28 of 120 Old 04-05-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby83 View Post

Hey Outie, Congrats on the new system. Is that the gloss black color on the orbs? Looks like some colored specks on them, or is it just the pixs

I own the black ones too. They are jet black high gloss. Here's another look at two of them as a center channel.
LL

Russ
post #29 of 120 Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Russ,

Yep got the subwoofer in the same say as well (super 8) and omg is it loud! lol. I have it set to less then half way atm. I just got finished setting it all up and time for bed ill get some pics up tomorrow.
post #30 of 120 Old 04-05-2006, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Russ,

Yep got the subwoofer in the same say as well (super 8) and omg is it loud! lol. I have it set to less then half way atm. I just got finished setting it all up and time for bed ill get some pics up tomorrow.

Everything will sound better after it gets broken in a bit, one other thing did you get the speaker crossovers set up alright. This is how they set them up at Orb and how I set mine.

ALL speakers set to small on receiver

Crossover on receiver set to 150hz (I know that sounds high but it works with the Super 8)

Off/Auto/ON switch on sub switched to on not auto (at lower volumes with Orb speakers sometimes the sub won't "wake up" in auto mode

Crossover on sub all the way up to 160hz (as far as it will go)

Sub Volume (however you like it, I have mine exactly half way)

0/180 Phase switch on 0

The sub will start to get a lot better sounding after its got some hours on it, but at any rate Gary Pelled from Orb who designed all this stuff suggests these settings and I looked for my self last time I was in the So Cal store and can confirm this.

Russ
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page