Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 74 Old 05-13-2006, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I finally broke down and chose the RS6 after 3 weeks of auditioning different speakers. I'm further impressed by them when I played them at home. The bass is tight and excellent, with quite a slam - the kind of bass you can feel when the music has it, even though I only played at moderate volume ~75 db. They replace my 14 yr old JBL that have a 10" woofer each. I'm amazed that a couple of 6" woofers on the RS6 can perform so well. This is quite an engineering accomplishment.

Now the midrange, it is very good. I can hear the words sung by the choir - crystal clear, like I hear them on the Sonus Faber floorstanders. Well I'm not saying that MA is equal to the Sonus Faber but that MA can perform well in this area. You see, I am not afraid to audition speakers I cannot afford but I regard the Sonus Faber as a sort of reference since I don't have real life performances to use as a reference. Well actually the Sonus Faber sound transparent but it's not a fair comparison since the Sonus were driven by Macintosh power amplifiers, while my humble MA are driven by a Denon receiver that costs $400. It is not that the MA is not transparent but that the Sonus sound more transparent but that's beyond many people's budget, or what many people are willing to spend for music reproduction.

Now in the high treble area, the MA sounds airy without sibilance, with the treble at -2 to compensate for the lack of "burn in" or "break in".

Overall the speakers sound smooth, crystal clear and neutral. As MA stated, they are "as close as it gets" (to real performance).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 05-13-2006, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the review Nick. Did you get a chance to hear the RS8s? I've heard people prefering the 6s, but wanted your opinion, if you had one.
post #3 of 74 Old 05-13-2006, 08:54 AM

Welcome to the MA club! I recommend playing with the speaker positioning - slight toe-in, nothing big in between the speakers and some distance from the walls. The MAs image very well and positioning helps get the best out of them.

Do you have the MA SLCR as well? I have the LCR and Silver 5i for mains and sound great!

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
post #4 of 74 Old 05-13-2006, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl View Post

Thanks for the review Nick. Did you get a chance to hear the RS8s? I've heard people prefering the 6s, but wanted your opinion, if you had one.

To be honest with you, the RS8 sounds fuller and the bass is clearer but I was not willing to pay 50% more for the RS8's bass. If I needed the bass, I can just turn on my sub. I think for most of my music, I can do without the sub, and that's why I chose the RS6. But if you listened to pipe organ music 50% of the time, then you would want the extra bass of the RS8. Also, in a small to medium size room, the RS6's are good enough. I like the lower tweeter and midrange heights of RS6 in a carpeted room since it is better acoustically in my opinion.

The RS8's playing Nora Jones, sound fuller than the RS6's. An RS8 has 2 woofers. The manual does not publish the xover point but I am guessing it is near 300 hz give or take 100 hz. The lowest female voice is a tad under 200 hz, and that may explain why the RS8's sound fuller. You would have to listen to them for yourself to see if that's worth the extra 500 dollars.
post #5 of 74 Old 05-13-2006, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhack View Post

Welcome to the MA club! I recommend playing with the speaker positioning - slight toe-in, nothing big in between the speakers and some distance from the walls. The MAs image very well and positioning helps get the best out of them.

Do you have the MA SLCR as well? I have the LCR and Silver 5i for mains and sound great!

I have them positioned with a slight toe-in, different distances from the rear wall and front wall.

For music, I just have a pair of RS6. For HT, I can switch to the "A" speakers - all Boston Acoustics CR series bookshelf speakers for fronts, center, rear and surrounds, plus my 11 year old JBL PS120 acoustic suspension sub.
post #6 of 74 Old 05-13-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by swwg View Post

Hi,

I finally broke down and chose the RS6 after 3 weeks of auditioning different speakers. I'm further impressed by them when I played them at home. The bass is tight and excellent, with quite a slam - the kind of bass you can feel when the music has it, even though I only played at moderate volume ~75 db. They replace my 14 yr old JBL that have a 10" woofer each. I'm amazed that a couple of 6" woofers on the RS6 can perform so well. This is quite an engineering accomplishment.

Now the midrange, it is very good. I can hear the words sung by the choir - crystal clear, like I hear them on the Sonus Faber floorstanders. Well I'm not saying that MA is equal to the Sonus Faber but that MA can perform well in this area. You see, I am not afraid to audition speakers I cannot afford but I regard the Sonus Faber as a sort of reference since I don't have real life performances to use as a reference. Well actually the Sonus Faber sound transparent but it's not a fair comparison since the Sonus were driven by Macintosh power amplifiers, while my humble MA are driven by a Denon receiver that costs $400. It is not that the MA is not transparent but that the Sonus sound more transparent but that's beyond many people's budget, or what many people are willing to spend for music reproduction.

Now in the high treble area, the MA sounds airy without sibilance, with the treble at -2 to compensate for the lack of "burn in" or "break in".

Overall the speakers sound smooth, crystal clear and neutral. As MA stated, they are "as close as it gets" (to real performance).

The RS6's truly are a bargain at that price. Personally, I am also a fan of their sound. I am glad you are enjoying them as that is the most important thing. Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #7 of 74 Old 05-13-2006, 12:39 PM

Along the same MA line here if I could...........

I'll be demo-ing some GS10's and GSLCR for my front compliment of speakers (LCR) this week. They will be in some combination or all one flavor of those mentioned.

Has anyone used the GS or GR 10's for a full compliment of front speakers as well as a full LCR of the GR or GS LCR speakers for front line audio?
post #8 of 74 Old 05-13-2006, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

The RS6's truly are a bargain at that price. Personally, I am also a fan of their sound. I am glad you are enjoying them as that is the most important thing. Have fun!

Surely I am having fun and enjoying music.
post #9 of 74 Old 05-13-2006, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Welcome to the RS6 club, I bought mine last year and definitely have no regrets. For their price range, and I auditioned many speakers in the same price range, I found them to be the best

Have fun.
post #10 of 74 Old 05-13-2006, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

Welcome to the RS6 club, I bought mine last year and definitely have no regrets. For their price range, and I auditioned many speakers in the same price range, I found them to be the best

Have fun.

Thanks Kevin12586.
post #11 of 74 Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 PM

I just ordered the RS6s in cherry yesterday. Getting rid of my old NHT 1.5s, which have served me well. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to this thread in the next few days.
post #12 of 74 Old 05-26-2006, 09:02 AM

Ok, I haven't spent a whole lot of time with them yet, but so far I really love these speakers. I am immediately struck by the balance of a huge, sweet soundstage, but yet the detail is amazing. The transients are what I'm really not used to-- everything is just so quick and crisp, both in the bass and midrange. I feel like I've been listening through molasses for years!

Like swwg, I am powering these with a midrange Denon receiver-- the 2803. I have a nice Velodyne sub (F1200R), but for the time being I've turned it off, so I can get a handle on just what the RS6s will do in the bass area. So far, I'm really impressed-- tight and clean.

Oh, and they're really beautiful too. The cherry finish is just gorgeous.
post #13 of 74 Old 09-21-2006, 06:47 PM

Hello all,

I just ordered the RS-6's (light oak). I'm a two-channel purist, and from the reviews I've read I think (and hope) that these will sound good according to my tastes, and will mate well with my tube amp.

I'm happy with my front end equipment. I have a Rega Jupiter CD player, A Cayin A-88T tube integrated amp, and Speltz's Anti-Cables for speaker cables (awesome cables). But the speaker department I've had some difficulty dialing in to what I will be happy with. The speakers I've had were:

Von Schweikert VR-1's - crisp sound but not much bass

Von Schweikert VR-2's - overpowering bass, not the best midrange

Currently Usher X-719's - excellent bass for a monitor, a bit recessed midrange and somewhat muddy highs

From what I've heard in reviews the RS-6's sound better than the 8's, at least for two channel music. The 6's look about the perfect size for what I'm looking for.

I'll keep you posted on my opinion on speaker when I receive them and have allowed them to burn in. Happy listening!
post #14 of 74 Old 09-21-2006, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi,

Great choice! While I own Paradigms, I just turned my friend onto the RS6's, the matching center and bookshelves for use as surrounds.

I actually like the MA series, from a sound quality perspective, BETTER than the Sonus Faber. Sure, Sonus Faber is Italian made, and composed of leather and exotic woods, but technically speaking, they are also rather colored. The Fabers are "voiced" to sound different, to make them stand out, but the MA's are actually more accurate.

Check out the frequency response graph on the RS6's from this Home Theater Mag review and notice how smooth and relatively flat they are.

http://hometheatermag.com/floorlouds...or/index2.html

Now look at the frequency response of this Sonus Faber Domus speaker. They may sound distinctive because of that dip in the midrange and the peak upper midrange, but they have a ways to go to be considered accurate.

http://hometheatermag.com/floorlouds...us/index2.html

- Tim

post #15 of 74 Old 09-21-2006, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hifisponge,

You made an excellent point!
post #16 of 74 Old 09-21-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

And you sir made an excellent choice. You may be able to find speakers that have more extended bass response than the RS6's, but you won't find many that are more accurate within their frequency response range. Enjoy!

- Tim

post #17 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Check out the frequency response graph on the RS6's from this Home Theater Mag review and notice how smooth and relatively flat they are.

i'm interested in the RS6, as well.. but a couple of things about this FR graph unsettle me:

most importantly, that spike up at 20kHz.. that looks painful. stereophile's FR graph showed the same thing.

now, i'm sure i can no longer hear up to that range, but my 4 yr old son probably can, and i plan to be doing quite a bit of listening with him. i don't want to either damage his hearing or teach him to be annoyed by music he should like, because of this harsh peak that i can't even hear.

secondly, MA rates the bass down to 40Hz or so (@ -6dB, i think), but this graph shows a steep drop off starting at 60Hz... that seems pretty poor for even a small floorstander, especially one with a dedicated woofer.

of course, i'll audition these to make my own decision, but that 20kHz spike still concerns me.

is the
post #18 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Vic, I doubt many people can hear sound above 20 KHz, and if they can, they aren't as apparent as sounds below that region. I wouldn't worry about it unless your hearing is similar to that of a canine. Of course, go with your gut and audition before purchasing; one should always do this.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #19 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 08:12 AM

Yeah, I think very few people actually hear above the 17-18k range. I remember reading somewhere that MA improved the metal dome tweeter by pushing the frequency bump that they all have up-- higher, out of range of hearing. Most metal dome tweeters have that "bump" lower, where it is easily heard, and which causes them to be labeled as harsh.

I've spent about 4 months with my RS6s now, and I would not characterize them as harsh or bright at all. In fact, they sound sweet to my ears. (I'm coming from nearly 10 years with NHT 1.5s) Also, the bass extension is very impressive to me-- so much so that I don't miss it when I turn my sub off.
post #20 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Vic, I doubt many people can hear sound above 20 KHz, and if they can, they aren't as apparent as sounds below that region. I wouldn't worry about it unless your hearing is similar to that of a canine. Of course, go with your gut and audition before purchasing; one should always do this.

reread my post.... i'm sure that I can't hear that high... but it's quite possible that my son can. and a 6dB spike is pretty dramatic.

let's say we're listening to music at 80-85dB. but the 20kHz is up at 86-91dB. it seems to me that that could potentially damage his hearing, and at the very least be quite irritating.

is the
post #21 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 AM

Oh, I forgot to add that I have a 3 year-old son who loves to listen to music with me. He even asks to listen to music on my system. I listen at realistic live-music levels-- not ear-bleeding, but not soft either.
post #22 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax View Post

reread my post.... i'm sure that I can't hear that high... but it's quite possible that my son can. and a 6dB spike is pretty dramatic.

let's say we're listening to music at 80-85dB. but the 20kHz is up at 86-91dB. it seems to me that that could potentially damage his hearing, and at the very least be quite irritating.

Yes....most of the younger crowd can definitely hear above 17khz.

There is actually a cellphone ringtone amongst high schoolers in that tone range. The kids can hear it, but not the teachers.

http://saunderslog.com/2006/06/12/th...t-can-hear-it/

I have kids that are 9 and 7. I used my computer speakers and tested the tones on them. While I can hear the 15khz tone, and have some kind of perception of the 17khz tone, my kids can hear it all and said "what the heck is that?" when I played them, and asked me to shut it off.

Also, to some, eventhough we can not hear tones that high, some perceive it and describe it as "more airy"....and some times in the long run, it gets irritating.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #23 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax View Post

It's good that you brought that up. The fundamental frequencies of musical instruments rarely get up there. Perhaps someone can fill in on the frequencies of electronic music.

Violin's highest fundamental frequency is a tad below 5kHz and the harmonics in the neighborhood of 20kHz is very low in amplitude. Cymbals fundamental frequency is in the neighborhood of 11kHz as far as I recall from memory and the harmonics at 19-22 kHz would be much lower in amplitude.

If you use a microphone, potentially the feedback could get up there but I have no experience with that.

I have posted the basics. If you are so inclined, you can search the Internet for more info on the frequencies of sound.

By the way, does it concern you that some amps are flat to 30kHz?

Anyway, yeah you should go by your own perception so that you can live with them.
post #24 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Violin's highest fundamental frequency is a tad below 5kHz and the harmonics in the neighborhood of 20kHz is very low in amplitude. Cymbals fundamental frequency is in the neighborhood of 11kHz as far as I recall from memory and the harmonics at 19-22 kHz would be much lower in amplitude.

Very true, but do you want the harmonics accurate, emphasized, or even de-emphasized in amplitude?

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #25 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's good that you brought that up. The fundamental frequencies of musical instruments rarely get up there. Perhaps someone can fill in on the frequencies of electronic music.

ok, well that certainly assuages my main concern. if harmonics and transients are really the only things reproduced at that frequency, then it's probably not an issue.

there's a hifi shop a few blocks away from me that carries these, so i'll be checking them out soon.

if anyone cares, i'm also thinking of trying out a pair of Ohm MicroWalsh Talls for about the same price. i like the idea of owning speakers that were built right across the river.

is the
post #26 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you use a microphone, potentially the feedback could get up there but I have no experience with that.

I have posted the basics. If you are so inclined, you can search the Internet for more info on the frequencies of sound.

By the way, does it concern you that some amps are flat to 30kHz?

Anyway, yeah you should go by your own perception so that you can live with them.

swwg has hit the nail on the head here. There are no fundamental musical tones in the range of that 20 KHz spike and even the harmonics are going to be so far down in level that at worst the spike would only flatten the response. Besides, a 20 KHz tone is so high that it sounds more like air than a tone. Even those young people that can hear 20 KHz are doing so with much less sensitivity than a midrange tone. The human ear is most sensitive in the 3-4 KHz range much less so by the time you reach 20 KHz.

Here's a diagram:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

As far as the bass response of the RS6, that roll off is a little better than average for speaker with only two 6.5 inch drivers.

- Tim

post #27 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Very true, but do you want the harmonics accurate, emphasized, or even de-emphasized in amplitude?

I thank the Lord I don't have the so called golden ears. As I am typing, my RS6s are playing "Cry Me a River" with trumpet and piano accompaniment and the music sounds silky smooth. What more do I want? Perhaps you have the "golden ears". If that is the case, you can buy flatter speakers like the Energy C-1 which I have and they are silky smooth when powered by an old HK AVR20.
post #28 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thank the Lord I don't have the so called golden ears. As I am typing, my RS6s are playing "Cry Me a River" with trumpet and piano accompaniment and the music sounds silky smooth. What more do I want? Perhaps you have the "golden ears". If that is the case, you can buy flatter speakers like the Energy C-1 which I have and they are silky smooth when powered by an old HK AVR20.

Agreed....it is what matters to you. I simply asked if your would like accurate hamonics as well as fundamentals.

If you read my post in this thread, you will see that I do not have golden ears.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #29 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Agreed....it is what matters to you. I simply asked if your would like accurate hamonics as well as fundamentals.

If you read my post in this thread, you will see that I do not have golden ears.

Okay I did not mean to annoy you. I sure would like a flat FR like this one:

I sometimes wonder how that would sound in comparison to the RS6. However, since the harmonics are outside my hearing range, I chose the RS6 over the B&W 603 S3, or the Vienna Acoustics Mozart, based on reviews and listening to them in person. I did not have the option to audition the Revel Concerta F12. Given the opportunity to listen to the F12, I would not be surprised if I picked them.
post #30 of 74 Old 09-22-2006, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Like it has been posted before, it is not all about FR.

Glad you found what you wanted spend your money on. That's what it is all about.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page