Quad Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Speakers > Quad Owners Thread
bobinnv's Avatar bobinnv 03:37 PM 03-27-2008
I find I am continually playing around with the placement of my 22Ls, looking for the "best" position. Currently, I have them about 9 feet apart, and about 18 inches from the back wall; my listening position is about 13 feet from the speakers. I have the speakers toed in at around 40%. I am trying to maximize the 'sweet spot' so that anyone sitting on a couch 13 feet away get the best possible soundstage and imaging.

So I am curious how others have set up their Quads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
strike55's Avatar strike55 08:47 AM 03-31-2008
hi all,

wld like to know the difference btw the Quad L series and Quad L2 series. Does anyone has any first hand experience with these 2 speakers?
chazk13's Avatar chazk13 11:51 AM 03-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike55 View Post

hi all,

wld like to know the difference btw the Quad L series and Quad L2 series. Does anyone has any first hand experience with these 2 speakers?

L2 has better binding posts and the floor standing models have a better/more stable base.

Supposedly the tweeter has been upgraded on the L2 series but can not comment on the sonic differences.
strike55's Avatar strike55 09:01 PM 03-31-2008
i am contemplating between the Quad 12L and 12L2. I hv listened to the Quad 12L, sounds fine to me. hv no chance to listen to the 12L2 though. i wun mind paying more for 12L2 if it sounds better. anyone else can advise?
kojebee's Avatar kojebee 05:59 AM 04-07-2008
Hi Quad experts.

I've recently bought the Quad 22L2 and Quad 12L2.

Now, I'm looking to upgrade my receiver. I currently use a basic Marantz SR-4600, which has done me proud, but feel better amplification will help my Quads shine a little further.

I have a budget of $1500, I use the system for 80% music, 20% movies and use an Oppo DV977KR DVD player for both music and movies. Hopefully I'll upgrade that later on this year.

Any ideas on a receiver?

Thanks a lot.
chazk13's Avatar chazk13 03:33 PM 04-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojebee View Post

Hi Quad experts.

I've recently bought the Quad 22L2 and Quad 12L2.

Now, I'm looking to upgrade my receiver. I currently use a basic Marantz SR-4600, which has done me proud, but feel better amplification will help my Quads shine a little further.

I have a budget of $1500, I use the system for 80% music, 20% movies and use an Oppo DV977KR DVD player for both music and movies. Hopefully I'll upgrade that later on this year.

Any ideas on a receiver?

Thanks a lot.

If I were in your shoes and on board decoding of new audio codecs was not a big deal to me I'd stretch a little an get a used arcam avr350, or you could stay under budget and get a used avr300.
kojebee's Avatar kojebee 05:15 PM 04-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazk13 View Post

If I were in your shoes and on board decoding of new audio codecs was not a big deal to me I'd stretch a little an get a used arcam avr350, or you could stay under budget and get a used avr300.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look at the avr300, as I've seen that available in Korea, where I am.
zoney99's Avatar zoney99 07:52 PM 04-08-2008
I like the Quad forum: nice, mild, non-confrontational, relaxed. Nice.
SUNSETFOX's Avatar SUNSETFOX 03:28 PM 04-11-2008
Have you considered getting a tube amp. or a hybrid tube amp.? I have also upgraded my system recently with a pair of Quad 12L2 with Jolida 1501A hybrid Integrated tube amp. with great results.
henruss's Avatar henruss 03:15 PM 05-05-2008
Hello,
I have a pair of new Quad 22L2s on the way! I am considering the Marantz SR7002/8002. I value the new codecs and Marantz's reputation for quality sound. I would like your opinion re whether or not I need the 8002 rather than the 7002 to obtain good sound quality from the Quads (realizing there is about a 300-400 dollar price difference). Thanks very much!

HR
MAJORAE's Avatar MAJORAE 08:29 AM 05-12-2008
I just picked up a new pair of Quad 21l2s- previously I have had 12l, 21l, 22l, and 12l Active. All for 2 channel music listening- I am not an HT guy. I still have my actives and passive 12ls.

I have to say that the L2 series seems to be a substantial improvement over the original L series- a couple of small changes add up to make a better overall speaker. There is no question that the binding posts are worlds better than on the original Ls, also I like the plinth/leveling system that the speakers use- ala Soliloquy which is extremely nice. Fit in finish overall appears unchanged- top notch.

Most importantly however is the sound. The L2s seem to be a little bit more transparent and resolving. I have a highly modified poair of Magnepans and I was shocked to hear that the 21L2s hung right in there with them in regards to soundstage depth and transparency. The Maggies may have slighty outdone them in both regards but it was close and considering what maggies need to sound their best the Quads are a no brainer IMO.

The 21l2s have significantly better bass than the Maggies and also have better pin point imaging- imaging is definitely one of the greatest virtues of the Quad L series in general.

I am very happy with these, and while I did not have a first gen pair of 21ls to A/B them against- my memory tells me that the L2 is another step forward and brings the line to a new level of performance. Certainly, my 12ls that I still have are not as refined, transparent or resolving.
dustinnguyen's Avatar dustinnguyen 09:48 PM 07-18-2008
I just got a pair of Quad 22L2 and matching L Center today. WOW ... beautiful speakers and awesome sound. The sound stage is incredible, and the speakers just disappear from the room. If you didn't know where the speakers were placed in the room, you wouldn't know where all the sound was coming from. Oh man, listening to piano solos was real, as if I was sitting next to the piano. And the kicker is, I am driving this only with an Onkyo tx-sr805. I will be getting an amp to drive these soon (using the 805 as a preamp), and I think the sound will be even better.

Love it.
JohnFR's Avatar JohnFR 03:07 PM 07-19-2008
I've been listening to a number of speakers below 3k and was impressed by the 22ls. I hope to go back next week for a second listen armed with a CD of demo stuff I've put together. (Interested in hearing how they handle some of my pipe organ tracks).

These are some of the least expensive floorstanders I've auditioned, but stand up well against higher-priced competition (judging from a single listening). I've got a line a pair of piano black demo pair that can be had at a substantial discount, which would leave me money to buy the Quad sub that mates with them. For the time being I will be driving them with a Denon 3803 until I can get a separate amp.

I 've read a number of times these speakers are sensitive to placement. In my HT, they would be about 6 1/2' apart from the center of each speakers and about 17" from the wall measured from the back of the speakers. The listening position is about 9' away. I currently have B&W 602s in this position and tend to toe them in a tad. Anyone see any problems?

I'm hoping this dealer will let me take them home to demo, but I dunno. He might want me to buy them and offer a return period, which I don't prefer to do.
chazk13's Avatar chazk13 03:53 PM 07-19-2008
It is the rear ported design as much as the particular speaker itself that lends to the placement issues you've read about.

I've been enjoying my 22l's for a few years now, in similar position as yours.

My pre/pro has Audessy EQ which really helped clean them up a bit.

Overall, very happy with my quads, though i do have the upgrade bug again.
jostenmeat's Avatar jostenmeat 04:05 PM 07-19-2008
My first visit to the Quad owner's thread...

By any chance.... are there any owners of old school Quad electrostats? Hopefully in the southern California area? cheers.
bobinnv's Avatar bobinnv 05:26 PM 07-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFR View Post

I've been listening to a number of speakers below 3k and was impressed by the 22ls. I hope to go back next week for a second listen armed with a CD of demo stuff I've put together. (Interested in hearing how they handle some of my pipe organ tracks).

These are some of the least expensive floorstanders I've auditioned, but stand up well against higher-priced competition (judging from a single listening). I've got a line a pair of piano black demo pair that can be had at a substantial discount, which would leave me money to buy the Quad sub that mates with them. For the time being I will be driving them with a Denon 3803 until I can get a separate amp.

I 've read a number of times these speakers are sensitive to placement. In my HT, they would be about 6 1/2' apart from the center of each speakers and about 17" from the wall measured from the back of the speakers. The listening position is about 9' away. I currently have B&W 602s in this position and tend to toe them in a tad. Anyone see any problems?

I'm hoping this dealer will let me take them home to demo, but I dunno. He might want me to buy them and offer a return period, which I don't prefer to do.

I found my Quads sounded best when following the "rule of thirds" - each speaker is equidistant from the nearest wall and the other speaker. I also think they sound better as far from the back wall as possible, mine sound good at about 32 inches (measured from the grill) from the wall, but sound even better further away. But further away they are in the middle of my living room :-)
juicyj's Avatar juicyj 07:41 PM 07-19-2008
Just in case you guys havent noticed, i have a pair of quad 22L's for sale in the classifieds. Price is very low because i need to sell them fast. Check it out.
JohnFR's Avatar JohnFR 08:25 PM 07-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinnv View Post

I found my Quads sounded best when following the "rule of thirds" - each speaker is equidistant from the nearest wall and the other speaker. I also think they sound better as far from the back wall as possible, mine sound good at about 32 inches (measured from the grill) from the wall, but sound even better further away. But further away they are in the middle of my living room :-)

Yea I agree with you. I used to have decent rectangular HT room in a house I sold a couple of years ago, and had a set-up where my speakers were a little under 3' from the front wall and well away from the side walls. That's the way it should be. But now I live in a loft apartment in an old tobacco warehouse with 18' ceilings and an odd-shaped living room that has limited options for placement of my HT setup. However, I can probably move things out from the wall a little if necessary. Nothing in this place will be ideal because of acoustic issues, but I have managed to get a decent soundstage out of my B&Ws so long as I stay put in my chair. The biggest problem is that the room makes the speakers sound overly bright. The Quads sounded significantly less bright than the B&Ws so I hope they'll perform a little better in here.
JohnFR's Avatar JohnFR 08:40 PM 07-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyj View Post

Just in case you guys havent noticed, i have a pair of quad 22L's for sale in the classifieds. Price is very low because i need to sell them fast. Check it out.

Yes I did notice and sent you a PM earlier today to which you replied. I just sent you another PM.
ghause's Avatar ghause 06:06 PM 09-05-2008
I need stands for my 12l2s. I just put them on a pair of cinder blocks and the WAF is pretty low. Suggestions?
lefty5432's Avatar lefty5432 12:02 PM 09-27-2008
I am looking for a new pair of speakers. I like a warm, smooth sound. I like Vienna Acoustics, but they are over my budget. I have read that the Quad have a warm sound, is that true? I have a Marantz 5002 receiver with 90wpc, will that be enough to drive the 12L2 speakers I am interested in. I want to stay at around $1000 for a pair of bookshelf speakers.
TheDudeAbides's Avatar TheDudeAbides 06:46 PM 10-04-2008
I purchased Quads at the beginning of 2008 and been listening to them pretty consistently ever since; in fact, they inspired me to go into vinyl--I bought a very nice turntable and have been skimming adds for good recordings. In any event, the sound on two channel with vinyl is unbelievable... I am hooked. The TT has a problem playing out of both speakers consistently for some reason (it's a used TT), but when it hits both, it's jaw-dropping.

Everyone comments on the birds eye finish--they really did an excellent job with the finish, IMHO...

As others have said however, my only gripe is the center channel... it's terribly weak. We end up having to crank the volume up in order to hear dialogue. I will be looking into the Wharfdale Opus Center, so if anyone finds a good deal, please shoot me a PM
ghause's Avatar ghause 10:52 AM 10-10-2008
I had center channel complaints before I treated my room. Once I tamed those first reflections the dialog popped right out. That said I think one of my woofers might be blown. I was getting distortion with a white nose test tone.
Veda's Avatar Veda 11:06 AM 10-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty5432 View Post

I am looking for a new pair of speakers. I like a warm, smooth sound. I like Vienna Acoustics, but they are over my budget. I have read that the Quad have a warm sound, is that true? I have a Marantz 5002 receiver with 90wpc, will that be enough to drive the 12L2 speakers I am interested in. I want to stay at around $1000 for a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Quad L2 line? Hardly, I'd say accurate far from warm. PSB's are smoother and fuller on the midrange.
ShredFIN's Avatar ShredFIN 02:47 PM 10-10-2008
Quad 12L2 might not be as warm as some other speakers but i personally think that it is well balanced and joy to listen to.

I built my 5.1 system from three Quad 12L2 speakers, two Quad L-ite speakers and an SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer.
All speakers are Piano Black and i must say that the looks are as good as the sound (which is just fabulous).
Now i just have to wait to get my tax returns and buy a decent AV amplifier to replace my outdated Yamaha.
yusoslo's Avatar yusoslo 07:26 PM 11-06-2008
bought some 11L2's today and wow I am impressed by their detail, warmth and vocal punch. I cannot believe the sounds I am hearing from songs I have heard hundreds of times.

They blew away the competition at the store up into the 1500 range the only other better speaker was the 22L but for a small room and a good sub they are well worth the 700 bucks I paid with stands the beautiful white wood finish. I may have to get the quad sub just to match the looks
moematthews's Avatar moematthews 06:12 PM 11-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojebee View Post

Hi Quad experts.

I've recently bought the Quad 22L2 and Quad 12L2.

Now, I'm looking to upgrade my receiver. I currently use a basic Marantz SR-4600, which has done me proud, but feel better amplification will help my Quads shine a little further.

I have a budget of $1500, I use the system for 80% music, 20% movies and use an Oppo DV977KR DVD player for both music and movies. Hopefully I'll upgrade that later on this year.

Any ideas on a receiver?

Thanks a lot.

I have just completed bi-amping my 22Ls with my Marantz SR8001. I only had them bi-wired before, and I have noticed a slightly more open midrange and a more dramatic low end with bi-amping. Either way, the sound has been fantastic. Like me, you are a music guy first, and the Marantz line really delivers on that score. I don't think you can get the new SR8002 within your budget, but I'm guessing the SR7002 is attainable. The SR8001 does not offer onboard decoding of HD codecs, but it does offer just about everything else. See if you can find a gently used one, if that suits your purposes. The "8000" series offers some important differences over the "7000" series, and you'd do well to consider stretching your budget. To me, the SR8001 is a better-sounding receiver than the SR8500 it replaced, although the latter was no slouch.
moematthews's Avatar moematthews 06:19 PM 11-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by henruss View Post

Hello,
I have a pair of new Quad 22L2s on the way! I am considering the Marantz SR7002/8002. I value the new codecs and Marantz's reputation for quality sound. I would like your opinion re whether or not I need the 8002 rather than the 7002 to obtain good sound quality from the Quads (realizing there is about a 300-400 dollar price difference). Thanks very much!

HR

Geez - see the post I just submitted above.

Personally, I feel the SR8001 is a tremendous match for my Quad 22Ls, and that has been improved with bi-amping. No reason to think that would change with the SR8002. I would spend the extra $$ and go for the SR8002, as these speakers will definitely reveal extra quality in the source components. I'm guessing the 22L2s will be even better in that regard.
facesnorth's Avatar facesnorth 05:00 PM 11-18-2008
Would like to know what other speakers you Quad owners have auditioned and why you ended up choosing the Quad's?

I did not audition as many as I probably should have.

Revel F32's & M22's which I actually preferred but were out of my price range.
Anthony Gallo nucleus micro's, which I preferred even the L-ite's over.
Polk LSi15's which were nice but pricey and I didn't like the appearance.
A few others including models from JBL, Mirage, Focal, and Martin Logan, none of which I liked as much as the Quad's. And Sonus Faber which were all awesome but way out of $ range.

The Quad's I thought had a very classy appearance, and I liked the neutrality of the sound. Also the price was right.

Going forward I think the sensitivity is a little too low for my big room, so I am considering upgrading in the near future. Also the center is definitely too weak for my tastes. I can barely make out dialogue a lot of the time, and I don't feel it matches the 22L2's perfectly. I loved the Revel's if I want to spend a little more, but have been looking at a lot of the ID brands also, and wondering how they all compare.

FYI I use 22L2's for fronts, L2 center, and 4 L-ite surrounds. I use dual MFW-15 subs. Hooked up to a Sherbourne 7/2100a for power.
ghause's Avatar ghause 06:37 PM 11-18-2008
I listened to B&W, Focal, Totem, Kef, Wilson (just for fun). Quads look great, they sound great, if you are patient they pop up on the gon at great prices. For what they cost I could have not done better. Frankly even if I could have afforded the Wilsons (they were Watt Puppy or Sophia with Naim gear) I don't think I would be thousnads of dollars happier.

I set a budget and bought what I liked while staying in that limit. The only upgrade I forsee is a pair of electrostats when I hit the lotto. (22l2, l2 12l2, lites)

Try taming your room a little if you are unhappy with the Center. That lack of clarity could be a room problem more than a speaker problem.
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop