ACI (essence) or Tyler Acous. (freedom) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 47 Old 04-17-2006, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of going with one of these speaker lines which I believe are internet direct. I have owned internet direct speakers in the past, Rockets (550's 200). I will be purchasing only the front 3 speakers for now. Either the Essence V's from Aci or the Freedom F-3's and the Fc-2 from Tyler Acoustics.

Both of these brands get good reviews. They use the silk dome or vifa ring tweeters which I think will give a more softer sound. I am not big on the in your face sound that sometimes comes from metal tweeters.
I have plenty of power to throw at them in my 16'x22' room. I have a Newcastle R965 and a b&k amp if that doesn't do the trick.

Anyone have anything to add about these two lines of speakers I would appreciate the insight.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 04-17-2006, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have some freedoms and they are very similar to the Onix Reference 1. The tweeters are almost the same but they use different woofers. Still close is close. I would love to hear some of Tylers higher end stuff compared to the ACI products however.

Seth

my signature < -- While that looks simple enough, click it for answers to many a question.
post #3 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 12:39 AM

Tyler has the best high quality stuff (drivers) at a third of the price for high end gear.
I just purchased Linbrook Monitors used at a very good price. The used stuff can be a better sounding speaker then the brand new stuff because, there will be more breaking in time and with these speakers the more they are used the better they sound. Tyler will make sure they look and sound right before he sends them out.
Taylo Reference Monitors at $1200 sounds like a good in between price. Give him a call I am sure he could give a better deal he did for me.

post #4 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have had a Linbrook setup in my home for the past few months now. I thought my Klipsch Reference setup was really good (RF7 towers, RC7 center, RS7 surrounds) and they don't even hold a candle to my Linbrook setup. You really feel like you are in the movie when you watch it. Music is now enjoyable to listen to. My speakers have the more "in your face" tweeter of all the speakers he makes and they are still pretty laid back. The build quality is superb and I don't know if you can get any better customer service than Ty. I know he has a return policy if you don't like em, so you can't really go wrong.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #5 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas
I have some freedoms and they are very similar to the Onix Reference 1. The tweeters are almost the same but they use different woofers. Still close is close. I would love to hear some of Tylers higher end stuff compared to the ACI products however.

Seth
Having owned the Onix Rockets. I liked the sound of the Rockets. I have heard that the Rockets sound very different than the reference line. I am worried that if the freedoms sound similar to the ref's they may not be what I am looking for.

Seth, do you have a center channel? If so how does it perform? I am about 60/40 movies/music.

Dan
post #6 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi,
I do not have a center. The similarities are basically the vifa tweeter and its characteristics. Obviously everything else about the speakers are different. The freedoms aren't as bassy as the reference 1's but that is either good or bad depending on your situation and personal preference (obviously if you run with a really good sub it doesn't matter).
I am partial to the vifa because of its smoothness. I have wood floors and only a small throw rug (5x7) between the listener and speakers so bright speakers are harsh on the ears. HOWEVER, I have heard my speakers in an all carpeted room and they sound dull (please note that they are not 'dull' speakers, just compared to being in a very 'live' room they don't sparkle as much). This is where the crossover design will get you and this is where the reference are separate from the regular rockets and from the tylers. You need to decide which are great for your room.

Right now I'm stuck because I want to move my speakers into the furniture but can't mess with the crossovers of the rockets/reference (I'm going to have to call ty to see if this can be done on his setups). I have tested with the placement and while the imaging stays fine (as long as I keep the baffle of the speakers flush with the edge of the furniture) the sound goes to crap. I need to have the crossovers tweaked for the 'in cabinet' placement. PSB has its platinum line with this as an option but 1) it is double the price and 2) I have no idea if I'll like the sound and there is no where to demo this for literally hundreds of miles.
At the PSB price I'd rather go ACI, but ACI told me their speakers sound the same in cabinet and out which doesn't make any sense.

Seth

my signature < -- While that looks simple enough, click it for answers to many a question.
post #7 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Seth. I talked to Ty for about 30 minutes today. He is a nice down to earth guy. Seems like he will go out of his way to make sure you are happy with his products. I may go small at first and order the Freedom 3's and a Fc-2 center.

Dan
post #8 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I can't see you going wrong with either choice. If you go with the Tylers, please post your thoughts.
post #9 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan711
Thanks for the info Seth. I talked to Ty for about 30 minutes today. He is a nice down to earth guy. Seems like he will go out of his way to make sure you are happy with his products. I may go small at first and order the Freedom 3's and a Fc-2 center.

Dan
Ty is a very nice guy. Have met him and got to see his operation first hand. The Freedom Line is good BUT the Taylo Reference Monitors are much better. Furthermore, the Linbrook Signature Monitors are the absolute BEST speakers I have heard to date. Tyler Acoustics is less than 30 miles from my home and I plan on giving Ty another visit in the very near future. He is a class act and his speakers are "THE REAL DEAL".
post #10 of 47 Old 04-19-2006, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38
Ty is a very nice guy. Have met him and got to see his operation first hand. The Freedom Line is good BUT the Taylo Reference Monitors are much better. Furthermore, the Linbrook Signature Monitors are the absolute BEST speakers I have heard to date. Tyler Acoustics is less than 30 miles from my home and I plan on giving Ty another visit in the very near future. He is a class act and his speakers are "THE REAL DEAL".
Upon speaking with Ty again. He gave me a great deal on what I think will be a very nice setup. A pair of Taylo 7u's and the Taylo center. Sure wish I could go with the Linbrook line.
post #11 of 47 Old 04-19-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Upon speaking with Ty again. He gave me a great deal on what I think will be a very nice setup. A pair of Taylo 7u's and the Taylo center. Sure wish I could go with the Linbrook line.
Sweet!, if I didn't just pay taxes I'd give him a call to see if he was in a good mood.

Just in case you didn't know, your getting a speaker with arguably the best midwoofer and one of the 3 or 4 best dome tweeters available today. Plus I understand the wood working is phenomenal and the crossover voicing perfect. I am so envious. Enjoy.
post #12 of 47 Old 04-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Does anybody here have these speaker for Home Theater.
They do look sweet would like to hear them.
Allen
post #13 of 47 Old 04-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think I'm getting the F-5, FC-2 and the F-3 for rears. Haven't made up my mind yet. I was looking at getting Onix Ref 3 (mains) & Ref 1.8's for the rears, but I can't find any demo.

I did get a chance to hear a pair of Linbrook Signature System 1 piece.

All I can say is that I was blown away...... These speakers are the best that I've heard to date....

Anyway I think I'll choose Ty's speakers over Onix because of Ty himself.. Great person to deal with..

Anyway I'm sure the Freedom line is an excellent group of speakers.

Just look at Joseph Audio, it use's the same driver as the Freedom Line.

http://www.josephaudio.com/product.rm25simk2.html

I think Ty's speakers are an extrodinary value..

Regards,
Jose
post #14 of 47 Old 04-19-2006, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I am thinking of going with one of these speaker lines which I believe are internet direct. I have owned internet direct speakers in the past, Rockets (550's 200). I will be purchasing only the front 3 speakers for now. Either the Essence V's from Aci or the Freedom F-3's and the Fc-2 from Tyler Acoustics.

Both of these brands get good reviews. They use the silk dome or vifa ring tweeters which I think will give a more softer sound. I am not big on the in your face sound that sometimes comes from metal tweeters.
I have plenty of power to throw at them in my 16'x22' room. I have a Newcastle R965 and a b&k amp if that doesn't do the trick.

Anyone have anything to add about these two lines of speakers I would appreciate the insight.

Dan
Dan, I just finished off my system as I had purchased the Linbrook line from Ty back in August. I have the system II's, Linbrook center and some custom rears that Ty designed for me.

Until two weeks ago I was running them with a Sony STR-DA777es receiver that was a holdover from my first HT system which included some PSB Image series.

My amp is a Butler audio TDB-5150, preamp processor is the new Denon AVR-2807 and I also have a SVS PC-Ultra subwoofer.

I have refrained from doing any critical listening until I had totally got the system upgraded and I am freaking out over what I am hearing. This past weekend I had "The Greatest Game Ever Played" via Netflix and the soundtrack and special effects came alive in my system. .... I have every thing calibrated now and I'm enjoying everything I'm throwing at the system. The Butler amp mated with the Tyler Linbrooks is fantastic.

Another month or so and I will be giving a full review of the Linbrook system with an emphasis on the System II mains. Below are some pictures.... What they dont show is that I've added the brass cones to the mains along with some brass discs to protect my wood floor....

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/F117334.jpg
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/F117335.jpg
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/F117336.jpg
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/F117337.jpg
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/F117338.jpg
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/F117339.jpg
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/F117340.jpg

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/F117412.jpg

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/F117413.jpg
post #15 of 47 Old 04-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cajun_Mike,

I like your surrounds. I like them so much that I had Ty make a set for me. :)
They are quite a pain in the butt to get onto the wall (Didn't have enough speaker wire sticking out), but I attached some more wire and it was all good. An earlier poster asked if anyone was running these speakers for home theater. My Linbrook setup is used primarily for home theater and it is outstanding. I am very happy with my purchase, and have considered trading up to the super towers and super center. My fiance has shot that idea down though, so it is going to be a while till I can swing that.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #16 of 47 Old 04-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb
Cajun_Mike,

They are quite a pain in the butt to get onto the wall (Didn't have enough speaker wire sticking out), but I attached some more wire and it was all good. An earlier poster asked if anyone was running these speakers for home theater. My Linbrook setup is used primarily for home theater and it is outstanding. I am very happy with my purchase, and have considered trading up to the super towers and super center. My fiance has shot that idea down though, so it is going to be a while till I can swing that.
Come on be A MAN tell her you are going to trade up and she WILL like it. :)

Then let me know for I can tell my wife.

Just kidding

They do look sweet I am not sure how I am going to put my system together.
But liked talking to Ty and I look forward to dealing with him.
Allen
post #17 of 47 Old 04-19-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb
Cajun_Mike,

Those rear surrounds were a bit of a bitch to get mounted, but I'm far from being a handyman and I got it done. They sound awesome.
post #18 of 47 Old 04-20-2006, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_L
I think I'm getting the F-5, FC-2 and the F-3 for rears. Haven't made up my mind yet. I was looking at getting Onix Ref 3 (mains) & Ref 1.8's for the rears, but I can't find any demo.

I think Ty's speakers are an extrodinary value..

Regards,
Jose

I was set on the Freedom line myself. After speaking with Ty again, I told him that I would love to have the Taylo or Linbrook's but it was not in my budget. We talked for awhile and he explained alot to me about his speakers and speakers in general. Then he made me a great deal on the Taylo 7u's and the Taylo center that I could not refuse.
I am really looking forward to receiving them in about 2 weeks.

Dan
post #19 of 47 Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Has any Linbrook or Taylo owner hear a Onix Ref 3 speaker ?

I'm on the fence on how they compare to each other.

dan711, sounds like you got a great deal and no doubt you will enjoy your speakers..

Regards,
Jose
post #20 of 47 Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well,
The ref 3 has the same drivers as the ref 1 (just an additional woofer).

I really should put my freedoms and reference 1 in the same room to hear the differences I have never heard them side by side.

Seth

post #21 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas
Well,
The ref 3 has the same drivers as the ref 1 (just an additional woofer).
The Ref 3's have 2-7" Atohms and the Ref 1 has 1-5.25" Atohm, the Ref 3 also has the Magnetostat super tweeter. The only driver they really share is the Vifa tweeter.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #22 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My mistake. I think I was thinking of the 2's.

Seth

post #23 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 09:39 AM

Aren't the Onix made in China......... not that there is anything wrong with that... However, if all things were equal (and I don't believe they are), I'd buy from the good ole boy in Kentucky who is making those boxes with his own hands.
post #24 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 03:42 PM

I own both Tyler signature linbrooks and Onix 1.8. Both a very good speakers at what they were designed to do. For my ears the 1.8 is more forward and detailed the Linbrook is not as forward but is still very detailed. I do not like the 1.8 for theater I think they are a better suited for 2 channel music. the Tylers do both very well.
post #25 of 47 Old 04-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

radio66,

Do you have the Signature Monitors or Signature System ? (1piece or 2 piece)

I'm starting to lean more toward the Tyler's. Now it's a question of which.

Freedom's F5,F2-c, F3's or

Linbrook Center w/ 2 pairs of 7U styles monitors or

Taylo Center w/ 2 pairs of 7U's ..

The biggest difference is going w/ the millium tweeter vs the Scanspeak Revelator..

Anyone heard both the Linbrook and Taylo's ?

Regards,
Jose
post #26 of 47 Old 04-24-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The biggest difference is going w/ the millium tweeter vs the Scanspeak Revelator..

Regards,
Jose
I'd confirm that with TY if I were you. The difference in the cost of the tweeter (I don't even know which is higher), just does not justify the price differential.
post #27 of 47 Old 04-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl
I'd confirm that with TY if I were you. The difference in the cost of the tweeter (I don't even know which is higher), just does not justify the price differential.

Price differential between what ? The Taylo's & Linbrook Sig Monitors are the same price..

I checked on HTGuide.com about the diff. between the Mill. & Revelator , and both are very good tweeters.

I think I'll go w/ the millennium based speakers if I go that route. I did audition a pair of Signatures, so I have a reference for the Linbrook sound.

Regards,
Jose
post #28 of 47 Old 04-24-2006, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Price differential between what ? The Taylo's & Linbrook Sig Monitors are the same price..

I checked on HTGuide.com about the diff. between the Mill. & Revelator , and both are very good tweeters.

I think I'll go w/ the millennium based speakers if I go that route. I did audition a pair of Signatures, so I have a reference for the Linbrook sound.

Regards,
Jose
Sorry I thought I read where the Linbrooks were higher. All things equal I prefer the Seas, but I heard the 2 tweeters in different systems.
post #29 of 47 Old 04-24-2006, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Linbrooks are the more expensive line than the Taylo line. The Millenium Tweet is about 4x the cost of the Vifa Tweet. Not sure about the difference between Mill. and Scanspeak.
Ty mentioned to me that its not just tweeters and drivers that are more expensive in his upper line of speakers. There is more expensive wiring and crossover work involved as well.

Dan
post #30 of 47 Old 04-24-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
radio66,

Do you have the Signature Monitors or Signature System ? (1piece or 2 piece)

I'm starting to lean more toward the Tyler's. Now it's a question of which.

Freedom's F5,F2-c, F3's or

Linbrook Center w/ 2 pairs of 7U styles monitors or

Taylo Center w/ 2 pairs of 7U's ..

Anyone heard both the Linbrook and Taylo's ?

Regards,
Jose

I own the Signature tower (1 piece) the center and will be recieving the surround speakers in about 3 weeks also from the linbrook line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page