Quad Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 255 Old 10-06-2009, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all,

i am a proud user of a pair 22L since a year, but now i wanna upgrade to a 5.1 setup. the problem is that i can´t get a pair 12L or 11L not to mention the old L center in europe.

First question: is it possible to mix the stand speakers 22l with a center from the new L2 line ?

Second question: would it be better to use a compact speaker (11L2, 12L2, 11L, 12L) instead of the "normal" center ?

Third question: are the quad lite speakers good enough to be used as back surround speakers with my setup, or should i choose the bigger ones (11L, 12L)?

i hope someone can help me.

regards
taubenspikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 255 Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubenspikes View Post

hi all,

i am a proud user of a pair 22L since a year, but now i wanna upgrade to a 5.1 setup. the problem is that i can´t get a pair 12L or 11L not to mention the old L center in europe.

First question: is it possible to mix the stand speakers 22l with a center from the new L2 line ?

Second question: would it be better to use a compact speaker (11L2, 12L2, 11L, 12L) instead of the "normal" center ?

Third question: are the quad lite speakers good enough to be used as back surround speakers with my setup, or should i choose the bigger ones (11L, 12L)?

i hope someone can help me.

regards
taubenspikes.

I have 22L's and use the L2 center and it's no problem.

As far as using the 12 or 11 as a center, it would be fine as long as the speaker is vertically oriented. Some speakers have the driver array designed in such a way that they can be set vertically or horizontally but not the quads.

Can't say for sure about using the lites as surrounds, but my guess is that they would work fine.
post #183 of 255 Old 10-06-2009, 10:18 AM

thanks for your help, but i have another question, is it possible to mount the bookshelf speaker (11l, 12l) directly to the wall for using them as surround speakers, or need them a little space to breath through the bass tubes ? and what about the small quad-lites ? have they a bass tube ?
post #184 of 255 Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:

thanks for your help, but i have another question, is it possible to mount the bookshelf speaker (11l, 12l) directly to the wall for using them as surround speakers, or need them a little space to breath through the bass tubes ? and what about the small quad-lites ? have they a bass tube ?

It is highly inadvisable to mount any rear ported speaker directly to the wall. I'm not sure if the lites have "bass tubes", but you could probably figure it out for yourself with about 30 seconds of Internet research. The rest of line is ported I'd imagine they are as well.
post #185 of 255 Old 10-13-2009, 01:32 AM

the lite speakers have a tuve too.

another question, what are the differences between the old L series and the new one L2 ?

my dealer has only the new line in stock. on ebay i have found some from the old serie (l11, l22) but no center. it is very frustrating for me. so maybe i have to order some speakers from the new line.
post #186 of 255 Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 AM

First of all it's not called a bass tube.

Second of all, this thread is not very long and if you would take the time to read it you would get answers to most of your questions.

Your front soundstage will be seamless if you mix the old and new. Main differences are slightly different tweeter design, wider base for floorstanding models and better binding posts on the new models.

If you have your heart set on the old series try used on audiogon.
post #187 of 255 Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:

I have my lites wall mounted. They have a threaded insert making this very easy. They are bass light and I don't think you will have any breathing problems. I think the brackets are from speakercraft.

The 12l has a plinth on the bottom, it would be difficult to wall-mount.
post #188 of 255 Old 10-21-2009, 06:57 AM

i have found a retailer which has a quad l center in stock, but its very hard to get a pair of 12l, only 12l2 and i dont know if they will fit my claims.

what do you think ? i need them for the rear. are they brighter than the old L series ?
post #189 of 255 Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:

i have found a retailer which has a quad l center in stock, but its very hard to get a pair of 12l, only 12l2 and i dont know if they will fit my claims.

what do you think ? i need them for the rear. are they brighter than the old L series ?

I don't know what to tell you other than what I've already said...I'm mixing the L's and the L2's across the front and notice no difference in the presentation. Mixing and matching for the rears will be NO Problem. Keeping the front soundstage unified is important but many people mix for the rear channels. I use quad-pole speakers from another manufacturer for my rears.
post #190 of 255 Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 AM

i hope you are right. the l2 series isn´t too harsh ?

its only the looking which has been changed ? not the sound ?

because i had a set of monitor audio rs8 and after one hour of listining my ears have been bleeding.

so i will order a pair 12l2.
post #191 of 255 Old 10-29-2009, 11:29 PM

#update#

i had ordered a pair 9l2 for my hometheater as rear/front high and had run them for the last 12 hours in stereo mode. i hadn´t know that this little speakers sounds so amazing. a difference in sound is noticeable against the old l series. i will report more after some listening sessions.
post #192 of 255 Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 AM

if some is searching for the legendary 10L, i have found a pair on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:SS:DE:1123
post #193 of 255 Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM

hi everybody, I'm new in here my name is Luca and I'm Italian

I own 12L's driven by an Aeron A160 and a Nad 521BEE since 2007 and I haven't found anything that come close to this! Quad always recreate the soundstage precisly and mid-highs are very very accurate.

For my new house (i'm going to get married next July) this evening I bought a pair or 21L2 a center L2 and a sub L2 I'm very very happy!

Now for the 5+1 amplifier, they have suggested me the NAD T785 but it's just too expensive for me, I need to stay around 2000. Maybe Denon 3808? or Pioneer?Yamaha?Onkio?Cambridge Audio? Many of you have Acram AVR 300....

My doubt is that I can't test anything at home, only trust in owners advices.

Thanks for listening to me and thanks to those who can help me
Luca
post #194 of 255 Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 AM

i have a set of 22l + l centre + 2* 9l2 driven with a onkyo 807.
the surround sound is amazing. stereo is ok - for radio fine, for cd i prefere my audiolab 8000s stereo amp.

where have you bought the 12l and how much habe they cost ?
post #195 of 255 Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:

i have a set of 22l + l centre + 2* 9l2 driven with a onkyo 807.
the surround sound is amazing. stereo is ok - for radio fine, for cd i prefere my audiolab 8000s stereo amp.

where have you bought the 12l and how much habe they cost ?

oh well my 12L are 5 years old and I hve bought them in a shop here in Italy that doesn't exist anymore

I was also thinking about Nad 747...
post #196 of 255 Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM

If you guys had the choice between a used set of 12Ls, and a demo set of 11L2s, which would you choose?
post #197 of 255 Old 11-26-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_McBob View Post

If you guys had the choice between a used set of 12Ls, and a demo set of 11L2s, which would you choose?

How big is your room? What would you be using them for?
post #198 of 255 Old 11-26-2009, 12:26 PM

My room is pretty large right now, but it's quite variable because I move around every few months. I want a nice pair of basic stereo speakers that won't take up a lot of space. I'm mainly interested in them for music, and I mostly listen to rock and classical. Both options are around the same sort of price.
post #199 of 255 Old 12-01-2009, 05:01 AM

remember that both speakers needs a lot of free room to their back.
min. 50 cm - if not you could have problems with the bass.

p.s.: i would buy the 12l
post #200 of 255 Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 AM

I'm looking for recommendations on integrated amps for Quad 21L speakers. Also how well do tube amps pair with these speakers?
My budget is $2500.

Thanks.
post #201 of 255 Old 01-08-2010, 06:57 PM

taubenspikes,
How are the Quad speakers working out for you. I, too, have Monitor Audio RS speakers that I find too bright and hurt my ears. I am afraid to spend more money on new speakers. Are the Quads more warm and smooth and easy to listen to? That is what I am looking for, a speaker that I can listen to all day.
post #202 of 255 Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM

lefty5432,
I had auditioned the Monitor Silvers in Bay Area. They were good speakers. But not something I was looking for. I suggest that you audition the Quad 21L2 or 21L series. I am sure you will be interested in these speakers. They are pretty neutral and sound very natural. Absolutely a thrill and pleasure to listen to.

Umboppam
Check out some powerful NADs and other integrated amps to go with the Quads. I also understand that tubes do go well with the Quads. Kent Johnson at positive-review.com has the Quad 21L2s and have found them to go well with tubes. Check his personal site: http://twochannelaudio.com/. Here he has reviewed the Quad 21L2 and some amps that he liked with them.

I have recently upgraded to Parasound A21, and am amazed how the Quads sing with them :-)
post #203 of 255 Old 01-26-2010, 01:59 PM

I seem to have a problem with one speaker, where from time to time (twice in the last year) the midrange driver stops working. Thinking maybe it is a loose connection, I removed the grill, then removed the screws holding the midrange in place. But then I was stuck - the unit doesn't just pop out, it is somewhat recessed into the wood of the speaker, and it wasn't obvious how to get it out.

It is working again, which still makes me think it is a loose connections that I 'fixed' fiddling with it. But I would like to know how to properly remove and examine that unit. Anyone done this? Or any other ideas what might make that midrange unit drop out from time to time?

TIA
post #204 of 255 Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinnv View Post

Anyone done this? Or any other ideas what might make that midrange unit drop out from time to time?

There is gasket tape behind the drivers, they won't just fall out. I used a really thin putty knife with a piece of cereal box cardboard behind it, to prevent damaging the finish, to gently pop one out.

I had a similar problem with a tweeter. The xover had gotten loose where it attaches to the binding posts. If you are dealing with a floorstander you might want to give Taiga a call, they might have a better idea.
post #205 of 255 Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghause View Post

There is gasket tape behind the drivers, they won't just fall out. I used a really thin putty knife with a piece of cereal box cardboard behind it, to prevent damaging the finish, to gently pop one out.

I had a similar problem with a tweeter. The xover had gotten loose where it attaches to the binding posts. If you are dealing with a floorstander you might want to give Taiga a call, they might have a better idea.

Thanks for the input.. I'll give it a try and report back.
post #206 of 255 Old 02-02-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinnv View Post

Thanks for the input.. I'll give it a try and report back.

I was able to remove the midrange unit, using a skinny piece of plastic to pry it out. There was no gasket, the driver was just fit exactly to the cutout in the speaker. Very simple inside, and I found that by wiggling one of the wires where it is attached to the binding post, I could make the sound cut out. I think it is a kink in the wire. Now that I know what the problem is, I just put everything back, making sure there is no kink.

It is a bit awkward holding the driver in one hand while using my other hand to move the wires, so I didn't attempt a more permanent fix. If the problem occurs again, I will re-wire the connection so there is no possibility of it happening anymore.
post #207 of 255 Old 02-03-2010, 02:26 AM

So I see this thread gets a relatively low amount of activity compared to many other brand threads, but hopefully somebody with 22L2 experience can help me out with this.

For the last month or so I've been auditioning speakers in the $1000 range. I'm hoping for an alive soundstage (which knocked the Energy RC50's out of the running) without being overly so to my better-half's ears (sorry Maggies).

We listen to a lot of singer/songwriters, both male and female, raggae, rock and roll, house/dubstep, fusion, and classical. In other words, I'm searching for that well rounded speaker-on-a-budget (aren't we all?).

Without hearing them, I'd almost compiled enough information to feel comfortable about purchasing PSB T65's from Saturday. I went to a local PSB dealer and was able to audition T45's (a far cry from the T65's, I know). Impressed with the price point, but not blown away, figuring the T65's would be able to pick up the bass with three larger drivers.

However, the dealer is also a Quad dealer, and offered me a pretty agressive buy on a new pair of 22L2's. I had crossed them off the list for budget reasons, but they've made these speakers attainable.

My inquiry is two fold:

1. Are these speakers well rounded enough to handle almost any type of music thrown at them, and if there are any limitations, what are they in your opinions?

2. Am I looking at too good of a speaker to drive bi-amped with my new Onkyo TX-SR607 for the time being.

They will be filling a 14 X 20 room with 10ft ceilings, placed on the 14ft wall roughly 2ft out and 7ft apart, flanking my television. Listening levels will be low to moderate, with the occational bump for HT use.

Thanks for the help Quad fans!

now with more pops n thuds
post #208 of 255 Old 02-03-2010, 02:42 PM

anyone?

post #209 of 255 Old 02-12-2010, 08:36 PM

propboyblu,
The Quads are superb speakers and can handle any music you throw at them. I own the 21L for the past 4 1/2 years an could not be happier. Amazing speakers with matching ancillaries. Your room dimensions and positioning of the speakers would be ideal for the Quads. Make sure to toe them in a bit. Watching movies with the speakers flanking them is fine. But for a good stereo effect, cover the TV with a rug or a thick blanket to avoid reflections. This is true for ANY loudspeakers, not just the Quads.
I say, if you can afford them, just get the Quads.
post #210 of 255 Old 02-14-2010, 02:41 AM

Hey milpai

Thank you very much for the tip. I actually purchased a pair of new 22L's on Tuesday, and can say they are breaking in quite nicely!

It was hard to do, but I kept the listening levels at low to moderate for the first few days, letting them play overnight at low levels on Wednesday and Friday nights. They've probably played 40 hours or so, and are now really starting to open up. I finally bi-amped them today and seem to be enjoying a bit more clarity on the mid-to-high frequencies.

I'll post pictures of the setup and measurements as soon as I get a chance. So far, I couldn't be much happier, especially for the money!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page